Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

nullandvoid posted:

Debt, however, will gently caress your poo poo up.

In general, no it won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Basically, as long as it doesn't show dishonesty, a lack of trustworthiness or something that they can blackmail you with it probably isn't as big an issue as you think.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I want to go into the Navy as a nurse.

I wish to join the Nursing Candidate program, so I can go to college before going in fully.

I got a 95 on my Asvab, with a 99 in General Sciences.

I've yet to see a recruiter about the Candidate Program, but how would I go about bringing up the topic to him?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I wish to join the Nursing Candidate program, so I can go to college before going in fully.

I got a 95 on my Asvab, with a 99 in General Sciences.

I've yet to see a recruiter about the Candidate Program, but how would I go about bringing up the topic to him?

First off, are you talking to a regular recruiter or an officer recruiter?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pandasmores posted:

First off, are you talking to a regular recruiter or an officer recruiter?

I don't even know the difference. I am military stupid, thus why I am coming here.

Edit: It needs to be explained that I took my Asvab as part of a school program, and have thus only talked to a recruiter in that one came an administered the test. He was Army, not Navy, so I had no questions for him.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 22, 2013

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Xenoborg posted:

I'm considering who to pick for my five letters of recommendations for my application to USAF OTS, and just had an off the wall idea. I played World of Warcraft for 6 years, until about a year ago, and normally I would never mention such a thing at any kind of job interview/application. The only reason I'm even humoring it is because I was a guild/raid leader of a single guild that lasted that entire span, managing the tactics and drama of 30-50 people. Even though I don't play anymore, I'm still good friends with several people from that time, including my successor who himself is a Army Captain, who would definitely write a glowing recommendation that demonstrated leadership of a large group.

That said, I'm still loathe to consider it because of the video game aspect. I don't need this recommendation, I have plenty of other, more conventional, ones. If I don't use it for a LOR should it ever be mentioned at all, like as leadership experience? I'm still leaning pretty heavily toward "no".

edit: V Like I said, crazy idea that just came to me, probably not a good one. Thanks for the quick and succinct replies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLzrTPkdgI

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

KittyEmpress posted:

Are you already an RN or are you talking about becoming a corpsman?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oxford Comma posted:

Are you already an RN or are you talking about becoming a corpsman?

I'm talking about the Nursing Candidate Program, which is a program that sends potential nurses off to school to become RNs before joining up.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm talking about the Nursing Candidate Program, which is a program that sends potential nurses off to school to become RNs before joining up.
How far along are you in your nursing program, or have you even started yet? I think you have to be within 2 years of finishing your BSN to enroll in the NCP. In any case, you need to talk to an officer recruiter and be very specific in that you want to join under the NCP and only under that program.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
New to GiP. Thought I'd drop in to say that tomorrow I'm heading to meet with the local Army recruiter to turn in my OCS packet. Been working on it for a little while now and I think its pretty solid. They requested three letters of recommendation so I got one from an Navy O5 fighter pilot, an Army O3 that lead several SF ODAs, an Army O4 that retired after 25 years with the 75th RR, and a Marine O4 that did several tours in Vietnam with a special operations unit before retiring and becoming a chief of police. I wanted one extra just in case.

I wasn't aware until reading the OP that there are separate recruiters for officers. Are they officers themselves or are they enlisted who are specifically tasked with officer recruiting?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

For the Air Force, they're enlisted. My recruiter was a MSgt (E-7) who retired, then I was handed off to a TSgt (E-6).

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

iroc.dis posted:

I wasn't aware until reading the OP that there are separate recruiters for officers. Are they officers themselves or are they enlisted who are specifically tasked with officer recruiting?

The Army does not have separate Officer recruiters. If they try to feed you that line of BS find a different office.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

nuncle jimbo posted:

The Army does not have separate Officer recruiters. If they try to feed you that line of BS find a different office.

I haven't asked them about it. The first I'd heard of it was in the OP:
"1) Contact an OFFICER recruiter, do not talk to an enlisted recruiter."

I'm guessing that applies to other branches but not the Army?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

iroc.dis posted:

I'm guessing that applies to other branches but not the Army?

I can't speak for the Navy or Air Force because I've never bothered talking to them (lol liberal arts), but I know the Marine Corps has separate Selection Officers and the Army does not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Navy has separate officer/enlisted recruiters.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The Air Force does have separate ones right now, but they are reorganizing, and possibly folding officer reciters and enlisted recruiters back into one position that does both.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

The Air Force does have separate ones right now, but they are reorganizing, and possibly folding officer reciters and enlisted recruiters back into one position that does both.

That sounds like a terrible idea. Most of the recruiters I've met were barely able to keep track of the enlisted commitments and the programs available to them, I couldn't imagine the wrench when they get people trying to become officers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

That sounds like a terrible idea. Most of the recruiters I've met were barely able to keep track of the enlisted commitments and the programs available to them, I couldn't imagine the wrench when they get people trying to become officers.

