Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Thank you for the help. In Soul Hackers, I keep talking to demons but they refuse to join if Lugh is with me. Is that something I can turn off with the hack or just an inevitability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Aerofallosov posted:

Thank you for the help. In Soul Hackers, I keep talking to demons but they refuse to join if Lugh is with me. Is that something I can turn off with the hack or just an inevitability?

Lugh's alignment is creating a conflict. Put him back in your COMP and try again.
(Turning the alignment hack on will let you summon both Lugh and that demon into the same party though)

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Just got out of the haunted mansion.... God drat that place was irritating. Kind of burnt me out on Soul Hackers, it wasn't even hard, just obnoxious

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The 50K coin sword definitely trivializes things, but honestly I'm ok with it. I had forgotten how in the early SMT games the demons were more for backup and support, outside of occasional spell diversity or things like Divine Intervention. I dont mind powering through Soul Hackers so I could possibly go back and finish EO4 before SMT4 comes out.

It makes me appreciate modern SMT where you live or die based on the company you create and keep, though.

Also, fusion search. Holy poo poo yes make this a SMT mainstay thanks

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Camaro83 posted:

I've been enjoying the hell out of Etrian Odessey over the past week and am in a dungeon crawler mood right now. Is Soul Hackers ok? It would be my first Megaten game (I plan on playing Nocture at some point soon). Is that an ok game to start the series with? The dungeon crawler aspect is what is drawing me to it.

You may find it too easy, but maybe not. It's still HARDCORE enough, but I would probably recommend Strange Journey first if you want to be exposed to how difficult the franchise can be. Be prepared for the torrent of people about to disagree with me though (SJ is love it or hate it here).

Dec 26, 2012

vanov posted:

You may find it too easy, but maybe not. It's still HARDCORE enough, but I would probably recommend Strange Journey first if you want to be exposed to how difficult the franchise can be. Be prepared for the torrent of people about to disagree with me though (SJ is love it or hate it here).

The dungeons themselves were far nastier than the encounters in SJ, and I didn't really have a problem with any boss except for the very last (which was a very big wakeup call comparatively). Maybe I just got lucky.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Just finished up the Art Museum, stupid puzzle dungeons. Was tempted to go for the physical kill against the dolphin, but he wiped two of my demons early and I had to play defense and summon with the MC, so I ended up just throwing Zios at it for a few turns. I can't say I was expecting it to just up and immediately die, but it was a funny gimmick at least.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That bit with the guys who talk backwards was pretty great, even with the boss.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tortolia posted:

The 50K coin sword definitely trivializes things, but honestly I'm ok with it. I had forgotten how in the early SMT games the demons were more for backup and support, outside of occasional spell diversity or things like Divine Intervention. I dont mind powering through Soul Hackers so I could possibly go back and finish EO4 before SMT4 comes out.

It makes me appreciate modern SMT where you live or die based on the company you create and keep, though.

Also, fusion search. Holy poo poo yes make this a SMT mainstay thanks
I'm sure fusion search is here to stay after Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Persona 4 Golden, and Soul Hackers. I don't even know if Soul Hackers was developed after P4G but whatever.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I'm sure fusion search is here to stay after Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Persona 4 Golden, and Soul Hackers. I don't even know if Soul Hackers was developed after P4G but whatever.

The original Soul Hackers had fusion search, oddly enough. I don't know why they left it out of Nocturne et al.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

SMT4's fusion search menu looks a bit complicated. I appreciate the options (you can specify which demons you want to include and exclude as possible components and only search for possible results that have specific stats), but I definitely hope you can just do a quick "What can I make with what I have" search.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I am getting back into playing Nocturne and man, I forgot how bullshitingly hard the random encounters can be. It's not even that the enemies are especially tough, just that after a certain point, in certain areas, get used to fighting several waves of demons.

Also don't cast Riberama by accident when you're low on MP and running around the Labyrinth. :downsgun:

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I think I might look into Soul Hackers instead of Nocturne to start off with. I've basically heard nothing but how brutually hard Nocturne is.

Random couple questions about the Persona series.

