Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Generally its probably due to similar reasons why I jumped ship. AI guys typically work hard, manual jobs (obviously there are exceptions) and at the end of the day it's nice to be able to just sit down and not have to deal with bullshit after your work day. I'm 28 years old and my hips and knees feel like theyre 40 and I can't hardly walk down the stairs in the morning without sounding like I've stuffed a roll of bubble wrap down my pants. The Vic is nice in that regard. Everything works, its comfortable compared to my previous cars, but I can't help but feel like I sold out. First car I've owned that has working AC and now it's got me thinking about poo poo like seat heaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

First car I've owned that has working AC and now it's got me thinking about poo poo like seat heaters.

Seat heaters rock. I know, you do feel like a sell out, but having a reliable DD is never selling out. Keep this car nice and unmodified, find yourself a nice car to work on.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Generally its probably due to similar reasons why I jumped ship. AI guys typically work hard, manual jobs (obviously there are exceptions) and at the end of the day it's nice to be able to just sit down and not have to deal with bullshit after your work day. I'm 28 years old and my hips and knees feel like theyre 40 and I can't hardly walk down the stairs in the morning without sounding like I've stuffed a roll of bubble wrap down my pants. The Vic is nice in that regard. Everything works, its comfortable compared to my previous cars, but I can't help but feel like I sold out. First car I've owned that has working AC and now it's got me thinking about poo poo like seat heaters.
I've been thinking about this a lot as I recently went from an LS400 to a Legacy and miss my old car. I don't think the Legacy is going to last more than a year or two. You're still young but I do think aging makes you appreciate large sedans with a softer ride, creature comforts and low end torque. Aggressively flinging a car around with hard suspension and a manual transmission is fun sometimes. DD is another story. I think having superb roads makes a bit of difference but even then sometimes going to work you just want to put it in D, zone out and casually float your bubble to work.

Admittedly I do have a Miata 93LE with the gokart suspension if I want to hoon on the weekends but my next car is going to be: boat, RWD, V8, leather.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Everything works, its comfortable compared to my previous cars, but I can't help but feel like I sold out. First car I've owned that has working AC and now it's got me thinking about poo poo like seat heaters.
I understand what you mean, but it's not like you've gone and signed yourself up to pay $700 a month on a lease for a car you don't particularly want/need just so you meet someone else's expectations for what nice, respectable people drive. That's selling out for people like us. Happening to have a car that actually works, but is still DIY-friendly and has potential to be mucked about with, is not "selling out". It does not make you that oval office who buys a brand new (but bottom-of the range and unoptioned) BMW and then sneers at people who don't because they aren't nice people like he is.

One day, I hope, you will get someone offer you a rung or two up the ladder, and you can sit in a nice warm office and direct the barely-controlled chaos happening in the bays from the other side of a desk. If you take hold of the same worry about "selling out" and don't do it because of some fear that you need the lovely end of the stick to be constantly poking you in the ribs in order to be "genuine" or whatever, I swear to whichever diety is convenient that I will fly over there and kick you in the spuds.

Ranting aside: Your get-to-work car does not need to be a hairy shirt. If you really feel bad about it, slam your dick in the door a couple of times before heading off to work, it'll give you all the discomfort of coming out to find the car won't start/won't stop/is on fire without any of the late-to-work or spending-evening-fixing-poo poo-in-20-degree-weather-when-you-could-be-getting-laid consequences.

There is no pride to be had in areas of your life being poo poo, and there is no shame in areas of your life actually going your way for a change. Enjoy having a cushy, working car and redirect the energy you used to have to expend on miscellaneous automotive disasters on things like your career and girlfriend.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Looks like I now have a better reason to trade my E30 318i for a panther. It looks like I am going to be moving up to shoreline, which is going to make my commute a bit longer to downtown seattle(granted only a couple miles, but it will change from 99/surface streets to i5), so its time to buy something that is better for sitting in the AWESOME seattle traffic, so why not a p71! Been watching cl for them, and keep seeing cars posted by this guy

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/3756326145.html

That is the nicest looking one that he has posted right now. It seems like just a guy who got a dealers license and buys ex-cop cars from auction and resells them. Am I right in thinking I want a 2003+ year?

Then theres this one, about the same price, few more miles, but a 06

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/3746095094.html

I do really like the gold/silver color, trying to stay away from black/white/SPD blue, but I dont care that much.

What should I be on the look out for? I have pretty much no experience with american cars(but plenty of japanese/euro cars). 14" which shady car lot did you pick yours up from? If I found something, is there a way I could bring it to the shop you work at for a PPI(or just bring it to you after hours which would prolly mean more cash for you)?

