Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

The Rhas Al Ghul episode is still my favorite, especially his reaction to being kissed by Rhas in Talia's body.

That is also the episode with the amazing Batman musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

That is also the episode with the amazing Batman musical

Did someone say "Batman Musical?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYjGDIWlNw

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Rhyno posted:

The Rhas Al Ghul episode is still my favorite, especially his reaction to being kissed by Rhas in Talia's body.

I was under the impression they did alot more than kiss. Thats such a great reveal when suddenly you hear that Ra's voice come out of nowhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Havoc904 posted:

I was under the impression they did alot more than kiss. Thats such a great reveal when suddenly you hear that Ra's voice come out of nowhere.

After Terry says how creeped out he is Bruce says "You? She kissed me."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The BB talk has me wondering. Did Dini/Timm/McDuffie have plans for JLU before they finished the Beyond series? Or was it just an extension of the Justice League two parter with Starro where they decided, "hey, we have the framework, lets see what we get"?

Not to fanboy sperg too much, but just being able to seamlessly tie BB (and even Zeta and Static) into the JLU series was ridiculous. Hell, they even had Mandragora's son first appear in the Beyond episode with the psychic organization. Those kinds of call-outs and that kind of plot-weaving in a kid's show are never going to happen in our lifetime again, will it?

Edit: spelling

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 18, 2013

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlternateNu posted:

Not to fanboy sperg too much, but just being able to seamlessly tie BB (and even Zeta and Static) into the JLU series was ridiculous. Hell, they even had Mandragora's son first appear in the Beyond episode with the physic organization. Those kinds of call-outs and that kind of plot-weaving in a kid's show are never going to happen in our lifetime again, will it?
It's the equivalent of Johns writing Green Lantern for like 10 years.

If the CN DC Nation fiasco is any indication, we'll have to be happy to settle for competently written plot arcs, much less interconnected series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My only problem with JLU and thus the DCAU as a whole is that it builds this whole great big League at the end, but in Batman Beyond the League is just... gone, reduced to just a handful of people again. I mean, I know why it happened, because BB was made before JL was even greenlit, but it still irks me, especially now that I've been binging on them since they came on Netflix Instant Watch.

VVV: You got me

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 19, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

My only problem with JLU and thus the DCAU as a whole is that it builds this whole great big League at the end, but in Batman Beyond the League is just... gone, reduced to just a handful of people again. I mean, I know why it happened, because BB was made before JL was even greenlit, but it still irks me, especially now that I've been binging on them since they came on Netflix Instant Watch.

They all died during the big war with Ras. There, now the continuity is fixed.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I just want to know what the Near Apocalypse of '09 was. :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I've been watching the first season of Justice League and... it's kinda dumb. I know it gets better, but there are entire episodes that are just really stupid. To give examples, the entire episode that's based around Fury. She tries to kill every man on Earth because of the teachings of the Amazons are very anti-male, however at the end of the episode it's reveal that her life was saved by a man and why did her adoptive mother who taught her all of it never tell her? "Because she didn't think it was important." That just struck me as really :effort: because I know the Amazons are anti-male and Hippolyta especially enforces Themyscira's code, but you'd still think to tell a little girl who saved her life would be important.

There's also the episode featuring the Justice Guild of America. The entire episode is based around Pulp Heroes and how silly they are, but a weird about the entire episode was that there was obviously something up, but nothing really ever pointed to the kid as the character. At the end of the episode it turns out the little kid who's barely been prominent is actually the one controlling the whole thing and is an evil monster guy. So the world is a construct of his own mind as are the JGA. Okay, that's fine, but why is it that when they start beating up on him he can't just poof them away? It's weird.

Really, the only episode I've enjoyed so far is Injustice for All and it's because it's so stupid that I can't help but love it. Basically, Lex Luthor gets kryptonite cancer and makes the Injustice League because he's being dumb. They capture Batman after the Joker shows up and pretty much catches him by himself since he knows Batman so well. However the entire episode is just spent showing how stupid Lex is, it's so drat funny. Batman will literally just gently caress with the entire group the whole episode and Joker who tries to give advice just keeps getting shut down. So whenever anything bad happens to the group Lex just keeps telling him to shut the hell up and Joker goes I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE BATMAN, DOG! It's so stupid, but it's so drat funny.

