Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Any good wuxia films on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

MeaningOfLife posted:

Except The Raid: Redemption is not on Netflix.

It is in Canada. Pretty sure it was mentioned in this thread before, maybe they took it down from American Netflix for the time being.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Raid is on the UK version of Netflix

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I tried watching some of Aziz Ansari's stand-up special Intimate Moments and was greeted with a nightmare vision of a world where you can stand on a stage reading a wacky troll you did on Facebook off your phone and it counts as telling a joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's one of the reasons why I love the original version so much. His reputation as an angry person seems blown way out of proportion, he's very direct but not the raging crazy man the US version likes to show. Someone is obviously doing a lot of editing and telling Ramsay to crank it up several notches.
Yeah, that's Restaurant: Impossible:

He does look a bit like Henry Rollins. I've seen it a few times, though it doesn't look like it's streaming, at least not in the US. It's OK if you're into these kind of shows, he's a pretty soft-spoken guy but they really manufacture the drama by having the owners and workers act ridiculous. The remodeling gimmick is interesting, they work with remodelers to do some pretty major overhauls on the restaurants. I'm always just distracted the whole time by how ripped the guy is.

I was very surprised to see recently that Robert Irvine recently married the pro wrestler Gail Kim. What an odd little intersection of trashy TV.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

College Rockout posted:

Just watched 13 Assassins and The Man from Nowhere on the recommendations of this thread and I loved both of them. Are there any other great Eastern action movies on Netflix I should watch? I haven't explored much of the foreign section except for Ip man (also loved) and Oldboy (not a big fan of).

Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame was pretty good. A little slow at times, but it has some great action sequences and visuals.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Erebus posted:

I tried watching some of Aziz Ansari's stand-up special Intimate Moments and was greeted with a nightmare vision of a world where you can stand on a stage reading a wacky troll you did on Facebook off your phone and it counts as telling a joke.

Wait, you mean that he did this in multiple stand-up specials? :ughh:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bar Rescue is a cool show that I could understand how people would hate, but once you see the Piratz one, you will realize Jon Taffer is actually doing God's work.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Erebus posted:

I had the same reaction. That entire part was really uncomfortable to watch, and I remember it being pretty long. Really dig his character in Parks & Rec, but he is awkwardly incapable of writing his own material. Goes to show that while someone can act funny, that doesn't make them inherently funny.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alex WS posted:

I had the same reaction. That entire part was really uncomfortable to watch, and I remember it being pretty long. Really dig his character in Parks & Rec, but he is awkwardly incapable of writing his own material. Goes to show that while someone can act funny, that doesn't make them inherently funny.

My first exposure to Aziz's standup was when he was performing in-character as Raaaaaaaandy from Funny People, which is basically him taking the piss out of stand-ups like Dane Cook, and it was hilarious. He's funnier acting like an unfunny comedian than he is actually trying to be funny.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Any good wuxia films on Netflix?

Go watch Wing Chun posthaste.

After that, Project A and World of Drunken Master are both up on streaming and pretty rad.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 23, 2013

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Nimrod's Son posted:

I just watched Lonesome Dove for the first time since I was a kid and was blown away by Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duval playing retired Texas Rangers doing a cattle drive. I've always heard that it was the best mini-series ever made and after watching it as an adult I find it hard to argue. Not your typical shoot 'em up western, and a little melodramatic at times, but the music and cinematography are great. Highly recommended.

The cottonmouth scene terrified me as a little kid. I'm still a little scarred from it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
So let's talk about The Hunger Games for a moment.

My biggest disappointment with this movie is how it could never figure out exactly what message it wanted to convey. It clearly wanted to be a love story, but the chemistry between the two main actors isn't convincing enough. It wanted to be a commentary on class struggles, but it doesn't nearly go far enough with the concept, and it even seems to revel quite a bit in the decadence of the upper class. It seems like it wants to be a commentary on the exploitive nature of reality TV, but The Running Man already beat them to that punch decades ago, and did a much better job of it.

And don't even get me started on the ending, in which nothing is resolved in any satisfactory way and instead we're basically left with, "welp, hope you're in the mood to wait for the sequel."

