Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah the big changes that made everything more accessible (like no separate business space/address needed, affordable dev kits, payouts, etc) weren't really officially rolled out and detailed publicly up until pretty recently like at GDC and some recent indie conferences.

It'll be interesting how the indie space on consoles works out. Sony is still pushing for it, Nintendo seems to be embracing it fully...and MS seems to not give a poo poo about it anymore at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

japtor posted:

It'll be interesting how the indie space on consoles works out. Sony is still pushing for it, Nintendo seems to be embracing it fully...and MS seems to not give a poo poo about it anymore at this point.

Not give a poo poo? Theyre practically going out of their way to gently caress it up!

All game developers considering release on Xbox should just look at the series of horrific events known as Skullgirls. Its pretty clear that their policy is 'unless youre important, gently caress you'

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think it's "heresy" so much as it's fairly naive thinking. Nintendo has a lot of money. Nintendo makes a lot of money. As little as Nintendo wants to gently caress up a home console, they can afford to do it. A few times, even!

What is naive about it? Practically everyone buys Nintendo systems today just to play Nintendo software. There isn't a convincing reason for them to be making home consoles anymore, and selling software on all platforms would make them more money.

quote:

Most of the folks you see peddling the idea that Nintendo might go the way of Sega anytime soon are of the mindset "I want to play Nintendo games on [platform of choice], and if I believe hard enough, it'll happen!"

People want to play Nintendo games on other platforms so they don't have to buy a system for one or two games that will end up gathering dust after they're completed. It seems like you view the possibility of abandoning the console hardware market as a defeat for Nintendo, and I don't understand why, because it would be a great business move for Nintendo and would allow them to reach many more gamers. I'm not saying it will happen, but I do think it would be the smartest move for Nintendo's longevity.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Right, and for like a decade, they left out polygons, ran at twice the frame-rate yet skipped frames, had flickering issues, etc. While that's fine when you're looking to steal games, that's not fine when you're the original company re-releasing a game.

Nintendo's emulated version of Super Mario Bros. on the Wii had inaccurate sound emulation that rendered Mario's jump incorrectly despite Nintendo having first-hand hardware documentation, so it's not as if they have a fantastically high standard for emulated re-releases. Some of the Genesis games in particular had notoriously poor audio emulation.

Super FX limitations in the original Zsnes and Snes9x releases were due to lack of documentation among a group of hobbyists that was reverse-engineering a proprietary chip to run on the ~200Mhz processors of the time. It's hard to believe the Wii U can't handle emulation of both versions of the Super FX chip. The more likely holdup is getting permission from all the various pieces of what was formerly Argonaut Games, the creator of the Super FX, to emulate the chip.

I'm not sure where the "looking to steal games" angle came from.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Toady posted:

People want to play Nintendo games on other platforms so they don't have to buy a system for one or two games that will end up gathering dust after they're completed. It seems like you view the possibility of abandoning the console hardware market as a defeat for Nintendo, and I don't understand why, because it would be a great business move for Nintendo and would allow them to reach many more gamers. I'm not saying it will happen, but I do think it would be the smartest move for Nintendo's longevity.

Can't you apply this same argument to the 360 and PS3 as well? Why should I buy a 360 when they should just sell Halo and Gears of War on PS3 or why should I buy a PS3 when they should sell God of War and Little Big Planet on 360? Why should I buy a console at all when all games should just be available on pc? Exclusives are a substantial reason behind different consoles existing to begin with.

At least Nintendo offers an experience different enough to distinguish itself from the sameness of the 360/PS3 and i'd argue we could do without one of those before selfishly hoping Nintendo gets out of the hardware business.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Can't you apply this same argument to the 360 and PS3 as well? Why should I buy a 360 when they should just sell Halo and Gears of War on PS3 or why should I buy a PS3 when they should sell God of War and Little Big Planet on 360? Why should I buy a console at all when all games should just be available on pc? Exclusives are a substantial reason behind different consoles existing to begin with.

