Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I feel like this is a bit of a stupid question but with the last 2 books mostly taking place on Lether does Laseen's plot line get finished? In particular Mallick Rel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

I feel like this is a bit of a stupid question but with the last 2 books mostly taking place on Lether does Laseen's plot line get finished? In particular Mallick Rel

read the I.C.E. books if you can stomach them

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, in the later books there are several elements that Erikson introduces purely as plot hooks for ICE's stuff. Makes sense, since it's a shared world and they're both writing in it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How are everything out of the normal 10? I was planning on reading a whole load of other things once I've finished Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God and will probably forget a lot

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Forge of Darkness is exceptional. Korbal and Broach fun but only obliquely related, ICE novels as follows: OST > stoneweilder > blood and bone > rotcg > night of knives.

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down

Scott Bakula posted:

How are everything out of the normal 10? I was planning on reading a whole load of other things once I've finished Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God and will probably forget a lot

I wouldn't say their worth it, really. Korbal & Broach are entertaining but fairly unrelated. And after reading Erikson, ICE just felt like fan-fiction to me.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I couldn't even get through the first few pages of RotCG after finishing Crippled God :(

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Scott Bakula posted:

Go read The Forge of Darkness right loving now.

edit: Read the above post 10 seconds after finishing the Crippled God.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well I'd rather wait until I've finished the series to read Forge of Darkness but definitely until I've finished Dust of Dreams

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Scott Bakula posted:

Well I'd rather wait until I've finished the series to read Forge of Darkness but definitely until I've finished Dust of Dreams

Pretty much the whole reason for my current (4th) reread is so I can read 'Forge' without being lost or unable to put things in context.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Scott Bakula posted:

Yeah I added in once you are done with crippled god in once I realised you wasn't there yet. Unlike the esslemont books though it is a must read.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Yeah I'm a little over halfway through the Forge of Darkness and its pretty great so far. Lots of POVs, but Erikson doesn't jump between unrelated characters as often as he does in Malazan, especially towards the end of the series. Most chapters are focused around one or two plot points seen from different characters perspectives. The plot itself is quite interesting and nothing feels unconnected like the Kiska storyline in ICEs book for example.

There is still a lot of introspective philosophical bullshit all over the place, but it doesn't bother me near as much as in Toll the Hounds, for instance.

Just got to where Rint burned Olar Ethil. It's exciting and fun seeing all these heavy hitters back in the day, and trying to guess what the deal is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm finding Dust of Dreams so much easier to read than Toll the Hounds. I think the sticking with characters more and having a more gripping immediate plot has really helped it. As good as Toll the Hounds ending was it was so meandering up to it. How much of the elder races history gets explained? Like, we know where most of the human races and Imass come from and possibly even the Jaghut. The Forkrul Assail and K'chain Chemalle though seem far less obvious and as far as I know weren't invader races like the Tiste. If its explained I'll just read through to it though

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm finding Dust of Dreams so much easier to read than Toll the Hounds. I think the sticking with characters more and having a more gripping immediate plot has really helped it. As good as Toll the Hounds ending was it was so meandering up to it. How much of the elder races history gets explained? Like, we know where most of the human races and Imass come from and possibly even the Jaghut. The Forkrul Assail and K'chain Chemalle though seem far less obvious and as far as I know weren't invader races like the Tiste. If its explained I'll just read through to it though

You'll find out some about them in the last two books, so keep reading. You should probably have an idea about the Kchain Chemalle's history, a lot of their stuff was sprinkled throughout the novels when they'd show up and if I'm remembering correctly most of the history of the Forkrul Assail in the series is learned in the last novel.

So keep on! Avoid spoilers! And then ask when you're all done :)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

PlushCow posted:

You'll find out some about them in the last two books, so keep reading. You should probably have an idea about the Kchain Chemalle's history, a lot of their stuff was sprinkled throughout the novels when they'd show up and if I'm remembering correctly most of the history of the Forkrul Assail in the series is learned in the last novel.

