Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'll most likely be in that part of the world fairly soon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

QPZIL posted:

Silly outfits ITT

I see your Silly outfit, and reply with my silly outfit. I wore it for the first time last Thursday.
This is what a KT dresses like in The Great Priory of New South Wales and ACT.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

I see your Silly outfit, and reply with my silly outfit. I wore it for the first time last Thursday.
This is what a KT dresses like in The Great Priory of New South Wales and ACT.

Is that you in the picture?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Tomorrow evening I'll be taking my Mark Master degree, which I think is pretty neat. It's as far as I want to go (at this point) in York Rite, and it's been what feels like quite a few years since I was the candidate in a degree. From the sound of things there will be 6 other brothers going through it as well, members of 3 different Lodges.

I look forward to seeing what it entails.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

FreshFeesh posted:

Tomorrow evening I'll be taking my Mark Master degree, which I think is pretty neat. It's as far as I want to go (at this point) in York Rite, and it's been what feels like quite a few years since I was the candidate in a degree. From the sound of things there will be 6 other brothers going through it as well, members of 3 different Lodges.

I look forward to seeing what it entails.

Awesome, the Mark Master degree is really neat. Go into it with the mindset that it's sort of the "completion" of the Fellowcraft degree. There's a lot of cool symbolism and morality in it, I think it was my second favorite after the Royal Arch degree.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
In comparison, here is the KT regalia for Scotland -

Yes, that is me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I spoke with the Recorder of a Commandery in Minneapolis where I'm looking to move, and apparently they wear the cap & mantle too. I'm glad, I like it better.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Is that you in the picture?

Yes Lovable, that is me in all my weathered glory.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Any brothers up for a long drawn out email chain while I vent and try and salvage a blue lodge issue? PMs work as well just don't want to suck anyone in with out full disclosure.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I had my interview last night and it went well. Should be reported back for the May meeting and might get initiated in June before lodge goes dark.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Some Zero posted:

Any brothers up for a long drawn out email chain while I vent and try and salvage a blue lodge issue? PMs work as well just don't want to suck anyone in with out full disclosure.

Sure, hit me up with a pm or email if you prefer, username at gmail.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

stubblyhead posted:

Copy me on that, I'll add my two cents. ianblake at Gmail.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Some Zero posted:

I have no problem listening, and weighing in. PMs if you don't mind, please.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

stubblyhead posted:

Same email thing here, I will listen and advise if needed.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Some Zero posted:

PM or guitarzan212 @ gmail works for me too.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I've been considering joining for years and since I have the free time to get started right now I'd like to join a lodge. My uncle and grandfather are/were in the Knights of Columbus, but I'm not a practicing Catholic and don't intend to change that any time soon. I recently moved down here and it'd also be nice to get to know some more people.

I don't know why, but there are a lot of lodges in Greenville, SC http://goo.gl/maps/QIiSA

Why so many lodges? And what would be the easiest way to find out how they are different? Eat a lot of spaghetti? What are some of the things that would make a lodge more progressive vs conservative?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Shyfted One posted:

I've been considering joining for years and since I have the free time to get started right now I'd like to join a lodge. My uncle and grandfather are/were in the Knights of Columbus, but I'm not a practicing Catholic and don't intend to change that any time soon. I recently moved down here and it'd also be nice to get to know some more people.

I don't know why, but there are a lot of lodges in Greenville, SC http://goo.gl/maps/QIiSA

Why so many lodges? And what would be the easiest way to find out how they are different? Eat a lot of spaghetti? What are some of the things that would make a lodge more progressive vs conservative?

The best way to find out is visit all of them, talk to the members, and see what lodge fits you best. Eat a lot of food, meet a lot of people, smoke some cigars, and make some friends in the process. We are good people, we don't bite, and we may or may not have dirty jokes.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've just returned from a great sojourn with some of the guys from my lodge to meet brethren we've got a bit of a rapport with in Northern Ireland, mainly Services Lodge #174 under the Irish Constitution and St Patrick #77, as well as a side trip to the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin. It was a great weekend, and the Grand Lodge of Ireland was absolutely magnificent. Pictures etc should be forthcoming soonish.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Innerguard posted:

I've just returned from a great sojourn with some of the guys from my lodge to meet brethren we've got a bit of a rapport with in Northern Ireland, mainly Services Lodge #174 under the Irish Constitution and St Patrick #77, as well as a side trip to the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin. It was a great weekend, and the Grand Lodge of Ireland was absolutely magnificent. Pictures etc should be forthcoming soonish.

That sounds like a great trip, looking forward to the photos.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In Knight Templar news,
The Great Priory of England was all set to remove recognition of the Grand Encampment of the US last month, and even had a preliminary vote that passed. Today I read that they changed their minds. Neat.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It's been half a year or so since I was made an EAM. Is it a bad idea to wait until the same day I was initiated to get passed, and another year to be raised? Everyone says it's a loooong time, I don't mind the wait, though.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Are you ready and willing to be passed to the degree of Fellowcraft? If so, go for it. Some people get their degrees in the spam of a few months, some (in select jurisdictions) all in the same day, and some wait years to progress.

Just because you are advanced to a new degree doesn't mean you can't study the lessons or symbols presented in the former body of work.

I advise the men of my Lodge to advance at a speed they feel comfortable with, no matter how "slow," so long as they are working toward that advancement, and/or deeper understanding.

