Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

All the options are at their defaults.

I believe what Gentoo meant was, what other renderer options are there. It should be the software renderer, and a few other OpenGL setups that don't really mean anything on modern hardware. This would have to be the retail version, Steam doesn't even have any renderer options.

Can you play the game in software? It's not pretty, but if it runs, it's better than not being able to play the game at all, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

All the options are at their defaults.

Download this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11888182/sin_1_steam_buffer_overrun_fix.zip

Drop ref_gl.dll into the same directory as sin.exe, then it should start up fine.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

Download this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11888182/sin_1_steam_buffer_overrun_fix.zip

Drop ref_gl.dll into the same directory as sin.exe, then it should start up fine.

This fixed it. Thanks, man! If anyone collects a Sin post for the OP, this should probably go in it.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Buff Skeleton posted:

If you have any questions at all about content or running Unreal/UT, feel free to ask me! I've been playing and developing on that engine for the better part of the last 14 years, no joke.
I've always liked the original gun sounds in Unreal better than the UT99/patched Unreal sounds. How do I get the benefits of the patch while keeping the original sounds?

I tried copying the \Sounds\ folder but it didn't work. :saddowns:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ayin posted:

I've always liked the original gun sounds in Unreal better than the UT99/patched Unreal sounds. How do I get the benefits of the patch while keeping the original sounds?

I tried copying the \Sounds\ folder but it didn't work. :saddowns:

I actually made an Oldskool-compatible mutator for that if you're trying to use them in singleplayer via Oldskool Amp'd.

If you just want to use the Unreal weapons in UT botmatches but with the original sounds, there's another mutator included which does that too. You just need to have Oldskool installed for it to work.

Here's a couple of DL links:

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1Ci9ctqIuSZVS04cHZrcmdHWXM
http://www.mediafire.com/?kekaf3n8upn8zyc

And here's a download for Oldskool Amp'd if you don't have it:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B1Ci9ctqIuSZWkdYaXRjNnVIVGM
http://www.mediafire.com/?gq1sazei5c1wbha

Let me know if you run into any issues. I mostly just used this mutator for running singleplayer Unreal maps via Oldskool with the original sounds. It's pretty hacky, but it works.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 22, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've said this before, but if you're interested in playing Unreal 1, I highly recommend installing the 227i patch before you start. It's a fan-made patch based on the game's source code and is very useful. It fixes a ton of bugs, makes it easy to join any server out there (if you tried joining a server with the U1 included with Unreal Gold, you'd most likely error out before joining), has an updated editor that is less crash-prone and works on and comes packed with nice DX9 and OpenGl renderers. I used it for my recent U1 replay, and it worked perfectly. It's basically the ultimate version of U1.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Chinook posted:

Descent (with the DXX Rebirth engine)

Just wanted to chime in from the last-page discussion. DXX-Rebirth is really the best source port for Descent, IMHO. I spent most of the weekend trying to compare Rebirth with D2X-XL, and it came down to two points:

1.) D2X-XL is prettier.
2.) DXX-Rebirth actually works.

I had more problems and issues following the godawful instructions and setup with D2X-XL than I'd like to think about. Rebirth "just works", like Zdoom/Zandronum "just works". Throw your PIG/HOG files in the executable directory and off you go. D2X-XL crashes when you don't set your lightmapping settings "just right", the sound distorts to nothing when there's too many explosions going on, the forums support is spotty... it wasn't a fun endeavor for what boils down to some graphical enhancements.

Rebirth enhances very little (other than high resolution, trilinear filtering and anti-aliasing... and TCP/IP play, of course), but at least it's stable.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 22, 2013

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Ayin posted:

I've always liked the original gun sounds in Unreal better than the UT99/patched Unreal sounds.

This is probably the nerdiest thing to focus on, but I agree. It's kind of interesting how the sound design of Unreal has kind of been...falling.

The guns in Unreal were all holy poo poo beefy, lots of bangs and whizzes and so much bass it wasn't even funny. Then there was Unreal Tournment, which was pretty badass, not too bad, but the original Unreal is better.
Then you get to Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, and...it...I can't even describe it. You bundle up the rockets of the Eightball Gun and compare it to the triple rockets in UT2k4 and...it's like getting an inverse boner every time the Rocket Launcher's plaintiff little "Boom" comes out. The Eightball Gun sounds like loving armageddon, the Rocket Launcher sounds like throwing a batch of wet kittens.

Unreal 2's was good, but that doesn't count. :v:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is probably the nerdiest thing to focus on, but I agree. It's kind of interesting how the sound design of Unreal has kind of been...falling.