The 360 and PS3 receive a wide variety of cross-platform games. It's rare that someone buys a 360 or PS3 and only plays platform-exclusive games. Nintendo, however, is more famous today for its software than its hardware. The Wii U is barely getting any new games other than Nintendo software, and Nintendo is too small to make games on a more frequent basis, so there are these unfortunate dry spells. You end up with a Nintendo console gathering dust that only exists to play the next Mario or Zelda game.

quote:

At least Nintendo offers an experience different enough to distinguish itself from the sameness of the 360/PS3 and i'd argue we could do without one of those before selfishly hoping Nintendo gets out of the hardware business.

"Selfishly"? I don't understand.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Toady posted:

Nintendo's emulated version of Super Mario Bros. on the Wii had inaccurate sound emulation that rendered Mario's jump incorrectly despite Nintendo having first-hand hardware documentation, so it's not as if they have a fantastically high standard for emulated re-releases. Some of the Genesis games in particular had notoriously poor audio emulation.

Super FX limitations in the original Zsnes and Snes9x releases were due to lack of documentation among a group of hobbyists that was reverse-engineering a proprietary chip to run on the ~200Mhz processors of the time. It's hard to believe the Wii U can't handle emulation of both versions of the Super FX chip. The more likely holdup is getting permission from all the various pieces of what was formerly Argonaut Games, the creator of the Super FX, to emulate the chip.

I'm not sure where the "looking to steal games" angle came from.
It's fairly typical for tribal knowledge to disappear in twenty years' time, especially when things aren't necessarily documented well or adhered to in the first place and the rights/docs get sharded between divisions as you point out. From what I recall from serious-business reverse engineering efforts of the SuperFX chip and similar hardware, it was revealed there were a couple of games that relied on specific quirks like "It just so happens if you throw these bits in this order during the course of the game, the chip will return this oddball number each time" that certainly wasn't part of the actual original spec. That kind of weird bullshit makes emulation hard to deal with.

The stealing line was going to be paired with a quip about deleting roms after 24 hours but I had to run out the door v:v:v

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Toady posted:

What is naive about it? Practically everyone buys Nintendo systems today just to play Nintendo software. There isn't a convincing reason for them to be making home consoles anymore, and selling software on all platforms would make them more money.

That certainly worked for Sega.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My copy of Lego City: Undercover arrived in the mail today. Game's drat fun, but I don't see why there's so many vehicles to unlock - why would I want to drive anything except the Relocator? It's a truck with a rocket engine strapped to the back. Anything you hit while using the booster just explodes in a shower of blocks :unsmigghh:.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

drat, I haven't been following the U scene in a while but, after checking software sales in Japan for the past week looking for 3DS info, I noticed that in two weeks the U version of Dragon Quest X sold less than 50.000 copies. That, right there, is a sign the country pretty much disowned the system. Even as a MMO, it's Dragon Quest for heaven's sake -- the Wii version released last year sold 800.000 copies in just the first week.

I'm really curious if Nintendo will ever find a way to get out of this hole they got themselves into.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's a port, and a bare bones one at that, on a system that can play the original with no qualms.

I think those of you thinking Nintendo should drop out of the console biz are neglecting they currently make money on every piece of software and licensed accessory sold even if they don't make it. I bet Zelda would sell loads more on PS4/Xbox, but Nintendo's cut wouldn't be 100% anymore and they wouldn't be getting any licensing fees from third parties.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wait, is Dragon Quest X literally just the same game? Not like how MH3U is the same game with twice the content, or Batman with some extra features? Yeah, I'm not sure what they were expecting.

Yeah the WiiU is currently a mess, but they pulled the 3DS out of a deep dark hole and now its the best system available. Maybe lightning can strike twice??? I'm optimistic :unsmith:.

I wonder how many people from the team that planned the 3DS was on the team that planned the WiiU? Or even if there was some overlap in decision-making for the two consoles making that led to this situation.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Saoshyant posted:

drat, I haven't been following the U scene in a while but, after checking software sales in Japan for the past week looking for 3DS info, I noticed that in two weeks the U version of Dragon Quest X sold less than 50.000 copies. That, right there, is a sign the country pretty much disowned the system. Even as a MMO, it's Dragon Quest for heaven's sake -- the Wii version released last year sold 800.000 copies in just the first week.

