Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
What's the name of that Mexican restaurant again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I did earlier but it was right around the time I got the job at *posts name of restaurant again after being told not to, going back and deleting it, yet here we are again for a second time*

Benny, c'mon Benny.

Benny, c'mon!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In peak time garden centers are open all week. Show up, in person, today. At every single one, including the ones at Target and K-Mart and Wal-Mart and Home Depot.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Going back to the Zucchini Incident briefly:
Zuccini are made almost entirely of water. I'm not a chef, just a cook, but I'm willing to bet you were told to press them down with a towel/rag instead of a spatula to squeeze up some of the water as they cooked (as well as getting an even, firm press on the hot surface) so they get nice and chargrilled instead of sitting there steaming. It probably drastically reduces the cooking time. Any GWS'ers could perhaps clarify.

What I'm saying is, if you are told to do things a certain way at a new job there is probably a good reason things are done that way, even if you think you have a better way. Just do as you are told!

Good luck with the job search, OP. :)

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

I did earlier but it was right around the time I got the job at The Actual Name. I'm going to start calling them again Monday.

Lend / borrow
Should of
Tens of spelling mistakes
Run-on sentences
Grammar errors

Writing five chapters of a book in four years
Seriously considering asking your ex-boss if you were fired because you used the wrong implement
Using the name of the restaurant minutes after explicitly agreeing not to do so
...etc

Benny, your grasp of the language is poor. I normally wouldn't harp on this, but the fact is you have a four-year degree in this topic. You studied hard (I presume). You passed exams. You should have learned these basic things.

Combine your failure to understand your major with your failure to retain a job past one day, and you get where you are now. Why aren't you better at the things you've chosen to learn or do? Work hard to learn something (writing, cooking, speaking Spanish...) and then do it well. Your whole life in these posts just comes across as barely half-assed.

You got a degree, but display no competency in your subject. You got a manual labor job, but found it difficult. You don't speak Spanish, and can't be hosed learning some basic phrases. You want to write a book, but have ground out a chapter and a quarter per year. You had a job in a restaurant and noted how slow you were and didn't fix that. Your family is toxic, but you care most about your comic books.

Have some goddamn pride, man.

Find something you think is valuable and do it well.

Good luck.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
We need a :benny: smiley at this point. I can't believe you posted the resteraunt name yet again.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Morby posted:

So can you go to your United Way agencies to look for jobs? Goodwill facilities offer both reduced cost clothing and household goods, but also often have career centers attached to them with a group of social workers who will know of any openings in the area. Frequently when new department stores or factories or any other large company that needs to hire a large group of people quickly will pass long those types of leads to Goodwill. The social workers there will then look through their databases to see who might be qualified. They also have job fairs.
Your local Department of Labor/Unemployment office can also do this as well. The Urban League (if one is available) do all this, too.

I know I've posted this before, but have you gone to either place? What did they say? Have you returned? Did they give you any leads?

Would really like an answer to all this, Benny!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Morby posted:

So can you go to your United Way agencies to look for jobs? Goodwill facilities offer both reduced cost clothing and household goods, but also often have career centers attached to them with a group of social workers who will know of any openings in the area. Frequently when new department stores or factories or any other large company that needs to hire a large group of people quickly will pass long those types of leads to Goodwill. The social workers there will then look through their databases to see who might be qualified. They also have job fairs.
Your local Department of Labor/Unemployment office can also do this as well. The Urban League (if one is available) do all this, too.

I know I've posted this before, but have you gone to either place? What did they say? Have you returned? Did they give you any leads?
There is a Goodwill up the street. I've browsed there before for clothes. As for the United Way, I've been instead focusing my efforts on finding gainful employment. I'm adding Goodwill on my itinerary on my way to search for jobs. And I'll also contact Untied way.

EDIT: I've also went back and omitted the name of my former employer.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Here is a listing from a reputable firm that I think is where you are near- that one ought to be the gardening merchandising job mostly at Home Depot. Register yourself as a rep on the NARMS site even if that specific listing isn't right for you and search more.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Lend / borrow
Should of
Tens of spelling mistakes
Run-on sentences
Grammar errors

Add "have went" to that list as well. :eng99:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Benny, do you use big words as often in person as you do in this thread?

Because it comes across real forced. Like you are using them because you think it'll make you sound smarter, not because they are the best choices.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
You have strayed far from the path of the Avatar.

