Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Carnival Rider posted:

I'm going to be living in Germany in an area that had a dog stealing spree a year ago. I wanted to know if it was legal to carry pepper spray because my wife will be walking a dog out there. Yes, it is legal but only if it states that it's for animals, you can use it on people in self defense. Dude apparently thought it was weird that my wife wants something to defend herself with.

It was weird, you're going to be living in Germany, not like, the Sudan. There's literally no need to walk around with pepper spray in Germany of all places when walking your dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Carnival Rider posted:

Dude apparently thought it was weird that my wife wants something to defend herself with.

To put this another way: you think it is perfectly reasonable for your wife to expect to be physically attacked by strangers while walking the dog. I mean jeeze, it's not a dog made out of diamonds.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

To put this another way: you think it is perfectly reasonable for your wife to expect to be physically attacked by strangers while walking the dog. I mean jeeze, it's not a dog made out of diamonds.

Maybe it's a Sharpei. Those dogs are rare.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Engin3 posted:

I'm leaving for 4 week trip with one other person on May 23rd and have finished most of the planning. I'll be in Amsterdam for 3 days. Paris for 6 days. Rome for 6 days and then Greece for 6 days. What I'm having trouble with is figuring out the Greece part of the trip. Our main points were to visit the Oracle of Delphi, the Meteora, and then stumble around some islands. I'm just having trouble figuring out what would be the best way to handle transportation from Rome to Greece and to get to these places. I guess my main concern is how to get to meteora. Bus seems to be the most recommended option. Is it difficult for an American tourist to navigate greek public transportation? Would renting a car be a good idea?

Can anyone share their experiences with Greece?

Sounds like a good trip except that you should probably only try to do one island. Realistically you're going to have to fly between Rome and Athens (there really isn't any other time-efficient option). I really wouldn't recommend attempting to drive yourself because the area between Athens, Meteora and Delphi is extremely stressful tight switchbacks up and down cliffs where everyone drives like crazy people. I have no idea what the public transportation is like, though.

If you spend one day in each place (which is realistic - you can reasonably see most of Meteora's accessible parts and all of Delphi in an afternoon each - but you'll have to get up early because it takes a few hours to drive between them), you'll only really have 2 days left at the end for the islands, so maybe just pick one. I'd go with Santorini, personally.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

I think you're forgetting about that high profile dog stealing spree a few years ago!

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Christ

I'm not expecting it to happen but seriously, it's legal to carry and it is better to have it and not need it. It's a quiet neighborhood near a pretty shady part of the city. If spending 10 bucks can help us have a little peace of mind why not spend it? It's not like we're carrying it around in a school. Do you think that everyone that has pepper spray is crazy and going way over the line?

Maybe she should get a gun!

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Make sure you bring some pearls so you have something to clutch.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Instead of a car, I drive to work in a tank. Because what if the Russians Chinese North Koreans invade when I'm on my way to work? I mean it's better to have a tank and not need it than need a tank and only have a hatchback, right? And I'm not taking it into a school or anything, so who cares, as long as it gives me peace of mind while I day dream about shelling Russians Chinese North Koreans, then it's worth it. I mean it's not like an A-bomb, I'm not nuts.

I don't know what the problem is.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Yeah tell me about it, those girls that carry pepper spray on them to stop assaults are nutso right guys? This world is nothing but sunshine and puppy farts.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Honestly, if you are this afraid of "zee Germans" maybe you should just stay where you are now and not bother them.

e: in fact both for your sake and for theirs

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 21, 2013

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Doing a last minute trip to Europe and meeting friends who will already be there in Munich, but if I really want to I can go a week early and see Vienna and Prague for about 3 days each, is it worth it? I'm sure I'd like the art and history and architecture but not sure if I need to go out of my way to see them, considering that the rest of the trip will cover Munich, Paris, Antwerp and Amsterdam. My only previous experience in Europe was 10 days in Switzerland last year so I'm expecting different things.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 21, 2013

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Honestly, if you are this afraid of "zee Germans" maybe you should just stay where you are now and not bother them.

e: in fact both for your sake and for theirs

I'm not afraid of "zee Germans" actually but good job jumping on that thought.

http://www.presseportal.de/polizeipresse/pm/4970/polizeipraesidium-frankfurt-am-main

Crime happens in the city and I would rather not have my dogs stolen or my wife without a way to defend herself. I love Germany and speak the language and am very excited to be right next to the Rhine river.

I think it's funny that I'm being warned by locals to keep an eye out for the Turks and to keep an eye on my dogs and you dudes are losing your mind over me asking if it's legal to carry pepper spray or not.