The guns in Unreal were all holy poo poo beefy, lots of bangs and whizzes and so much bass it wasn't even funny. Then there was Unreal Tournment, which was pretty badass, not too bad, but the original Unreal is better.
Then you get to Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, and...it...I can't even describe it. You bundle up the rockets of the Eightball Gun and compare it to the triple rockets in UT2k4 and...it's like getting an inverse boner every time the Rocket Launcher's plaintiff little "Boom" comes out. The Eightball Gun sounds like loving armageddon, the Rocket Launcher sounds like throwing a batch of wet kittens.

Unreal 2's was good, but that doesn't count. :v:

Agree 100%. Fortunately, UT3's guns were pretty awesome, probably the best of the series unmodded. However, UT3 itself was less than great, and I still vastly prefer the original UT. I never even gave UT2k4 a chance, but it was far too stupid for me - horrible art direction and dubious mechanics I didn't want in a UT game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If you mean for "never game a chance", not to play a single minute of it, then you're missing out a great game. It felt different from the original UT but it has its own strenghts. UT 2k4 still has the best team based modes in the series in my opinion.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yep. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who actually didn't like UT2k4. The game was fantastic.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I absolutely love UT2K4 -- it's my go-to botmatching game. I'll concede that the sound design for it is overall pretty weak (especially the starting rifles, which have all the ferocity of a babbling brook) but the gameplay is fantastic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

If you mean for "never game a chance", not to play a single minute of it, then you're missing out a great game. It felt different from the original UT but it has its own strenghts. UT 2k4 still has the best team based modes in the series in my opinion.

Yeah, UT 2k4 is up there with Halo and Tribes for amazing team-based vehicular shooters.

You had, what, Onslaught, Assault, Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, I'm probaby forgetting tons of modes.

That game had it all.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Naw, I played it for a good few days, enough to get acclimated to most of the gameplay, but this was after I'd already spent years and years playing UT and a couple more years playing UT3. It just never did it for me like the others do. I was also really disappointed in Invasion, which I had heard so much good stuff about. I guess I'm just picky since I make my own stuff for UT. :) Set in my ways!

Back on the topic of old games, I started a new game of Descent 1 this weekend on Insane because I'm crazy, only this time I made a rule for myself that I'd never allow myself to die; if I did, I'd reload a save from the start of the level. That means no ignoring all the shield powerups until the level is clear so I could die, respawn, then exit the map with maximum shield for a huge bonus. HOLY poo poo, DESCENT ON INSANE IS HARD AS gently caress IF YOU DON'T USE YOUR EXTRA LIVES.

Also, last time I played Descent 1 on Insane, it was via Descent II with D2X-w32, which basically ran D1 as a D2 mod. What I didn't realize is that originally, D1 robot generators eventually shut off on Insane like they do on other difficulty levels, while in D2, they will never permanently shut down on Insane. This made D1 A LOT harder in some places, but I've found it's a double-edged sword now. There's one place in I think the fourth map where two robot generators are right next to each other, and I used to farm them for shields. Now, though, they will stop spawning once they've gone through three spawn cycles, so you can't just farm them all you like. Makes some places easier, but some a lot harder.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For some reason, I feel like UT99's Bots are a lot harder than UT2k4's. It's especially apparent on UT99 "Domination" maps, where the AI seems to put up a serious fight. By comparison, UT2k4's "Double Domination" AI more or less maintains a status quo, with the player being the stalemate breaker. Maybe it's because UT99's AI has a much shorter response time/accuracy than UT2k4? Regardless, I sort of wish that I got the same challenge out of UT2k4 that I did from UT99. They're both really great games, though.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Are UT bots generally considered the best all-around bots? I have a friend who's got a really strong Deathmatch itch he wants scratched, and I want to find us a game with some decent bots to fill in the rest of the slots.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

misterdoo01 posted:

Are UT bots generally considered the best all-around bots? I have a friend who's got a really strong Deathmatch itch he wants scratched, and I want to find us a game with some decent bots to fill in the rest of the slots.

From personal experience, I would say so. They've highly configurable, and not just because they possess 8 difficulty settings, but because you can also hand-build personalities for them (including setting values for jumpiness, accuracy, aggression, awareness, favorite weapon, etc.) They play convincingly well--especially on maps that are well-built (re: those that have proper "bot pathing" and nodes)--and are capable of following player-issued commands and exercising dominance over power-ups and hot spots. Suffice to say, these aren't the sort of bots that tend to get hung up in corners and destroyed by mediocre players.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

From personal experience, I would say so. They've highly configurable, and not just because they possess 8 difficulty settings, but because you can also hand-build personalities for them (including setting values for jumpiness, accuracy, aggression, awareness, favorite weapon, etc.) They play convincingly well--especially on maps that are well-built (re: those that have proper "bot pathing" and nodes)--and are capable of following player-issued commands and exercising dominance over power-ups and hot spots. Suffice to say, these aren't the sort of bots that tend to get hung up in corners and destroyed by mediocre players.