On the other hand, significant dates are cool.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FreshFeesh posted:

Are you ready and willing to be passed to the degree of Fellowcraft? If so, go for it. Some people get their degrees in the spam of a few months, some (in select jurisdictions) all in the same day, and some wait years to progress.

Just because you are advanced to a new degree doesn't mean you can't study the lessons or symbols presented in the former body of work.

I advise the men of my Lodge to advance at a speed they feel comfortable with, no matter how "slow," so long as they are working toward that advancement, and/or deeper understanding.

On the other hand, significant dates are cool.

Not yet ready. Have 1/2 of the posting lecture down. I'm taking my drat sweet time, and it wasn't a significant date until I was initiated.

But if I forget a line in the lecture, I'll never hear the end of it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I assure you that there has never been a person in history (Grand Lecturers certainly included) who has given every proficiency/lecture/ritual perfectly.

I will admit I still rib a few guys about some memorable mistakes in the past, but it's light-hearted and fun, and they do the same to me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
During last week's EA degree, the candidate was told that ancient masons wore their aprons a certain way to keep from "soiling themselves".

That's a minor word difference that changes the whole meaning.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

During last week's EA degree, the candidate was told that ancient masons wore their aprons a certain way to keep from "soiling themselves".

This is incredible. Somehow this slip-up has never crossed my mind as a possibility before. Great, now I'm going to be chuckling (currently JD, so geographically, I'll have a front row seat!) every time this part comes up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Last week we initiated a guy. It's all solemn, he's there at the altar, and after all the solemnity, he's ordered to arise. The conductor tugs at his hand to get him to stand up, and he proceed to confusedly stand up and start climbing up onto the altar.

Queue about 5 guys going, "n-n-no no NO...!"

Ahhh, fun in the lodge.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

QPZIL posted:

Last week we initiated a guy. It's all solemn, he's there at the altar, and after all the solemnity, he's ordered to arise. The conductor tugs at his hand to get him to stand up, and he proceed to confusedly stand up and start climbing up onto the altar.

Queue about 5 guys going, "n-n-no no NO...!"

Ahhh, fun in the lodge.

Holy crap, if he stays active no one will ever let him live that down.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Not yet ready. Have 1/2 of the posting lecture down. I'm taking my drat sweet time, and it wasn't a significant date until I was initiated.

But if I forget a line in the lecture, I'll never hear the end of it.

Whenever you're ready go for it. Your desire to get everything letter perfect is admirable, but it's not absolutely necessary at this stage. If your lodge is anything like mine when guys prove up then you'll do your thing and we'll just kind of agree informally "yeah that's pretty close, let's schedule your next degree" or "needs some work, try again next month." Never judgmental, always supportive and helpful.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Innerguard posted:

In comparison, here is the KT regalia for Scotland -

Yes, that is me.

Wow! Surprised nothing in this photo is classified. Thanks for sharing... I feel like I'm seeing something I'm not supposed to see.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Wow! Surprised nothing in this photo is classified. Thanks for sharing... I feel like I'm seeing something I'm not supposed to see.

Nah, generally speaking, seeing inside the lodge/chapter/council/whatever is no problem. It's the modes of recognition (words, signs, grips, tokens, etc.) and words of the rituals/obligations that are secret.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Nah, as QPZIL mentioned only a few things are secret-secret. That was taken after closing, too. Our lodge (and a couple others) in the province had an 'open day' last year, where we set everything up and invited in the public to answer questions and show them we're not the weird, chanting crazies that tin-foil folks paint us as. We got a lot of foot traffic which was great - mostly curious people, as I would have expected.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Yeah, the only things that are secret are those which can be used to identify other masons. Oaths, handshakes, specific words, phrases, etc. Except in Washington where everything is secret.

So I'm not sure what I can say, really.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Except in Washington where everything is secret.

This is incorrect.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

stubblyhead posted:

This is incorrect.

More of a callback to something WaffleDong said when I was first initiated.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The only secret is what exactly we keep secret :tinfoil:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

The only secret is what exactly we keep secret :tinfoil:

No kidding. That trips me up more than anything else.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lovable Luciferian posted:

No kidding. That trips me up more than anything else.

I'm pretty open with 90% of Masonic things. Obviously the ritual work and modes of recognition are sacred secrets, but generalities are all good in my opinion. I'll reiterate what an ancient old brother told me:

"The real secret of Freemasonry isn't the grips or the words or anything, the real secret of Freemasonry is in going through the degrees. Sure, you could tell someone how to do a grip or what a word may be, and people have, but how are you going to tell your wife or friend exactly what you felt that night you were initiated? Or that night you were raised? There's no way to do it."

So if I tell someone what the working tools are or what the H.'.A.'. story is all about, it's not going to hurt the fraternity and at the same time it's not going to enlighten them at all.

In other news, I've been sort of put in charge of Masonic education at my York Rite meeting last night :stare:

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

QPZIL posted:

In other news, I've been sort of put in charge of Masonic education at my York Rite meeting last night :stare:

Congrats.....

By the way, I see the little dots thingy everywhere and after a decade of masonry, I've still yet to figure out what they actually mean...

.'. they remind me of the galaga ship. .'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Congrats.....

By the way, I see the little dots thingy everywhere and after a decade of masonry, I've still yet to figure out what they actually mean...

.'. they remind me of the galaga ship. .'.

I think it's primarily used in the Scottish Rite, but it's just a fancied-up way of writing a dot in an abbreviation. You know, everything's gotta be in threes and all.