Carnival Rider fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 21, 2013

3peat
May 6, 2010

Treacherous dog stealing Turks, prepare to meet my katana pepper spray!

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Carnival Rider posted:

http://www.presseportal.de/polizeipresse/pm/4970/polizeipraesidium-frankfurt-am-main

Crime happens in the city and I would rather not have my dogs stolen or my wife without a way to defend herself. I love Germany and speak the language and am very excited to be right next to the Rhine river.

I think it's funny that I'm being warned by locals to keep an eye out for the Turks and to keep an eye on my dogs and you dudes are losing your mind over me asking if it's legal to carry pepper spray or not.

I can understand wanting to carry something like pepper spray, but Frankfurt probably isn't any more dangerous than where you currently live.

So if you're getting some now specifically because of moving to Germany (meaning you don't currently carry any), that seems a little paranoid.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Paranoid and hilarious

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Neris posted:

Paranoid and hilarious
We'll see how amusing you find it when an Ottoman eats your budgie alive in front of your very eyes.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

pylb posted:

I can understand wanting to carry something like pepper spray, but Frankfurt probably isn't any more dangerous than where you currently live.

So if you're getting some now specifically because of moving to Germany (meaning you don't currently carry any), that seems a little paranoid.

Maybe they live in small town suburbia, and aren't from downtown Chicago, so moving to Frankfurt seems kind of scary for her? I agree it's pretty unnecessary, but it's also not totally insane for a woman to ask if it's legal to carry around pepper spray. Jesus, this thread.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Just get a properly trained German Sheperd (hey, while in Germany..), call him Rex, they're excellent scary 2nd generation muslim repellant.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
I'm doing some research about London and typography for a possible visit later in the year. I've heard about the St. Brides Foundation/library, as well as http://www.londontypographica.com/, plus the British Library's gallery. The Type Museum, sadly, is in limbo. Are there other/more relevant places for typography/old printed matter in the area?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Re: Eifel Tower tickets; it's a moot point anyway because all the online tickets are sold out.

Omits-Bagels posted:

When I lived in Paris the La Table d'Eugene was one of my favorite restaurants. My wife and I went there for out first anniversary and she still talks about that meal. It is a great little place that is out of the tourist areas. I worked in tourism and we reccomended this place to all our guests. Everyone loved the place.

They speak English there but I recommend calling ahead to make a reservation because they only have like 10 tables so it fills up quickly.

http://parisbymouth.com/la-table-deugene/

Thanks for the suggestion! This place looks great from the reviews I read about it.

Saladman posted:

I've eaten at a bunch of restaurants in Paris, many recommended by locals, none particularly catching or better than the random ones I've stopped in by chance. Under €50/person is easy though, you're unlikely to accidentally find a place that costs more than about €30/person. Re: Tower, yes, but there will still be huge lines at the elevator from the 'second floor' (about 1/3rd of the way up) to the top. And no, no cheaper. Second floor is like €5 though and gives you a pretty similar view.

I also really like the idea of wandering around and walking into a restaurant on our own but I always found this to be a bit difficult, even when I was just by myself or with friends. It's difficult enough to decide and the problem is compounded in a foreign city because you (I) just don't know what to look out for.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Maybe they live in small town suburbia, and aren't from downtown Chicago, so moving to Frankfurt seems kind of scary for her? I agree it's pretty unnecessary, but it's also not totally insane for a woman to ask if it's legal to carry around pepper spray. Jesus, this thread.

No, it is unecessary, insane (and stupid!), they're moving to Frankfurt not Mumbai. I'm female, lived in Europe and have NEVER even remotely thought about whether pepper spray was legal, because it's completely pointless to have in Europe, especially Germany.

Especially since it's not because she's afraid of being raped by Turks, it's because they're afraid Turks are going to steal their dog.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Welp, looks like I'll be moving long-term to Montpellier (southern France) in about 3 months. I've only been there briefly for like 2 days, I really liked the city. Sθte, Marseilles, Toulouse (lived there 2 years in the past) are not too far so I will travel around the region a lot I think. Other than that, I'm not too sure what I will be doing with my free time other than getting drunk on the cheap wine. Any suggestions appreciated.

I've been living in Saigon for 2 years, the transition to a tiny and beautiful city will be an insane shock.