Awesome. I already own all of the Unreal games on Steam, so I'l grab the Unreal pack when it goes on sale for my friend. Which UT game is considered to have a best (read: dumbest) custom content?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That reminds me, custom bots were about the only good thing in Red Faction 2. The more you played with them, they'd level up and you could make them better. A friend and I eventually got one bot to such a ludicrous pedigree that he discovered a penchant for strafing past open doorways and scoring headshots with the sniper rifle and rail driver no matter if you were jumping, crouching, in the middle of another firefight, whatever. Squall didn't care.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chinook posted:

I just got Descent (with the DXX Rebirth engine) going today, and it's really fun. I used my 360 controller, and finally got the controls working nicely.

Because the program only recognizes the Right and Left trigger as axes (and I guess they ARE), you can't use them to fire. So I set those to throttle controls, and that works okay. I have RB set to primary fire, which can be annoying if you want to fire and accelerate at the same time, but I just use my middle and index finger up there, and it's good.

I gave DXX Rebirth a spin with a 360 pad and it was remarkably easy to pick up. I don't think it's ideal, but I hate the crappy mouse support so much that it still feels better anyway. The big issue I ran into though was that in Descent 2, there are 22 different weapons, and swapping between them with the pad is just no fun. I'm trying out another dumb control scheme right now, which is 360 pad in my right hand, keyboard in my left. It's working pretty well honestly. :I

What would probably be ideal is if you could get one of those keypads for the 360 controller to work.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

misterdoo01 posted:

Awesome. I already own all of the Unreal games on Steam, so I'l grab the Unreal pack when it goes on sale for my friend. Which UT game is considered to have a best (read: dumbest) custom content?

UT2K4 has Ballistic Weapons which should keep you busy for at least a few days.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The "Ballistic Weapons" mod suite puts the gunplay in most modern FPS's to shame. First, you've got the fantastic animations, which help breathe life into every weapon. Whether you're yanking back on a slide or dropping a shell into a chamber, the weapons feel weighty and tangible. You can also have it so that they interact with the environment, which is still pretty uncommon in games. If a rifle barrel is too long and your face is against the wall, your weapon will adjust to account for the fact--even affecting where you shoot.

There's a significant depth to each weapon, too: Most of them have primary fire modes, alternate fire modes, fire selectors...and some even have additional environmental interactions and reloading quirks. There's a weapon that basically acts like an electric flamethrower, but you'll get injured from exposing yourself to water while you use it. If an opponent is using an ordinary flamethrower, you can shoot the tank on their back, turning it into an improvised jetpack and launching them off into the sky, where they burst into gibs. A lot of energy weapons can overheat, forcing you to open them up in order to rapidly cool them. Some weapons even interact with each other. For example, there are two bizarre energy staves that can create a permanent black hole if they are used against each other.

There's a ridiculous variety, as well, with pretty much everything imaginable being covered: Rambo knives, nano-swords, energy pistols, sawed-off shotguns and pump-actions with tasers attached to them, heavy mortars, chemical grenades, alien tech, mini-rocket-machine-guns, heat-sensitive laser rifles...the list is virtually endless. On top of that, a lot of weapons can be dual-wielded, even going so far as to allow you to mix-and-match one-handed weapons to fit whatever job you want. If you have all of the mods installed (including some of the more professional fan packs) there are probably 120-140 weapons available.

Finally, everything is adjustable, and there are a ton of game-modes incorporated into the mod. You can just replace UT2k4 weapons, or set up a Counter-Strike-style system, or a progression-based "gun game". You can adjust global damage values so the weapons are soft and nerfy, or jack up the settings so that an emplaced minigun with incendiary rounds absolutely dominates chokepoints. It's a goddamned crazy series of mods and if you have UT2k4 installed but you don't have Ballistic Weapons, you're wrong.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 23, 2013

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That whole post

:stare:

Well, I know what I'm downloading! I assume the mod is bot friendly, correct? I'm also gonna DL UT99 while I'm at it.

EDIT: Wow, it's still being updated too! That's awesome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

misterdoo01 posted:

:stare:

Well, I know what I'm downloading! I assume the mod is bot friendly, correct? I'm also gonna DL UT99 while I'm at it.

Yeah, it's bot friendly. As you're probably learning, there are quite a few expansions--both official and unofficial--for the "Ballistic Weapons" base. If (or when) you install several of these, it will probably take a while to get used to the sheer variety of control panels, game modes, and mutators at your disposal. It'll be overwhelming, at first, but once you get a grip on your options, it'll probably become one of your favorite UT2k4 mods.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I just downloaded that - do I dump it into the UT2k folder? It's been a while since I messed with Unreal mods.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just downloaded that - do I dump it into the UT2k folder? It's been a while since I messed with Unreal mods.