So if you're interested in two and a half hours of half-formed ideas and softball commentary on America's class divide, then this is your movie. In the meantime, just watch Battle Royale instead, since it does everything much better than this mediocre pile.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm not about to perform in-depth analysis of a teen-oriented drama, but it's pretty clear that it's not designed to be a love story between the two, rather the love story angle being used to gain favor of the Hunger Games' audience, and thus letting the two win/live.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

foodfight posted:

Kitchen Nightmares is now on streaming. It is the perfect show to throw on while you are doing other stuff because every episode follows essentially the same formula. If you are looking for a standout episode the first season features a restaurant called Sebastian's and the owner is basically the Troy Duffy of restaurants.

The US Kitchen Nightmares is awful but everyone should watch just the Sebastian's episode, because the concept of the restaurant is so bizarre and the owner is so entertainingly full of it.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah, I think it's made pretty clear in my one viewing she still has the hots for bow-hunter guy back home and doesn't really like strong-cake guy.

Also it's an adaptation of a young adult novel, I'm not sure it's really trying to get a specific "message" across so much as be entertainment.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Comparing The Hunger Games to Battle Royale is this decade's comparing Avatar to Dances with Wolves, only even worse.

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm not about to perform in-depth analysis of a teen-oriented drama, but it's pretty clear that it's not designed to be a love story between the two, rather the love story angle being used to gain favor of the Hunger Games' audience, and thus letting the two win/live.

The book is entirely from Katniss' perspective and the whole time she's literally thinking "I don't like this guy but we have to put on a show to get pledges and help us win" so she encourages the narrative of two dopey star-struck lovers that Peeta genuinely believes in.

And I don't see how else the movie could have ended. They "won" the hunger games but nearly two dozen of their peers have been brutally slaughtered, they've made themselves POIs for the government since people took their bluff as a symbol of revolution, and they're going to have to spend their entire lives living out a fake relationship that is one-sided at best.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I'm more curious with what they're going to do going forward, since the first book was brainless but an exciting, quick read, the second book was a boring rehash, and the third book was an incoherent mess. I don't envy the screenwriters.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

maxnmona posted:

The US Kitchen Nightmares is awful but everyone should watch just the Sebastian's episode, because the concept of the restaurant is so bizarre and the owner is so entertainingly full of it.

His menu might be making more money than mine but mine was UNIQUE!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I guess I was just expecting a bit more out of the movie since the premise has so much untapped potential. A future dystopia where one class of people live in a high-tech city and the rest live in squalor? An ultra-popular reality TV show where teenagers are forced to not only fight to the death, but also play to the crowd's favor? A war in the not-too-distant past that (apparently) very nearly ended in an apocalyptic scenario? "Young adult" target audience or otherwise, a competent writer could have done so much more with that kind of material.

But then, I went into it basically blind; the only things I knew before queuing it up were, "It's an adaptation of a young-adult novel and half of the people on my Facebook wall seemed to love it when it came out in theaters a year ago." So you can probably just chalk it up to a case of miscast expectations.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Not to get too spoilery, but doing a Hunger Games/Cabin in the Woods double feature would be a great way to get people into horror.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

foodfight posted:

Not to get too spoilery, but doing a Hunger Games/Cabin in the Woods double feature would be a great way to get people into horror.

No no no no no.

If you want to get someone "into" a genre, don't watch a movie that is utterly contemptuous of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is there even an entry bar into horror?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

foodfight posted:

Cabin in the Woods was really made for horror fans. I don't think the average newcomer would get many of the references, if any.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Shining, and Poltergeist all come to mind as being great examples of horror that don't have things like excessive gore that would turn some people away automatically, and also where the fear is important to the themes of the film rather than the end goal itself. Basically they're such great films that people who don't like being scared will stick it out anyway, and hopefully appreciate the frightening bits afterwards. That, to me, is what makes a good introductory horror film.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 23, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cabin in the Woods was really made for horror fans. I don't think the average newcomer would get many of the references, if any.