Senso fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 22, 2013

geera
May 20, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I also really like the idea of wandering around and walking into a restaurant on our own but I always found this to be a bit difficult, even when I was just by myself or with friends. It's difficult enough to decide and the problem is compounded in a foreign city because you (I) just don't know what to look out for.
My wife and I spent 5 days in Paris and only had one bad meal, and it was at a restaurant in the Latin quarter that we randomly wandered in to because it wasn't as crowded as the one next to it. They served steak fries and garden salad as the sides with every entree. My wife's chicken and my steak were both incredibly overcooked and dry.

It'll probably work out to try a restaurant there on a whim, since the food really is (generally speaking) very good nearly everywhere. My advice would be to not shy away from the crowded places, since they're obviously crowded for a reason, and be wary of the places that look nice but are empty.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
The best bet is to check out places crowded with Parisians (as opposed to tourists). Then look at the prices on the menu outside to make sure it's within your budget.

Tourists will have a combination of cameras, travel guides, bags, sunglasses, hoodies, children and shorts. Groups of predominantly blond people will also be tourists.

the little spoon
May 30, 2005
Other things to avoid when wandering around looking for a restaurant are the menu signs with different countries flags on them and huge menus with lots and lots of items. And Germans.

Aimee
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone know how hard it would be for me to get either:

A) A month-long bicycle rental
B) A daily Vespa/scooter rental

in Belgrade?

I'm going to be living there for a month starting Saturday. I'm seeing a lot of stuff on Google for the bike but only daily or tour guide type stuff. I think I got spoiled on Paris and Barcelona's Velib and Bicing :(

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
It's probably best to buy a cheap chinese knock off mtb at a decathlon type store and donate or sell it when you leave.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Aimee posted:

Anyone know how hard it would be for me to get either:

A) A month-long bicycle rental

in Belgrade?

Are you absolutely sure you want to bike around Belgrade? I've never seen any cyclists there and for good reasons: it's hilly, there are no dedicated bike paths, sidewalks tend to be narrow and full of potholes, drivers are crazy and not used to cyclists and thus will not look out for you.

As for scooter rental, check out this Google search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iznajmljivanje+skutera+beograd

This result seems reasonable at 1,600-2,000 RSD/24hrs: http://www.motocentarada.com/cenovnik.html

Aimee
Jan 2, 2007

schoenfelder posted:

Are you absolutely sure you want to bike around Belgrade? I've never seen any cyclists there and for good reasons: it's hilly, there are no dedicated bike paths, sidewalks tend to be narrow and full of potholes, drivers are crazy and not used to cyclists and thus will not look out for you.

As for scooter rental, check out this Google search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iznajmljivanje+skutera+beograd

This result seems reasonable at 1,600-2,000 RSD/24hrs: http://www.motocentarada.com/cenovnik.html

haha I had no idea. I know very little about Belgrade. I've been in Zagreb (Croatia) for the past month and just assumed it was going to be similar. At least the scooter rental seems fair, thanks :)

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Carnival Rider posted:

I'm afraid to say that those locals are probably pretty biased. If Germany is anything like Switzerland then they all hate the Turks.
(Well, hate might be a bit strong a word, but they certainly distrust them.)

And speaking of Switzerland, does anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do there in the middle of winter? I'm thinking of joining my mum and my brother on a holiday there at the end of the year, but I've realised that apart from skiing I'm not sure what I could spend my time doing. I've never really done any touristy stuff on my own so it would be nice to get some ideas.
If it makes any difference I can speak German, but not French.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Switzerland is a nation of racists, scientists and Milka cows. Germany is nothing like it.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Switzerland is a nation of racists, scientists and Milka cows. Germany is nothing like it.

And expensive hot dogs.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I haven't been able to fully look through the thread and see how well this is addressed, so please forgive me. At the end of May/Beginning of June I'm going to be in San Sebastian and Pamplona in Spain for 9 days and I was curious if anyone had any advice or suggestions of places to see/things to do while in the area. My wife is going there for a conference so I'll have a lot of free time and a car. I think I want to take a trip out to Bilbao at some point. I know nothing about the Basque and this was kind of a last minute trip since her ticket was paid for by the school

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Saladman posted:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a really nice, quaint German town with a medieval feel and still has its town hall, one of my best memories from that area. It's worth a day, which is perfect in your itinerary.

Trier is kinda way out of your way but I guess you already knew that.

E: Heidelberg is also gorgeous, and probably one of the most touristic / famouse smaller cities in Germany.

Update on what I am looking at. Google tells me it would be about an hour drive to Heidelberg from the Frankfurt airport, and then about an hour to the Hilton in Mainz. Assuming an hour and half to get through customs and get the rental car we'd be on the road by about 10AM. Would it be realistic to drive to Heidelberg, see Heidelberg Castle and maybe a bit of the old town, and then drive up to Mainz in the late afternoon? I don't mind it being an hour each way but I don't know how realistic that is.

