Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

I recognize that as a gigantic ripoff of Men in Black, and I don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

I recognize that as a gigantic ripoff of Men in Black, and I don't give a poo poo.

Men In Black was the Ghostbusters of the 90s, obviously the next step was to make Men In Black actually be about ghosts!

It looks like a lot of fun, I will probably see and like it.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I thought Evolution was the Ghostbusters of the 90's?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am assuming that is Marisa Miller as Jeff Bridges in which case I hope she's given the chance to go all out in acting like him in which case that would be awesome.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Officer Farva posted:

I thought Evolution was the Ghostbusters of the 90's?

It was the Ghostbusters 2 of the 00s.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gatts posted:

I am assuming that is Marisa Miller as Jeff Bridges in which case I hope she's given the chance to go all out in acting like him in which case that would be awesome.

That is her.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was the Ghostbusters 2 of the 00s.

I enjoyed Evolution.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

I enjoyed Evolution.

I saw the TV series before I saw the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

I enjoyed Evolution.

I too also enjoy Head N Shoulders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I too also enjoy Head N Shoulders.

Does it bug anyone else that in the little "commercial" for HnS at the end of the film, Orlando Jones holds the bottle up backwards?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So I see with those Electro set photos we're back to the usual "set photos leak > people bitch about how lovely an obviously unfinished version of the 'outfit' looks > finished shots come out > bitching stops/changes tack" cycle again.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

So I see with those Electro set photos we're back to the usual "set photos leak > people bitch about how lovely an obviously unfinished version of the 'outfit' looks > finished shots come out > bitching stops/changes tack" cycle again.

That cycle is kind of the reason this thread exists.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

That cycle is kind of the reason this thread exists.

That and declaring that every single comic book ever would work better as an HBO miniseries.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That and declaring that every single comic book ever would work better as an HBO miniseries.

That track seems to be stopped. Or at least mostly applied to more appropriate noncape books, like vertigo imprints.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

That track seems to be stopped. Or at least mostly applied to more appropriate noncape books, like vertigo imprints.

Spider-Man doesn't have a cape, and would be better as an HBO miniseries.

Did I do this right?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
So here is Electro before turning blue.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Barudak posted:

Finally, a charged battle with my nemesis, SPIDER-MAN!

What did you think of my performance, Spider-man? I think the police found it quite electrifying...

Stop being a resistor, Spider-man. Its not too late join the current power that rules this city!

Do you know what killed the Elephant? The ALTERNATING CURRENT!

I am completely down with this.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
To be honest, I more see Spider-Man making those puns at Electro just to piss him off.

Seeing as how we have a Spider-Man actually capable of making jokes, it'd be a shame to put that stuff on Electro.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

LateToTheParty posted:

So here is Electro before turning blue.

I like to think of it the other way around. This is Electro after he gets his powers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jamesman posted:

I like to think of it the other way around. This is Electro after he gets his powers.

He jacks into the internet and becomes a huge spider-otaku? I could see it.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Tripwyre posted:

R.I.P.D. finally has a trailer after being in development for what feels like forever. And it looks like a good deal of MIB-style fun as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07xNrVd7DU

I had no clue about this. Is the comic called the same thing?

MIB, True Grit, and Dead Like Me. Also, the beginning of the trailer reminded me of Beetlejuice. Welp, I'm sold. It looks like a lot of fun.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 23, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thor 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHFhZLJajlc

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really hope that's an Alien ship full of Gods/Dark Elves or something crashing into the buildings continuing the Kirby notions of space age Gods.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The MSJ posted:

Thor 2 trailer:

That looks really good, and ending with some Tom Hiddleston only increases my excitement.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He's fighting elves this time?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That looks loving awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zzulu posted:

He's fighting elves this time?

Yeah, dark elves from Svartalfaheim. It's one of the 9 realms in Norse mythology. Christopher Eccleston is playing their leader Malekith The Accursed. He doesn't look like this in the movie of course:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

PriorMarcus posted:

That looks really good, and ending with some Tom Hiddleston only increases my excitement.

Ditto :swoon:

Also I want to have a better look at the dark elves and Maekith because the post-production stuff before CGI made them look like Elvish Cybermen

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well that looked all kinds of delightful, and the tease of Thor and Loki teaming up was loving awesome.

"When do we start?" indeed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think Natalie Portman is going to explode in that trailer. I hope it happens in the movie!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man there's a lot of blockbusters taking place in London lately.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Man there's a lot of blockbusters taking place in London lately.

It's a nice change from New York/LA all the time, IMO

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Is the method that Marvel is using to criss-cross all these superhero stories unprecedented?
The way they can keep a steady flow of hero movies coming, and all the while knowing there will be mega Avengers team-up soon, really keeps the excitement constant for me.
It's really good marketing, I can't recall an experience like it.

