Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure that's just the one cow.

EDIT FOR NEW PAGE CONTENT:

Anyone else getting hosed off with an influx of cyclists in addition to the normal yearly "thaw" of the seasonal riders?

I've started categorising them:

The Lycras - Have all the gear, probably belong to the local velo club. Carbotanium-monocoque-graphite frame probably cost more than my KTM before they even put wheels on it. Ride two abreast at minimum so as to cause maximum inconvenience to everyone else.
+4 Entitlement bonus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y

The Wobblies - Finally dug out the bike from the shed, spent a hundred quid getting the shop to replace the rusty chain and rotted tyres so they can cycle to work once, arrive late and sweaty and swear off the whole thing until next year. Don't tend to ride two abreast but wobble around the road enough that has the same effect.
+2 Entitlement, -2 for collision avoidance checks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuWTBAsZOBI

The Dickheads - Fixed gear vintage-style bike from a boutique maker, ditched the brakes and put narrow bars on it to cut up traffic. Pencil moustache and wayfarers optional. Can't wear a helmet because it would ruin their hair or wouldn't fit over their dreadlocks. Probably plays synth*.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

*(they all play synth)

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

And here I thought I was a fatsass; don't feel so bad now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm not sure that's just the one cow.

EDIT FOR NEW PAGE CONTENT:

Anyone else getting hosed off with an influx of cyclists in addition to the normal yearly "thaw" of the seasonal riders?

I've started categorising them...

I see these people every day on my commute.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Just wondering here, how on earth is a brain bucket considered passing the tests to be DOT certified? Does DOT testing just include dropping a weight on the top of it, and not caring whether you get in an accident and slide 30 feet on your face? There should be different levels of certification, and only allow DOT/Snell/whatever at the top. I also think it would be a lot less confusing if you had things like testing the chin bar (something I think only Snell does) play into DOT certification so you don't get people that think "Well by golly this plastic shell says DOT approved and I think I look just like that guy from Sons of Anarchy yep gonna get this one and be safe!" when it's inherently unsafe.

1. Bandanna Freedom Level - Your wife and children can wipe their tears with your blood soaked American flag bandanna when you get in an accident and die from it. Closed casket. Not DOT approved, but if you love freedom, give the middle finger to safety and ride.
2. Brain Bucket Level - Perfect for scooping up the remains of your face, teeth, and spine when you grab too much front brake and hav ta layer dan. Head bounces off the pavement a few times. Closed casket. Maybe your estate can buy a wicked sick DOT Approved sticker for your casket since, you know, you're just Doing Our Thing.
3. 3/4 Face Level - Now we're getting somewhere. Perfect for your retro bike as you ride to Starbucks to write on your Macbook Pro. Wreck with this baby and you might get lucky enough to eat from a tube for the rest of your life. Small price to pay, though, to feel the wind in your face bugs in your face. Those junebugs really wash down that mocha frappuccino nicely!
4. Full Face Level - I really have nothing snarky to say here, wear a full face helmet and your chances of walking away from an accident dramatically increase.

When I ride, I'll only wear a full face, but I am OK with someone making a poor decision as long as they accept the possible repercussions from said poor decision, including but not limited to losing your jaw, missing teeth, brain injury, or death.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

americanzero4128 posted:

Just wondering here, how on earth is a brain bucket considered passing the tests to be DOT certified? Does DOT testing just include dropping a weight on the top of it, and not caring whether you get in an accident and slide 30 feet on your face?

Short answer? Yes.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My Ktm made it to the west coast again. 1400 more miles on the odo and I'm definitely at the end of this set of tires; the mefo super explorer and tkc80 have seen about 9k in six months and though they feel okay they look like crap. Whats left of every knob on the mefo is cracked around the edges. Also started seeing the red chain dust of doom and noticed the links are being stiff too, so ill be replacing it and the sprockets on this trip as well. Filtering to the front at stop lights is the best EVER.