Coffee Wolf posted:

Here is a listing from a reputable firm that I think is where you are near- that one ought to be the gardening merchandising job mostly at Home Depot. Register yourself as a rep on the NARMS site even if that specific listing isn't right for you and search more.

Good company but he'd have to have a car because they go to more than one store, same with most merchandising jobs. Just apply directly to home improvement stores. Apply online and they will call you. Do not call them a million times or go to the store. If you have forklift experience they will call you for sure.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

There is a Goodwill up the street. I've browsed there before for clothes. As for the United Way, I've been instead focusing my efforts on finding gainful employment. I'm adding Goodwill on my itinerary on my way to search for jobs. And I'll also contact Untied way.

EDIT: I've also went back and omitted the name of my former employer.

There's a contradiction here. "I'm focusing on finding gainful employment" implies that the United Way agencies aren't capable of helping with that. Then you follow it up with "I'll also contact United Way". Can you clarify that?

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Masonity posted:

Because it comes across real forced. Like you are using them because you think it'll make you sound smarter, not because they are the best choices.

Umm... English majors are known for being great communicators.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's weird that you paid so much money to a college for such an inadequate preparation for life. Or maybe you just didn't pay attention in class. Didn't they have job seminars or career building classes? What happened here?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Masonity posted:

Mostly in my writing. It's become a habit both in speaking and writing since it's what I learned in my studies.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

Mostly in my writing. It's become a habit both in speaking and writing since it's what I learned in my studies.

I have an English major as well. I'm sure you learned how to tailor your speech and writing to the audience?

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
It's great that you're tens of thousands of dollars in debt for an education that thought you to use big words in speech.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

the runs formula posted:

It's great that you're tens of thousands of dollars in debt for an education that thought you to use big words in speech.

man you english so good you might degree-havin'?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Like anyone is going to take criticism from someone who can't even spell "Σ".

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Does the OP have some sort of disability/illness? His posts are so difficult to parse, it's like reading something written by a non-native speaker laboring with a dictionary, just... overly fussy, lacking affect.

Anyway, you should probably see if your University is hiring people. Universities are big businesses - and they favor hiring their own alumni over anyone else because it helps goose employment rates.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
e: you know what, everyone already picks on you for your communication problems and I don't really have anything fresh to add to that.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 22, 2013

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

You seem to have a speed problem. Do you plod around looking confused all day at a new job?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I've said it before. I was diagnosed at an early age with Attention Deficit Disorder. It happens to be on the spectrum of Autism, so make of that what you will.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This is the best thread...

In all seriousness though this thread makes me nervous for my future after I finish university. I have never had a solid job but I do work over the summers for my Indian Reserve. I receive funding and my tuition is payed for by my reserve. The main factor that stops me from applying for a job during University is that as soon as I get a job my funding is cut, which is reasonable I suppose.

But there are a few main differences between me and the OP:

1. I am Canadian and Canada hasn`t been hit quite as bad by the recession as the U.S from what I have been led to believe.
2. My summer jobs actually count as government jobs which look good on a resume. Starting next week I will be the main researcher in a subject that the Chief will be Investigating. I will also be his assistant and help him with his work anyway I can.
3. I know exactly what I want to do with my life and it is a reasonable thing to accomplish.

I guess I will try and find some meaningful volunteering opportunities next year. Maybe scoop up kitty poop for an animal shelter and cuddle with them and all that mushy poo poo. Anyways, thanks for scaring the poo poo out of me OP for my financial future. I sincerely hope that everything works out for you and I will keep up with this thread.

Fake edit: If this comes off as bragging that was not my attention. This thread really did scare me and typing this out allowed me to feel better about my particular situation.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Benny the Snake posted:

I've said it before. I was diagnosed at an early age with Attention Deficit Disorder. It happens to be on the spectrum of Autism, so make of that what you will.

Are you taking any kind of medication for that? If not, you should. Some Ritalin/amphetamines could really help you become less slow/lazy/useless/depressed. ADD is not on the spectrum of Autism, though. I assume you mean you've got ADD and something on the autism spectrum, like Asperger syndrome?

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah.. no it isn't.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Seriously dude, ADD is not on the Autism spectrum. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum) Autism Spectrum disorders can show ADHD-like symptoms, but that doesn't mean that ADHD is related in any way to Autism. Thyroid problems can also cause ADHD-like symptoms and that doesn't mean ADHD and Thyroid problems are caused by the same thing.

I have ADD and I am most definitely not on the Autism spectrum. I have zero of the characteristics of any Autism spectrum disorders and like 99% of the ADHD-PI characteristics. They're even caused by completely different areas of the brain!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

superv0zz posted:

Yeah.. no it isn't.