That's what happened when they did it a few years ago. It didn't last long.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sasgrillo posted:

Is there a wait time between basic and tech school in the Air Force and if there is what do you do? Also it was gently suggested to me by two army friends that I should try going for aircraft loadmaster when I enlist. Supposedly it's one of the best jobs in the Air Force yet it's chronically undermanned - so what exactly is the catch?

Go loadmaster. Chronic critical jobs mean that the school is tough or that medically qualified candidates are hard to come by. Loadmaster has both of those going for it. Not like the school is academically impossible but it's tough-ish. There are standards to hit as aircrew that some Finance airman would cry at because in the aircrew world one gently caress up could waste some really expensive gear and/or get someone killed.

Basically if anyone is looking at the USAF, go aircrew. Don't gently caress around with maintenance or personnel-type poo poo. DO NOT EVER GO SECURITY FORCES EVER.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

holocaust bloopers posted:

Go loadmaster. Chronic critical jobs mean that the school is tough or that medically qualified candidates are hard to come by. Loadmaster has both of those going for it. Not like the school is academically impossible but it's tough-ish. There are standards to hit as aircrew that some Finance airman would cry at because in the aircrew world one gently caress up could waste some really expensive gear and/or get someone killed.

Basically if anyone is looking at the USAF, go aircrew. Don't gently caress around with maintenance or personnel-type poo poo. DO NOT EVER GO SECURITY FORCES EVER.

Agreed on all counts. I haven't interacted with much of the Air Force but from what I've seen of the inside of lots of planes, loadmaster seems like a decent gig. Flying around in planes doing military type poo poo is a lot cooler than some POG rear end mechanics job or some crap.

Kanyeshna
Mar 14, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire
Is the ASVAB important at all beyond qualifying for a certain MOS? that is, does it effect promotion rates, selection for technical schools, etc?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kanyeshna posted:

Is the ASVAB important at all beyond qualifying for a certain MOS? that is, does it effect promotion rates, selection for technical schools, etc?

If your GT score is above 120 you'll never hear about it ever again. If you scored under I think 110 your unit might send you to FAST classes.

Other than that, it's never used for anything else ever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nope. In fact, talking about it ever again is pretty much guaranteed to get you a bunch of poo poo from everyone around you.

Kanyeshna
Mar 14, 2006
Lurker Extraordinaire
I figured as much. Thanks!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Could I feasibly enlist with my lovely GPA, take a few classes for free and ace them, would that help me get into OCS sooner than later, and would it gently caress up getting free grad school after four years if OCS didn't happen?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

Could I feasibly enlist with my lovely GPA, take a few classes for free and ace them, would that help me get into OCS sooner than later, and would it gently caress up getting free grad school after four years if OCS didn't happen?

Depends on the branch, plus going from enlisted to officer is very dependent on how supportive your command is and if they'll let you.

You can enlist with any GPA, the classes part depends on the branch and command regulation (Navy, here at the hospital and most hospitals you are required to wait a year before they give you the OK to use tuition assistance and take classes), and that's at their discretion whether the package to go to OCS will even happen. That also depends on your job and any obligations to it. Honestly, find something else to do or aim for OCS dude.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Consider that your chances of going to OCS are 0% if you never try. How you increase the chances are up to you. Yes, enlisting would increase it, taking more classes would as well, doing a poo poo ton of volunteer work definitely would. You can only get out what you put in, however this is the military so there's a chance to get nothing from what you put in. If you go in willing to accept that consequence, and ready to jump on whatever opportunities you can you'll be in better shape.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm probably gonna shop recruiters from the coast guard and air force and see what jobs they want to guarantee me. There's no obligation until I step on the bus right? I understand if I play it right I can get all the way to meps job selection and still say no? The true obligation starts on the bus ride to basic?

I've successfully quit smoking and can now run 2 miles without stopping. So that's pretty cool. I've been exercising 2 hours a day, seven days a week. I also lost my loving job so that is not cool.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 30, 2013

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Air Force and Coast Guard are the easy life, but you probably won't get into Coast Guard. And when the Air Force tells you to try the Navy keep in mind that you can pick your actual job with the Navy. Army and Marines I do not recommend for anyone whose first choice is coast guard.

And think about reserves too. You get the same training but you can get a real job at the same time. I want to say reserves are different recruiters too, but I don't remember.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The most important thing to me is getting big benefits, especially educational and medical, as well as opening up avenues for OCS as that was my intention before I royally hosed up college. Basically I'm just replacing the next four years of data entry/pouring coffee with something that may or may not be equally lovely but at least gets me more free education. I'm not sure the reserves can do that for me, especially since I don't have a career and my publishing experience is utter trash because I loving hate publishing now. As long as I don't end up cannon crewmember or cook, I'll be happy. Somebody brought up loadmaster earlier, something my cousin loves doing, so that's on my list now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Keep in mind that you'll be seeing the worst doctors in the country, as a general rule.