Also: anyone else ever catch a wasp in their leathers at 85mph? The one time I remember to zip together my two piece and I get stung all over the back for it. :( some tour bus got to see me undress on the side of I10, lucky folks!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep, left my sleeves unzipped between Boise, ID and Baker City, OR a couple years ago and some sort of wasp flew up my sleeve and stung my arm. As I was swatting at my jacket going 80mph down I-84, it stung me again and again. Several of the trucks I most recently passed got to see me whip my jacket off on the shoulder and beat it against the guard rail.

I also got stung on the thigh by some sort of wasp last year near Skamania, WA, also while riding. Inner thigh. Then I rode 70 miles of twisties around Mount St. Helens and oh god it hurt to grip the tank.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I had a tiny hornet fly into one of my helmet's top vents and sting me on the top of my head. That sucked a lot.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I found a dead wasp sort of wedged between my helmet's top vent opening and the helmet itself. It broke to a billion pieces when I tried removing that corpse with a pair of pens since I didn't have any small tools at work and it smelled sort of rotten.

At least I didn't get stung.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&pagenumber=326&perpage=40#post406759233

:ohdear:

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 24, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I once got stung in the palm on a shakedown ride around the block. I swatted a bee away, pulled to the next stop sign while flipping up my visor and when I put my hand down (gloveless) the bastard stung me. That one hurt like a bitch. It was my throttle hand too :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I passed a rite of passage tonight! I had my first shitbird left-turner! In a 90s donked out corolla no less. I usually ride at night precisely to avoid this kind of thing, but oh well. Did an emergency stop without losing either wheel OR flipping over mr. autozone wondercar's hood :waycool:. The dude just kinda shrugged with his palms out.

On the plus side, I might actually scrape together the money for SS brake lines now. Past the halfway point of the lever I didn't really feel like I was getting any extra braking power.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

M42 posted:

I passed a rite of passage tonight! I had my first shitbird left-turner! In a 90s donked out corolla no less. I usually ride at night precisely to avoid this kind of thing, but oh well. Did an emergency stop without losing either wheel OR flipping over mr. autozone wondercar's hood :waycool:. The dude just kinda shrugged with his palms out.

On the plus side, I might actually scrape together the money for SS brake lines now. Past the halfway point of the lever I didn't really feel like I was getting any extra braking power.

Nah man, just buy an angle grinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSH3CmMKA6Q

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You can tell new and weekend riders from veteran riders pretty easily: New or weekend riders say that the scariest thing about riding are the other people on the road. Veteran riders will tell you without hesitation that it's actually wasps and helmet spiders.

Also that video owns. Kinda wanna carry around reverse-cut stickers that tell people to use their mirrors now. :black101:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

What the gently caress was that white knight doing? Seems like a feeble attempt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hahahahaha, that's loving hilarious.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In all fairness the biker should have seen the skylift parked ahead and not started to pass when the car was obviously going to turn left to avoid it.

Still funny though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Over the weekend I got a test ride on the new Aprilia Caponord 1200, even though I know there's no way I could have one thanks to it not fitting in my garden. Now I'm thinking about major DIY and/or moving house because gently caress me that's a hell of a bike. The semi-active suspension is basically supernatural, it made lovely back roads into butter-smooth racetracks, and combined with the ABS and traction control is basically a cheat mode.

The engine is fantastic too, and makes the gearbox almost redundant - pick a gear, any gear, and it'll just deal with it.

The only thing I can say is wrong with it is it's really ugly from the front, and the menu system is a step back from the simple "one-control-does-everything" system on the current-gen Aprilias, with some stuff doable from the handlebar but some requiring you to press buttons on the instrument panel - also the panel is a little dim. Oh and the gearbox is a bit agricultural but that's just an Aprilia thing now.

Think I'll hold off the renovations until next year though, when the Shiver 1200 is (allegedly) finally going to come out, with the same suspension and electronics package, or maybe if it's true they're going to do a full-on Futura sports-tourer.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

M42 posted:

SS lines don't add to braking power

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Just bought all my gear :)

Mostly Sweep and Marushin helmet.