Its more about contrasting the controlled death scenarios in both movies. Cabin in the Woods is like a bad nerdcore song with its references. Its sort of thrilling to see the references but that is the extent of their function, simply reference.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Also The Shining has gotten me laid more than once, so I'd recommend it for that reason too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Chainsaw Scumfuck

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Also The Shining has gotten me laid more than once, so I'd recommend it for that reason too.

Oh, we're bros on this, I just find it striking how similar the two movies are. I wasn't making a definitive statement about horror.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Not just horror fans, but jaded horror fans. Cabin in the Woods was made for people who've seen a poo poo-ton of bog standard horror movies over the years and are basically done with the formula and want a cathartic release from "teens in a spooky forest" horror movies.

So basically it's the exact opposite of a good introductory horror movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

foodfight posted:

Its more about contrasting the controlled death scenarios in both movies. Cabin in the Woods is like a bad nerdcore song with its references. Its sort of thrilling to see the references but that is the extent of their function, simply reference.

I don't think that's fair. Cabin's references are clearly there to make a statement about horror films, their audiences, and what horror can/should represent. It's just a dumb, bad message presented in a hamfisted and stupid way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of horror, if anyone's been in the mood for an old-school slasher flick, you can check out Mario Bava's Bay of Blood, which is an edited-down version of Twitch of the Death Nerve (which I haven't seen, so I can't really compare them). It's Italian horror, and was a big influence on the original Friday the 13th. It's not amazing by any means, but it's fun fluff. The gore effects are really good, and it's shot well in some places. It also has one of the most bizarre twist endings I've ever seen in a horror film, end music and all. The biggest problem is the sound was quiet on my laptop.

I've run through a lot of the horror movies that come up on my account, and I'm wondering if there are any classics or hidden gems I should look into? (What I've seen: The Evil Dead, Scream series, Re-Animator, Rosemary's Baby, SLiTHER, Tucker & Dale, VHS, Carrie, Tremors, The Frighteners, House of the Devil, Pontypool, House, Red State, Hellraiser, The Omen, C.H.U.D., Insidious, The Hole, Grave Encounters, Identity, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Killer Klowns, The Host, Dead Girl, Monkey Shines, Henry, American Werewolf, Severence.) Anything I'm missing out on?

I've been watching Hemlock Grove here and there, and it's pretty entertaining.

And I guess I'm in the minority of people that really liked Cabin In The Woods here.

Edit: Also, any good Western recommendations?

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 23, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Franchescanado posted:

And I guess I'm in the minority of people that really liked Cabin In The Woods here.

I really liked it too. It's just a drat entertaining flick and Richard Jenkins does a fantastic job. Tucker and Dale Vs Evil was in a somewhat similar vein as well, and I also enjoyed that a lot.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

CineD really like CitW when it first came out but as time went on the majority opinion became that it was an awful movie and now people tend to get bitched out for even recommending it.

I can see some of the criticisms, but man, I too really liked that movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Where do you find girls who are into dog masks?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Cabin in the Woods rules, ignore the people who seem to have over-thought themselves out of a good time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

weekly font posted:

Where do you find girls who are into dog masks?

Looks at how much this guy doesn't get it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

I've been watching Hemlock Grove here and there, and it's pretty entertaining.
I had actually just come in here to say that I've started watching Hemlock Grove and I'm less than impressed. I might be unfairly comparing it to House of Cards, but the acting is shaky and so far the characters aren't drawing me in. Does it get better as the season goes on? I'm only working on episode three right now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Samfucius posted:

Cabin in the Woods rules, ignore the people who seem to have over-thought themselves out of a good time.

I was sort of offended by this at first but then I realized that the implication is that the only way to not find Joss Whedon funny is to think about it for a minute, which is completely fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Samfucius posted:

I spent a healthy amount of time thinking about Cabin in the Woods and still enjoyed it, though I agree it's more of a movie for people burned-out on horror than people who are looking for an intro to the genre. As for its reception, I just think a lot of horror fans get unduly offended by the characterization of the control-room workers.

If you want to stuff this movie into a double-feature, gather all your jaded horror buff friends in one room and show them Cabin in the Woods and Ti West's Innkeepers. Which, unlike Cabin in the Woods, is available on US Netflix.

• Locked thread