And for the selling out by getting rid of a e30, I still have a st165 alltrac celica that needs attention. I am hoping that a reliable DD will give me more time/money to spend on it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm free Thursdays and Fridays every week if we wanted to set something up, or always bring it by the shop any day of the week. CVI's are ten to fifteen bucks depending on if we're having a coupon for them or not, and a buyers inspection is basically the same thing but full coolant pressure test/battery electrical and alternator test, and getting an alignment reading just to see how out of spec it is. The 06 has a nicer interior in my opinion, it's the updated one. Thanks to Leia, anything MY03 and up has the updated suspension. My car was bought near Seatac, but there's a couple lots on Aurora in the neighborhood of 90th-125th that have a few cruisers. Might be worth it to wave cash like I did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, my friend quit working at that lot so there goes any chance of getting the GS for super cheap.

Just ran the VIN, totally clean, no accidents, looks good. It's actually a 2003 as someone pointed out earlier.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 23, 2013

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is there a significant difference between 255/45/18 and 235/50/18?

I have a 2007 cvpi currently with winter tires on the stock 17 steel rims. I got some 18" mustang rims and plan on getting firestone wideoval indy 500 tires for summer. There is about a $60 difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

lampey posted:

Is there a significant difference between 255/45/18 and 235/50/18?

Almost nothing. .1" radius.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

Admittedly I do have a Miata 93LE with the gokart suspension if I want to hoon on the weekends but my next car is going to be: boat, RWD, V8, leather.

I own a '97 Miata and a Panther. Best of both worlds :haw:

Also don't feel like you "sold out" 14, you deserve to have a comfy dependable DD because you bust your rear end on poo poo piles all day. When you can afford it get a second car that you can torture yourself with, but on your terms when you want to and not when you have to. Big loving difference and WAY more enjoyable.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

leica posted:

I own a '97 Miata and a Panther. Best of both worlds :haw:

You're missing an old boxy Cherokee. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

Kastein's owned enough to balance things out for all of AI.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hell with that, I own my second and last Cherokee, aside from the parts cars that keep showing up once in a while :colbert:

I just keep trying to convince everyone else to get them too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Been there, done that :colbert:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kastein posted:

Hell with that, I own my second and last Cherokee, aside from the parts cars that keep showing up once in a while :colbert:

I just keep trying to convince everyone else to get them too.

because of your thread and another one, I have also thought of getting a commanche. Not what I need as a DD, but still thinking of getting one just to have a truck around.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

drat shame, too, despite it's problems (most of which I recall could be fixed with a lower rear end) Edit: I should really look things up before I just post. Seems the Marauder already had the 3.55 rear end. I just remembered a lot of reports of the car being sluggish off the line and maybe people wanted it to be something it wasn't, I don't know. :shobon:

When the Marauder was launched my dad came home with a promotional DVD and was considering picking one up but didn't. I know where I get my car ADD from.

I found a Marauder for sale near my town a couple of years back and just about did cartwheels. I had just been in a serious single-car accident in a Grand Marquis, and that car definitely saved my life. I'll have to get some pictures of the Marauder up once the snow around here melts and I can actually clean the thing up.

It isn't anything incredible off the line. I think the Marauder is much better appreciated as a solid, capable sedan rather than as a muscle car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sunshine Mix posted:

It isn't anything incredible off the line. I think the Marauder is much better appreciated as a solid, capable sedan rather than as a muscle car.
That makes it sound broken to me. It's your duty to now secure a blower and make it into a muscle car again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wow, looking at the Wikipedia page for the Marauder, I didn't even know it was available in any color other than black. I've never seen one not so.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Silver and Maroon Marauders look awesome. You don't see them a lot though.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
My grandmother had a black Marauder new a few years back. I drove it around some and it was fun, that definitely put them on my radar if I ever feel like having a big comfy sedan. The limited edition Marauder leather jacket that they came with was also gifted to and worn out by me over the years since then... :D

The amount of people either blocking you at the speed limit or getting the gently caress out of your way was kind of funny.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That makes it sound broken to me. It's your duty to now secure a blower and make it into a muscle car again.

There is only like a 60 HP gain with the 32 valve engine.... So its only 302 hp give or take.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
The p71 is like a greenhouse here in AZ, I'm going to get it tinted today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Weather Tech Vent Visors help a lot as well as a sunshield. Those as well as tint are a must here in FL.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I"ve got an 03 Grand Marquis, I love the car but I've got a couple questions.

What are you guys averaging for fuel economy? I'm about 15mpg with new spark plugs and a recent oil change. I guess that's mostly around town though so maybe I shouldn't complain.

My car is squeaking, It's squeaking in the front end and it sounds like the rear too. It feels OK when I drive it, should I be concerned? I did the lower ball joints last year so I'm thinking it could maybe be the uppers or possibly the car needs shocks.

