Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Did anyone even get that Flaming Lips set? I like the band, picked it up, and then noticed you're supposed to play all 4 records synced with each other. It's a neat idea, but who can cobble together a set-up to do this even remotely listenable?

There are mixes on youtube you can watch that have all four of them synced up. But I think the band intended for this not to happen so all the syncs would be off thus making each listen something completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I picked up the White Stripes release along with the (personally) long awaiting Pulp single. Regardless of your opinion on Jack White, this LP is a real example of why analog is worth the effort. It sounds fantastic, every single song comes over so clear and as intended. Blown away.

Those of you talking about "RSD every pay day of the year". I'm pretty sure most people in here feel the same and that "RSD HAS SOLD OUT" and all that. The bottom line is that it gets punters into stores that for the most part are independent. It is what it is, no one is making you get up at 6am to queue for a limited Spandau Ballet reissue.

I sadly didn't manage to get the Frightened Rabbit album, I'm not even sure any made it to Toronto. If anyone is selling it send me a PM :)

midge fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 22, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alg posted:

I just did this. Hopefully soundstage is quick to ship stuff.

edit: this is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0DSM1DLks

Wow, Soundstage shipped this mornin'. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkrKafvJDxw

I'm the dad in the green who doesn't "get" music.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
RSD in Chicago went pretty well for me this year:

The Patton and Sagan records weren't RSD releases, but finding them made standing in line outside of Reckless Records in Wicker Park for 2 hours a little better. I've learned that Record Breakers (at Reggie's Music Joint) is probably the best place to go - for 2 years now there's never been a line to get into the store and I've always been able to find most of the stuff on my list.

I wasn't able to get Portugal. the Man - Church Mouth or Frank Turner - Recovery, unfortunately. Those were the two I was looking forward to the most.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hah, I still haven't been to Record Breakers. I need to make it down there.
Kind of wish I had that YOLO single, that song really cracks me up.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Philthy posted:

Did anyone even get that Flaming Lips set? I like the band, picked it up, and then noticed you're supposed to play all 4 records synced with each other. It's a neat idea, but who can cobble together a set-up to do this even remotely listenable?
I could but that appeared to be the bomb of RSD. Every store I went to had a bunch of copies and still had nearly all of them by the end of the day. Then again, I think vinyl bootlegs of that album had been a reasonably big thing beforehand (it was made for CD) so I guess it was good to put that to rest with an official copy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

midge posted:

I'm pretty sure most people in here feel the same and that "RSD HAS SOLD OUT" and all that. The bottom line is that it gets punters into stores that for the most part are independent.

I got pretty frustrated after going to two stores, and one was so packed that I couldn't even get into the door. It was worse than being in Best Buy during Black Friday. I just stood back and looked at the stores from outside and peoples hands and faces mashed against the windows and thinking how happy those store owners must be right now.

(A friend got me the Cure rerelease earlier in the day for me anyways)

Got to see Bonobo last night. That was fun. Great weekend!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think that record stores need support and customers, but I think Black Friday-like traffic is something they deserve but don't need. The only record stores in Seattle that I think do really terrible are the bad ones that are just some Vinyl Lord's dump site for albums he doesn't care to add to his library in his garage.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Oh so this online store that did a wishlist type thing for RSD just emailed me saying they've got my entire list. 22 items.

I was totally loving kidding with that thing, I didn't realize they'd actually set this poo poo aside for me :stare:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

WASDF posted:

I think that record stores need support and customers, but I think Black Friday-like traffic is something they deserve but don't need. The only record stores in Seattle that I think do really terrible are the bad ones that are just some Vinyl Lord's dump site for albums he doesn't care to add to his library in his garage.

RSD keeps my local open for months, seriously they do like 2 months worth of revenue on RSD. It's not a bad store at all, it's just a lovely area for record dudes so they def need the RSD traffic.

(The area is so barren of record guys that this weekend I bought clean, cheap copies of SF Sorrow (us promo) and Space Ritual that had sat untouched for a couple of *months*.)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh so this online store that did a wishlist type thing for RSD just emailed me saying they've got my entire list. 22 items.

