Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

morcant posted:

That revelation was really... :smith:

That whole plot line when she was hanging out with Haley and in danger, the whole time I was reading it I just kept thinking Celia no don't die :ohdear:

I think you might just have been the only person who didn't want her to die :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I didn't want her to die either. I also didn't want her not to die, though. I just didn't much care about her; she's a secondary character whose screentime was going to be limited in any case.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked Celia well enough, her, Haley and Belkar's section of the party split was much less bad than Elan's.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Celia was so much better than Therkla.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The entire 'with the fleet' part of that arc was filler, so of course the Haley/Belkar was better. That doesn't make Celia any less of a frustratingly dense character.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Colonel Cool posted:

Celia was so much better than Therkla.

I like to make controversial statements, too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fool_of_sound posted:

The entire 'with the fleet' part of that arc was filler, so of course the Haley/Belkar was better. That doesn't make Celia any less of a frustratingly dense character.

"Working for an evil lich was one thing, but fighting for your life? I'd never do that! :downs:"

Gods, Roy has quite the taste in women, doesn't he?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't think Celia had any idea Xykon had taken over.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

"Working for an evil lich was one thing, but fighting for your life? I'd never do that! :downs:"

Celia was working for Dorukon - the entire reason that she gave the Order employee access was that her old employer disappeared and she just wanted to get back to town to move on with her life.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

NihilCredo posted:

I forgot about her Lawful arguing with Haley. :downs:

Still, while I don't have any great affection for her, it would suck to be permakilled by idiot thieves in a dingy human city. I was excessively unnerved that some creatures in the D&D universe weren't immortal, I guess.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Celia is there to lampshade RPG players' will to solve every problem with murder. As such she needs to have a comically exaggerated position. And she actually made it work quite well, she got them through that hobgoblin gate with a disguise and a bluff check as opposed to mindless combat which I would've loved as a DM.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really liked Celia, if for nothing else than Haley getting mad at her for giving away her gold and her retort to that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

peak debt posted:

Celia is there to lampshade RPG players' will to solve every problem with murder. As such she needs to have a comically exaggerated position. And she actually made it work quite well, she got them through that hobgoblin gate with a disguise and a bluff check as opposed to mindless combat which I would've loved as a DM.

And then she lost Roy's body and caused half the other problems in that arc too. Celia had her moments but overall she was more of a load than Roy's corpse. She was also annoyingly self-righteous about many things, including giving away other people's things and letting the bad guys almost kill Haley, to the point that she actually told Haley off for suggesting she be useful after the latter happened. And she was half of this strip, which was atrocious and ham-fisted and hypocritical and generally awful. Edit: Reading that strip again, she's also an ungrateful jerk; Haley fixed the problems she caused, was the main reason her boyfriend was able to be brought back to life, and saved her from cessation of existence multiple times, and what does she do? Badmouth Haley in the first conversation with a someone who isn't a villain or Haley.

Basically Celia is possibly my least-favorite character in the comic, and while I was not one of the people hoping she'd bite it I took a lot of satisfaction from Haley's "dismissal" of her. I really hope she doesn't return beyond a bit appearance.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 18, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, Celia doesn't bug me. She's a perfectly fine jill-of-all-trades character. Need to hurry the PCs through the dungeon? Need a lawyer? Need a love interest? Need to complicate Haley's plans and contrast civilian vs adventurer ethos? Celia's got you covered.

The thing about Celia's outlook is that she's right...to a point. As her bluffing the hobgoblins and her negotiation with Hank showed, and for that matter in the bonus strips for Don't Split the Party where even Haley was about to negotiate a cease-fire with Grubwiggler before Crystal blew it by murdering him it is sometimes possible to talk your way out of trouble. Celia is correct, you don't have to solve every problem with swords and spells.

However, where Celia gets it wrong is to believe that every problem can be solved with negotiation. You're not going to talk down the immortal lich who's dedicated decades of un-life to this one goal. You're not going to convince Redcloak to set aside the Mantle and forsake his god. The trick is figuring out which is which. She wouldn't last long as an adventurer, and indeed, nearly died on multiple occasions. But hey, at least she realizes it. She can go back to her comfortable life among the clouds precisely because people like Roy and Haley are willing to take up the burden of defending her. You know, just like every other civilian in the OotS world.

And whatever you want to say about Celia, she's way more tolerable than Roy's first love interest....

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
The really annoying thing is that Celia's bad traits didn't really come out until after she started traveling with Haley and Belkar. She felt nothing like the old Celia who was a goddamn lawyer, and as such it was really hard to stomach the whole "oh my god, you guys kill each other?" shtick.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah Man posted:

The really annoying thing is that Celia's bad traits didn't really come out until after she started traveling with Haley and Belkar. She felt nothing like the old Celia who was a goddamn lawyer, and as such it was really hard to stomach the whole "oh my god, you guys kill each other?" shtick.

