Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I hope you sat him down after the game and let him know racism is bad, Mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

I loved the original Adidas Adipure turf shoes I bought about 5 years ago - real leather, fit perfectly, plain black with white stripes, lasted forever. Just replaced them this year with something called 11pro, which seem similar but with a bit more yellow on them for no good reason.

The Adipures were great right until they became the 11pro or whatever the gently caress. They're not kangaroo leather anymore, either.

You can still find some good deals on NIB pairs on eBay, though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
If you aren't calling everyone on the pitch a loving piece of poo poo then you're playing in a bullshit league.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I never saw a difference between leather and synthetic. Some shoes are just made in a lovely manner, regardless of the materials used. My favorite shoes have been my old reebok SprintFit Pros which I've had since like 2006 or 2007.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Can I just say that I wear Patrick boots, they're black with a green trim, the only two acceptable colours in football, and cost £12 from Sports Direct. They are the perfect option for people with narrow lithe attractive feet.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I wonder if you wore green cleats it'd confuse the defenders cause your feet would blend in with the turf. Something to consider.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Where's this "post stuff you play in" picture thread that was being made? I've got a game in a bit and it'll be a good opportunity to show you all the world's greatest shinpads, I'll post them in here if not.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Kempo posted:

Where's this "post stuff you play in" picture thread that was being made? I've got a game in a bit and it'll be a good opportunity to show you all the world's greatest shinpads, I'll post them in here if not.

I must apologise for Breath Ray, he's a scammer and a shite. Please, do feel free to post them in here.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Bobby Digital posted:

You're supposed to batter the other players.

It's a give and take process :).

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I should technically hide out in the ref thread, but I figure I'd ask here since there's a bigger crowd.

Any pro tips for dealing with boot chafing? New boots (our season down here started over the weekend) and by the time I got to the sheds my heels were missing a layer of skin (at the back, slightly to the outside of the foot, just above ground level standing flat. Basically where the callous-y bit *should* be). My current plan is basically band-aids (I have some super-sticky large waterproof ones), then moleskin, then strapping tape to hold the moleskin in place. That and lacing my boots a bit less aggressively.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Thel posted:

I should technically hide out in the ref thread, but I figure I'd ask here since there's a bigger crowd.

Any pro tips for dealing with boot chafing? New boots (our season down here started over the weekend) and by the time I got to the sheds my heels were missing a layer of skin (at the back, slightly to the outside of the foot, just above ground level standing flat. Basically where the callous-y bit *should* be). My current plan is basically band-aids (I have some super-sticky large waterproof ones), then moleskin, then strapping tape to hold the moleskin in place. That and lacing my boots a bit less aggressively.

A bit of liquid bandage in the affected area before you put your socks on works great. Don't bother with actual band aids, they'll slip when you sweat and make it worse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thel posted:

I had the same problem, and I used a drop of Neosporin, a band-aid, and then I wrapped it lightly with athletic tape. Never tried the liquid bandage thing.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I've only had minor problems with chaffing, since I own Nike Mercurial Victory IIs (The Best Football Boot), but at first one of my toes was so perplexed by the superiority of the Nike Mercurial Victory IIs that he lost some skin and got irritated, so I put some duct tape over it.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Thel posted:

Just go down to SportsDirect (I assume you're in the UK?), Mercurial Vapors are only like £35.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I don't think he's from the UK. He says figure and band aid. Plus he voluntarily referees.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

A bit of liquid bandage in the affected area before you put your socks on works great. Don't bother with actual band aids, they'll slip when you sweat and make it worse.

Seconding this. Even the soft, squishy blister band-aid things will move around once you start running. Then once it's healed, some Band-Aid friction block will prevent any further blisters.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I don't know he said boots and not cleats, which I hate.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I played football with my male and female friends from meetup.com, and get this: I went commando :twisted:

I have to say, playing with girls makes the whole thing a lot less homoerotic, and I feel like I have to pass more. But these negative aspects don't bother me too much, and pretty soon I'll be scything them down like usual.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Breath Ray posted:

I played football with my male and female friends from meetup.com, and get this: I went commando :twisted:

I have to say, playing with girls makes the whole thing a lot less homoerotic, and I feel like I have to pass more. But these negative aspects don't bother me too much, and pretty soon I'll be scything them down like usual.

just wait until one studs you in the shin and you wont feel so bad about it

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I was playing pick up yesterday, and it was ok. At first it was awesome, I took up my position on the left wing where I proceeded to dominate the game, skin players 1v1, play nice 1-2s, link up with midfield and play in killer crosses. That went on for about 20 minutes, where I was just on point and making it happen. (And doing it in my $10 Walmart airspeed canvas sneakers amidst an ocean of neon colored synthetic boots) when all of a sudden like 8 more people show up and some kid thinks he can play my position better (he couldn't. Hey how was running yourself into trouble and passing to noone?) and just straight jacks it.

