Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I thought you had to pay for the boards on Zen Pinball?

Crowbear posted:

Yeah the base game is free but the boards are all DLC.

That's odd because it was listing some free to download boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You can get a board for like $3 though. That's a really reasonable price for a pinball.

Edit: there are demo ones but they're limited. I don't think there are any totally free boards.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That's odd because it was listing some free to download boards.

They're trials. Nothing about Zen Pinball 2 is actually free.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

What's his network ID? No spaces in a network ID.

Sorry, it's Folkloner.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Artix posted:

They're trials. Nothing about Zen Pinball 2 is actually free.

Ah. Well, even as a trial I'll play it a bit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's a good game if you like pinball at all. The package tables are a good deal..

My personal favorite is the Spider-Man table. It's not difficult but there's a lot going on and you can keep the ball in play a long time if you have even basic pinball skills.

It's a shame they don't have Mysteries of the Deep in Zen Pinball 2. That was my favorite in the original game...

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

greatn posted:

Huh, I know the remote interface you're talking about. Mine doesn't change any input. The IR signal the TVii software thinks your box needs must just be hideously close to the signal your brand of TV has for a command to switch inputs. I'm guessing it doesn't happen with the TV button because it has a more limited set of commands.

What about when you just click a show and "watch now", same thing?

Try pointing away from the TV. My TV requires almost a direct line to get input from the gamepad, but my cable box receives it no matter where I point. Maybe if you point the opposite direction or perpendicular to your TV the box will get the signal but your TV will miss it.

Same result with watch now. I will try pointing it away from the TV since mine also requires something very close to a direct line to get input from the gamepad.

I do have a question though. How does this thing know which input my Uverse box is connected to?

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 23, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Balcony posted:

Sorry, it's Folkloner.

Thanks. I like how he writes. It's almost Mr. Saturn.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It doesn't. Which is it connected to? I'm gonna guess HDMI3? It's probably just advancing the input by one, to coax, which comes after the hdmi on a lot of TVs.

Or it could be documentation they got for the box assumed it was hooked to coax, so they included that when programming inputs.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Soul Glo posted:

Also the posts complaining about posts complaining about the Wii U are just as bad as posts complaining about the Wii U. At least the latter are on topic.

No, they're really not. You can almost set your watch by "Damnit Nintendo, why don't you do [this thing] it's so obvious, i'm a genius!" in this thread anymore.

quote:

Things should start looking brighter once we get into Summer and Fall with Pikmin 3, Blacklist, Assassin's Creed 4, Watchdogs, etc. But April HAS been a real bummer.

This is true though. I'm hoping (and it should be if I remember) that Wonderful 101 is lumped into that summer release list. Only thing is it'll have me staring at the calendar everyday waiting for it to change.

MinibarMatchman posted:

A lot of great news come from wiiudaily.com, one of the best places to read about upcoming projects and industry buzz. I never played Road Rash but this new one in development looks pretty fun, even if it's an eshop addition http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/road-redemption-wii-u/

I am a lot more hyped for that than I should be. I loooooved Road Rash back in the day. Punching at little ol' ladies with walkers to grab a chain to beat other bikers with. Such stupid fun. If it winds up playing anything like that irregardless of how it looks i'll throw some money down for it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

It doesn't help that any time people start actually talking about games, they are told to take it to another thread about that specific game.

That really only happened with Monster Hunter, which has a dedicated and active thread the discussion can move to; I do the same with the 3DS thread when new games are released, current examples being Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. Some game talk in here is fine but really the whole point of this thread is to talk about Nintendo and the WiiU.

Listen, I know discussion here is lacking and a big part of that is a lack of actual interesting news and games to talk about, but I feel discussion here goes through its cyclical routine of DOOMSDAY armchair analysis with a dash of NINTENDO SHOULD GO 3RD PARTY far too often and only to fill the silent void that is the WiiU news cycle. I'm sure a lot of that will change once the update is released and once E3 hits, but in the meantime my goal is to keep the thread on track with WiiU and Nintendo discussion, whether it be valid criticisms of what they're doing wrong/right or what they have planned for the system. Nintendo would rather go out of business than start developing games for a third party so don't even bring it up, it's pointless. PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

This could be a thing http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/f-zero-for-wii-u/

Maybe it won't be F-Zero per se but a racing game from the guys who made the blistering Nano Assault Neo would be pretty goddamned cool.
I assume it's a sequel to FAST Racing League, WiiWare title they did a while back.

