Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Splizwarf posted:

I thought that as of ICS, number blocking was a native function.

Straight-to-voicemail is, but not text blocking, that's why I'm looking for an app. Can't believe Tmobile doesen't allow blocking of a specific number.

There are apps on the play store, but I don't want to recommend an app that starts pushing ads in her status bar or whatever. That's why I'm looking for suggestions on a legitimate app to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I just checked and it looks like the thing I was thinking of is actually Samsung-specific (I'm on an S3), the "add to reject list" option on a long-press of a number. Sort of a shame since I hate Samsung's broken dialer otherwise; the dialer's shittiness and the broken Brightness thing are the reasons I want to go to AOKP when I have a free day.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Try uninstall/reinstall. If there's anything on it you care about (that you don't have synced) hit it with Titanium Backup before the uninstall. (Carbon's probably fine too; I just don't like that it tries to back up everything in /[sdcard]/android/data with no granularity - especially when stuff like the Bard's Tale throws four gigs of files into it.)

This got me no where, sadly. I can't install it at all. It just says I don't have enough storage. I've even tried installing an older apk, but it fails. I can install any other app, so it would seem. I just installed normal Chrome for the time being.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Has anyone noticed Chrome Beta occasionally stops loading pages almost exactly halfway through? I've noticed it happens with Amazon quite a bit. Not all pages are affected, but most of them are on my N4 with Franco Kernel (but otherwise stock).
I get this too. I haven't been able to identify any specific way to either reproduce or prevent it. I expect it's already on the bug tracker anyway.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Straight-to-voicemail is, but not text blocking, that's why I'm looking for an app. Can't believe Tmobile doesen't allow blocking of a specific number.

There are apps on the play store, but I don't want to recommend an app that starts pushing ads in her status bar or whatever. That's why I'm looking for suggestions on a legitimate app to use.

I think Handcent has a blacklist function.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

tarbrush posted:

Ideally, I'd like something that does what iTunes does for iPhones, compares the music on both and pushes new stuff from computer to phone.

Isn't this what DoubleTwist (for Windows PCs) and TuneSync (Win/OSX) are for? Helping people cope if they don't want to leave iTunes?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What happens when you have more music on the computer than space on the phone? Not trolling', genuinely curious how that gets handled. How granular a set of smart rules can you set up?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I picked up a Nexus 7 last week, and am very happy with it. Are there any must-have apps for android tablets?

I'm going to use it for Facebook, watching movies, reading magazines, browsing the web and generally just relaxing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google have a page of apps which have decent tablet modes (nicely scaling UIs, etc.) or otherwise just run nicely on the N7/N10 (especially games) on Play.

You should, of course, get Awful Betamax if you didn't already.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mzuri posted:

I picked up a Nexus 7 last week, and am very happy with it. Are there any must-have apps for android tablets?

I'm going to use it for Facebook, watching movies, reading magazines, browsing the web and generally just relaxing.

Netflix works really well on the N7

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Radbot posted:

Has anyone noticed Chrome Beta occasionally stops loading pages almost exactly halfway through? I've noticed it happens with Amazon quite a bit. Not all pages are affected, but most of them are on my N4 with Franco Kernel (but otherwise stock).

YES! And it drives me mad. It seems to happen when you open links from other apps too. Stopping and refresh often fixes it but it's annoying as hell.

I've submitted a bug report in the app, hopefully they address it quickly.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Thanks to whoever suggested Tiny Tiny RSS + gReader, they interface and work great together. Plus it's nice that I have these articles backed up in my own database instead of at the mercy of Google. Too bad about the last few years that will be wiped out :/

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I know this is a long shot, especially based on everything I've read, but:

Does anyone have nay ideas on how to get Internet Explorer/ActiveX working on an android tablet?

Let me explain: My mother-in-law really wants a tablet, as she is a realtor and always on the run. The problem is, the main site all realtors use (at least in Miami) to look at all the properties on the market, is a site called mlxchage.com. If you go on a non-IE browser it will tell you you need IE. I thought this was just a dumb script, so I spoofed the UA and got around it. It seems like its not just bullshit, though, cause the login box gets all mangled to the point where you can't login. In addition to that, it throws some error at you. Now I'm not actually sure that this is ActiveX but I can't imagine why it gets all screwy like that with something other than IE if it werent for an ActiveX issue.