It's been a while since I actually installed a UT2k4 mod, but generally, yeah, that's how it should work. Make sure that .u and .ucl files go in the system subfolder, .utx go in the textures subfolder, .uax go in the sounds subfolder, etc. Hopefully there's a readme included in the download that can explain any peculiar installation instructions (I don't recall any for the Ballistic Weapon mods).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For some reason, I feel like UT99's Bots are a lot harder than UT2k4's. It's especially apparent on UT99 "Domination" maps, where the AI seems to put up a serious fight. By comparison, UT2k4's "Double Domination" AI more or less maintains a status quo, with the player being the stalemate breaker. Maybe it's because UT99's AI has a much shorter response time/accuracy than UT2k4? Regardless, I sort of wish that I got the same challenge out of UT2k4 that I did from UT99. They're both really great games, though.

UT99's bots in a general seem a lot smarter than UT2k4's. The 99 bots do pretty well at completing objectives if there's decent pathing. In UT2k4, teammate AI is dumb as poo poo and constantly need you to bail them out of even the smallest situations. Sometimes, its a crapshoot if they'll even get to the objective in the first place. On the other hand, the team enemy AI is very good and will constantly walk all over your dumb-rear end buddies with little effort. :v:

quote:

The only DM game I play anymore is UT99 with bots. They're pretty smart, are fun to fight against and they play well with popular mutators. They're a lot different from say, your average HL1 bot, which is extremely stupid. Honestly, I prefer playing with them than going online.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Man, I'm pretty pumped to see just how much content there is for these two games. Actually, I'm really happy that these "old school" FPS games are still getting so much love from their respective communities after so many years. Gives me more of an excuse to be frugal with my money. I just wish I could actually host these games of my college network. :smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

kirbysuperstar posted:

That reminds me, custom bots were about the only good thing in Red Faction 2. The more you played with them, they'd level up and you could make them better. A friend and I eventually got one bot to such a ludicrous pedigree that he discovered a penchant for strafing past open doorways and scoring headshots with the sniper rifle and rail driver no matter if you were jumping, crouching, in the middle of another firefight, whatever. Squall didn't care.

Wow I had no idea this was a thing. Was this PC only? I remember renting Red Faction 2 for the PS2, beating it in one sitting and being absolutely disgusted and returning it. :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They may not have been the most advanced bots ever, but I do want to say I think its super cool that Quake3 bots don't require a navmesh or waypoints to navigate a level, you just drop them in the map and it calculates the playable space automatically. That's pretty cool.

Also I liked how they'd trash talk you in the chat, even if it was repetitive and silly.

That 2k4 mod looks pretty sweet, somehow I've never played it before. I'll check it out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The original Unreal bot code was written by Stephen Poeser(?). He was responsible for the infamous Quake 1 Reaper bots.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The "Ballistic Weapons" mod

I just went to moddb and seems that there are tons of files to download, wich one is the correct (or at least base) one?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Unreal bot code was written by Stephen Poeser(?). He was responsible for the infamous Quake 1 Reaper bots.

Steve Polge.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

Steve Polge.

Thank you! I knew it was a Steve Po... but was too lazy to look it up. :hurr:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I just went to moddb and seems that there are tons of files to download, wich one is the correct (or at least base) one?

I believe the current base file is version 2.5 "complete", on the Moddb downloads page. That's a good place to start, because pretty much every other pack and unofficial expansion is built off of that base...I think.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That file is only 8mb while an outdated 9.2 (UMOD) is 109mb. There are tons of files and isn't clear at all wich one is the correct.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

That file is only 8mb while an outdated 9.2 (UMOD) is 109mb. There are tons of files and isn't clear at all wich one is the correct.

No it isn't? Ballistic Weapons V2.5 Complete is a 256.23 MB file. I'm looking at the D/L page for it right now: here.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey thread, a year or two ago I played a quake map which had portals to like 30 other user made maps on it - anyone know what this is?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Wow I had no idea this was a thing. Was this PC only? I remember renting Red Faction 2 for the PS2, beating it in one sitting and being absolutely disgusted and returning it. :saddowns:

No, both the PS2 and Xbox versions had it and I'm sure the Gamecube one did too. I still can't loving believe the PC port only had loving botmatches and no ACTUAL multiplayer, though. Meanwhile there are still RF1 servers active :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

field balm posted:

Hey thread, a year or two ago I played a quake map which had portals to like 30 other user made maps on it - anyone know what this is?

Something like this? http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/single-player/6574-undergate-re-release.html