Anyway, we suddenly have 11 v 11 on half field, and it made me remember why I don't actually like pick up games. I turn to my team and say "alright, let's play some positions so its not just a mess" and the dude who put it together said "nah dude, we like to roam." So cue a traditional 5-7 man attack where no one passes the ball and everyone just dribbles into trouble. Frustrating. I spent most of the rest of the game shouting I was open or that someone was open and then shouting "or just dribble into 4 people."

If you're a new player I have one quick lesson: if you're going to dribble, dribble away from people not into them. But if you're going to play soccer: pass the drat ball.

That's my bitter rant, I can't wait to start playing for real again. The time off really helped me, injuries are hopefully behind me after a year off the field spent training and rehabbing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

I went commando :twisted:

I have to say, playing with girls makes the whole thing a lot less homoerotic

Are you hoping that one of the girls falls in love with your junk when it accidentally slips out during a high trap?

Personally, I'm quite thankful that mine is locked down tight whenever a girl barely half my age does a Jose Enrique style block on me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Started playing again after a month on injury and I came back to practice. Half way through I got dubbed Frank the Tank because I am big (215 pounds) pretty packet and pretty much belly bounce attackers off me.

Feels good man.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Got the return game against that team of arseholes we played earlier in the year tonight. Shin guards in, heavy boots on...

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

lol they beat us 4-0 and they were fine. Complete opposite of last time, even apologised for some questionable tackles. Turns out that when they're not kicking and stamping they're a really good team.

Our goalie started mouthing off at the ref at 2-0 so as a result he gave them some questionable calls, which was to be expected really I guess.

Never mind.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Out with a back muscle strain, so I could only stand in the sidelines and watch my team squander a 3 goal lead and lose 6-3. :qq:

E: Forgot the best part. The other team was bringing the ball down the left wing, no big hurry, we were giving them space and still dropping back, when their two forwards ran behind our last man and were offside. The ref called them offside, stopped play, and awarded us a free kick, even though their winger never passed the ball.

Later he gave a yellow to one of our girls for sliding (not allowed in our league) even though she stayed on her feet the entire time, and stopped play to give another yellow to a teammate for "kicking someone a while ago" (his exact words).

Lazlow fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 15, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We drew 0-0 today and I missed a stone cold sitter from 6 yards. Had the ball squared to me and hit it straight at the keeper. Anywhere else and I would have scored. And there were 5 minutes left. My loving life.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?
My team played its first game of the spring season tonight. 34F/1C and raining through the first half until it turned to sleet at half time. Second half we were playing into the wind which is wonderful when there are thousands of little ice pellets hitting your face. The other team was a man short with no subs and we won 3-0 though we should have probably won by more. I was able to sneak in the opening goal by shooting hard and low from just outside the box. It snuck through the arms of their keeper who was wearing a soaking wet winter coat but gently caress it I'll take it :colbert:

Still had a great time (winning helps I suppose). Here in Minnesota it's been a miserable spring, soccer's about the only reason I would spend any amount of time outside right now. Can't wait to be able to play outside regularly.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

How do you guys bounce back from a poo poo practice. Where everything goes wrong. Bad touches. Cramps. Bad passes.

Not sure if my work schedule has something to do with it (5am till 5pm no lunch break generally) but goddamn if I wasn't sucking large amounts o rear end last night.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

How do you guys bounce back from a poo poo practice. Where everything goes wrong. Bad touches. Cramps. Bad passes.

Not sure if my work schedule has something to do with it (5am till 5pm no lunch break generally) but goddamn if I wasn't sucking large amounts o rear end last night.