The plan would then be to head east in the direction of Trier the next morning.

Part of the reason I'm looking at this is if I stay in Mainz I can use my points with Hilton and stay for free that night.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Update on what I am looking at. Google tells me it would be about an hour drive to Heidelberg from the Frankfurt airport, and then about an hour to the Hilton in Mainz. Assuming an hour and half to get through customs and get the rental car we'd be on the road by about 10AM. Would it be realistic to drive to Heidelberg, see Heidelberg Castle and maybe a bit of the old town, and then drive up to Mainz in the late afternoon? I don't mind it being an hour each way but I don't know how realistic that is.

The plan would then be to head east in the direction of Trier the next morning.

Part of the reason I'm looking at this is if I stay in Mainz I can use my points with Hilton and stay for free that night.

If you're flying from the UK, this would be feasible (though, to me, not particularly enjoyable -- driving back in evening would be more realistic; keep in mind how lovely rush hour is going to be around Frankfurt, assuming it's a weekday). If you're flying from the Americas, this seems pretty awful unless you are both rock solid immune to jetlag.

Either way though it seems kind of weird, since you're driving to Munich later anyway, why don't you just stop there while you're on the way, instead of going from Frankfurt to Heidelberg to Mainz then Trier then Munich? Frankfurt -> Mainz -> Trier -> Heidelberg -> Munich is a lot less driving.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I guess the impression I got is that Mainz wouldn't fill a whole day, so I was looking for a sidetrip to fill most of it. But that seems like a much better idea.

Edit: Also, my initial plan was to take the train from Frankfurt to Munich. But that just was altered today. I had been planning on using Hertz Points for my rental car, but they've got some weird restrictions (That location only allow points to be used on compact or midsize manual transmission rentals). It was annoying because the website kept telling me I "didn't have enough points to complete this rental" and I had to call Hertz to find out why I was getting that error, since I had more than enough points, they just weren't allowing me to use points for an automatic. So since I'll be paying for the car I can use my company's negotiated discount to get a one way rental of a BMW 5 Series or equivalent for only 200 Euros for a Thursday-Monday rental going from Frankfurt to Munich. Due to a quirk with the negotiated rate it would be €74/day for a compact but only €42.03/day to get a luxury car. So I'll do that instead. That opens up more options for me and limits the desire to get out of the Frankfurt area right away. So now I'd be looking at....

Wednesday night: Frankfurt or Mainz
Thursday day: Pick up rental car, drive to Trier
Thursday night: Trier
Friday night: Trier
Saturday night: ???? (Heidelburg probably)
Sunday night: ?????
Monday: Arrive in Munich
Monday-Friday; Oktoberfest

So now the question becomes where to stay on the way from Trier to Munich.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 23, 2013

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Milka is German.

Laverna posted:

And speaking of Switzerland, does anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do there in the middle of winter? I'm thinking of joining my mum and my brother on a holiday there at the end of the year, but I've realised that apart from skiing I'm not sure what I could spend my time doing. I've never really done any touristy stuff on my own so it would be nice to get some ideas.
If it makes any difference I can speak German, but not French.

Skiing is pretty much what Switzerland does in Winter.
Other than that it is all weather dependent. Pretty much any of the normal tourist things are still doable, although going up the Jungfrau could be rubbish if you can't see further than your hand, it could also be amazing if the weather is clear.
If you come in Feb you can go and see the White Turf races in St. Moritz.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

PlantHead posted:

Milka is German.

Skiing is pretty much what Switzerland does in Winter.
Other than that it is all weather dependent. Pretty much any of the normal tourist things are still doable, although going up the Jungfrau could be rubbish if you can't see further than your hand, it could also be amazing if the weather is clear.
If you come in Feb you can go and see the White Turf races in St. Moritz.

I went to Jungfrau in July and I still couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of me.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I just got my phone unlocked (iPhone) and I was wondering what provider I should go with for while I'm in Slovakia. I'm there for 6 weeks.

Also how's the roaming work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Kolta posted:

I just got my phone unlocked (iPhone) and I was wondering what provider I should go with for while I'm in Slovakia. I'm there for 6 weeks.

Also how's the roaming work?

This guide is two years old, as it was written for the 2011 Ice Hockey Championship, but the basic info should remain roughly accurate. You shouldn't have any problems with coverage with any of the three operators (T-Mobile, Orange and O2), unless you go to the mountains or similar remote areas. I'm with Orange myself.