Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

greatn posted:

It doesn't. Which is it connected to? I'm gonna guess HDMI3? It's probably just advancing the input by one, to coax, which comes after the hdmi on a lot of TVs.

Or it could be documentation they got for the box assumed it was hooked to coax, so they included that when programming inputs.

Wii U = HDMI 3

I have an HDMI 4 though so it isn't just advancing by one. The Uverse box is hooked to HDMI 1. Nothing is connected to my TV's coax input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KimT posted:

The weird thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything like that on the UK Amazon, in fact they're even promoting the buy 3 3DS games get 1 free thing.
Yeah afaik whatever issue there is between Nintendo and Amazon it seems to only be within the US.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Must be one of those things where Reggie went to Harvard and Jeff Bezos went to Yale, each also in rival fraternities.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Supposedly left over animosity from Nintendo not taking care of portable returns. Either from DS broken hinges or 3DS rubbed screens. You get different answers from different people which makes me think nobody knows for sure.

The funniest thing is that obviously the same thing happened with Microsoft, since 360 consoles are literally the only physical, non-personalized/consumable product I've seen on Amazon that is absolutely non-returnable. Yet they still sell 360s. :psyduck:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Xavier434 posted:

Wii U = HDMI 3

I have an HDMI 4 though so it isn't just advancing by one. The Uverse box is hooked to HDMI 1. Nothing is connected to my TV's coax input.

I'm thinking about getting U-Verse because of a deal and this is really what I'm worried about. Is there no way to have them working together? Would a single hdmi box work? I was really looking forward to trying out TVii.

Also, love the Wii U, just got MH, NSMB, and Sonic, and I love that this is the first time touching all four shoulder buttons at once is comfortable. Also Pikmin with two or more is the only way to play.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009
Bought a Wii U a month back and I'm having a great time with it. My wife and kid are playing the poo poo out of Mario and Nintendoland while Monster Hunter has glued me to the TV in a way I haven't experienced since Pilotwings on the N64. We also bought Lego City but haven't played it much yet with the other games. We'll be busy for a while. Once Mario Kart, Mario Golf and Smash Brothers are out, we'll be set for years.

My impossible hope is that with Ubisoft being an awesome partner we get a Silent Hunter game. The gamepad would be so great for that series that I'd probably lose my job, so it's probably a good thing that I'm one of the few people that would care at all about this :(

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

From Nintendo's Facebook page, the VC launch lineup:

Nintendo posted:

NES:

Punch out
Balloon Fight
Kirby's adventure
DK JR
Ice climber

SNES:

Super mario world
F-ZERO

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why :negative:

At this rate they'll match the number of Wii VC titles by the year 2054.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So up to the current VC trial games, plus Ice Climbers, DK Jr, and Super Mario World. This...is not a good start.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Long John Power posted:

That's some silly poo poo.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rumors!

http://iheartnintendo.com/post/48693591200

quote:

Rumor: Emily Rogers says Firware Update coming Thursday, Wii U Virtual Console coming Friday.

Famed leaker Emily Roger’s who said the Wii U Virtual Console would release later this week with an unannounced feature is saying that we should see the April Firmware update this Thursday, and the Wii U Virtual console this Friday, hopefully with the 3DS connectivity that she has been speculating. Well, she said that those of us with both systems would be very happy indeed. I hope she’s right!

http://iheartnintendo.com/post/48705610140

quote:

Rumor: MiiVerse for PC and Smartphones coming this week, says Emily Rogers

And the 3DS will see the MiiVerse before the year’s end. It might actually get me to finally join…shameful that a Nintendo fan who runs a Nintendo site hasn’t signed on yet. Now’s my chance!