Between growing up with AF doctors and then all the flight docs I had to deal with while I was in, I've seen exactly ONE doc that I'd be willing to go to on the outside. The rest can suck a dick.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That's better than no doctors, isn't it? Seriously, I can't even get the flu right now.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 30, 2013

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Free dental is pretty good though. But yea, the "Ambulatory Care Center" here on base is pretty poo poo, you might as well just go to Web M.D.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ethanol posted:

That's better than no doctors, isn't it? Seriously, I can't even get the flu right now.

That's debatable. I'm uninsured and it's not all bad. I know I won't be misdiagnosed again anytime soon and have my career threatened by some jerkoff who doesn't know what a broken bone looks like on an xray, or can't tell appendicitis from a kidney stone. (just 2 of my military medical adventures)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Godholio posted:

That's debatable. I'm uninsured and it's not all bad. I know I won't be misdiagnosed again anytime soon and have my career threatened by some jerkoff who doesn't know what a broken bone looks like on an xray, or can't tell appendicitis from a kidney stone. (just 2 of my military medical adventures)

Really man, that poo poo happens all the time outside. In my last year of college, some doc told me I had a heart murmur (went in for my last insured checkup), ordered an EKG, proceeded to misread the EKG, proceeded to send off the wrong EKG results to the next doctor, who told me I was due to die of cardiac arrest any time, rescheduled me for another appointment for a second opinion and physical tests, who redid EKG, and then told me I was fine, couldn't hear a heart murmur, and he had no idea what the previous two doctors were up to, and that had I kept seeing them, I would have been unable to get a loving loan for the rest of my life because people who die suddenly of heart problems don't get loans. All this for $1000.

I'm really hoping to hear what jobs are the ones to list as top five for the recruiter and maybe we can forget about how lovely enlisting is for a few posts here?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 30, 2013

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Intel is the best. Security is the worst. Nuke is the worst of the worst. All jobs are janitors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ethanol posted:

Really man, that poo poo happens all the time outside. In my last year of college, some doc told me I had a heart murmur (went in for my last insured checkup), ordered an EKG, proceeded to misread the EKG, proceeded to send off the wrong EKG results to the next doctor, who told me I was due to die of cardiac arrest any time, rescheduled me for another appointment for a second opinion and physical tests, who redid EKG, and then told me I was fine, couldn't hear a heart murmur, and he had no idea what the previous two doctors were up to, and that had I kept seeing them, I would have been unable to get a loving loan for the rest of my life because people who die suddenly of heart problems don't get loans. All this for $1000.

I'm really hoping to hear what jobs are the ones to list as top five for the recruiter and maybe we can forget about how lovely enlisting is for a few posts here?

I realize it happens sometimes. What I'm saying is that it happened EVERY time. This isn't the thread for it, but I've got stories upon stories between myself and a couple of coworkers of poo poo that should never happen, but it happens consistently because job #1 isn't to make you better, it's to put your rear end back in the seat asap. This isn't the thread for it, but next time there's a medical rant in the AF or civ threads I'll probably post some of the more entertaining ones.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 1, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Intel is the best. Security is the worst. Nuke is the worst of the worst. All jobs are janitors.

Unless you're a corpsman, at which point you will likely not see a ship ever and then you can just chillax in your room after work since the hospitals have janitorial staff.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

ethanol posted:

I had a lovely gpa, took a few bullshit classes for fun, had a sick amount of command involvement and volunteering, good evals, and had a very strongly recommended package for ocs as a result. My command was very supportive of me. Ultimately, I withdrew my package, because I wanted to go to grad school and do different things more than I wanted to be a Naval officer, my story is not unique by any means, so think about if you really want it.

FIRST THINGS FIRST, though, and you should LEARN YOUR RATE and worry about that, and soak poo poo up like a sponge before you go pursuing the next thing down the line.

You seem like you have a good attitude, but just remember, a lot of the first half of your enlistment will probably suck a fat one a lot of the time. Just don't get crazy, or in trouble, or a on a high horse about going to college, and you may fare well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Beria posted:

I had a lovely gpa, took a few bullshit classes for fun, had a sick amount of command involvement and volunteering, good evals, and had a very strongly recommended package for ocs as a result. My command was very supportive of me. Ultimately, I withdrew my package, because I wanted to go to grad school and do different things more than I wanted to be a Naval officer, my story is not unique by any means, so think about if you really want it.

FIRST THINGS FIRST, though, and you should LEARN YOUR RATE and worry about that, and soak poo poo up like a sponge before you go pursuing the next thing down the line.

You seem like you have a good attitude, but just remember, a lot of the first half of your enlistment will probably suck a fat one a lot of the time. Just don't get crazy, or in trouble, or a on a high horse about going to college, and you may fare well.

Ah, that means a lot, thanks. I fell off my college pedicured high horse around the same time my grades hit the bottom of the ocean while space cadet douchebag got a better class rank than me so don't worry about that. I've heard the best thing to do is never bring it up which is probably what I'd do naturally.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 1, 2013

• Locked thread