I'm really curious if Nintendo will ever find a way to get out of this hole they got themselves into.

You'd really think that number would be higher than it is, I mean they even gave out free DQ10 beta codes for anyone who bought a Deluxe bundle over there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The free Rayman Legends challenge app is hitting the PAL eShop this week. I imagine it'll probably show up in NA this week, too; Ubisoft are usually pretty reliable on that front.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When do people suspect the Spring update with Virtual Console will be, this Thursday? I'm super looking forward to it.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

DQX has been released for the Wii U? I've actually been waiting for this version to come out, but it's crazy how it's sold so poorly. I'm hoping that it's because there's no way to transfer saves and it'll be pointless to remove a year of progress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

When do people suspect the Spring update with Virtual Console will be, this Thursday? I'm super looking forward to it.

They said the VC will launch on "the day after the update"; big firmware updates usually go live worldwide on Wednesday JP time, which would put the VC launch on Thursday, but the NOA site has some of the VC launch titles dated for a Tuesday release... so to answer your question, who knows.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

The 360 and PS3 receive a wide variety of cross-platform games. It's rare that someone buys a 360 or PS3 and only plays platform-exclusive games. Nintendo, however, is more famous today for its software than its hardware. The Wii U is barely getting any new games other than Nintendo software, and Nintendo is too small to make games on a more frequent basis, so there are these unfortunate dry spells. You end up with a Nintendo console gathering dust that only exists to play the next Mario or Zelda game.

"Selfishly"? I don't understand.

I can't see myself playing Mario on a PC.

I can see myself playing every PS3/360 game ever made on one.

That's why it always seems dumb for people to want Nintendo to be the company that chokes. Nintendo is a gaming company. Their innovations are up until recently always rooted in improving or changing your gaming experience. Would there be any difference to Halo or God of War if they came out on stream? Nope. Would there be a big difference if Nintendo had to make things for other hardware? Definitely.

I also love this dream of Nintendo supposedly spending more money if they have to make games for the PS3. Maybe they just stop making console games entirely and stick to the mobile market? I honestly see no loss to the industry if Microsoft stops making consoles and focuses their gaming to Windows. I see a huge loss if the same happened to Nintendo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I see a huge loss if the same happened to Nintendo.

This and other things you said are true as far as I'm concerned. I am not sure if the U came out at the wrong time (maybe things would have been different in 2011?) or if there's even a reason for it to exist in the first place, but I do know that when Nintendo's gone it will be a huge loss to gaming; they are the only company that does it right for all ages entertainment.

If there's something I learned from both Sony and Nintendo getting into two market segments at the same time is that they end up spreading their resources thin trying to support two systems at the same time. It wasn't a surprise when Sony started hemorrhaging money after the PS2 and, at least, Nintendo's been doing this sort of thing for longer, so we'll see how it turns out in two years or so. The 3DS pulled through, the Wii ended up with quite a few awesome exclusives especially at the end of its life, so even though it looks rather grim it's not over for the U just yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Assassin's Creed 3 I popped in last night and it downloaded an update, and to my surprise the King Washington DLC is now available. This was really surprising as I thought it was a PS3 exclusive and I don't remember them ever announcing it was available for WiiU.

In other news wow I forgot how much I suck at Assassin's Creed 3.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How the hell do you suck at Assassin's Creed? Those games practically play themselves.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

limaCAT posted:

That certainly worked for Sega.

Sega put out bad games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I keep forgetting which buttons do what, and keep getting distracted when I really want to push the story forward. I need to put those button prompts back on the main screen I think.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's why it always seems dumb for people to want Nintendo to be the company that chokes. Nintendo is a gaming company. Their innovations are up until recently always rooted in improving or changing your gaming experience.