That said, I wonder how soon it's going to become silly to see Earth in a constant state of immanent doom.

I saw that Tom Hiddleston is in talks to be the rebooted CROW. Which I think is a really good match.
I wonder how many money-shots of Loki doing the dramatic Smirk will be in this one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

schwenz posted:

Is the method that Marvel is using to criss-cross all these superhero stories unprecedented?
The way they can keep a steady flow of hero movies coming, and all the while knowing there will be mega Avengers team-up soon, really keeps the excitement constant for me.
It's really good marketing, I can't recall an experience like it.

That said, I wonder how soon it's going to become silly to see Earth in a constant state of immanent doom.

I saw that Tom Hiddleston is in talks to be the rebooted CROW. Which I think is a really good match.
I wonder how many money-shots of Loki doing the dramatic Smirk will be in this one.

My main question is, in a post-Avengers world, when do they decide to team up and when do they decide to go it alone? Iron Man 3 so far seems to be someone going after Iron Man specifically, so that could work as a solo venture, but this trailer looks like aliens coming to gently caress up Earth, which is...kind of what the Avengers are all about in the movies at this point. I'm not saying they need to team up this time, but when Avengers 2 comes along, what is going to present itself as bigger stakes than what we just saw, that will cause them to say, "Yup, we need to get the old band back together again."

It's going to be a bit of a tricky game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's decades of precedent for it, just not in film. They're basically just recreating the Marvel Universe (sans mutants and Spider-Man) that's existed since the sixties. It's a lot easier to keep together when you're telling a bunch of short stories every month, though - I do wonder how long they'll be able to keep it up, even if they get movies out every year. They earned a ridiculous amount of public goodwill from Avengers though so I imagine they'll be able to keep it rolling for a while.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Travis343 posted:

There's decades of precedent for it, just not in film. They're basically just recreating the Marvel Universe (sans mutants and Spider-Man) that's existed since the sixties. It's a lot easier to keep together when you're telling a bunch of short stories every month, though - I do wonder how long they'll be able to keep it up, even if they get movies out every year. They earned a ridiculous amount of public goodwill from Avengers though so I imagine they'll be able to keep it rolling for a while.

Oh, I know this is how it's been in the comics. But I'm picturing a scene in Avengers 2 where Nick Fury says something like, "We've brought you all together because a force from another world is threatening Earth." And Thor counters with, "Well, thanks for finally caring about that again. You know, I could have used your help a little while ago with, well, that exact situation." Everyone stares at the floor awkwardly, saying, "Gosh, we're just...so busy!"

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, I know this is how it's been in the comics. But I'm picturing a scene in Avengers 2 where Nick Fury says something like, "We've brought you all together because a force from another world is threatening Earth." And Thor counters with, "Well, thanks for finally caring about that again. You know, I could have used your help a little while ago with, well, that exact situation." Everyone stares at the floor awkwardly, saying, "Gosh, we're just...so busy!"

That's actually really funny. I hope they do something like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

My main question is, in a post-Avengers world, when do they decide to team up and when do they decide to go it alone? Iron Man 3 so far seems to be someone going after Iron Man specifically, so that could work as a solo venture, but this trailer looks like aliens coming to gently caress up Earth, which is...kind of what the Avengers are all about in the movies at this point. I'm not saying they need to team up this time, but when Avengers 2 comes along, what is going to present itself as bigger stakes than what we just saw, that will cause them to say, "Yup, we need to get the old band back together again."

It's going to be a bit of a tricky game.

This is just pure speculation, but it seems like the London attack may happen early on and Thor foils it alone (maybe part of the reason London was chosen as it's so far away that the other Avengers would have a tough time getting there quickly enough) and then the rest of the movie is mostly about Asgard.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I haven't been to Tumblr since this trailer came out, but I'm terrified to see the fandom go crazy over just 6 new seconds o Loki/Hiddleson.

That being said, this looks drat fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

My main question is, in a post-Avengers world, when do they decide to team up and when do they decide to go it alone?

The Avengers, at least in the movies, aren't a cohesive team like the X-Men, who have a uniting purpose beyond dealing with an immediate threat. They're more of an all-star team of mercs who are usually off doing their own things/dealing with smaller threats. The movie implied that SHIELD (or at least Fury) will treat them as an option only when there is a threat that requires all of them.

The nice thing about a shared universe, though, is that you can have the lesser team ups. Heros crossing paths because whatever issue they are tackling has brought them together. I know goons despise Iron Man 2, but Black Widow and SHIELD being involved in the movie made a hell of a lot of sense. Stark is viewed as a possible asset, so not only did they keep tabs on him by embedding Black Widow as his assistant, they also directly intervened when poo poo started falling apart.

EDIT: The Thor 2 trailer looks great. Thor was probably my favorite of the individual Phase One movies, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 23, 2013

• Locked thread