Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Also, Chelsea loving Liverpool over for the n+4th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scarfe of the week

Scarfe of the weak, more like. Look at that floating gun.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe of the week

Scarfe of the weak, more like. Look at that floating gun.

It's the invisible hand of the free market holding it! :rimshot:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that is a Riddell-esqe level of totally unnecessary labelling there

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Daily Mail:

"Luis Suarez the Liverpool football player has bitten a Chelsea opponent during a game and has been fined by the club."

quote:

“In my day top players were in bed by this time with a cup of cocoa.”
*cough*George Best*cough*

Express:

Telegraph:

Ed Miliband and the Edinburgh pandas who just don't give a gently caress.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steve Bell did it better:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on Eric Schmidt and Google.
Search engine chairman defended company's tax avoidance policies after paying just £6m in UK corporation tax.

Ughhhhhhhh all these big companies tax avoiding is driving me pretty made when at the same time the government is coming down hard on the poor, mentally ill and disabled.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Fluo posted:

Ughhhhhhhh all these big companies tax avoiding is driving me pretty made when at the same time the government is coming down hard on the poor, mentally ill and disabled.

:thejoke:

I mean if your a wealth tory that is, otherwise the jokes on you.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

vodkat posted:

:thejoke:

I mean if your a wealth tory that is, otherwise the jokes on you.

Yeah :smith: it's depressing. :(

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Fluo posted:

The people who run the big corporations are cleverer than the people who run the country.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GuestBob posted:

The people who run the big corporations are cleverer than the people who run the country.

Hey, hey. George Osborne isn't a person. :shepface: :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fluo posted:

Hey, hey. George Osborne isn't a person. :shepface: :tinfoil:
If corporations are allowed to be people, George Osborne should be afforded the same legal fiction too. :v:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Guavanaut posted:

If corporations are allowed to be people, George Osborne should be afforded the same legal fiction too. :v:

The Citizens United ruling doesn't apply here, corporations aren't people in the UK, George Osborne is not human.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

onoflalks posted:

The Citizens United ruling doesn't apply here, corporations aren't people in the UK, George Osborne is not human.
The idea of corporate personhood has been around in the UK (and Commonwealth) since at least Salomon v Salomon in 1897 (although that's considered a bad case for a number of reasons). Citizens United was more to do with corporate political donations iirc. At any rate, we should still consider George Osborne human because it's probably the only thing preventing him from literally eating the poor and flapping away to his mountain castle without fear of trial.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
George Osbourne is human; it's just his policies that are inhumane.

Guardian:

"George Osborne has poured water on Alex Salmond's plan for an independent Scotland to retain sterling as its currency."

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

"There is to be a crackdown on mediocre cosmetic cowboys who are making a fortune from bad surgery."

quote:

“Ah, You’ve finished. How does she look with the bandages off?”

Express:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Say what you like about the actual politics of it, but this is actually pretty awesome. I love the look on Nessie's face.

quote:

Express:

Yes, Wills and Kate's daughter will look like a princess, like every other baby girl ever.

I like the implication that no other member of the royal family will survive her birth though.

Edit: So many 'likes' :ohdear:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh look, a bunch of terrible opinions on Scotland. What a shock, media cartoonists.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

(For non-Brits, this refers to Abu Qatada)

Independent:

Hey, he stopped crying. :unsmith: Also a reference to the completely fake bomb detectors a British businessman sold to Iraq.

Daily Mail:

"The Court of human rights have ruled that the cleric Qatada can’t be sent back to Jordan."

quote:

“That’s it. I’m sure I saw mine twitch. The UK can’t send Qatada back to Jordan.”

Express:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 25, 2013

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Mail:

"The Court of human rights have ruled that the cleric Qatada can’t be sent back to Jordan."

Daily Mail is a bit slow on this one, the ECHR ruling on Qatada was back in January 2012. Unless they mean the decision of our own domestic courts recently?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Have you noticed that the Express cartoons are often extremely off topic sentimentalist shite. I mean the one about 'Kate's baby WILL be Queen'.. well yes. They changed the law a few months ago in case its a girl. It just reads like weird propaganda.