Up until recently? Heck, their last two systems have been more dedicated to changing how you play than ever before. Whether or not you believe motion/pointer controls or dual/touch screen controls are an improvement, theyre certainly a change that spurred their competition to attempt their own take on the idea. I couldnt imagine Microsoft risking so much on Kinect or Sony risking so much on Move or the Move capabilities on the DS4 if it werent for the Wii Remote and its success.

If The DS or Wii never happened, consoles would most likely just keep getting more and more powerful and keep getting better online features, but would never go out of their way to actually be different from the previous generations. This is why I want Nintendo to keep making consoles.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pretty much. WarioWare would be no where even close to the fun group game it is if it wasn't for the Wii remote or the touch scren of the DS systems. Playing Wario Ware on a standard controller would get boring fast. FPSes on the Wii is still one of the best feeling control schemes I've played with. I'm usually a PC gamer but I get the recent Nintendo consoles cause it offers games and a play style I can't get on my PC. Outside of a few exclusives the other two consoles offer me games with worse graphics and on a controller, when I often prefer mouse and keyboard. I'm hoping more developers take advantage of the Wii U cause I think the game pad can be used to make some really unique game experiences I wouldn't get anywhere else but that's just my take on it

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 22, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The original WarioWare doesn't use any funny controls and is a great game.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

greatn posted:

Assassin's Creed 3 I popped in last night and it downloaded an update, and to my surprise the King Washington DLC is now available. This was really surprising as I thought it was a PS3 exclusive and I don't remember them ever announcing it was available for WiiU.
I think that the only exclusive content was the Benedict Arnold missions that came with a PS3 reservation.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

elf help book posted:

Oh don't get me wrong it is. But that's cause there was nothing like it. If the DS or Wii hadn't done what they did I doubt the series would be as popular as it is though. The control innovations have really helped the series and I think without that the games would've stagnated pretty badly. There's only so many ways a "Press button at right time" minigame can be made before it starts to get very repetitive. The Wii remote really helped with that cause there were so many different things and inputs possible with it. That's my personal opinion though

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

elf help book posted:

I remember being interested in WarioWare since it came out, its probably one of my favorite GBA games. Twisted was alright but there were plenty of times that the Gyro would act up, so the majority of the time I chose to play the Kat&Ana games because they were the classic style that I enjoyed.

On the flipside, Smooth Moves was highly dissapointing, I was never able to finish it thanks to the Dancing Microgame in Mini-Warios stage. I really loving hated those dancing microgames.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Considering the 3DS is starting to continue the DS tradition of printing money and so is anything with the word "Pokemon" on it I don't think Nintendo is getting out of hardware anytime soon. The Wii U is going to be fine, it just probably won't really pick up steam for another year.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gutcruncher posted:

Up until recently? Heck, their last two systems have been more dedicated to changing how you play than ever before. Whether or not you believe motion/pointer controls or dual/touch screen controls are an improvement, theyre certainly a change that spurred their competition to attempt their own take on the idea. I couldnt imagine Microsoft risking so much on Kinect or Sony risking so much on Move or the Move capabilities on the DS4 if it werent for the Wii Remote and its success.

If The DS or Wii never happened, consoles would most likely just keep getting more and more powerful and keep getting better online features, but would never go out of their way to actually be different from the previous generations. This is why I want Nintendo to keep making consoles.

I said up until recently because a lot of the innovations in the Wii-U are not related to gaming but "home entertainment".

Nintendo acts and other game companies react. That's how it has always been. Core gamers are perfectly fine with playing the same Playstation games with updated hardware. They don't want anything to change. And hey! That's perfectly fine. But I don't want that running where the industry goes. Because it's consoles fighting a fruitless battle against the computer industry. Seriously, why is Microsoft making consoles? Why aren't they just selling a controller/hard drive combo for the PC which includes X-Box Live inside it? And then Microsoft could just sell a version of Windows made for gaming.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

It's still my favourite in the series. Of the three Rhythm Heaven games, only the DS one uses anything besides the d-pad and buttons, and it much worse for it.

