Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't really get the musical part of Arranger. I don't get what makes specific instruments better than others. In the few musical battles I've had, I just chose instruments randomly, got scolded for choosing something inappropriate, and then won the battle anyway just by fingertap mashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.
Arranger is fantastic but I seem to get a sore head if I play for too long squinting at the blocky shapes.

I've been totally sucked in by Bridge Constructor, are there any other specific building type sims worth looking at?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Corridor posted:

I don't really get the musical part of Arranger. I don't get what makes specific instruments better than others. In the few musical battles I've had, I just chose instruments randomly, got scolded for choosing something inappropriate, and then won the battle anyway just by fingertap mashing.
They all start at different levels of completion based on how 'appropriate' they are for the song you need. Like, loud instruments aren't the best for the lullaby, and the "somber" clarinet isn't good for cheering the king up. You can win with anything, but if you choose the right instruments you only need to hit once with each one for a win.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Palpek posted:

The real question is whether you like waiting for your car to be repaired (or pay $ to do it instantly) and bare with all the microtransactions:

The $503 iOS Racing Game: The Expensive Reality of the IAP Economics in Real Racing 3

I can't speak to actually getting all the cars (I quit playing long before car prices seemed unattainable), but I can say that the repair wait times aren't a big deal. They screwed up balancing that mechanic in a way that's good for players, actually - as soon as you get 2-3 cars (a couple hours of play), you never have to stop playing while something repairs. You just switch to another car. This is really weird, because it means the most bullshit wait times are right at the start, which is when most free/IAP games are generous.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Boxman posted:

I can't speak to actually getting all the cars (I quit playing long before car prices seemed unattainable), but I can say that the repair wait times aren't a big deal. They screwed up balancing that mechanic in a way that's good for players, actually - as soon as you get 2-3 cars (a couple hours of play), you never have to stop playing while something repairs. You just switch to another car. This is really weird, because it means the most bullshit wait times are right at the start, which is when most free/IAP games are generous.

In the article it says, "that does not include the cost for repairs, maintenance, or upgrades". Their figures just cover the time/monetary costs of 100%ing the game, i.e. getting every car and winning every race.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Original_Z posted:

The worst part of Zynga Poker is that you just get idiots who constantly go all in, even when they have poo poo cards. It's horrible playing tournament matches, half of the players go all in on the 1st round and completely stack the flow of the game to one person for no reason.

This is why I'm super bummed that Apple's poker game was pulled--it was pretty fun and was single player so you didn't have these issues. There isn't really anything to replace it that isn't full of IAP or requires you to play online.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm loving dying to play Leviathan warships. By saying it has cross platform play, I wonder if you have to buy the game multiple times or if buying the PC version nets you an iOS version. Also, for the life of me I can't tell is it's playable on an iPhone 5 or if it's an iPad only game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I'm loving dying to play Leviathan warships. By saying it has cross platform play, I wonder if you have to buy the game multiple times or if buying the PC version nets you an iOS version. Also, for the life of me I can't tell is it's playable on an iPhone 5 or if it's an iPad only game.

I thought they meant/said that it was cross platform multiplayer.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

NESguerilla posted:

Me too. It reminds me a lot of a board game called Leviathans I played at GenCon a couple years ago (I wonder why, durrrrrr). It was loads of fun, and while I wasn't about to shell out $80 for such a niche board game, and I never followed up on its release/reception, this new iOS game has me hoping for a similar experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^Yeah it has this kind of playing with toys aesthetic that makes me really want to play it. Also, the amount of ship customization looks glorious.

Sad lions posted:

I thought they meant/said that it was cross platform multiplayer.

It cloud saves so you can continue the campaign on any device. I'm not sure if MP is cross platform.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 22, 2013

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Original_Z posted:

The worst part of Zynga Poker is that you just get idiots who constantly go all in, even when they have poo poo cards. It's horrible playing tournament matches, half of the players go all in on the 1st round and completely stack the flow of the game to one person for no reason.