And the Winnie the Pooh thing too I suppose.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

BastardySkull posted:

Have you noticed that the Express cartoons are often extremely off topic sentimentalist shite. I mean the one about 'Kate's baby WILL be Queen'.. well yes. They changed the law a few months ago in case its a girl. It just reads like weird propaganda.

Nope, I only tend to look at the Express' cartoon to find the bird in it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Daily Mail is a bit slow on this one, the ECHR ruling on Qatada was back in January 2012. Unless they mean the decision of our own domestic courts recently?

We've recently made another treaty with Jordan to the effect that they'll definitely give him a fair trial. The Mail's just being a bit defeatist.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

onoflalks posted:

Nope, I only tend to look at the Express' cartoon to find the bird in it.

Little dude seems a bit surprised in this one! :spidey:

Mr. Squishy posted:

We've recently made another treaty with Jordan to the effect that they'll definitely give him a fair trial. The Mail's just being a bit defeatist.

Both our and the European courts have repeatedly ignored previous diplomatic efforts (with good reason) and this will be no different. Jordan are not exactly trustworthy regardless of how many stupid treaties they sign.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I know. But that's why it's in the news again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

BastardySkull posted:

I can feel brain cells giving up and dying every time I look at one. I could give the terrible art a pass if the setups were clever or insightful, but half the time it feels like he just wants to make some banal observation that's popped into his head, like if you gave some crayons to your average right-winger on their lunch break and said 'here, try making a cartoon'.

I sort of hope it's someone knowingly making awful cartoons and getting paid by a horrible newspaper for 5 minutes' work. Seeing how far he can push it before they realise he's taking the piss. The detailed birds always seem like a statement of integrity, completely out of place and showing actual care and precision. Like a secret symbol - yes these cartoons are intended to insult the reader's intelligence, welcome to Bird Club.

And that Torygraph cartoon is a new low I think? Let me tell you about the REAL victims of torture

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Qatada seems like a pretty unpleasant chap, but I don't really understand why he is being deported or why it's so important to deport him that we should ignore the EHRC. He hasn't been convicted of (or prosecuted for) any crime in the UK and the UK doesn't have an extradition treaty with Jordan (where he has been convicted of a serious crime). From a quick Google I guess it's under part (i) of this?

Immigration rules, Part 13 - Deportation posted:

363. The circumstances in which a person is liable to deportation include:
(i) where the Secretary of State deems the person's deportation to be conducive to the public good;
(ii) where the person is the spouse or civil partner or child under 18 of a person ordered to be deported; and
(iii) where a court recommends deportation in the case of a person over the age of 17 who has been convicted of an offence punishable with imprisonment.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
It's a question of losing face; Westminster has puffed up his reputation as Al Qaida's main man in the UK and if they back down now they'd look like even bigger idiots. Spending millions of pounds on a pointless legal case to put the blame on the EU is preferable to that!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

And that Torygraph cartoon is a new low I think? Let me tell you about the REAL victims of torture
I took it as a suggestion rather than an observation. A good cartoon.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Supreme Court posted:

It's a question of losing face; Westminster has puffed up his reputation as Al Qaida's main man in the UK and if they back down now they'd look like even bigger idiots. Spending millions of pounds on a pointless legal case to put the blame on the EU is preferable to that!
Yeah. You'd think that if he was such a bad and dangerous dude there'd be no issue with simply charging some of his clearly heinous crimes and either imprisoning or deporting him following a successful prosecution. It's not nice when you feel you ought to side with someone who has definitely expressed some severely unpleasant views and allegedly supported or organised the killing of innocent people over your country's government, but here we are.

Actually when I type it out like that I feel as though there are certain parallels between Abu Qatada and Theresa May.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The cartoon's accurate in the sense that he's become A Big Deal just because they won't stop publicly fighting a lost cause. He doesn't even need to do anything except appeal any decisions against him - the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the government and the media does the rest. The oxygen and firelighters and lighter fluid of publicity. If they'd just shut up and banned him from using the internet or whatever, nobody would even remember he existed.