1.) Are Persona 1 and 2 worth playing? I've heard pretty mixed things, especially about the original. I'd be playing the PSP/PSN versions. I know that P3/P4 are pretty highly regarded, but wasn't sure if I should skip over the first two whenever I decide to play the Persona games.

2.) In regards to Persona 3, is there a consensus for which version is better, Persona 3 Portable or Persona 3 FES?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Is there a bonus for 100%ing the Compendium in Soul Hackers?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Atlus is tweeting that you'll be able to fuse demons in the middle of combat in SMT4. They describe two scenarios where this can benefit the player: If you're in a tough battle and your demons run out of MP, you can fuse them to create a new demon, which'll have full MP. The other is if you come across a demon you want to recruit but your inventory is full, you can fuse to make some room.

Camaro83 posted:

2.) In regards to Persona 3, is there a consensus for which version is better, Persona 3 Portable or Persona 3 FES?

People generally seem to prefer FES because they like seeing the characters during cutscenes. I hear good things about Portable's girl mode though.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Is there a bonus for 100%ing the Compendium in Soul Hackers?

Not that I've seen. Also the max is 110% thanks to Nemechi.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

Atlus is tweeting that you'll be able to fuse demons in the middle of combat in SMT4. They describe two scenarios where this can benefit the player: If you're in a tough battle and your demons run out of MP, you can fuse them to create a new demon, which'll have full MP. The other is if you come across a demon you want to recruit but your inventory is full, you can fuse to make some room.

Is there any chance of a fusion loss though?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Camaro83 posted:

I think I might look into Soul Hackers instead of Nocturne to start off with. I've basically heard nothing but how brutually hard Nocturne is.

Random couple questions about the Persona series.

1.) Are Persona 1 and 2 worth playing? I've heard pretty mixed things, especially about the original. I'd be playing the PSP/PSN versions. I know that P3/P4 are pretty highly regarded, but wasn't sure if I should skip over the first two whenever I decide to play the Persona games.

I would say persona 1 is personally not worth playing (although there a few people here who disagree) but P2 is def worth playing if you can deal with the annoyingly high encounter rate

Also P3 is definitely a toss up, you lose ALOT in my opinion with the switch to a talking portrait VN style story telling medium, and while the girl mode is nice I'd still say that P3FES is the definitive version.

And re: Nocturne, don't let people scare you off becuase while people like to talk about the difficulty it's less ball stompingly hard and more just that the game punishes you for playing it like say a final fantasy game and just mashing attack over and over.

Although the game can have funny/bullshit moments like this

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

vanov posted:

I really wish there was an easy mode to Strange Journey. It's tone and writing are easily some of the best of the non-Persona SMT games. It's just that the game gets to bullshit levels of difficulty really really quickly.

I'd honestly just watch a youtube run of it or something. It's super creeptatcular. Just really brutal.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thundercracker posted:

I really wish there was an easy mode to Strange Journey. It's tone and writing are easily some of the best of the non-Persona SMT games. It's just that the game gets to bullshit levels of difficulty really really quickly.

I'd honestly just watch a youtube run of it or something. It's super creeptatcular. Just really brutal.

You could always save up cash and use some of the passwords all over the internet to get some super demons

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

nachos posted:

You could always save up cash and use some of the passwords all over the internet to get some super demons

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Well, I finished Soul Hackers. Big spoilers, obviously.

Last Boss comments:
Seriously, what the hell was that? That was it? It spends half the fight just attacking normally before breaking out some more damaging skills, which would have been halfway threatening if everything it does wasn't flagged physical. I had Suzaku, which moves faster than Manitou and has Tetrakarn, so... yeah. Spent the rest of the fight spamming Tetra and it literally killed itself. I know SH is supposed to be on the easier end of Megaten but I was hoping for something a bit less... trivial.

Plot:
I'm still not entirely certain what Manitou was, beyond some kind of massive soul collector. I also don't really know what Kadokura wanted with all those souls considering he apparently wasn't a demon like Nishi/Azazel. He was going pretty nutbar by the end though, so who knows if he really had a plan at that point.

The whole game seems to lose a bit of cohesion near the end, I could see that things were winding up by the Monolith but everything did resolve pretty abruptly. Even the ending was short! I'm just glad they put the biggest chunk of it after the credits because if they just ended it with Nemissa leaving I would have been pretty disappointed.