This is such a huge problem that even a mini-industry has popped up offering realtors access to MLXchange via VNC/Remote access to Windows PC's from their Macs/Mobile devices. I'm aware I could setup VNC for her on her laptop at home or something but i'm afraid of an inconsistent home connection and other things which would make it unusable.

Any ideas? Seems like virtualiztion of windows (like XP or ever 2000 or something) on Android is not a thing yet so I'm running out of ideas.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

Does anyone have nay ideas on how to get Internet Explorer/ActiveX working on an android tablet?

Let me explain: My mother-in-law really wants a tablet, as she is a realtor and always on the run. The problem is, the main site all realtors use (at least in Miami) to look at all the properties on the market, is a site called mlxchage.com. If you go on a non-IE browser it will tell you you need IE. I thought this was just a dumb script, so I spoofed the UA and got around it. It seems like its not just bullshit, though, cause the login box gets all mangled to the point where you can't login. In addition to that, it throws some error at you. Now I'm not actually sure that this is ActiveX but I can't imagine why it gets all screwy like that with something other than IE if it werent for an ActiveX issue.

This is such a huge problem that even a mini-industry has popped up offering realtors access to MLXchange via VNC/Remote access to Windows PC's from their Macs/Mobile devices. I'm aware I could setup VNC for her on her laptop at home or something but i'm afraid of an inconsistent home connection and other things which would make it unusable.

Any ideas? Seems like virtualiztion of windows (like XP or ever 2000 or something) on Android is not a thing yet so I'm running out of ideas.

Her best bet is to get a Windows 8 or RT tablet.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

Her best bet is to get a Windows 8 or RT tablet.

Aren't these like The loving Worst?

Also they're massively expensive.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

Uh. They're not expensive. They don't have as massive an app selection, but it's gonna be better than an Android tablet if her number one requirement is "have Internet Explorer". They're not bad per se, but most people who are up-to-date with technology can see that RT, as a platform, has flaws. If those flaws don't really bother her (app selection and the lack of a true desktop experience being the biggest), it should be something she considers. If work is her primary goal, it has IE and Office.

*EDIT* The RT thread is probably the better place to go if you're inclined to talk about them further, and the Android tablet thread is the place to go if you're set on one.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 22, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gozinbulx posted:

It's probably not an ActiveX issue, but more likely that the page was written specifically for Internet Explorer 6 and it's really lovely HTML implementation. But in either case, you won't be able to view it on any native Android browser.

You are not going to see Virtualization of Windows XP on an Android device because because Windows XP is for x86 type processors and Android typically runs on ARM CPUs. You can emulate x86 for Windows 98 in DosBox Turbo on android, but it is very very very very VERY slow. But it would get you up to IE6 which is probably what that website wants.

Honestly, as slow as Windows 98 is in Dosbox, you are probably better off using some kind of remote desktop or VNC app to remote control a Windows PC.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Gozinbulx posted:

Looks like the Surface RT is basically made for realtors: http://www.gizjar.com/giz/index.php/why-i-returned-my-microsoft-surface-rt-and-why-i-want-to-buy-it-again/

quote:

The limitations of Windows RT have been trashed talked about all over the internet. Simply put, Windows RT can almost do everything you’d want it to do, expect that one crucial thing, and that becomes the deal breaker. One prime example is how awesome Windows RT tablets would be for real estate agents. There’s a essential Realtor tool called MLXChange (http://mlslink.mlxchange.com) that runs on asp.net and requires Internet Explorer Active X technology. Surface RT and other Windows RT devices run this flawlessly. Android devices and iPad can’t. One other thing that Realtors need is to update their lock-box key cards on a daily basis vis a USB card reader that sadly needs drivers that run on Windows 8. For a review on Surface RT for Realtors, check out our article on Microsoft Surface RT for realtors using MLXChange.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
VNC it is. $350 is too much for her and I think it will probably weigh too much for her.

Edit: I have a VNC viewer which works for me, but is there one where the key-entry is more intuitive ie when you click a text box, it brings up the keyboard? The one I have you have to select the box then press menu then press send key then type your think then hit send key. Kind of a pain.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2013

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Tunga posted:

Google have a page of apps which have decent tablet modes (nicely scaling UIs, etc.) or otherwise just run nicely on the N7/N10 (especially games) on Play.

You should, of course, get Awful Betamax if you didn't already.