So keep on! Avoid spoilers! And then ask when you're all done :)
Without offering any spoilers, a lot of the elder races don't ever have a big "reveal" beyond piecing together themes and snippets that fill things in. Where they come from is always nebulous, but more because the books tend towards the mortal peoples' POV and not the elder gods and other people who might know for sure.

And then The Kharkanas trilogy comes out and turns all of that "history" on its head. There are a lot of reveals that dwarf everything in the main ten books, and it's just on book one.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Got through Night of Knives yesterday. I didn't end up hating it, it just felt a little inconsequential compared to the huge stuff that happens in the main series. But I liked it well enough. The horror elements were a neat shift from. Tonally, I don't think I like Esslemont's writing style. Hopefully it'll get a little better, because there's no way I'm skipping any Malazan books.

Also, reading through the Dramatis Personae for The Bonehunters has me really excited. Going from Midnight Tides where most everyone is new to having kind of like the greatest hits cast is going to be really exciting. Feels like it's been awhile since I've heard from the folks from Memories of Ice, though. Wonder what they're up to?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Holy poo poo Greyfrog is rad. :allears: When's Erikson gonna start the Greyfrog trilogy?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Anticipated query. Formulated theory after the two trilogies Erikson has contracted for.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Anticipated query. Formulated theory after the two trilogies Erikson has contracted for.

You forgot to end with the exercise of a bodily function.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Extended micturative excretion. Pleasure at easement after long delay. I feel much better after that. Definitive affirmation with physical display.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I randomly picked up my copy of MoI today and after skimming through a few pages I can't wait to start a reread after I finish. That book was so goddamn awesome. I'm on TtH now, and can't wait for finals to be over so I can actually have some solid reading time.

devin
May 29, 2010
Don't read this.

loving Midnight Tides. gently caress you, you don't loving matter. Holds are stupid, warrens are what are important, except now it's loving Holds everywhere suddenly and I seriously don't even know what god is what and WHY IS TRULL BEING WEIRD.

I just finished half of this loving series but in terms of page count I'm like 1/15th of the way to the end. And now suddenly someone is finally loving explaining what the gently caress a warren is but in a book full of Holds that DON'T loving MEAN ANYTHING.

And now I kind of understand what an Azath House is but I didn't know they could loving die. WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON GODDAMNIT

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

devin posted:

Don't read this.

Shhhhh. Just let Tehol and Bugg talk.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Before people could afford to make playing cards they used the Tiles that were linked with Holds, like how the Deck of Dragon & its Houses are linked with Warrens. Holds are just a more raw, primordial forms of magical fantasy-land blah blah dimensions I just don't even know. The Letheras continent is just stuck in the past, magically speaking.

Just go with the flow, it's the best advice for these novels.

rizzen posted:

Also this.

devin
May 29, 2010

rizzen posted:

I've since calmed down some and, yes, this.

Book still needs more Malazans though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It might help your appreciation for Midnight Tides to know it happened right around the time of the events in Gardens of the Moon. Letheras has been busy in the meantime and now they're basically an evil Empire backed by the Crippled God, just like the Pamion Domin was.

devin
May 29, 2010

At this point I'm only reading this series so I can reread it and not be mad at it all the time.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen: Better on the reread

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

PlushCow posted:

Before people could afford to make playing cards they used the Tiles that were linked with Holds, like how the Deck of Dragon & its Houses are linked with Warrens. Holds are just a more raw, primordial forms of magical fantasy-land blah blah dimensions I just don't even know. The Letheras continent is just stuck in the past, magically speaking.

Just go with the flow, it's the best advice for these novels.

Also this.

It had nothing to do with what people could afford (pretty sure the first empire from whence the Letherii colony emerged was not poor or anything). Holds are just the precursors of Warrens that have the seeming distinction of having 'evolved' naturally. So they are more primitive and raw, and capable of doing more outright damage but also lacking any structure or finesse.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If I remember right, there's something else going on with the Holds:
Isn't the Letherii continent locked in the past, magically-speaking, due to some massive ice spell that was cast there?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Safety Factor posted:

If I remember right, there's something else going on with the Holds:
Isn't the Letherii continent locked in the past, magically-speaking, due to some massive ice spell that was cast there?