Everything else about the cartoon is the direct opposite of reality though

Guavanaut posted:

I took it as a suggestion rather than an observation. A good cartoon.

Good point! I assume that's what their nightmares are about anyway (it's not like they have a conscience between them) so we may as well make their dreams a reality

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 25, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

The alternative press regulation charter.

Telegraph:

London mayor Boris Johnson's brother Jo is appointed head of the Downing Street policy unit.

Independent:

Daily Mail:

"David Cameron has promoted Jo Johnson, brother of Boris to work with him at Number 10 Downing Street."

quote:

“Testing, testing…Hi, Jo. It’s me, Boris…Coup de etat tomorrow at noon. Be ready….Over and out.”

Express:

:fuckoff:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I bet if you found Paul Thomas's house it would look just like that

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cloud Potato posted:

Daily Mail:

quote:

“Testing, testing…Hi, Jo. It’s me, Boris…Coup de etat tomorrow at noon. Be ready….Over and out.”
The Mail calling for the Government to be violently overthrown? And (mis)using filthy foreign words to call for it, no less. Strange times we're living in.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"George Osborne says Thursday's growth figures are 'an encouraging sign the economy is healing'" Aww, I was hoping we'd see him slay the triple diplodocus.

Independent

Based on Frans Hals, Young Man Holding A Skull (Vanitas)

Telegraph:

Syria accused of using chemical weapons; Winston Churchill to appear on the new £5 note, due 2016.

Bonus! Morning Star:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 27, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What's in the fur cup?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And a nice sideways reference to Churchill's "I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes" quote.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

goatface posted:

What's in the fur cup?

I'm not sure what's inside it, just that the Tories' massive fur cup runneth over.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

I'm not sure what's inside it, just that the Tories' massive fur cup runneth over.

It looks like some kind of bile or vomit with some kind of fungous growth inside the fur cup! :barf:

Stephen Collins! Dark Matter! :unsmigghh:

:ughh: Why are they doing this, this was the Tories idea right?..... I guess atleast its not Thatcher. That would have been pure madness. :ughh:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 27, 2013

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fluo posted:

:ughh: Why are they doing this, this was the Tories idea right?..... I guess atleast its not Thatcher. That would have been pure madness. :ughh:

Hey, at least they're acknowledging that Churchill also wanted to use chemical weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Hey, at least they're acknowledging that Churchill also wanted to use chemical weapons.

Yeah sorry was mainly talking about the idea of Churchill being on a £5 note and not so much about the cartoon! But Seriously, Churchill is so over rated and only remembered for "single handedly winning ww2" and everything else where he was a massive poo poo is just forgotten. Being against the NHS, being against pretty much all of Attlee's stuff. Being against Gandhi etc.

quote:

It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple lawyer of the type well-known in the East, now posing as a fakir, striding half naked up the steps of the Viceregal palace to parley on equal terms with the representative of the King-Emperor.
Comment on Gandhi's meeting with the Viceroy of India, addressing the Council of the West Essex Unionist Association (23 February 1931); as quoted in "Mr Churchill on India" in The Times (24 February 1931).

Also the quote about gasing:

quote:

I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. We have definitely adopted the position at the Peace Conference of arguing in favour of the retention of gas as a permanent method of warfare. It is sheer affectation to lacerate a man with the poisonous fragment of a bursting shell and to boggle at making his eyes water by means of lachrymatory gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes. The moral effect should be so good that the loss of life should be reduced to a minimum. It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gases: gases can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected ... We cannot, in any circumstances acquiesce to the non-utilisation of any weapons which are available to procure a speedy termination of the disorder which prevails on the frontier.

Statement as president of the Air Council, War Office Departmental Minute (1919-05-12); Churchill Papers 16/16, Churchill Archives Centre, Cambridge.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 27, 2013

• Locked thread