2-3 long weeks before i finally get my first bike. And i mean really really really long weeks :(

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

n8r posted:

SS lines don't add to braking power

I am giving the benefit of the doubt and assume he means braking feel rather than actual stopping power. It took me a minute, because I (stupidly) didn't even think bikes came with rubber brake lines, then I remembered that not everyone rides a sport bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Braking feel, yes, my mistake. Pregen ninja 250s come with rubber ones.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ReverendCode posted:

I am giving the benefit of the doubt and assume he means braking feel rather than actual stopping power. It took me a minute, because I (stupidly) didn't even think bikes came with rubber brake lines, then I remembered that not everyone rides a sport bike.

You know almost all bikes come stock with rubber brake lines right? Even most sportbikes? Am I just misreading your post?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
ReverendCode Buell superiority hi-five!

XBs come stock with a steel braided brake line in the front, I'll admit to often being surprised when I see a sport bike with mods running rubber lines. Guess I am spoiled :)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Also, I am not sure that rubber lines give less braking feel than SS lines. SS lines provide more strength and last much longer though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Also, I am not sure that rubber lines give less braking feel than SS lines. SS lines provide more strength and last much longer though.

The rubber expands and dampens the feeling of the braking. It also is much more susceptible to brake fade.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

The rubber expands and dampens the feeling of the braking. It also is much more susceptible to brake fade.

How do they contribute to brake fade?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

M42 posted:

Braking feel, yes, my mistake. Pregen ninja 250s come with rubber ones.

Have you bled your brakes lately? Do that first before throwing on SS lines.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

http://www.cquence.net/blog/how-stainless-steel-brake-lines-improve-braking-performance/

Some details on SS vs rubber lines. :science: Maybe they do improve braking response and stopping distance. v0v

Still looking for whether SS lines perform better in carbed bikes versus EFI. :raise:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

This will prepare you for bleeding the brakes again after you install the SS lines.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

:doh: I just realized my brake fluid needs replacing, that's probably why. I'm worthless without coffee.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

:doh: I just realized my brake fluid needs replacing, that's probably why. I'm worthless without coffee.

Well, if your brake fluid is old enough it'll look and taste like coffee...

(I don't like coffee.)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Tamir Lenk posted:

http://www.cquence.net/blog/how-stainless-steel-brake-lines-improve-braking-performance/

Some details on SS vs rubber lines. :science: Maybe they do improve braking response and stopping distance. v0v

Still looking for whether SS lines perform better in carbed bikes versus EFI. :raise:

You should probably read your links before you post them. It doesn't say anything about stopping distances or fade.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

You should probably read your links before you post them. It doesn't say anything about stopping distances or fade.

I am not going to vouch for its veracity but:

http://www.cquence.net/blog/how-stainless-steel-brake-lines-improve-braking-performance/ posted:

If you are planning to upgrade your old or worn out brake lines anyway, then a stainless steel brake line upgrade might not be a bad idea if you are looking to decrease your stopping distance a bit more. Less pedal travel required to activate your brakes will decrease the amount of time for deceleration, and it may be worth it to you if you have already upgraded much of your other braking systems components.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

^^^^ efb.

The source sells brake parts, so it may not be entirely objective. etc.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Lol yes less stopping distances due to less pedal travel. Makes tons of sense - sorry I was disregarding that statement as clearly bullshit.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

n8r posted:

Lol yes less stopping distances due to less pedal travel. Makes tons of sense - sorry I was disregarding that statement as clearly bullshit.

Reaction time/pedal distance definitely plays a role. If you sit at the tree for 5 seconds at the strip, but do 200 miles an hour, a guy doing 100 that leaves immediately will still beat you.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My dad changes his bike's brake fluid by sucking out the old out of the MC with a syringe and then topping it off, says it gets most and doesn't really need bleeding; everyone ever heard of doing that?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

So if pedal (or lever) travel does not relate to brake response, what would make brakes more responsive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's a poor analogy since even before you reach full travel of the lever you're still braking. It's not a complete switch. It might not be producing full clamping force at 1/4 travel but you're still starting to brake.

High Protein posted:

My dad changes his bike's brake fluid by sucking out the old out of the MC with a syringe and then topping it off, says it gets most and doesn't really need bleeding; everyone ever heard of doing that?

There's no way he's getting it all out of the lines / calipers this way. He's effectively only removing maybe half of what's in there.