I was going to say that, too. ADD/ADHD is an entirely different can of worms. Autism spectrum and show ADHD-like symptoms, but... ask a doctor sometime how many diseases have 'flu like symptoms'. I have to say that I hate depression's brain fog. It makes me feel completely stupid.

If you suspect either of them, I would see about visiting a doctor or psychiatrist. Medication or at least a therapy referral could be of tremendous value.

Oh, and if you are hellbent on writing as a career, you really need to learn to research things and work on making sure your typing isn't loaded with typos. I don't say that to be mean, but it's akin to me trying to work IT and constantly mixing up programs and commands. Or being unable to type commands well enough to get them to work.

vvv That could be it. I'm all too familiar with the stupid depression brain fog/lack of focus. But it's still a good idea to talk to a medical professional about it. It's actively sabotaging him.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 22, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What if he's just sitting on long-held depression? Depression can make thinking difficult.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe he's trying to say that he is both on the Autism spectrum and has ADD.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Benny do you get PMs? Why haven't you started making part time walking money online yet? I made $300 a month working 10 hrs/week while I was looking for a real job. That's not very much but you're currently not making money at all with that time.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Benny the Snake posted:

[ADD] happens to be on the spectrum of Autism, so make of that what you will.

That's 100% not true.

Benny! C'mon! Bennyyy!

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Benny, I hope you're able to have something ultimately work out. After reading the thread I'm reminded of:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
OP do you have friends and/or a sex life?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

juche mane posted:

OP do you have friends and/or a sex life?

That fell apart, She got really pissed when he handed her tongs and a spatula after she requested a towel.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

ThatCguy posted:

That fell apart, She got really pissed when he handed her tongs and a spatula after she requested a towel.

Hey, he wasn't about to compromise his safety!

littleorv posted:

This is the best thread...

In all seriousness though this thread makes me nervous for my future after I finish university. I have never had a solid job but I do work over the summers for my Indian Reserve. I receive funding and my tuition is payed for by my reserve. The main factor that stops me from applying for a job during University is that as soon as I get a job my funding is cut, which is reasonable I suppose.

But there are a few main differences between me and the OP:

1. I am Canadian and Canada hasn`t been hit quite as bad by the recession as the U.S from what I have been led to believe.
2. My summer jobs actually count as government jobs which look good on a resume. Starting next week I will be the main researcher in a subject that the Chief will be Investigating. I will also be his assistant and help him with his work anyway I can.
3. I know exactly what I want to do with my life and it is a reasonable thing to accomplish.

I guess I will try and find some meaningful volunteering opportunities next year. Maybe scoop up kitty poop for an animal shelter and cuddle with them and all that mushy poo poo. Anyways, thanks for scaring the poo poo out of me OP for my financial future. I sincerely hope that everything works out for you and I will keep up with this thread.

Fake edit: If this comes off as bragging that was not my attention. This thread really did scare me and typing this out allowed me to feel better about my particular situation.

Yeah, initially reading this thread sort of freaked me out too because I'm starting to bump into graduating soon and I haven't started seriously looking for work yet (I have a position in Germany I can fall back on in case I have to).

But the OP has some pretty big self-imposed limitations that make it even worse for him:

1. He's looking for work in a ridiculously small area, due to his lack of a car

2. His degree is in a field that usually requires graduate work to find related employment (though
obviously not always), and is from a decidedly non-prestigious school. Furthermore, he doesn't seem
to have the natural talent required to make it in writing, given his posts here.

3. He apparently is not very good at holding on to the jobs he finds, and is kinda socially
oblivious. To the OP's credit though, he seems to have a decent attitude despite the utterly
relentless criticism thrown his way on this thread. Lesser goons would have crumpled into
puppetmaster or worse by now.

The economy definitely sucks and it's not at all easy to find work, even for those of us in STEM fields. But don't get too worried just because Benny here is having a tough go.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
What about patient transport or orderly jobs at the hospital your aunt works at, Benny?

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

What about patient transport or orderly jobs at the hospital your aunt works at, Benny?

Benny the Snake posted:

Actually, checking right now the only entry level position is food service and I'm applying to it. Not even a janitorial position open-everything else requires a medical or engineering degree. My neighborhood hospital is tiny. I'm going to look into other hospitals on top of that.

Doesn't look like there's any available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
"Requires a medical or engineering degree" is a way to weed out people like Benny.

• Locked thread