That's not a Zynga problem, that's an "all online poker everywhere ever" problem, especially in tournament play. Hell, I've seen that all the time in low-stakes real money tournaments online. Of course, it is magnified a little on Zynga since half the people have been playing forever and have 30 billion chips, but maniac players are everywhere.

Echoing the guy who said it's too bad Apple pulled their single player Hold 'Em. I still have it on my device, but it's a shame everyone can't get it. It's surprisingly good.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm not big into poker, but I settled on Theta Poker as my go-to hold 'em game. It's single player only, and it's not pretty, but tons of poker people seem to think it's great and has awesome AI or algorithms or some poo poo. And there are lots of complicated options/stats to mess with.

Zynga hold 'em looks like a goddamned Facebook game. And it's Zynga. I tried it out, but couldn't bring myself to get into it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

War of Eclipse looks great but it is annoyingly hard in wrong ways. If you can't hit the critical on the bigger enemies then you are basically going to take a bunch of damage, and fixing that poo poo up will negate any money you made from the win.

It's probably a better game to play on an actual phone when you can just pull it out while waiting for a bus or something. iPad is sort of overblown for this game.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
To anyone playing that Simpsons Tapped Out game:

There is a buried options menu where you can turn on "notify me before spending donuts". I've accidentally spent too many donuts rushing timers before seeing that.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Anyone else play the Jurassic Park game? I just started and wondered if the game becomes paywall city later the way some freemium games do.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Jet Ready Go posted:

Anyone else play the Jurassic Park game? I just started and wondered if the game becomes paywall city later the way some freemium games do.

I'll save you the trouble: it's pay wall city. Many dinosaurs are straight up cash only.

In better news, a new Cut the Rope is out and it's pretty good.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
AppShopper is back on the store (now "AppShopper Social"), for anyone that missed it before the takedown. Hopefully the social angle's enough to let it stay up this time, but either way, I'd snag it fast.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shalinor posted:

AppShopper is back on the store (now "AppShopper Social"), for anyone that missed it before the takedown. Hopefully the social angle's enough to let it stay up this time, but either way, I'd snag it fast.
I've been using the old app and it's updating with price drops etc. just fine. Any reason to switch to this new one?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Make sure you check out THE iDOLM@STER SHINY FESTA Rhythmic Record! It's only 55 dollars! http://appshopper.com/games/the-idolmster-shiny-festa%E3%80%80rhythmic-record

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

I've been using the old app and it's updating with price drops etc. just fine. Any reason to switch to this new one?

iPhone 5 screen

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kenny Logins posted:

This one's on the App Store and can be updated, and you might as well have both, since it doesn't replace the other one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Necroneocon posted:

Make sure you check out THE iDOLM@STER SHINY FESTA Rhythmic Record! It's only 55 dollars! http://appshopper.com/games/the-idolmster-shiny-festa%E3%80%80rhythmic-record
And based on the screenshots, it even has DLC!

EDIT: Oh, bro, you can't just buy the Rhythmic Record edition, you also have to pick up the companion apps, Melodic Disc and Harmonic Score, each also for $54.99:
http://appshopper.com/games/the-idolmster-shiny-festa%E3%80%80melodic-disc
http://appshopper.com/games/the-idolmster-shiny-festa%E3%80%80harmonic-score

EDIT 2: Uh, so the Appshopper app added iPhone 5 support but it took out iPad universal support? That's... odd. Ah, it even mentions it in the description. Weird.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 22, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

iPhone 5 screen

Is there anything the new one does that the old doesn't? Or something the old one does that the new one doesn't? I don't use twitter and I don't care about any of this social nonsense.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Bummey posted:

Is there anything the new one does that the old doesn't? Or something the old one does that the new one doesn't? I don't use twitter and I don't care about any of this social nonsense.
Well, the new one doesn't have ads, unlike the old one. And I just found out while playing around with it that both versions let you enable Push notifications for just price drops instead of including app updates too :downs:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bummey posted:

Don't lose your old one, it has features that were cut for the Social version:
http://gigaom.com/2013/04/22/appshopper-returns-to-ios-app-store-with-more-social-approach/

quote:

If you’re familiar with the old version of the app, what you’ll find missing from AppShopper Social are the What’s New and Top 200 lists. Thankfully the Wish List and My Apps lists are still present and are linked to my AppShopper.com account data. While I may not be able to use the new app to shop for apps that are trending toward the tops of the lists, I will at least be able to track all of the apps on my Wish List again.