Really? Why can't those two things go together? She's a lawyer, she's just not an adventurer.

I agree she goes into convenient plot-blindness when she sells the body, which is a bit hamfisted. Some good gags though 'it's m'brother'.

quote:

And then she lost Roy's body and caused half the other problems in that arc too. Celia had her moments but overall she was more of a load than Roy's corpse. She was also annoyingly self-righteous about many things, including giving away other people's things and letting the bad guys almost kill Haley, to the point that she actually told Haley off for suggesting she be useful after the latter happened. And she was half of this strip, which was atrocious and ham-fisted and hypocritical and generally awful. Edit: Reading that strip again, she's also an ungrateful jerk; Haley fixed the problems she caused, was the main reason her boyfriend was able to be brought back to life, and saved her from cessation of existence multiple times, and what does she do? Badmouth Haley in the first conversation with a someone who isn't a villain or Haley.

Almost like... she's an annoying twit who isn't as smart as she thinks she is? They just don't like each other that much after their adventures. Which is understandable.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Celia a lot honestly. She's one of my favorite secondary characters. She has her dense moments but acting like every single character doesn't is a bit silly and I thought she made a good counterpoint to some of Haley's bullshit while the more levelheaded members were away. She's better when she's allowed to be the clever lawyer instead of the "what, humans don't do that?" character but still.

And honestly Haley needs to be badmouthed a bit more. She gets away with a lot of bullshit she normally wouldn't except everyone else around her being higher on the "causes problems" scale. The only reason we know Haley isn't just a completely heartless moneygrubber is because we got to see stuff that she kept secret.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 18, 2013

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/326481872710402049
:ohdear: Wonder what's up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Eh, sites get ddosed all the time, often for reasons like "I want to see if I can."

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

His site is probably on its own server, but for smaller sites you can get indirectly DDOSed by just being hosted on the same shared server or its network.

The availability of for-hire botnets makes it really trivial to shut down a site.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

greatn posted:

Eh, sites get ddosed all the time, often for reasons like "I want to see if I can."

"Fukken ashole not updat after kickstart. DDOS TIME"

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cuchulain posted:

"Fukken ashole not updat after kickstart. DDOS TIME"

Live by the grognard, die by the grognard.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Who would DDoS OotS?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It was me guys. Sorry!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

my dad posted:

Who would DDoS OotS?

I always knew Oglaf was up to no good :argh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my dad posted:

Who would DDoS OotS?

Someone hacked the poo poo out of 'You Awaken in Razor Hill', which is roughly morally equivalent to weeing on a puppy. Fuckers is as fuckers does, I guess.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
*tumbleweeds*

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

D1Sergo posted:

*tumbleweeds*

At least it's not Goblins.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does Rich Burlew have a twitter? I'm following him, I think, but the account isn't verified.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This DDOS thing has been going on for, what, three days now?

Who are these assclowns and what exactly did Rich do to piss them off enough to DDOS him, anyway?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

greatn posted:

Does Rich Burlew have a twitter? I'm following him, I think, but the account isn't verified.

@RichBurlew is him (he confirmed it on the giantitp site).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe Rich broke some valuable glass item of theirs with his bare hand and this is their only retribution.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

greatn posted:

Maybe Rich broke some valuable glass item of theirs with his bare hand and this is their only retribution.
Sir Thumb, you have made a powerful enemy this day!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rich's Twitter posted:

Latest: DDoS is over, but it snarled up the server while it was being auto-updated and now it's offline. Repairs are commencing.

So there's that. Should resume service soon, I expect. Of course GitP is a pretty big site, what with all the forum traffic and all. I seem to recall they had to do a full forum purge a couple of years ago, the thing got so big. So it may take awhile to get Humpty Dumpty back together again.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Ursine Asylum posted:

At least it's not Goblins.

Let me post this Goblins page for you.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Call Now posted:

Let me post this Goblins page for you.

ClothHat posted:

I deserved banning but not this horrible fate.

:colbert:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

jng2058 posted:

So there's that. Should resume service soon, I expect. Of course GitP is a pretty big site, what with all the forum traffic and all. I seem to recall they had to do a full forum purge a couple of years ago, the thing got so big. So it may take awhile to get Humpty Dumpty back together again.

They couldn't mitigate a DDoS in three days, and somehow allowed updates to hose the server in that time? Sounds like their managed host is poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

This DDOS thing has been going on for, what, three days now?

Who are these assclowns and what exactly did Rich do to piss them off enough to DDOS him, anyway?

He probably realized it was the only thing he could do to improve his forums. :haw:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Despite the site issues, there's a new comic up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
What? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat:psyduck:

Seriously what the hell?