I know it gets much better, but I was really excited to see JL and it is nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. That being said, Flash, Batman and Hawkgirl are all consistently awesome, so that's nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There's also the episode featuring the Justice Guild of America. The entire episode is based around Pulp Heroes and how silly they are, but a weird about the entire episode was that there was obviously something up, but nothing really ever pointed to the kid as the character. At the end of the episode it turns out the little kid who's barely been prominent is actually the one controlling the whole thing and is an evil monster guy. So the world is a construct of his own mind as are the JGA. Okay, that's fine, but why is it that when they start beating up on him he can't just poof them away? It's weird.

That episode was dedicated to Wally Wood and the plot was designed to pretty much be a ThunderAgents plot. It's a great episode, you are terrible person for not liking it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Season One of JL is easily one of the weakest stretches in the entire DCAU. The entire motto for that season was "it's good enough" while the subsequent season's motto was "good enough isn't good enough." Just stay with it. The season finale is actually quite fun, and then the season opener for Season Two is immediately a vast improvement in nearly every way, especially if you're a fan of Superman TAS.

The only complaint I could ever address is that in the JGA episode, the reason the kid doesn't want to attack the heroes is because they're still his heroes and he doesn't want to give up the fantasy. That's about it. Thank god they didn't use the actual JSA either, since Black Canary and Wildcat get some good episodes later on. A pity we never got Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, or Golden-Age Atom, but whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

The season finale is actually quite fun, and then the season opener for Season Two is immediately a vast improvement in nearly every way, especially if you're a fan of Superman TAS.

Good God yes. I literally watched that one today and it is so loving great. Also, it is just chock full of examples of why Michael Ironside is the most perfect Darkseid ever.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Green Guardsmen/fake Alan Scott saying something along the lines of "You're a credit to your people, boy" to Jon Stewart was actually kind of funny in a horrible way. His "Yeah, uh, thanks" reaction was great too, I think.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omg chael crash posted:

Green Guardsmen/fake anal Scott saying something along the lines of "You're a credit to your people, boy" to Jon Stewart was actually kind of funny in a horrible way. His "Yeah, uh, thanks" reaction was great too, I think.

Yeah that's a little rough. Watch the end of it again, where the Guild turns on Billy and when they attack him they're all so sad but don't stop being heroes for a second even though they know they'll die if they beat him.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Green Guardsmen/fake anal Scott saying something along the lines of "You're a credit to your people, boy" to Jon Stewart was actually kind of funny in a horrible way. His "Yeah, uh, thanks" reaction was great too, I think.

Nice Typo/Auto Correct. I kinda liked the homages and references to other characters they couldn't use, but yeah the series picks up more once the introduction like episodes are out of the way.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Maybe it's because I watched them after I got into the series but I thought "In Blackest Night" and "The Enemy Below" were some of the better season one episodes, they just suffer from having to pad out the first half of the story so the cliffhanger comes at just the right moment. I haven't watched them in years, though, so there's likely some bias on my part.

Season two gives us "Tabula Rasa", "A Better World", "Hereafter", and "Wild Cards" , which blow season one out of the water, though.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I went back to revisit Superman TAS a while ago and man there are some really, really lovely episodes. Don't get me wrong, no cartoon is going to bat a thousand but seriously: go back and watch "Superman's Pal" in season 3 if you have the DVDs. It's maybe one of the most poorly animated cartoons I've ever seen.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Another thing about Green Guardsmen:
Why does he use a bunch of cool constructs and Jon just makes dumb lasers and shields through most of the drat series? Was this an attempt to make his power cooler? Never understood, man.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

omg chael crash posted:

Why does he use a bunch of cool constructs and Jon just makes dumb lasers and shields through most of the drat series? Was this an attempt to make his power cooler? Never understood, man.

Jon is a former soldier, so he is going to use basic stuff that makes sense to him. Its just like in the comics Hal always using green airplane constructs and the such. Although everyone understands giant spatchulas.