I'd say your work schedule does indeed have something to do with it, but there's probably not a whole hell of a lot you can do about that, so just use your down time wisely and unwind properly. Do something you enjoy that doesn't take a lot of brain or body power. And of course make sure you get plenty of sleep.

I'm sure most will laugh, but seriously, I do some meditative yoga before games, because my biggest problem when playing is nerves and shaky confidence, especially after a lovely streak. I'm sure you can find something online, but I got a Gaiam video for cheap at Target (http://rodneyyeeyogastore.com/120-1306.html) and I like it fine. Looks like that might be on YouTube, too, so bonus. I certainly can't do all the poses perfectly, and I have no idea if I meditate "correctly" (I'm sure it's subjective), but just the fact that I'm calm for a half-hour really helps.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lazlow posted:

Later he gave a yellow to one of our girls for sliding (not allowed in our league) even though she stayed on her feet the entire time, and stopped play to give another yellow to a teammate for "kicking someone a while ago" (his exact words).

When I was playing in a rec league I took the place of our keeper because he had to ref another game. The ref gave the other team a penalty for "slide tackling" because I dove at someone's feet to grab the ball, and he kicked me in the head and gave me a nice concussion. Saved the penalty though :smug:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

When I was playing in a rec league I took the place of our keeper because he had to ref another game. The ref gave the other team a penalty for "slide tackling" because I dove at someone's feet to grab the ball, and he kicked me in the head and gave me a nice concussion. Saved the penalty though :smug:

I got cautioned for this for "faking an injury" in a tournament final when I was 15. I was out cold and everything.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Played my first real game. Got subbed on as a forward for some dumb reason and finally got told to go play center back. I almost scored one and saved one for our team. In a span of 20 minutes.

This was after the head coach asked the assistant who was in charge of the game "you are sending Soulex on? I thought you wanted to win this game?"

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Soulex posted:

"you are sending Soulex on? I thought you wanted to win this game?"
Haha, awesome vote of confidence.
I was playing some pick up today (league starting end of may I think), got a couple goals, good passes, took on some people and felt ok. I don't think I've run in a game yet this year though.

Anyway the real reason I'm posting is because our keeper was literally attacked by the goal. These kwik-goals that were set up apparently were not set up properly because he went to lean on the post and the whole thing came down and jacked up his hand pretty good. So uh, check your goals.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Scored an absolute screamer today. The keeper blocked a shot and the ball came rolling straight out to me where I was lurking just outside the left corner of the area; stepped up, head down, knee over the ball, put my laces straight through that motherfucker, followed through, landed on my shooting foot. Went straight over the keeper's hands and just under the bar, loving rocket of a shot. Amazing what you can do when you keep calm and do what your coaches taught you.

I then proceeded to duff an easy one at the top of the box and send it wide, then completely hosed up a breakaway by diddling around too long. :smith:

Still won 3-0 though, and mine was the first, so as my buddy says, I scored the winning goal. :unsmith:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
How often do your teams practice? The team I'm sort-of playing with does Sunday scrimmages and Tuesday matches. Sometimes people will come out to play on Saturday, but that's not very frequent.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

We got beaten 1-0 by a new team

A new team of 40-something out of shape dads who all had their kids and wives cheering.

Urgh, we're so poo poo, think we need to re-evaluate the way we play, we're quite a new team tbf

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a painful ankle injury playing last night. I'd like to say it was from being scythed down while on a mazy run, or busting a gut to run back and put in a tackle. In reality, I panicked just before passing to a player who was rapidly being closed down and managed to kick myself hard enough to cause a bruise. On the plus side, nabbed a hat trick.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I need to learn how to shoot. I am great on D but in practice I just embarrass myself.

Finally can do Keepy ups for about 20 seconds now. Lets me feel more confident with first touches. Though the wall training is superior.

Hopefully coach will not think so less of me now :(

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Had a 90min last night and after 10mins my right contact lens popped out.

So for the next 80mins I had to play with almost no depth perception and was thoroughly confused.

I usually play as an attacking mid, but decided to go up front since i constantly misplaced passes but my shots were still good.

Second later i scored the first, nutmegging the keeper with a cheeky backheel, later fumbled one in when the keeper couldn't hold onto a ball after a shot and made an assist with the cheeky backheel again.

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Playing with contacts is frustrating. I wish I were rich enough to afford laser eye surgery.