Yeah, Gorthos magic'ed up some stasis with Ometose Phellack that basically set the entire continent out of sync with te rest of the world for centuries. I forget whom he did it for, but he got Scabandari's Finnest in return.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah, Gorthos magic'ed up some stasis with Ometose Phellack that basically set the entire continent out of sync with te rest of the world for centuries. I forget whom he did it for, but he got Scabandari's Finnest in return.

For Mael.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Well that was abrupt (The Bonehunters). Cutter, Scillara, Heboric, and (I think) Felisin Younger all chopped down in a couple of pages. Naturally, I'm not sure if these guys are dead for good or what. It was kind of out of nowhere though. Oh yeah, Greyfrog too. "Dismay. I can hop no more." Brutal.

Also, quick question. I've forgotten what the realm with the Deragoth statues was. It was where On'rack and Trull were messing around, but I don't remember if it's Kurald Emerlahn or something else maybe.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Well that was abrupt (The Bonehunters). Cutter, Scillara, Heboric, and (I think) Felisin Younger all chopped down in a couple of pages. Naturally, I'm not sure if these guys are dead for good or what. It was kind of out of nowhere though. Oh yeah, Greyfrog too. "Dismay. I can hop no more." Brutal.

Also, quick question. I've forgotten what the realm with the Deragoth statues was. It was where On'rack and Trull were messing around, but I don't remember if it's Kurald Emerlahn or something else maybe.

That was, iirc, the Nascent - the realm the Edur flooded to create a shortcut for their ships. That's from memory, though.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 10, 2013

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You're both right. One of the largest fragments of Emurlahn, at least.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for something to read and this is probably the best place to ask.

Can anyone recommend me anything in either sci-fi or fantasy (I'm honestly not picky on this front, it can be any type of sci-fi or fantasy. Doesn't have to be far future, doesn't have to be medieval) that manages to hit the same emotional highs that Erikson manages? Series spoilers follow: I'm specifically looking for books that can strike the same chords as moments such as the sacrifices of Itkovian, Rake and Beak; Gesler's death; Karsa giving comfort to the dying old man to name a few.

I'm probably being picky, but this series has ruined me in some respects as moments like those are what I want from most things I read nowadays. Does anyone know of anything that I could take a look at?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Read Mistborn and Way of Kings. They won't offend your sensibilities judging by the Abercrombie thread, either.

Genre fiction probably isn't the best place to go looking for your emotions to get tugged, though. Even Erikson only manages it a scant few times over 10 books.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Habibi posted:

For Mael.

I forget, why did he want to lock it in the past?

I hope Erikson does more with Tehol and Bugg, I love the antics so much.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kinetica posted:

I forget, why did he want to lock it in the past?

To make sure Scabandari's betrayal and the end of the K'chain wars would never fade from the world, IIRC.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Can anyone recommend me anything in either sci-fi or fantasy (I'm honestly not picky on this front, it can be any type of sci-fi or fantasy. Doesn't have to be far future, doesn't have to be medieval) that manages to hit the same emotional highs that Erikson manages? Series spoilers follow: I'm specifically looking for books that can strike the same chords as moments such as the sacrifices of Itkovian, Rake and Beak; Gesler's death; Karsa giving comfort to the dying old man to name a few.

Does anyone know of anything that I could take a look at?

Guy Gavriel Kay. He might even be better than Erikson at this type of thing, he really knows how to get you emotionally invested and hit those bittersweet notes. The majority of his books are stand alone, and I think his two latest, Under Heaven and River of Stars, are his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hey ya'll, I'm looking for something to read and this is probably the best place to ask.

I'm probably being picky, but this series has ruined me in some respects as moments like those are what I want from most things I read nowadays. Does anyone know of anything that I could take a look at?
Try David Gemmell's Legend, the story of a lonely old warrior who was once a badass, going on to fight in one last (hopeless) battle. If you read the sequels you can also see what happened in that story from the enemy's side as well. Also the Rigante stuff by Gemmell is pretty gripping.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 16, 2013