Am I the only one who hopes, if this is true, that you can't actually post on Miiverse from these devices?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Long John Power posted:

Ahahaha I KNEW it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That is seriously terrible. It's bad enough to have no retail titles to talk about but when they're intentionally staggering their eShop/VC releases to be AS STAGNANT as the retail release schedule, it's like they don't want people to give them money.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I'm sure they'll continue with the 1, and maybe if you're incredibly lucky, 2 games a week.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I just don't understand, what have they been sitting on with the Virtual Console in all these months? At this point the WiiU doesn't even deserve to succeed if the company that produces it hardly supports it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm sure they'll continue with the 1, and maybe if you're incredibly lucky, 2 games a week.
Well the 3DS eShop has been getting an average of 2 VC titles a month, so, if that's any indication...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I didn't exactly expect any better I've been a Nintendo fan for too long but seriously what the hell. I'm hoping maybe against all hope that they're slowly revealing the launch lineup throughout the day or something but I know I'm not exactly being realistic with that hope. :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm confused, what were people expecting?

Are there any NES or SNES games that people want that aren't already on the Wii VC, or are people upset that they didn't at least just transfer everything from the Wii VC to the Wii U VC?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Are there any NES or SNES games that people want that aren't already on the Wii VC, or are people upset that they didn't at least just transfer everything from the Wii VC to the Wii U VC?

They should have absolutely transferred the Wii VC straight to the Wii U at the very least.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Well the original Wii VC launched with 30 titles so how about starting at that number, considering how far behind they already are?

Not even one N64 or GBA title.

Everything about this system has reeked of "this needed another year in the oven" and they're still unprepared even now.

e: just checked and the Wii VC had 45 games up within 2 months.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 23, 2013

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Soul Glo posted:

It's exactly what we were expecting, but deep down we were hoping Nintendo would have learned from their past mistakes.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's already a sizzle reel showing more games than that, so let's see how regularly those are introduced.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Everything about this system has reeked of "this needed another year in the oven" and they're still unprepared even now.

This is so right. I'm quite happy with the WiiU, and I'm playing it quite a bit, but everything reeks of "we have to get this out in November of 2012 or we're hosed!". The UI's way too slow, even compared to the Wii's, there was no TVii off the bat, and no virtual console. I feel like an Ouya backer, getting my beta device. Once the kinks are worked out, they'll advertise more and pick up the slack, but meanwhile, I have to slog on with my busted rear end UI and weird problems until the real thing is supposed to come out.

The difference being, of course, that the WiiU actually shipped and is actually a good system.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I really was expecting a surprise. Why Nintendo :negative:

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

1) The Wii's VC library wasn't that comprehensive
2) Not everyone wants to rely on "homebrew" to play old Nintendo games

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

I think it would effect Wonderful 101 more than Pikmin. For some reason it just feels like Nintendo don't have a lot of confidence in Wonderful 101, they hardly ever mention it, and it's been a long while since it last had a trailer. But that could just be a marketing problem.

Somebody brought this up last week, too, and I pointed out that (now three weeks ago?) Wonderful 101 was featured in the OFFICIAL UK NINTENDO MAGAZINE and at Pax East every attendee could play the game hands-on. The game news sites and blogs talked about it and were impressed but nobody here gives a poo poo and pretends it never happened and I can't tell why.

I guess it proves the marketing isn't working since clearly nobody acknowledges this, but I get more confidence in a video game when it's being shown off to the general public with playable builds instead of prerendered trailers. Maybe they should get some TV spots with goofy cartoon characters doing the DreamWorks face before the title and "Rated E for Everybody" voiceovers cut in, but really having a polished piece of software available without Joe Gamer complaining about slowdown or control difficulty should be more important.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
So I bought Mario RPG for the Wii VC a couple weeks ago but didn't realize I couldn't play it with the controllers I had, so I was anxiously awaiting this update to play it on my Wii U gamepad / Pro Controller.

Will I be able to play it when the VC gets upgraded later this week at all? I don't mind if I have to shell out another couple bucks to transfer it or whatever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

acumen posted:

So I bought Mario RPG for the Wii VC a couple weeks ago but didn't realize I couldn't play it with the controllers I had, so I was anxiously awaiting this update to play it on my Wii U gamepad / Pro Controller.