Just finished watching the Starcrossed episodes to round out the series (before the jump to Unlimited). Thats such a gripping story, it really is a culmination of everything for the main Justice League members.

Havoc904 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 23, 2013

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Havoc904 posted:

Jon is a former soldier, so he is going to use basic stuff that makes sense to him. Its just like in the comics Hal always using green airplane constructs and the such. Although everyone understands giant spatchulas.

Just finished watching the Starcrossed episodes to round out the series (before the jump to Unlimited). Thats such a gripping story, it really is a culmination of everything for the main Justice League members.

Perhaps, but the comic often notes that Jon makes complex constructs that have every working part and such. Though, I suppose, JL/JLU was pre Johns/Tomasai.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They actually have an episode where Jon gets taken to task for getting lazy with his green lantern constructs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr. Maltose posted:

They actually have an episode where Jon gets taken to task for getting lazy with his green lantern constructs.
I thought it was less lazy, but more less imaginative, Jon is just a very pragmatic guy who likes things simple

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Basically, they wanted animation to be easy. Green Guardsman was a one-off character while GL was in pretty much every episode. Animating complex constructs is obviously more difficult than a generic energy beam or bubble. They change it when JLU rolls around and maybe in season 2 of JL.

Story reasoning was that he was a Marine and pragmatic and energy beams and bubbles get the job done just as well as or better than a boxing glove or whatever.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Endless Mike posted:

Story reasoning was that he was a Marine and pragmatic and energy beams and bubbles get the job done just as well as or better than a boxing glove or whatever.
"YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT ME WITH A BUBBLE?"

"It's a really good bubble."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

omg chael crash posted:

John is boring and terrible, and the Daily Show joke on GL TAS is the only worthwhile reason he exists.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Oh hey Teen Titans Go! starts tonight. It looks kind of cheap but it still might be funny.

I'll probably watch it because I have fond memories of the original.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of liked green lantern powers being limited to geometry because it made more sense to me then seemingly unlimited powers of temporary creation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

John is boring and terrible, and the Daily Show joke on GL TAS is the only worthwhile reason he exists.

He's still more interesting than Hal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Alan Scott pre reboot is still the best Green Lantern :colbert:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

omg chael crash posted:

Perhaps, but the comic often notes that Jon makes complex constructs that have every working part and such. Though, I suppose, JL/JLU was pre Johns/Tomasai.

Comic John is an architect that got retconned into former Marine sniper, rather than just the Marine turned Lantern of the cartoon.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Endless Mike posted:

Hal is a genocidal continuity train wreck, but he's not boring.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignore the Parallax stuff (which was all blamed on an evil space bug) and Hal is really, really boring.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
He was created in a time when most superheroes were the exact same character aside from powers and costumes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm going through the JL episodes again too, and boy is this first season just as bad as I remember. It's probably the worst thing the DCAU ever produced, unless you count The Zeta Project, I guess.

How did the league beat the aliens in the pilot movie? Batman put a box on their ship that "reversed the ion charge." That is the most ridiculous pseudo-science rear end pull ever. I know it's a show for kids, but drat. How is this the same show as season 2 and JLU?

Flash was still always awesome though. <3 Wally

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ToastyPotato posted:

He was created in a time when most superheroes were the exact same character aside from powers and costumes.

Barry Allen was total whitebread, while Hal was the kick rear end space cowboy. Test pilot was as cool as it got back in the early sixties. If he was created a few years later he would've been an astronaut.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
So yeah, Teen Titans. Not bad. It's not a "superhero" show like YJ or JL or even the original Teen Titans was. It's basically feels like an entire show made up of tumblr gif photosets. But with the jokes there were more hits than misses and all the voice actors did a good job. I dunno it's just weird to see the characters again since it hasn't been on TV or anything since like 2006.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There were a lot of weird little background things, like a Darkseid plush toy or a birthday card from Superman.

All in all I thought it was kind of fun, although it is a super "light" show.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

No one told me Dan Hipp designed all the background stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Thinly disguised voice actor jokes

• Locked thread