Thanks, I've been sort of avoiding the Featured-pages on the Play Store, but maybe I should give it a second look. And Netflix is running well, yeah :)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vinlaen posted:

What's the best video streaming app for Android?

I was using AirVideo on iOS and it was fantastic (i.e. it converted videos on-the-fly and streamed over 3G and Wifi practically any video format).

I've tried Emit (free) for Android and it's stuttering and laggy quite a bit (and looks worse than the AirVideo/iOS streamed videos; both are using the same WiFi network and encoding machine)
Air Video is still the only thing I miss from iOS.

I just use the Plex app with a Plex Media Server set up on my PC. I wanted to like Emit cause it's made by a goon or something, but it's just not very good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

VNC it is. $350 is too much for her and I think it will probably weigh too much for her.

Edit: I have a VNC viewer which works for me, but is there one where the key-entry is more intuitive ie when you click a text box, it brings up the keyboard? The one I have you have to select the box then press menu then press send key then type your think then hit send key. Kind of a pain.

I use Teamviewer and it works great for me.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Medullah posted:

If $350 for a Windows RT tablet is too pricey, I'm sure $749 for a TeamViewer license is going to be too much.

Cruseydr fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 22, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Is teamviewer propriatary or is it a VNC client?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

I just use the Plex app with a Plex Media Server set up on my PC. I wanted to like Emit cause it's made by a goon or something, but it's just not very good.

On the contrary, I find I have more success with Emit than Plex. Regardles, I have both running on my media server.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

Is teamviewer propriatary or is it a VNC client?

Propriatary.

And I guess I didn't think about using a license, since I suppose it is commercial use.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anybody have any suggestions on an app that'll block texts from a specific number? Its for a friend who has T-Mobile, and apparently they don't offer single number blocking service :psyduck:

I set her phone (nexus 4) to send the calls straight to voicemail, I just need something to block texts.

Root Call Blocker should do what she needs. Requires Root, though.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

In terms of playing video, Emit has done a better job for me... but Plex is so darn pretty.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Plex is great for streaming video from a desktop to a roku device too if you have one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Plex is great for streaming video from a desktop to a roku device too if you have one.

Plex is honestly just a great program. You don't even need an app on your device if you really don't want one - you can just use DLNA.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Craptacular! posted:

Isn't this what DoubleTwist (for Windows PCs) and TuneSync (Win/OSX) are for? Helping people cope if they don't want to leave iTunes?

I'm trying Miro (https://www.getmiro.com), and it claims sync Android devices. I haven't tried syncing yet, but it looks a lot like iTunes. The CPU goes hog wild on the first run, though, trying to get all the metadata.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Medullah posted:

Propriatary.

And I guess I didn't think about using a license, since I suppose it is commercial use.

What about Jump or Splashtop?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Splizwarf posted:

What about Jump or Splashtop?

Splashtop is great over a LAN, but it's pretty rear end-awful over the internet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's fair, I haven't tried Splashtop personally. I do use Jump a lot when I'm out and about, though, seems good. Shoot, I even use it on my phone.

On the other hand, even on a LAN you can't use it to watch a movie on your computer or play games or something, if that's what you mean by rear end-awful. When we're sitting in the living room ready to watch something and PS3 Media Server isn't up, though, pulling out my phone to remote to my PC upstairs to start it is rad. It's such a little thing but it makes me feel like I live in the (fatass Wall-E) future. :v:

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Is there an ereader app that I could use to read books on my phone, save the spot where I'm at, then start reading it on my desktop? I'm currently using Moon Reader+ on my Galaxy Nexus and it's pretty great but when I get home I want to pick up where I left off on my PC.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Pilkington posted:

Is there an ereader app that I could use to read books on my phone, save the spot where I'm at, then start reading it on my desktop? I'm currently using Moon Reader+ on my Galaxy Nexus and it's pretty great but when I get home I want to pick up where I left off on my PC.

I don't have any experience with it, but I know Fabrik syncs everything to dropbox so maybe that'll work for you.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you buy your books legally and don't mind using Amazon, Kindle syncs cross-device, including computer, smartphone and actual Kindle reader.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maybe stating the obvious here, but Google Play Books does that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Kobo does too, though they've been trying to push the social poo poo lately and I'd really rather have more font/colour options instead of Facebook integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I've had a lot of luck with mirage for android. It loves to complain about crashing when you start it up, but it works pretty drat well with my airvideo server.

• Locked thread