I was totally loving kidding with that thing, I didn't realize they'd actually set this poo poo aside for me :stare:

Dibs on ATDI if it was on your list and you already got it

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You gotta be cool and buy it now. You're trapped. Say goodbye to things that sustain and learn to convert paper inserts into nutrients.

JehovahsWetness posted:

RSD keeps my local open for months, seriously they do like 2 months worth of revenue on RSD. It's not a bad store at all, it's just a lovely area for record dudes so they def need the RSD traffic.

(The area is so barren of record guys that this weekend I bought clean, cheap copies of SF Sorrow (us promo) and Space Ritual that had sat untouched for a couple of *months*.)

Yeah, I can see it being really, really helpful in non-huge city places.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

You gotta be cool and buy it now. You're trapped. Say goodbye to things that sustain and learn to convert paper inserts into nutrients.

There's no way I'm paying 664 dollars for the poo poo I wishlisted.

Seriously, I couldn't un-wishlist poo poo, so it kept getting piled up.

Me in Reverse posted:

Dibs on ATDI if it was on your list and you already got it

I don't already have it so if it's in there... sorry

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If Portugal. the Man - Church Mouth, The Hold Steady - The Bear and the Maiden Fair, or Frank Turner - Recovery were on that list but you don't want them, let me know. I'll buy those from you.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Turning round and not buying this stuff would be a pretty lovely thing to do; depends if you want to keep a relationship with the vendor.

That said, if the Frightened Rabbits LP I mentioned above is on there I'd take it off you hands. I wanted to snag it as a birthday present.

Edit : This fucker got 18 of them? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/The-Midnight...#ht_1545wt_1163

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

midge posted:

Turning round and not buying this stuff would be a pretty lovely thing to do; depends if you want to keep a relationship with the vendor.

That said, if the Frightened Rabbits LP I mentioned above is on there I'd take it off you hands. I wanted to snag it as a birthday present.

Edit : This fucker got 18 of them? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/The-Midnight...#ht_1545wt_1163

I'll buy 200 bucks of merchandise from them, but it's a loving wishlist without a way to un-wishlist them. What was I supposed to do?

I had no clue they'd actually GET all this stuff.

But yeah, they are not amused and I feel like a dick...

Record Store Day!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't see why you would keep adding to it, but I know what you mean. I wouldn't expect them to hold it for you either.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

I don't see why you would keep adding to it, but I know what you mean. I wouldn't expect them to hold it for you either.

They updated the page with like 5 new items every hour. So I was like, ooh I'd want that. *hour later* oh poo poo I want that too. *hour later* oh, more poo poo I want! *hour later* uhoh, I really should prioritize these and cancel the other ones... Where's the un-wishlist button? *hour later* etc.

The waiting list for these items were apparently really long and I was just the first to get to it, so it's not like they won't sell these items now.

I still feel like a dick.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
The terminology is a bit hosed, in no other context would I expect a "wishlist" to be "I WILL BUY THIS ASAP WITH NO OTHER CONSIDERATION".

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

midge posted:

The terminology is a bit hosed, in no other context would I expect a "wishlist" to be "I WILL BUY THIS ASAP WITH NO OTHER CONSIDERATION".

This.

Skip town man. This is your only option!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

midge posted:

Yeah, this most of all. At no point did I think, I will be held to this as an actual order. But here we are.

Pookdaddy G posted:

Skip town man. This is your only option!

WILL TRADE RSD VINYL FOR NEW IDENTITY

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I ordered my copy of ( ) by Sigur Ros through FatCat 6 weeks ago and I only just realised that I never got a shipping confirmation email. Here I was waiting patiently for it to arrive and it hasn't even been sent yet :argh: They better respond to my email by later tonight.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

david puddy posted:

I ordered my copy of ( ) by Sigur Ros through FatCat 6 weeks ago and I only just realised that I never got a shipping confirmation email. Here I was waiting patiently for it to arrive and it hasn't even been sent yet :argh: They better respond to my email by later tonight.

I ordered AB and () from them around the same time. I got AB a few weeks ago but never got a shipping notice for (). I'm betting they're out of stock.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dissapointed Owl posted:

it's a loving wishlist without a way to un-wishlist them. What was I supposed to do?