A console with a weird control scheme isn't inherently more innovative, there's plenty of new genres and gameplay elements that haven't been explored yet. The sword combat in the Devil May Cry games uses a very similar control scheme to the N64/GC Zelda games, but it takes it much further with the use of timing-based combos, the style gauge and the devil trigger mechanic. It doesn't try to feel like swinging an actual sword, which in SS had reduced the combat to 'swing at whichever direction isn't being blocked'.

There is a certain amount of innovation that can be achieved through the controller, such as the analogue stick allowing for more precise 3D movement, but when you're forced to use the touch screen/motion controls for something that could have been done more easily with the buttons, then there's no reason for it to be there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Considering the 3DS is starting to continue the DS tradition of printing money and so is anything with the word "Pokemon" on it I don't think Nintendo is getting out of hardware anytime soon.

Kind of off topic, but is there a reason that Nintendo haven't brought Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to virtual console? I guess you'd be missing out on the trading/battling other people side of things but it would still sell insanely well.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, at least Nintendo has finally figured out they need to emphasize words like "upgrade".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjziVtvUXY

Holy poo poo Nintendo, put this on TV. :psyduck:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KimT posted:

Kind of off topic, but is there a reason that Nintendo haven't brought Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to virtual console? I guess you'd be missing out on the trading/battling other people side of things but it would still sell insanely well.

It's also a terribly dated game. There's literally no reason to play it over Fire Red/Leaf Green unless you're the sort of person too caught up in nostalgia. Also, yes, the idea that you are permanently barred from some of the content probably doesn't go over well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

KimT posted:

Nintendo and Pokémon is always a "sit on it" thing. Nintendo can do a billion things with it and make a billion dollars. If the Wii-U was really in trouble, I bet we'd get the mythical "Pokémon MMO" on it and suddenly everyone now owns a Wii-U. To me it's their trump card. I mean, there's talk that they are adding Fairy Pokémon to the X and Y games and that's enough to make people go super crazy for the series. "BUTTERFREE IS NOW A FAIRY TYPE? OH MY GOD I WANT TO BUY IT!" That's all it takes for them.

So why rush anything?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
People keep saying Pokemon MMO but honestly I don't see it even if Nintendo gets desperate. Unless they are super, super desperate to the point where they are willing to make a bad/mediocre game a tentpole release. Yeah the series is based around battling people just like yourself so the setting sort of fits, but the combat would have to be changed entirely, the world progression changed, the way Pokemon themselves work changed etc. At that point, since the series has remained so similar over the past twenty years, it would be a totally radical revision that could just as soon alienate tons of people and deal their guaranteed moneymaker a big blow. And if it comes right down to it I'd rather have a Mario themepark MMO than a Pokemon one anyway.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of Nintendo's friendly indie dev stance compared to the horrible, horrible stuff they had for the Wii I'm hoping SpyParty ends up on the system. I think it'd work really well on the WiiU from what I've played in the beta

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I think their trump card would more likely be a Xenoblade-sized AAA Pokemon RPG with parties and quests and all that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cliff Racer posted:

People keep saying Pokemon MMO but honestly I don't see it even if Nintendo gets desperate. Unless they are super, super desperate to the point where they are willing to make a bad/mediocre game a tentpole release. Yeah the series is based around battling people just like yourself so the setting sort of fits, but the combat would have to be changed entirely, the world progression changed, the way Pokemon themselves work changed etc. At that point, since the series has remained so similar over the past twenty years, it would be a totally radical revision that could just as soon alienate tons of people and deal their guaranteed moneymaker a big blow. And if it comes right down to it I'd rather have a Mario themepark MMO than a Pokemon one anyway.

I'm pretty much in agreement. I think it can be done well though. Basically there would be trading areas and battling areas like any MMO.

I've always had the idea of a Zelda themed MMO where you choose to be a Goron, Hylian, Naru, Gerudo, etc. and you have to equip different weapons and get good at them. Might be a lot like World of Warcraft but gently caress it, you know you'd play it just to roll into 100 players as a Goron.

• Locked thread