Will I be able to play it when the VC gets upgraded later this week at all? I don't mind if I have to shell out another couple bucks to transfer it or whatever.

You'll have to wait until the Wii U VC actually has it available before you can upgrade it.

Your best bet at this point is to find a Wii Remote and a Classic Controller Pro.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The VC launch isn't a library-wide upgrade (and it was never promised as one, so I'm not sure why there are so many shocked faces now). Each game is being individually worked on, QA-tested, and re-released.

I agree they should have gotten this stuff out sooner, but this week there's a major title (SMW) as the centrepiece and two fillers, which is about on par with an average week's update early in the original VC's lifespan. Draw the knives if nothing else comes out next week.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 23, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

StevenM posted:

1) The Wii's VC library wasn't that comprehensive
2) Not everyone wants to rely on "homebrew" to play old Nintendo games

I didn't mention anything about homebrew, but cool?

I honestly can't think of anything not already on the Wii VC that I would want-- at least nothing realistic. Also why is the Wii U getting GBA games instead of the 3DS? Seems strange.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Soul Glo posted:

I honestly can't think of anything not already on the Wii VC that I would want-- at least nothing realistic. Also why is the Wii U getting GBA games instead of the 3DS? Seems strange.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to put the GBA games on the Wii U, but I really don't care which system it goes on, as long as I get to play Superstar Saga again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't mention anything about homebrew, but cool?

Maybe it's because they're going to go "Surprise!" and announce that VC games will be cross-platform for NES, SNES, GBA, etc. Also, maybe I will find $100 on the floor; nope, not seeing any :smith:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Maybe it's because they're going to go "Surprise!" and announce that VC games will be cross-platform for NES, SNES, GBA, etc. Also, maybe I will find $100 on the floor; nope, not seeing any :smith:

That could be likely given some previous stuff Emily Rogers has been talking about.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

The VC launch isn't a library-wide upgrade (and it was never promised as one, so I'm not sure why there are so many shocked faces now). Each game is being individually worked on, QA-tested, and re-released.

I agree they should have gotten this stuff out sooner, but this week there's a major title (SMW) as the centrepiece and two fillers, which is about on par with an average week's update early in the original VC's lifespan. Draw the knives if nothing else comes out next week.
Ok I'm sorry but. The Virtual Console should have been available day 1 when the console came out, that should have been a baseline expectation. For them to have taken this long in getting it out, and to only have these 8 titles, 4 of which are already available (Punch Out, Kirby, Balloon Fight, F-Zero)... I mean does it take them a month to QA test one VC game?? Because they should be much further ahead than this. It's like they crammed a homework assignment in the last 5 minutes of study hall.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The rate of releases going forward will be far more significant than the initial baseline selection.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I actually don't mind them giving us the titles gradually (though the jury's still out on how gradually it is). If they would dump all the titles right away, I would have given many of them much less attention then they deserved. I would probably buy 10 of the several hundreds, browse through the rest, and then never download a title again for a year or something. When the Wii launched, every week I read about the new VC titles, and purchased several ones I would otherwise have ignored because they would have gotten lost among the bigger titles. Instead I spent hours on great classics like Solomon's Key, SimCity and Gunstar Heroes. Overwhelming choice isn't a good thing. And no 7, isn't really overwhelming. I'm just saying that I prefer this approach to having several hundreds on day one, though they could easily multiply the launch titles by four or something.

I'll let this guy explain why only 7 VC games is the greatest thing ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's great and all but I'd just rather be able to buy the game that I'm looking for as soon as possible rather than wait for some far off arbitrary day when they randomly choose it over, I dunno, Kickle Cubicle. Knowing that the title I'm interested in is not in the shop and may not be in the shop for months, if ever, makes me LESS inclined to want to look.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I didn't expect any mind blowing surprises from the Virtual Console launch, but at least matching the number of games available at Wii launch would have been nice. Three games on top of the Trial ones is pathetic.