What if you listed some of the stuff you were less interested in and sold it to forum members at cost + shipping? You'd be buying most of your stuff, we'd be getting what we wanted at a reasonable price. Sure you'd have to schlep to the post office, but it might help you save face with your record store if you actually did go in and drop a huge wad of cash on this stuff.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cloks posted:

What if you listed some of the stuff you were less interested in and sold it to forum members at cost + shipping? You'd be buying most of your stuff, we'd be getting what we wanted at a reasonable price. Sure you'd have to schlep to the post office, but it might help you save face with your record store if you actually did go in and drop a huge wad of cash on this stuff.

Seeing as I'd have to ship it all from Europe to what I can only assume will be mostly US, it's going to cost everyone involved far more money than it would be worth.

Might as well get it from scalpers if you have to pay 25 bucks for international shipping.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Why not just be honest? A 600 dollar "wishlist" is ridiculous. Its not like they can't sell RSD releases.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

alg posted:

Why not just be honest? A 600 dollar "wishlist" is ridiculous. Its not like they can't sell RSD releases.

Oh I did. I explained that I could spend up to 200 on the items I'd prioritize, like the Poltergeist Glow in the Dark vinyl and ATDI and Elephant.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Did anyone pick up No Alternative, the Nick Cave single or the Jandek boxset?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Reckless Records online store still had a ton of RSD releases including the Jandek Boxset and all the Death Waltz releases.

The site appears to have crashed though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Fun fact: The Elephant reissue clearly used the same lacquers from the original V2 pressings. If you look on the dead wax the old V2 catalog numbers are scratched out and have been replaced with Third Man's information.

I actually bought this reissue despite having the original US pressing because gently caress money.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Doesn't the original elephant pressing have a glitch on it? I seem to remember that but can't find a mention of it now.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/white-stripes-elephant-us-vs-uk-pressing-same-master.310464/

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I'm off to pick through the remnants of my City's RSD stuff.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Reckless Records online store still had a ton of RSD releases including the Jandek Boxset and all the Death Waltz releases.

The site appears to have crashed though.

Got a copy of Komeda "the genius of" on order, you are rad.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Fun fact: The Elephant reissue clearly used the same lacquers from the original V2 pressings. If you look on the dead wax the old V2 catalog numbers are scratched out and have been replaced with Third Man's information.

I actually bought this reissue despite having the original US pressing because gently caress money.
Yeah I've got the original US pressing too. Managed to use self-restraint and fiscal responsibility to somehow not buy the new reissue. Any differences between the two in terms of sound or packaging?

The only other RSD release I was really tempted by was the Buffalo Killers EP but I think that was only in the midwest region. I might pick it up on ebay if anyone can attest to its quality.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fun fact: It's now been four months and a week since I was supposed to have gotten my Man With The Iron Fists Deluxe Pak from Soul Temple.

They've ignored in the range of 20 emails now, save one reply two months ago which said "We shipped them out in December, you should have gotten it."

:thumbsup:

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Got the ATDI record today and both LPs are LP1. gently caress.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Me in Reverse posted:

Fun fact: It's now been four months and a week since I was supposed to have gotten my Man With The Iron Fists Deluxe Pak from Soul Temple.

They've ignored in the range of 20 emails now, save one reply two months ago which said "We shipped them out in December, you should have gotten it."

Did you buy it on a credit card? Just dispute the charge and be done with it.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Me in Reverse posted:

If it makes you feel any better I still haven't received my Coolrunnings record that I ordered nearly a year ago. I've emailed the guy a bunch, he even replied and apologized and said he'd be sending it soon! But then he never sent it, and stopped responding.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Blast Fantasto posted:

Did you buy it on a credit card? Just dispute the charge and be done with it.

Paypal. The record was a pre-order so the refund period expired well before they were even supposed to ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

If it makes you feel any better I still haven't received my Coolrunnings record that I ordered nearly a year ago. I've emailed the guy a bunch, he even replied and apologized and said he'd be sending it soon! But then he never sent it, and stopped responding.

Yeah, I didn't get mine till 6-7 months after that Kickstarter ended. Had to bug the dude on Twitter A LOT for it to get sent. Pretty messed up.