Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

tadashi posted:

I completely forgot about Sansa's wedding. I knew she had something important to do before Joffrey's wedding...

And then we've still got Li'l Finga and Lysa's wedding to go as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

George RR Martin's A Storm of Weddings

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Four weddings and, like, eight hundred funerals.

(actually, there ARE four weddings aren't there, Red, Tyrion, Joffrey and ikklefinger. It's a very weddingey season/book)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fatkraken posted:

ikklefinger

:raise:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Four weddings and, like, eight hundred funerals.

(actually, there ARE four weddings aren't there, Red, Tyrion, Joffrey and ikklefinger. It's a very weddingey season/book)
Doesn't Bronn get hitched in ASOS too? Speaking of which, there's this:

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Urdnot Fire posted:

Azure_Horizon, obviously.
Maybe it's because I was starved for action at that point, but it was pretty cool when she took off on Drogon in the arena. Though most of the cool can be attributed to Drogon and Belwas.

also making Jorah and Barristan work together to go through Astapor's subterranean entrance. That part almost sounded like made for the movies, odd-couple comic relief.

But the season should start to be Jaime-centric. It was after he lost his hand that he became a very interesting character.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The show kind of skipped over that whole thing by knighting Bronn for his blackwater badassery didn't they? Kind of a bummer, I liked the second hand stories of Lords challenging Bronn for being so uncouth and getting hosed up.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

stawk Archer posted:

But the season should start to be Jaime-centric. It was after he lost his hand that he became a very interesting character.

Lost a hand, gained a soul.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Reading the TVIV thread of people who haven't read the books is just adorable. I regret that since there's no backstories for the before-times of Rhaegar and the like, that they'll never speculate about who's a secret targaryen or not.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That was a pretty good episode, fairplay. Probably the best since season 1 if you don't include Blackwater.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Reading the TVIV thread of people who haven't read the books is just adorable. I regret that since there's no backstories for the before-times of Rhaegar and the like, that they'll never speculate about who's a secret targaryen or not.

They're all Targs. Not the house, the Klingon pig thing.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Krinkle posted:

Don't forget the mermen, they can't speculate about mermen either which is a shame.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
Am I the only OG who never saw any sense in finding Targaryans in every questionable birth??

One thing about the show last night: I wasn't so sure about this Ramsay...until he made that "Tee-Hee" face at Theon's horror at the end of the scene. :haw:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I don't really want Tyrion to be a Targaryen bastard but he probably is. I don't know. It ruins the moment of Jaime's aunt telling him that Tyrion was Tywin's true heir. But not doing it ruins his character introduction where his stumpy legged strut made his shadow "as tall as a king", his dreams of burning everyone, and his conveniently correct hair and eye color. I'm going to feel bad about the reveal either way.

I notice that on Not-A-Blog winds of winter isn't even a used blog tag that shows up anymore so there's no need to ask if he's done anything but cry about the Giants and blog about cheeseburger pizzas since 2010.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If any of the Lannisters are secret Targs, it's Jaime and Cersei. Tyrion couldn't exactly result from Aerys taking advantage of the bedding ceremony, the twins share the Targs' incest and crazy babies, and it'd make the misshapen dwarf Tywin's only true child.

Tyrion's just gonna ride dragons because he read how in books (get off your soapbox GRRM).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Did the 2nd season skip that scene where the guy with the evil dead hand asks Tyrion in the courtroom for help and Tyrion makes fun of him but slips in the help anyway? I remember seeing a guy with a hand in a jar going south but I don't remember seeing the resolution.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Did the 2nd season skip that scene where the guy with the evil dead hand asks Tyrion in the courtroom for help and Tyrion makes fun of him but slips in the help anyway? I remember seeing a guy with a hand in a jar going south but I don't remember seeing the resolution.

Yes it skipped it. Shame because seeing Thorne get humiliated would've been nice.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well then do I even remember seeing him going south with a hand in a jar or did I just imagine I saw it?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

I'm happy for catelyn, for once. Once she finds out her sons are alive, she'll be so happy. :unsmith:

Ah, the TVIV thread. Never change.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Ah, the TVIV thread. Never change.

I think the only thing to keep them from bursting a blood vessel when Rob dies is that Cat will dies seconds later.

Krinkle posted:

I don't really want Tyrion to be a Targaryen bastard but he probably is. I don't know. It ruins the moment of Jaime's aunt telling him that Tyrion was Tywin's true heir. But not doing it ruins his character introduction where his stumpy legged strut made his shadow "as tall as a king", his dreams of burning everyone, and his conveniently correct hair and eye color. I'm going to feel bad about the reveal either way.

I notice that on Not-A-Blog winds of winter isn't even a used blog tag that shows up anymore so there's no need to ask if he's done anything but cry about the Giants and blog about cheeseburger pizzas since 2010.

Hasn't this been completely ruled out? ADWD mentions how Aerys made some joking "lord's right" comments about Tywin's wife during the wedding and after that Tywin took her straight to Casterly Rock and she never left or visited Kings Landing or was anywhere near Aerys before she died.

Probably because Tywin knew once in the capital all bets were off for insane poo poo Aerys would do. The whole situation with the Starks getting killed was because they did their traditional fealty and came down from the North rather then raise arms and threaten the king.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Well then do I even remember seeing him going south with a hand in a jar or did I just imagine I saw it?