Another notable difference from the old app is a switch from a Popular list of apps to a new Stream list. The Stream, as AppShopper calls it, is a continuous list of app recommendations that have been made by the friends you have added to your friends list. Your friends list can be compiled by manually adding other users within the app. You can also enter your Twitter account credentials, which will let you add all of those you follow in Twitter that also have AppShopper accounts as friends. Attaching AppShopper to your Twitter account is currently not required, as I was able to add quite a few AppShopper friends to my list without linking my Twitter account directly.

So, you're losing What's New, Popular, and Top 200. I use What's New on Wednesday nights to find new games and Popular all the time to see the latest drops to free on apps that I haven't Wishlisted yet. I can't lose those features...

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

JazzFlight posted:

And based on the screenshots, it even has DLC!

EDIT: Oh, bro, you can't just buy the Rhythmic Record edition, you also have to pick up the companion apps, Melodic Disc and Harmonic Score, each also for $54.99:
http://appshopper.com/games/the-idolmster-shiny-festa%E3%80%80melodic-disc
http://appshopper.com/games/the-idolmster-shiny-festa%E3%80%80harmonic-score

EDIT 2: Uh, so the Appshopper app added iPhone 5 support but it took out iPad universal support? That's... odd. Ah, it even mentions it in the description. Weird.

So for the low, low, low price of $165 (plus DLC) you can have the full (well, no, just the rhythm game) IDOLM@STER experience! Well done, SCAMCO. :) Wonder how many people will bite on this one. Huh, and you thought SquareEnix was insane with their pricing....

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

oblomov posted:

So for the low, low, low price of $165 (plus DLC) you can have the full (well, no, just the rhythm game) IDOLM@STER experience! Well done, SCAMCO. :) Wonder how many people will bite on this one. Huh, and you thought SquareEnix was insane with their pricing....

The DLC is crazy money prices on XBOX too. I bought one of those over here in Hong Kong because I haven't had a good rhythm game since Elite Beat Agents and there were ten million of them on the shelves and shut up. Actually quite a good game the one time I played it, though I worry about being put on a government watch list just for owning it, because it's about picking your favourite barely legal J-pop girls and getting them to dance and sing through songs.

The DLC that showed up in the store was something like 1600 MS funbucks for one extra song or costume. That's like $20. For one extra song or (and it was hard to tell from the description) some kind of special outfit for a girl. I think the deal is that the people that are into this game, are REALLY into this game.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Parkingtigers posted:

The DLC is crazy money prices on XBOX too. I bought one of those over here in Hong Kong because I haven't had a good rhythm game since Elite Beat Agents and there were ten million of them on the shelves and shut up. Actually quite a good game the one time I played it, though I worry about being put on a government watch list just for owning it, because it's about picking your favourite barely legal J-pop girls and getting them to dance and sing through songs.

The DLC that showed up in the store was something like 1600 MS funbucks for one extra song or costume. That's like $20. For one extra song or (and it was hard to tell from the description) some kind of special outfit for a girl. I think the deal is that the people that are into this game, are REALLY into this game.

Huh, that's ridiculous. So.... one song plus probably an outfit or something for $20 vs something like 3 songs for $5 with Sega Hatsune Miku series (pick the platform)? That's a little adventurous... I mean Sega's Hatsune Miku games for iOS are outright reasonable in comparison (and I have the 2nd, though didn't buy the DLCs).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Trustworthy posted:

I'm not big into poker, but I settled on Theta Poker as my go-to hold 'em game. It's single player only, and it's not pretty, but tons of poker people seem to think it's great and has awesome AI or algorithms or some poo poo. And there are lots of complicated options/stats to mess with.

Zynga hold 'em looks like a goddamned Facebook game. And it's Zynga. I tried it out, but couldn't bring myself to get into it.

