Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blistex posted:

Hahahaha! Oh my god! Borg, timetravel. . . please tell me the comics were 99% Data shenanigans to complete the trifecta.

They fanwanked the Data/B4 plot thread into completion and the end result was a Data who was a huge loving dick to Picard for no loving reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

So Glorious. . . should have sent a poet.

It's like a Vulcan just sat down in Data's office, told him how much he sucks, and how he will never be a real boy, and then Data walks off to contemplate suicide.

Is this pretty typical of Star Trek literature? (over-the-top pandering to the greasiest and nerdiest of fans) The only experience I have with it is getting a copy of "Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" for Christmas when I was a kid (kicked rear end), and reading a novel where the crew of the Enterprise D are taken over by Romulans and explore a hollow planet. I was probably 11 or 12 so I don't remember how good/bad it was.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 23, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Indeed. I'm searching for images and Data is Captain of the Enterprise. Imagine being second in command to that guy. Immortal robot is never going to get rid of his chair. And imagine if he's promoted to Admiral or President of the Federation/Starfleet or something. Would be kind of cool to have a machine run operations as long as there's comedy.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Styles Bitchley posted:

Having trouble discerning sarcasm ITT.

The one thing I disliked most about ST09 was the weak villain element. With few exception I almost cringed everytime Bana spoke in the movie.

Also, seriously couldn't they have thought of a better name? Almost as bad as Klingon General Chang. Maybe Star Trek 2.2 will introduce us to Cardassian aggression, personified by the ruthless Gul Chavez.

What's wrong with "Nero"? The real Nero was an rear end in a top hat, and Romulans are just a bunch of Roman jerks anyway. It's not like Star Trek is subtle about it (or anything).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Complain about a dude named Nero all you want, he comes from the planet Romulus whose sibling world is Remus. They have a Senate and Praetors and are an Empire whose iconography is an aquila.

Even within Earth languages totally unrelated to one another, sometimes the same name appears at random. It's a thing which does happen. Even Spock is an Earth name!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Gatts posted:

Indeed. I'm searching for images and Data is Captain of the Enterprise. Imagine being second in command to that guy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Will he start disagreeing with the first officer and create a fight to simulate professional disagreements in an endeavor to be more human? Will Spot be allowed on the bridge with a litterbox in the corner?

Kidding, kidding. Data's my favorite ST character.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Rhyno posted:

This is true but the comics are still very bad.

The Countdown Comics had a lot of fanwank that padded out some of the more detail-oriented segments like the tattoos, Nero taking over the remains of the Romulan Senate, and his relationship with the Narada. But, other than that, a lot of meh. Doesn't Worf die like Robau?

The Ongoing comics and the Countdown to Darkness series, however, are pretty good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looking to buy tickets, all I can find for opening weekend are IMAX 3D, RPX + RealD 3D and regular RealD 3D. I don't want to watch a post-converted film. :smith:

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Josh Lyman posted:

Looking to buy tickets, all I can find for opening weekend are IMAX 3D, RPX + RealD 3D and regular RealD 3D. I don't want to watch a post-converted film. :smith:

I'm going to bite the bullet and see it in 3D at the premiere the in 2D the inevitable 4 or 5 other times.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Josh Lyman posted:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

For fucks' sake, apparently the non-Imax 3D version isn't even scheduled to play in my city yet. I hate 3D films. :sigh:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

For fucks' sake, apparently the non-Imax 3D version isn't even scheduled to play in my city yet. I hate 3D films. :sigh:

The same thing's happening on this side of the Tasman Sea too :gonk:

Just like Great_Gerbil, I'll just have to chance 3D on the premiere. I don't mind the effects, I just hope it's well-lit.

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 23, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Just as well. I need sun glasses for all those lens flares.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't know if this is a problem everywhere, but around here, all the IMAX theaters only have like 2 good seats. Otherwise you're stuck with a kink in your neck, or you can't see the whole screen at once. I'd much rather see it on a regular sized screen.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oops, wrong thread.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 23, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I don't know if this is a problem everywhere, but around here, all the IMAX theaters only have like 2 good seats. Otherwise you're stuck with a kink in your neck, or you can't see the whole screen at once. I'd much rather see it on a regular sized screen.

So long as I'm centered and reasonably far back, Imax is fine. All the Nolan Batman films were great on Imax, that extra screen space really sucks you in, and 300 was amazing on that screen, too. 3D is usually the thing which drains my willingness to go see a film. I saw Retaliation recently, and I don't know why they bothered with 3D on that. There's one shot (one shot) where the effect works, and that was it. Most of the time, they don't push the effect far enough or use it well, so I sit there for two hours with uncomfortable goggles on and not feeling any additional depth.

The exception was Dredd. More of that, please.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Well I'm avoiding r/startrek like a plaque now, more and more posts about movie synopsis's keep appearing and I don't want to ruin it for myself.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I won't post them here, but full spoilers from the film do appear to be online for those who care to Google.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

I won't post them here, but full spoilers from the film do appear to be online for those who care to Google.

And they are awesome! :iamafag:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Barry Convex posted:

I'm so conflicted... I don't know if I want to read them or not.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I feel spoiled enough just watching the trailers TBH.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I want to read them, but sadly, my google skills are lacking today

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Let me guess, it is a fun ride.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I always do; lets me relax, enjoy the visuals and not worry about trying to figure it out. You'll also probably like the movie more if you know everything going in.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I've gone out of my way to avoid the latest trailer, I think I can hold off... Plus, I'll probably get accidentally spoiled at some point between now and release anyway...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Here they are if anyone wants them:

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/04/star-trek-into-darkness-premiered-in-sydney-the-truth-is-here-spoilers/

It's basically everything this thread assumed.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Welp, that does it for me, I guess. See you all in three weeks.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hahahaha, that ending sounds like it owns.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Meh, whatever. I have low expectations and involvement for this so I'll read the spoilers.

EDIT: Hahahaha, whatever, man.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 23, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That doesn't seem terrible, honestly. I mean Cumberbatch being literally Khan is kind of a downer but the rest of it sounds pretty cool.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

:psyduck:

I'm outta here.

edit: I cracked. Ugh. That sounds awful.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 23, 2013

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Agreed, I don't trust my willpower enough to stay.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
The guy everyone is citing seems extremely angry about it. Every other review I've read says it's a good movie. So, I dunno.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Jack posted:

:psyduck:

I'm outta here.

edit: I cracked. Ugh. That sounds awful.

Spoiler Image!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope in the third one Kirk is now augmented to the point he is like a superhero. Like bounding buildings and bending warp cores and stuff. And also a blood sucking vampire. Possibly a daywalker. Trek can explore horror.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I don't want to read all of the spoilers but I really want to know (visual question) what they decided to do for Klingon makeup in this one.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I had pretty low expectations and based on those spoilers, they weren't low enough.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Holy poo poo, Into Darkness is a movie version of an insane TOS episode

I'm pumped as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm hoping that's an elaborate troll to piss off all the fanboys. I admit it got me pretty riled up, so it's working if so. Goddamn does that ending sound stupid. And I love all things Trek.

Except Threshold. And Nemesis.

• Locked thread