Overall despite some rough spots it was pretty great. Game has excellent style at times, and after waiting god knows how long after first hearing about it years ago I'm glad I finally got to play it for myself.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Well, I finished Soul Hackers. Big spoilers, obviously.

Last Boss comments:
Seriously, what the hell was that? That was it? It spends half the fight just attacking normally before breaking out some more damaging skills, which would have been halfway threatening if everything it does wasn't flagged physical. I had Suzaku, which moves faster than Manitou and has Tetrakarn, so... yeah. Spent the rest of the fight spamming Tetra and it literally killed itself. I know SH is supposed to be on the easier end of Megaten but I was hoping for something a bit less... trivial.

Plot:
I'm still not entirely certain what Manitou was, beyond some kind of massive soul collector. I also don't really know what Kadokura wanted with all those souls considering he apparently wasn't a demon like Nishi/Azazel. He was going pretty nutbar by the end though, so who knows if he really had a plan at that point.

The whole game seems to lose a bit of cohesion near the end, I could see that things were winding up by the Monolith but everything did resolve pretty abruptly. Even the ending was short! I'm just glad they put the biggest chunk of it after the credits because if they just ended it with Nemissa leaving I would have been pretty disappointed.

Overall despite some rough spots it was pretty great. Game has excellent style at times, and after waiting god knows how long after first hearing about it years ago I'm glad I finally got to play it for myself.

Make sure you load your clear game save!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Camaro83 posted:

I haven't played Persona 1, but Persona 2 was a pretty good game. However, it's also kind of old, with stuff like high encounter rates and (mostly) non-revisitable dungeons. Still, I personally enjoyed it. Also if you're into good story and characters, it's good in that regard too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh boy I love playing this game.

Persona 2 has probably the best MegaTen plot/cast with a kind of slow 90's PSX battle system. It's pretty great.

The original release of Persona 1 is probably the worst JRPG I've ever played. Supposedly they fixed the horrific localization in the PSP release, but then did nothing to the battle system and dungeons which are probably the slowest and most tedious in the MegaTen franchise. I decidedly do not recommend this video game.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
So what's the best strategy when playing VS Poker in Soul Hackers? I do generally alright until I reach the 5000 coin bet, then I just get my rear end handed to me. Or the opponent gets a flush at the last second.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Did somebody say Persona 1? Because the PSP remake of P1 is fuckin' great and probably one of the coolest SMT games in general.

Persona 2 is also loving awesome.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Woo, Soul Hackers crashed in the frozen warehouse as I was heading to a save point after killing the boss!

How does this get past their beta testing?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Woo, Soul Hackers crashed in the frozen warehouse as I was heading to a save point after killing the boss!

How does this get past their beta testing?

What caused the crash, if you can tell? I haven't gotten any yet and I'd like to keep it that way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Prism posted:

What caused the crash, if you can tell? I haven't gotten any yet and I'd like to keep it that way.

It happened mid-battle, during an attack animation.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I know it's been part of the genre ever since SMT games existed (going back to when they were copies of Wizardry) but I really really REALLY wish you could see NPCs before you were right on top of them.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Nate RFB posted:

Supposedly they fixed the horrific localization in the PSP release, but then did nothing to the battle system and dungeons which are probably the slowest and most tedious in the MegaTen franchise. I decidedly do not recommend this video game.

Yes, they did fix the localization, so no more gangster Mark. :whatup:

And I can agree on the battle system, which is very clunky but easily exploitable as to not cause any real difficulty. And what do you mean the dungeons are slow and tedious? That's a gross hyperbole, the dungeons in P1 are way better than any dungeons in P3 or P4, and the Snow Queen Quest is probably some of my favorite SMT dungeons.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The fact that your characters got different XP based on how much damage they did in that particular fight was a really stupid decision.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The fact that your characters got different XP based on how much damage they did in that particular fight was a really stupid decision.

It's not even based on how much damage they did. A character who did nothing but cast Makakaja will end up with more experience than the character who actually killed all the enemies.
(It is still a bad system)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh is it? My mistake, I only got about half way through the game and I guess I remembered the system wrong, still I thought it was dumb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Speedball posted:

I know it's been part of the genre ever since SMT games existed (going back to when they were copies of Wizardry) but I really really REALLY wish you could see NPCs before you were right on top of them.