I'm pretty sure in the first season there was a scene with Thorne leaving from the wall to tell Kings Landing about the Others/Wights. I'm not sure if they specifically showed the hand in a jar though, but I vaguely remember seeing it as well. And Thorne hasn't appeared in the show since then, so I guess they did decide to just drop that, it's would have been a nice scene for the book readers, but I doubt show watchers would remember who he was.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Years ago I promised a stranger in line at Subway that his favorite character, Tyrion, was going to own bones the following year and they made me a liar by cutting all his dang scenes.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

I doubt show watchers would remember who he was.

TV shows nowadays always, always do the little recap where scenes and characters that are referenced/continued are shown. (unless folks skip that)

It is shown.

But yeah, if we're gonna bookchat, the best part is all the little worldbuilding details and tertiary background plots that you can fit in over the course of a bloated mess like this. :3:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dany, Tyrion, and Jon will never do anything, but at least we got closure with Bronn. :3:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

that dang old TVIV thread posted:

Honestly, as fun as it is to see Theon get hosed over and over, I'm starting to lose interest in it because I just don't know what's going on. Hopefully that whole situation will get cleared up soon.

Also, people in the thread seemed to think the offer of marrying Sansa to Loris was a fake-out, but I think it was genuine. I mean, I'm sure her hopes will be crushed since she's a Stark, but that plan follows naturally from the Dowager Countess of Roseland wanting to keep Sansa away from Twatbeard.
Haha this guy doesn't have to wait three loving books to find out what's happening to Theon and he still complains about it. Christ. Also yeah why did Margery say Loras instead of "My brother" and allowing her to jump to the wrong conclusion?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Krinkle posted:

Haha this guy doesn't have to wait three loving books to find out what's happening to Theon and he still complains about it. Christ. Also yeah why did Margery say Loras instead of "My brother" and allowing her to jump to the wrong conclusion?

They might really choose to have her arranged to marry Loras in the show. That would make it even more heartbreaking for her when she's forced to wed Tyrion instead.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Am I wrong or is Loras not already supposed to be a kings guard? Has that not happened yet? It's so hard to keep track of the inconsistencies.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Am I wrong or is Loras not already supposed to be a kings guard? Has that not happened yet? It's so hard to keep track of the inconsistencies.

I don't think its happened yet. Only Tommen is good enough for Loras's Kingsguarding.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Krinkle posted:

I thought Loras requested that he be made kingsguard during the same scene where Marge asked to be his betrothed...

e: nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_CRmBFG52E

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 23, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
To cut out Horror and Slobber and all the Tyrell crew, the Tyrell's are gonna get her hopes up with marrying Loras, then Tywin will crush her with marrying Tyrion.

Then, the "jilted" Loras can demand a Kingsguard position.

Which is much more dramatic and to the point, and works perfectly fine, as well as shows how much fat can be trimmed from the books without much loss.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

To cut out Horror and Slobber and all the Tyrell crew, the Tyrell's are gonna get her hopes up with marrying Loras, then Tywin will crush her with marrying Tyrion.

Which is much more dramatic and to the point, and works perfectly fine, as well as shows how much fat can be trimmed from the books without much loss.

You can trim the fat but you can't trim the Gurm.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why would anyone think this was a good idea to write?
There's literally no reason to write that article other than to be a poo poo.

Mormont was awesome in both book and show and it sucks he's gone.
Willas and Garlan Tyrell aren't existent in the show, but it's probably better that way because people want to know everything about the series without actually wanting to inform themselves.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

It's spelled Loris you bookreading scum

10/10 would betrothe

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

SaviourX posted:

TV shows nowadays always, always do the little recap where scenes and characters that are referenced/continued are shown. (unless folks skip that)

What's great about those is they totally ruin the shock of long-ignored plot lines coming back by reminding you of them before the episode even begins.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Or Tywin pulls a page out of Aerys' book and white cloaks him before they can marry.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What's great about those is they totally ruin the shock of long-ignored plot lines coming back by reminding you of them before the episode even begins.

With that Barristan reveal though there would have definitely been a lot of 'huh?' and 'what?' being thrown around. He only had 4 or 5 scenes in season 1 (even if one of them carved the others like cake :black101:).

kenlyric
Nov 16, 2012

Stargate posted:

With that Barristan reveal though there would have definitely been a lot of 'huh?' and 'what?' being thrown around. He only had 4 or 5 scenes in season 1 (even if one of them carved the others like cake :black101:).

One only needs to visit the baby thread during that episode to find out that even the previously on didn't really help the summer children.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Aurain posted:

Willas and Garlan Tyrell aren't existent in the show, but it's probably better that way because people want to know everything about the series without actually wanting to inform themselves.

They can just be introduced later like Shireen and Stannis Wife this season if they gonna be important. I say if because so far the only thing of importance Willas has "done" is the almost-betrothal to Sansa and I guess giving the Tyrells a reason to hate the Red Viper. The only reason anybody remembers Garlan is that he is a cool dude, who is one of the few people to give Tyrion the respect he deserves.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

kenlyric posted:

One only needs to visit the baby thread during that episode to find out that even the previously on didn't really help the summer children.

Television is a hobby.

I congregate with other such hobbyists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Stargate posted:

Yeah I had to pause and explain to my mum the significance. Felt incredibly :sperg:

e: wait that's not a smilie? How the hell do you make the pasty sperg man?