Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

priznat posted:

Yeah I've stopped watching the US version because everyone onscreen is such a jerk. The producers seem a lot more interested in "drama" than actually fixing restaurants. Love the UK series, though. Weirdly the food in most of the UK restaurants (after he fixed them) looked a lot better than the US ones too, busting a stereotype there ;). Although I think that's also because there is so little emphasis put on the actual product in the US version, it's all about settling drama and shout fests.

I can only recall one or two shout-fests in the UK one (the older guy with the young gf in Blackpool especially springs to mind) but they were just establishing who was the alpha and then it's done. Episodes like the Mama Cherri's Soul Food place were really :3:. Sadly it closed down anyway but they tried.

I think Mama Cheri's is the only place in either series where he thought the food was pretty good before he showed up, that and the place with the French guy who kept ignoring his advice about the Michelin Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah they had a few good cooks who were just poo poo on the business side of things in the UK. Most of the US folks are bad at both it seems. So he has to make up some "can't fail" recipes and hold their hand while they make ravioli or something.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
US Kitchen Nightmares is overproduced, but at the same time I think it works because most of the restaurants he goes to are bad enough to deserve that type of treatment.poo poo, just watch the nightmare that was Fiesta Sunrise to get that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I watched Kitchen Nightmares for a while and after awhile I just determined I can't stand Ramsay. The UK version is the best version of that type of show while the US version is one of the worst.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

I watched Kitchen Nightmares for a while and after awhile I just determined I can't stand Ramsay. The UK version is the best version of that type of show while the US version is one of the worst.

I'd argue Bar Rescue is much worse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

At Christmas time I watched Ramsay's Xmas special back to back with one of Jamie Oliver's, wow. Ramsay's was dour, dark, joyless, and Oliver's was fun and lighthearted. It was a really jarring difference! I guess Ramsay's was more "traditional" but I was questioning if the woman he had on was actually his mother or a disinterested actress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love Bar Rescue. My current favorite genre of reality show is one where someone successful screams at someone who's in crippling debt.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Well, I've never seen that one. All I know about that one is that for the pilot they went to a chicken wing place I really liked, changed the name to something stupider, cut almost everything off the menu and upped all the prices. From what I can tell the main reason the business was failing was because they were successful as a biker bar and starting encouraging families, which didn't actually bring in families and scared off all the bikers. I think that's all they really needed to change but that would make for a boring episode so they claimed the food sucked, gave it a lovely makeover and upped all prices. I still like the place and they changed the name back and brought back most of their menu, but man their wings are pricey now.

Restaurant Impossible is also pretty terrible, but I watch that for some reason. I find it less obnoxious than the US kitchen nightmares, but it's also so loving fake it's insane.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Started House of Cards yesterday on a whim and ended the day after Chapter 5 :suspense:

Think I'm gonna finish this in the next day or so. Its really good.

I might be in the minority here but I can't watch this because of Kevin Spacey. When he's doing those bits to camera I immediately think about Droopy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WastedJoker posted:

I might be in the minority here but I can't watch this because of Kevin Spacey. When he's doing those bits to camera I immediately think about Droopy.

I really liked the show, but I agree 100% - the cut aways were out of place. I got used to them, but I still think it could have been done without them. I hate extra exposition in movies/TV shows.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Just watched 13 Assassins and The Man from Nowhere on the recommendations of this thread and I loved both of them. Are there any other great Eastern action movies on Netflix I should watch? I haven't explored much of the foreign section except for Ip man (also loved) and Oldboy (not a big fan of).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

College Rockout posted:

Just watched 13 Assassins and The Man from Nowhere on the recommendations of this thread and I loved both of them. Are there any other great Eastern action movies on Netflix I should watch? I haven't explored much of the foreign section except for Ip man (also loved) and Oldboy (not a big fan of).

you could always try Audition/Hari-Kiri by the same director as 13 Assassins?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love Bar Rescue. My current favorite genre of reality show is one where someone successful screams at someone who's in crippling debt.

Have you considered The Suzie Orman show or The Amazing Race?

^^^^
Hara-Kiri is really loving good and dark. Also check out Kurosawa if you haven't. Miike is definitely inspired by him.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

College Rockout posted:

The Good, the Bad, the Weird

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Good_the_Bad_the_Weird/70107134?locale=en-US

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chichevache posted:

Have you considered The Suzie Orman show or The Amazing Race?