Random Stranger posted:

It's a good game if you like pinball at all. The package tables are a good deal..

My personal favorite is the Spider-Man table. It's not difficult but there's a lot going on and you can keep the ball in play a long time if you have even basic pinball skills.

It's a shame they don't have Mysteries of the Deep in Zen Pinball 2. That was my favorite in the original game...
Are there any "realistic" tables, like designs that could actually be pulled off in a real machine? For whatever reason it's harder for me to get into video game tables with unrealistic elements like the Zen ones I've tried so far. Worst case I guess I just hope Pinball Arcade is still in the works for it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I suspect they will delay Wonderful 101 because it is too similar to Pikmin or something. I use "delay" but it's'd not like there's actually a release date.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are Wonderful101 and Pikmin so similar that they'll compete against eachother? They definitely look similar which might be all that matters when it comes to releases.

I guess what I'm asking is, if they released both games on the same day how would it effect their sales?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it would effect Wonderful 101 more than Pikmin. For some reason it just feels like Nintendo don't have a lot of confidence in Wonderful 101, they hardly ever mention it, and it's been a long while since it last had a trailer. But that could just be a marketing problem.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Are Wonderful101 and Pikmin so similar that they'll compete against eachother? They definitely look similar which might be all that matters when it comes to releases.

I guess what I'm asking is, if they released both games on the same day how would it effect their sales?

As someone who's only vaguely paid attention to 101 and who knows about Pikmin (but isn't a fan), they look like the exact same kind of game to me. I'm sure they're different in their own ways, but they do look to play the exact same way. Pikmin got a July date, right? I expect/hope that 101 gets a release date at E3, but I don't see them coming out on the same day. Even if they're more different than they appear, I doubt Nintendo wants any two particular big sellers coming out on the same day.

Then again, Need for Speed, Lego City Undercover and MH3U all came out within 48 hours, so who knows. Maybe they really don't care about spreading out games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

greatn posted:

I think it would effect Wonderful 101 more than Pikmin. For some reason it just feels like Nintendo don't have a lot of confidence in Wonderful 101, they hardly ever mention it, and it's been a long while since it last had a trailer. But that could just be a marketing problem.

Thats less Nintendo having no faith in the game, and more just Nintendo being Nintendo. Personally I enjoy how they dont show off their games too much before release, but Im a huge nerd that goes out of my way to know that these things are coming out.

Soul Glo posted:

Then again, Need for Speed, Lego City Undercover and MH3U all came out within 48 hours, so who knows. Maybe they really don't care about spreading out games.

Three different publishers though. If all of those games were by the same company, they would have been spaced out a lot more

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

As someone who's only vaguely paid attention to 101 and who knows about Pikmin (but isn't a fan), they look like the exact same kind of game to me. I'm sure they're different in their own ways, but they do look to play the exact same way. Pikmin got a July date, right? I expect/hope that 101 gets a release date at E3, but I don't see them coming out on the same day. Even if they're more different than they appear, I doubt Nintendo wants any two particular big sellers coming out on the same day.

Pikmin is slated for August right now, after yet another delay.

There were rumors about W101 coming out in June or July but nothing solid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pikmin 3 is August 4th I believe.

This update promises to let your system continue downloading even after you turn it off. It would be rad if they added a feature in the next update where you can "preorder" a game on eShop and it automatically begins downloading at midnight even while your system is off. I'd totally do that for Pikmin.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

japtor posted:

I assume it's a sequel to FAST Racing League, WiiWare title they did a while back.

That looks pretty cool, I never heard anything about that one. Is it very much like F-ZERO?

Also apparently a few leaks here and there seem to pointing towards Wonderful 101 in June/July? Some flyer that predicted the release date of Pikmin also had a date for W101, and there was some kind of Germany store date set for the early summer months.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Pikmin 3 is August 4th I believe.

This update promises to let your system continue downloading even after you turn it off. It would be rad if they added a feature in the next update where you can "preorder" a game on eShop and it automatically begins downloading at midnight even while your system is off. I'd totally do that for Pikmin.