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's already a sizzle reel showing more games than that, so let's see how regularly those are introduced.

One every other week, going by the 3DS and later Wii.

Chronojam posted:

Somebody brought this up last week, too, and I pointed out that (now three weeks ago?) Wonderful 101 was featured in the OFFICIAL UK NINTENDO MAGAZINE and at Pax East every attendee could play the game hands-on. The game news sites and blogs talked about it and were impressed but nobody here gives a poo poo and pretends it never happened and I can't tell why.

Because like Pikmin 3, it was supposed to be a launch window game that has slipped in to the second half of the year. Showing the same build/demo to the media that they've been trotting out for months doesn't mean much when the people that actually bought the system are left with little to nothing to play.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't want to bring the thread down with complaints about VC lineup/sales/release schedule, so I'd like to talk about the Nintendo games I'd want to see re-released or given a sequel on the Wii U.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

The Thousand Year Door is everything a sequel should be and more. It greatly improved the battle system by making your partners almost as useful as Mario himself, giving them access to more actions and their own health bar. The stage now features an audience, whose enthusiasm will grant you access to your powerful star abilities. Rather than replenishing at a fixed rate like in the first game, it's possible to do tricks whilst attacking to appeal to the crowd. Although not the only way the stage affects the battle, in the fight against the dragon Hooktail, she will jump into the during the battle and devour half the audience to recover her health.

The game features a more unique and interesting world compared to the Mushroom Kingdom in the first game, which involves you taking on the name of The Great Gonzales to battle your way to the champion, solving a mystery on a train, and recovering your name and body from a ghost named Doopliss, who can only be defeated by speaking his name (he's hidden the letter P from your text entry screen). Between chapters, Princess Peach tries to escape from a enemies' moon base while receiving help from a love-struck computer, and Bowser gets his own 2D platformer called Super Bowser Bros.

It's one of the few RPGs that require both strategy and skill, due to the timed hits required to deal the most damage possible. As well as being able reduce the damage from attacks, you now have the ability to both completely negate them and deal back damage in the process by using the B button at the exact moment an enemy lands an attack. There's even a 100 level dungeon, featuring at the lower levels some of the most difficult enemies in the game, as well as a boss that gives the final one a run for its money. This is a system that worked so well that it deserves a proper sequel, although the more recent entries deviate from it somewhat.

Super Mario Sunshine

Taking a very different approach to Super Mario 64 and the Galaxy games, this is one of the most divisive entries in the series. Taking place on the tropical resort of Isle Delphino, the game centres around using the FLUDD water pump to assist Mario's platforming, to fight enemies, and to clean up the sludge that's polluting the island. To this day it remains an absolutely beautiful game, with the scorching heat apparent through the heat haze, the water glistening with sunlight, and the draw distance being exceptional. From inside a level, it is possible to recognise the other levels within view.

Although the FLUDD changes up the platforming entirely, the game features many challenging bonus stages more reminiscent of the other 3D Mario games. It's not as willing to ease off the pressure like the more recent games, so it can be quite a challenge in some levels. It is let down by the fact that there are only seven proper stages, compared to Mario 64's 15, and you must get most of the shine sprites in each stage in order to finish the game, rather than giving you a fixed amount and letting you choose which to collect. Over a sixth of the shines are collected by trading in blue coins scattered around the levels, 240 in all, but there is no way to track which ones you have already, or which stages still have coins to collect. There is also no prize for getting all 120, besides a different image after the credits. At least you can dress Mario in a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses.

I'd like to write about Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, but these series are still getting sequels, so are not unique to the Gamecube. I'll also write about F-ZERO GX, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby: Return to Dreamland and Pikmin later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

If they do six releases a week (which LOL given their track record) it will be a month or so before they have the Wii's launch lineup. 68 weeks to catch up to the current Wii catalog.

They really need to do better on this.

• Locked thread