^^^^
Hara-Kiri is really loving good and dark. Also check out Kurosawa if you haven't. Miike is definitely inspired by him.

Excuse me, that's Suze Orman. Anyway, she's no Susan Powter. The Amazing Race is a different thing entirely, IMO.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Strange how US Kitchen Nightmares was never recommended to me after I burned through all the UK ones in like a week. Gordon Ramsay is awesome, especially in the UK ones. I'm still waiting for someone to try actually fighting the dude. Couple close calls. And the setup shot of Gordon trying to moonwalk in one of the UK ones was the best.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A woman actually tried to slap Gordon on the UK Hell's Kitchen but he blocked that poo poo. There was also the infamous "I AIN'T NO BITCH CHEF!" guy who got in his face on the US Hells Kitchen.

"I'm in debt of about 600,000 dollars"

"gently caress YOU AND YOUR lovely BAR, GOD HOW loving DISGUSTING YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. Okay we just gave you all new glasses and let me tell you about the POS system from my friends at..."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Bar Rescue because the cameramen on that show love tits and rear end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

priznat posted:

Yeah I've stopped watching the US version because everyone onscreen is such a jerk. The producers seem a lot more interested in "drama" than actually fixing restaurants.

In this sense the show is a scam, anyway, because almost all of these restaurants are too far gone to save by the time the show films them. Look them up sometime, it's probably conservative to say 80% are out of business now. Even if the uptick is business from the show continued, they're usually tens or hundreds of thousands in debt by that point. The food industry is super unforgiving :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

In this sense the show is a scam, anyway, because almost all of these restaurants are too far gone to save by the time the show films them. Look them up sometime, it's probably conservative to say 80% are out of business now. Even if the uptick is business from the show continued, they're usually tens or hundreds of thousands in debt by that point. The food industry is super unforgiving :(

Yeah, one of the things about those shows is the more tragically far gone the people are, the more likely it is that some brief makeover is going to do poo poo. I think I've seen episodes of Restaurant Impossible where the owner was almost a million dollars in debt. That business is not being saved. Sometimes at the beginning they'll say something like "If things don't turn around, we're going to have to close the doors in a month" and I don't knwo what they're actually expecting that will change that.

It's worse when they give like percentages. Like Restaurant Impossible stopped giving out "how they're doing now info" partially to force people to check the website but also because the umber were often pathetic. Like it'd say sales are up 20% which is good if the previous number wasn't them losing money.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

It's true, I have looked at the site that catalogs the show episodes and not many are surviving, especially the ones from further back. That said the food industry is totally brutal like you say. I like to think of the shows as a "what not to do in food service" documentary :haw:.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Excuse me, that's Suze Orman. Anyway, she's no Susan Powter. The Amazing Race is a different thing entirely, IMO.

You think she could afford to buy the whole name. :colbert:

As for TAR... A bunch of spoiled usually white Americans bitching about how hard and difficult and gross and weird this other country is feels similar to me. I don't like this because I am not accustomed to it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

From watching the occasional The Amazing Race (my wife loves it) it seems like it is up to if you happen to get a good cab driver or not. Seems to happen almost every time I watch someone gets in a terrible cab and gets way off track. That would suck, reduces it to a complete crapshoot.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

It's true, I have looked at the site that catalogs the show episodes and not many are surviving, especially the ones from further back. That said the food industry is totally brutal like you say. I like to think of the shows as a "what not to do in food service" documentary :haw:.

Wow, despite how fake the show is Irvine has a surprisingly good record so far (43 out of 61).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Wow, despite how fake the show is Irvine has a surprisingly good record so far (43 out of 61).

Is that the buff dude who looks sort of like Henry Rollins? I have never actually watched that one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Is that the buff dude who looks sort of like Henry Rollins? I have never actually watched that one.

It's pretty terrible, yet I keep watching it :( It's amazingly fake...yet, as I just posted, I guess he get okay results.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

axleblaze posted:

It's pretty terrible, yet I keep watching it :( It's amazingly fake...yet, as I just posted, I guess he get okay results.