What would be even more cool is if the pad's blue ring would slowly pulse to alert you something got downloaded (only if its plugged in though, of course)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hopefully their servers for downloading full games get better if they do that. It took me longer than 12 hours to download Lego City and that's pretty crap. I hope their servers will ramp up in quality as updates come

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Is there a dump of information available that has what all is going to be included in the system update? I'd love to get a notification system so you don't have to guess at what the flashing blue light means.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hopefully their servers for downloading full games get better if they do that. It took me longer than 12 hours to download Lego City and that's pretty crap. I hope their servers will ramp up in quality as updates come

Aside from improving their servers, allowing Steam style pre-loading would be a big help. In the week leading up to release, people can auto-download chunks of the game up until the midnight release, where the final bit of data gets sent out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe download a piece or pieces of the game before it comes out, then as soon as release day hits, just download the last chunk required to play. Kind of the opposite of how PS4 will do it(it downloads the bare minimum to play and continues foreboding while you play it)

Edit: oh this apparently already exists!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Same here. I bought a wired ethernet adapter because I thought the signal was too weak but nope. Nintendo really needs to sign up with some CDNs it wouldn't surprise me if they were rolling their own.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

Is there a dump of information available that has what all is going to be included in the system update? I'd love to get a notification system so you don't have to guess at what the flashing blue light means.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542991

quote:

Loading times will be improved when switching between software or when returning to the Wii U menu.

The ability to copy and move data between USB drives will be added.

The Wii U will automatically install new software that you have downloaded in the background while playing a game.

Software updates will automatically be downloaded (even without starting the software).

You can immediately access Wii Mode while the Wii U is starting up if you hold the B button.

The Wii U will continue downloading and installing software even if the system is turned off.

The Wii U Virtual Console will be added the day after the update.

e: Yeah pre-loading would be cool, it's one of my favorite things about Steam.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they could patch things up with Amazon and contact them as a CDN. It might, just maybe, be a good idea to have your products available on the largest e commerce site.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wait, now I feel kinda dense. Is the Wii U Virtual Console supposed to be different somehow from the games I can already buy on the eShop, like F-Zero?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The only thing that seems similar between the two, to me, is the controlling a large army of folks. The difference seems to be that Pikmin always seemed more puzzle-oriented to me, whereas Wonderful 101 looks more action-oriented from the gameplay they have shown (though it does still have some puzzle elements from the look of things). I also don't know if Wonderful 101 will have the same kind of troop management system that Pikmin is known for.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

Maybe they could patch things up with Amazon and contact them as a CDN. It might, just maybe, be a good idea to have your products available on the largest e commerce site.

Haha, I just went to see what was up with the Wii U Amazon page these days and found this... interesting ad :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

Wait, now I feel kinda dense. Is the Wii U Virtual Console supposed to be different somehow from the games I can already buy on the eShop, like F-Zero?

Not substantially but those are just a sneak preview. Ideally I'd love it if all your games were in one app and you could swap between them without going to the home screen, but I don't think they're doing that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

That looks pretty cool, I never heard anything about that one. Is it very much like F-ZERO?
Never played it myself so I don't know the gameplay intricacies, but it's in the same vein of "fast futuristic racer" I guess. Reading this review and skimming the comments it seems to add in some weird/interesting elements but generally seems like people like it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

The VC's "launch" just seems to mean putting out a slate of games at regular price and adding them more frequently than once a month. It's assumed that they'll all work just like the 30 cent titles that have been released.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Crowbear posted:

Haha, I just went to see what was up with the Wii U Amazon page these days and found this... interesting ad :v:

You chopped off the "Other consoles to consider" ad at the top thats not there on the 360 or PS3 pages. It's really kind of nuts they haven't patched things up with Amazon yet.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So why are Nintendo and Amazon fighting? Something like people returning a bunch of 3DSes because of headaches or something?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

So why are Nintendo and Amazon fighting? Something like people returning a bunch of 3DSes because of headaches or something?

Supposedly left over animosity from Nintendo not taking care of portable returns. Either from DS broken hinges or 3DS rubbed screens. You get different answers from different people which makes me think nobody knows for sure.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Atomicated posted:

You chopped off the "Other consoles to consider" ad at the top thats not there on the 360 or PS3 pages. It's really kind of nuts they haven't patched things up with Amazon yet.

Man, I hadn't even noticed that. It also pops up at the top of the search page when you search for "Wii U".

That is way more aggressive than Amazon were being back during the 3DS kerfuffle.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The 3DS page also advertises a bunch of Vita bundles at the top. The Vita pages dont advertise 3DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The weird thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything like that on the UK Amazon, in fact they're even promoting the buy 3 3DS games get 1 free thing.

• Locked thread