I think one of the Demi Kids or Last Bible games did this?

You don't see them on the map, but in the old games (as well as Soul Hackers) you do get that pre-battle menu where you can talk to them, leave, etc. But the evasion rate in Soul Hackers isn't as high as in other SMT games by default, so it's not as useful. That pre-menu was you noticing monsters ahead of time and choosing to just leave if you wanted.

I think Strange Journey is so difficult because of how it was going to be SMT4 at first. The real deal as it were. I remember some interview with Atlus where there was some bit of division over this where some people wanted SMT4 to be like MT1 and 2 and SMT 1/2/3 where it was closer to Wizardry than Final Fantasy while others preferred including some of the concepts and structure of the spinoff games. The artwork in general in it is much closer to that of SMT1 and 2 than the newer stuff. I like just about all the SMT games a lot so either way is fine with me but Strange Journey is definitely a tough game, no shame in just using the passwords to get some overpowered stuff.

Improbable Lobster:
I haven't had any crashes yet, but do you remember what you were fighting or what spell you cast? I notice a few user reviews complaining about this actually, but I don't remember having problems when I played the game on the Saturn. Just curious, was it one of those fights with like six Undead Drag Queens all casting spells for their action or something?

I like the Persona 1 dungeons quite a bit. Again though this was from when the series in general was more Wizardry inspired than anything else structurally. So I can definitely understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea. I do think the SMT dungeons could have used a few secret areas though or maybe even a few more chests. It's now Wizardry V but the amount of straight up dead ends in some of those dungeons does get frustrating at times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

El Belmondo posted:

And I can agree on the battle system, which is very clunky but easily exploitable as to not cause any real difficulty. And what do you mean the dungeons are slow and tedious? That's a gross hyperbole, the dungeons in P1 are way better than any dungeons in P3 or P4, and the Snow Queen Quest is probably some of my favorite SMT dungeons.
Avidea World goes on, and on, and on for hours upon hours. Just endless corridors of the same colored walls and floors. It's also a pain if you entered at too low of a level, since you can't negotiate with the demons and get more cards. It's probably the worst dungeon I've ever experienced in a JRPG, and that's ignoring the other dumb one earlier where you have to go through it twice (the pimple girl one, IIRC).

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Nate RFB posted:

Avidea World goes on, and on, and on for hours upon hours. Just endless corridors of the same colored walls and floors. It's also a pain if you entered at too low of a level, since you can't negotiate with the demons and get more cards. It's probably the worst dungeon I've ever experienced in a JRPG, and that's ignoring the other dumb one earlier where you have to go through it twice (the pimple girl one, IIRC).

I think that one was the Mana Castle?

Also Persona 1 has like 5000 element types, it's ridiculous.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Nate RFB posted:

Avidea World goes on, and on, and on for hours upon hours. Just endless corridors of the same colored walls and floors. It's also a pain if you entered at too low of a level, since you can't negotiate with the demons and get more cards. It's probably the worst dungeon I've ever experienced in a JRPG

It did have a lot of floors, agreed. I didn't think it was that bad though. And you weren't locked in, so you could get more cards anyway, though the EXP system was totally hosed in that game. That's also pretty harsh as well, I've played through worse dungeons, some of the SJ dungeons were more annoying and poorly designed.

Nate RFB posted:

the other dumb one earlier where you have to go through it twice (the pimple girl one, IIRC).

Oh come on, you're telling me having to go through the same dungeon twice isn't a masochistic pleasure? :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Improbable Lobster:
I haven't had any crashes yet, but do you remember what you were fighting or what spell you cast? I notice a few user reviews complaining about this actually, but I don't remember having problems when I played the game on the Saturn. Just curious, was it one of those fights with like six Undead Drag Queens all casting spells for their action or something?

It was one of the ice enemies in the warehouse, casting Bufu. I can't remember their name but there were only two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
So I beat everyone in VS Poker and made an astonishing -- drum roll, please...

3000 coins.

Getting the casino weapons in Soul Hackers is a pain. :/

Snix fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 24, 2013