Also I just want to say these things are awesome, I love driving this big rear end car around!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I really prefer the Northstar vs the Intech DOHC 4.6. Having driven my friends Mark VIII and a similar year Eldorado and my DTS, the Northstar feels so much more responsive. The 4T80E downshifts promptly and it never feels like your in the wrong gear when you have the 3.71 axle ratio (the performance flavor of the Northstar). The 3.11 axle ratio on the base Northstars is ok but its tuned for more torque so its a tire fryer. The Mark VIII took off strong enough but it lacked the aggressiveness that GM put in its DOHC V8.

The Marauder would look better without the CV tail lamps. At the 2004 Boston auto show a FLM representative was talking to me and my friend how this was a car for my generation and when I looked at the sticker I said it sure isn't priced for it. Grand Marquis LSE's are pretty good and anyone looking for a Marauder may as well save a few bucks and get that.

Is the 4R75W better the 4R70W? I really hated that transmission even more so now that I actually experience a trans that responds to aggressive throttle inputs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KennyLoggins posted:

I really prefer the Northstar vs the Intech DOHC 4.6.

Its to bad GM killed this engine. Just when they got it right, they killed it.

To bad, really for a big car, and my driving style (relatively aggressive) I still managed around 21-22 mixed driving. Not bad for a 2 ton car.

And besides the STS-V with the supercharged Northstar just... just sounds amazing.

http://youtu.be/bEhi3R6qqpU?t=1m2s

Fast forward to 1:00 minute in...

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 25, 2013

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Huggable Bear King posted:

I"ve got an 03 Grand Marquis, I love the car but I've got a couple questions.

What are you guys averaging for fuel economy? I'm about 15mpg with new spark plugs and a recent oil change. I guess that's mostly around town though so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Eh I don't really keep excellent track of it. Last time I bothered to check I got about 17 mpg, almost exclusively urban driving with quite a bit of thrashing around.

Having previously owned a Deville, I'll agree with Kenny Loggins on the engine preference. Needless to say, however, putting a RWD Panther through its paces is slightly more fun than slinging the old boat around was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I tried to buy that Marquis today but nobody showed up to the lot in the hour I was there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sunshine Mix posted:

Having previously owned a Deville, I'll agree with Kenny Loggins on the engine preference. Needless to say, however, putting a RWD Panther through its paces is slightly more fun than slinging the old boat around was.

Would you say, perhaps, that the experience is somewhat akin to placing yourself in a zone of danger?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Midniter posted:

Would you say, perhaps, that the experience is somewhat akin to placing yourself in a zone of danger?

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I'm about to trade my fleetwood brougham for a 89 mercury grand marquis with a posi automatic trans and the 302 HO mustang engine swapped in. Buyer wants to build the caddy into a hit on the strip. I'll fill you all in on details if and when this deal happens.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Made another trip to the CV graveyard, got a working OD cancel switch, lug wrench, and Police Interceptor badge now that I got my plates and tabs. Let's see how long it takes me to get hassled over the badge :v: It's the only one I'm putting back on, it looks enough like a cop car as is. With the OD cancel switch and a fresh passive flush with 15 qts of Mercon-V I was hoping to check if the pronounced shudder I get almost at 50 on the dot was torque converter shudder but it remains either way. I can definitely feel the OD cancel kick on and off smoothly when at speed, so the hunt for my shudder continues. All wheels are straight and balanced, and suspension seems tight. Eh, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

11BulletCatcher posted:

I'm about to trade my fleetwood brougham for a 89 mercury grand marquis with a posi automatic trans and the 302 HO mustang engine swapped in. Buyer wants to build the caddy into a hit on the strip. I'll fill you all in on details if and when this deal happens.

My first car was an '87 Grand Marquis LS and it was amazing. The later rounded Panther styling is a total letdown by comparison. Those headlights. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I had a Police Interceptor badge on my Miata from the PO for a little while. Unfortunately it ended up in the trash when I debadged the rest of it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Huggable Bear King posted:

9-10mpg with my '91 Colony Park, new spark plugs, all city driving. I'm planning to seafoam it and check a few other things but I'm not sure how abnormal the mileage actually is. In retrospect I probably could've bought a newer Grand Marquis for similar money and (probably) gotten (much) better mileage but I love the wagon.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 27, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pulling about 9-10 city, top freeway was about 22 all highway in my '02 so I'm not really sure how much better you can get even going newer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Only way you're gonna do better is with taller gears.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I got 21mpg on my first fill up. I probably has 1/8 tank or so of e85 and it was probably 2/3 highway and 1/3 city. Not bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Pushing around a 2 ton brick isn't going to net the best MPG's and even switching to taller gears won't help all that much. The engine will end up working a little harder off the line so what ever gains on the highway will be completely negated in the city.

Or so one would think.