I think he just picks places that aren't in real trouble. The only restaurant I'm familiar with from the show, Del's in Pittsburgh, has always had a solid flow of customers and is alright I guess. It's nothing special but I'm pretty sure they just did the show as a publicity stunt. They do have awful service though.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I see that Take Home Chef is on netflix. The first season has 120+ episodes :psyduck:

Always funny seeing some women blatantly crush all over Curtis despite having a significant other.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chichevache posted:

As for TAR... A bunch of spoiled usually white Americans bitching about how hard and difficult and gross and weird this other country is feels similar to me. I don't like this because I am not accustomed to it.

My favourite was the series with the regular sized woman and midget woman team. Every country they would go to, they would suddenly adopt the accent of the people living there, as if that helped them be understood more. That, and if someone didn't understand them, they'd start talking super slowly and phonetically sounding out the words like some terrible comedy from the 50's, as if that too would help foreign people who speak no english to understand them. Oh, and also, slapping on stereotypical foreign suffixes to words, i.e. "We are in Russia, we need to find the carski. Ask her where our carski is." or "We are in Italy, where is the aeroport-a? WHERE-A IS-A THE AERO-PORT-A?!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PaganGoatPants posted:

I see that Take Home Chef is on netflix. The first season has 120+ episodes :psyduck:

Always funny seeing some women blatantly crush all over Curtis despite having a significant other.

To be fair, the show's premise is that Curtis is a housewives' delight and presumably hangs around a supermarket all day waiting for a woman to follow home and cook dinner for her. They have to have fun with that.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

To be fair, the show's premise is that Curtis is a housewives' delight and presumably hangs around a supermarket all day waiting for a woman to follow home and cook dinner for her. They have to have fun with that.

How many people does he kill in season 1?

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
I just watched Lonesome Dove for the first time since I was a kid and was blown away by Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duval playing retired Texas Rangers doing a cattle drive. I've always heard that it was the best mini-series ever made and after watching it as an adult I find it hard to argue. Not your typical shoot 'em up western, and a little melodramatic at times, but the music and cinematography are great. Highly recommended.

There's also an unofficial sequel also on netflix called Return to Lonesome Dove which I enjoyed regardless of cast changes and continuity errors with the actual sequel Streets of Laredo and a prequel Staring Steve Zahn and Val Kilmer called Comanche Moon that I also watched just because I liked the original so much. I can't exactly recommend watching the prequels or sequels, but if you're anything like me you're going to want to get a bigger picture of where the characters came from and where they end up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

And couples counseling. The soundtrack is the most obnoxious part, but his narration in the UK version is far better. He actually seems like a human being in the UK version.
That's one of the reasons why I love the original version so much. His reputation as an angry person seems blown way out of proportion, he's very direct but not the raging crazy man the US version likes to show. Someone is obviously doing a lot of editing and telling Ramsay to crank it up several notches.

priznat posted:

Yeah, that's Restaurant: Impossible:

He does look a bit like Henry Rollins. I've seen it a few times, though it doesn't look like it's streaming, at least not in the US. It's OK if you're into these kind of shows, he's a pretty soft-spoken guy but they really manufacture the drama by having the owners and workers act ridiculous. The remodeling gimmick is interesting, they work with remodelers to do some pretty major overhauls on the restaurants. I'm always just distracted the whole time by how ripped the guy is.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only one I've seen is the one where he gets married.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like Ramseys US show for the fact that they "remodel" the restaurant, but all they do is basically take away the ugly and replace it with a different type of ugly.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like Ramseys US show for the fact that they "remodel" the restaurant, but all they do is basically take away the ugly and replace it with a different type of ugly.

It always consists of a fresh coat of paint, and removing the table cloths.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Nihonniboku posted:

It always consists of a fresh coat of paint, and removing the table cloths.

And communal tables.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just watched Kumare. (New Jersey guy makes a documentary about fooling people into believing he is a guru). Wow. I hate it, I love it. Being atheist, I love exposing the gurus, but I hate how he fooled the people. Wow. It was good.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

College Rockout posted:

Raid: redemption, Ong Bak series are pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)

iv46vi posted:

Raid: redemption, Ong Bak series are pretty entertaining.

Except The Raid: Redemption is not on Netflix.

You can watch the director (and the star) from this action's earlier movie, Merantau, which is on Netflix. In my opinion, it's on the same scale as Ong Bak 1, slow and sometimes badly paced story, but some of the actions are pretty cool.

Others are:

Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zhen - Again, cheesy but fun to watch.
The Good, the Bad, the Weird

• Locked thread