Thanks for recommending this. Like you said, graphically it is a little primitive but the poker seems solid.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

oblomov posted:

Huh, that's ridiculous. So.... one song plus probably an outfit or something for $20 vs something like 3 songs for $5 with Sega Hatsune Miku series (pick the platform)? That's a little adventurous... I mean Sega's Hatsune Miku games for iOS are outright reasonable in comparison (and I have the 2nd, though didn't buy the DLCs).

As far as I can tell the entire gimmick of idolmaster, which Namco puts in everything (even Ace Combat :negative: ), is making you pay triple digit prices for poo poo anyone else would make you pay $5 for.

It works, too. I don't even know.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm gonna just chalk IDOLM@STER up to some sort of subtle cultural difference between Japan and USA I don't fully understand, because I could never see paying $54.99 for a game (with DLC) on my cell phone.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Anyone else playing Golf star? Add me as a friend and let's have a round. Name's Gallilee.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

robodex posted:

I'm gonna just chalk IDOLM@STER up to some sort of subtle cultural difference between Japan and USA I don't fully understand, because I could never see paying $54.99 for a game (with DLC) on my cell phone.

I agree that this is just weird. However, keep in mind you see quite a few VNs on Japanese Store and those run full prices (so $30-40) I believe. That said, I mean, I could see it go for say $39.99 on PSN or something, but this is just insanity. Heck, I could even imagine full Idolm@ster 2 port for that much but not the rhythm game.

Edit: I would easily pay that for either Persona 3 FES with PSP features or Persona 4 Golden on my iPad (with proper resolution)! Hear that, Atlus? (yes, I have both on my Vita).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

robodex posted:

I probably would drop $40 if it was a proper release that had the whole manager half of the game. Without that it seems like it's just a anime rhythm game which you could probably get for way cheaper and better on the ios.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

StarkRavingMad posted:

That's not a Zynga problem, that's an "all online poker everywhere ever" problem, especially in tournament play. Hell, I've seen that all the time in low-stakes real money tournaments online. Of course, it is magnified a little on Zynga since half the people have been playing forever and have 30 billion chips, but maniac players are everywhere.

Echoing the guy who said it's too bad Apple pulled their single player Hold 'Em. I still have it on my device, but it's a shame everyone can't get it. It's surprisingly good.

This is why we added private tables, where you can invite players you know for games. You can also browse tables and see who's playing at them.

Finally we let you see the stats on the players, and you can get a pretty good idea of who is bluffing all the time. We don't have the number of players Zynga has, but we have some very good players in the game. Particularly at the higher blinds.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

gallilee posted:

Anyone else playing Golf star? Add me as a friend and let's have a round. Name's Gallilee.

I'm playing, if anyone wants to add me I'm triplexpac on there

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Shalinor posted:

I think I'm missing something here since I don't read this thread often. Why was the original appshopper app removed? I'm not a huge fan of online social services so I don't really know what's up with that.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Parkingtigers posted:

.... I haven't had a good rhythm game since Elite Beat Agents ...

Are there any other replacements for this? I've tried osu! but most of the beat maps just feel off somehow :negative:

Though it may just be that you have to obscure the screen with your finger instead of a thin stylus like EBA/OTO had.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

DrManiac posted:

I probably would drop $40 if it was a proper release that had the whole manager half of the game. Without that it seems like it's just a anime rhythm game which you could probably get for way cheaper and better on the ios.

Well, yeah, that would be somewhat palatable. For music rhythm game, I think Hatsune Miku is a better bet:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miku-flick/id503098602?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miku-flick-02/id543121231?mt=8

Cheaper, better, more songs, cheaper DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Beef Assistant posted:

I think I'm missing something here since I don't read this thread often. Why was the original appshopper app removed? I'm not a huge fan of online social services so I don't really know what's up with that.

Apple is wildly inconsistent with what they will and won't allow on the store. AppShopper's reason for being pulled was that it promoted other apps. That's it. Of course, the zillions of apps with tapjoy support, not to mention Touch Arcade's AppShopper for Games, remain unmolested. Who knows?

• Locked thread