Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Japanese trailer of The Wolverine is more or less the one we have seen before but with added Japanese voice over and text. Anybody hear understand Japanese? The title is apparently Wolverine: Samurai in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Thor 2 trailer was good but not great. I think I was spoiled by the Superman trailer. The "enemy as old as time itself" stuff is a little tired but if the villains themselves are capable and complex, I'll give it a pass. As for the whole "Why don't the Avengers assemble for this?" I think Thor and the Asgardians probably see this as their problem and are too proud to ask for help anyway. There might be a throwaway line as to why the Avengers don't help in this, but that's all I expect.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I know it doesn't make sense from a studio and contractual/licensing side of things, but I'm going to keep hoping for a quick Spiderman cameo in Avengers 2.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mfaley posted:

I know it doesn't make sense from a studio and contractual/licensing side of things, but I'm going to keep hoping for a quick Spiderman cameo in Avengers 2.

RDJ essentially plays the same snark role that Spiderman played during his stint with the Avengers.

Also Spiderman imo works way better on a street level rather than the large stage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mfaley posted:

There's so much money to be made in cross-promotion that it's ridiculous to think about it, haha. If Fox/Sony managed to put Andrew Garfield and Hugh Jackman into The Avengers 2 as Spider-Man and Wolverine, that would be loving bonkers.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

FooF posted:

Thor 2 trailer was good but not great. I think I was spoiled by the Superman trailer. The "enemy as old as time itself" stuff is a little tired but if the villains themselves are capable and complex, I'll give it a pass. As for the whole "Why don't the Avengers assemble for this?" I think Thor and the Asgardians probably see this as their problem and are too proud to ask for help anyway. There might be a throwaway line as to why the Avengers don't help in this, but that's all I expect.

That and the Avengers are Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Not Asgard's. They have a vested interest in the protection of Earth, but the scope really doesn't carry much outside that. (Thor, obviously, feels this same connection as he feels responsible for introducing interstellar war to Earth).

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Pretty excited to see Thor team up with Tommy Wiseau in the new movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

More like a skinny version of Peter Steele.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Dexo posted:

RDJ essentially plays the same snark role that Spiderman played during his stint with the Avengers.

Also Spiderman imo works way better on a street level rather than the large stage.

I agree somewhat. Though I am admittedly unfamiliar with any story line in the last fifteen years, I would still say that Tony Stark is acting very much as the focal point of the Avengers (in respect to the first one, I mean), so there is still some space for a wise-rear end. I could just SO see a Spiderman cameo like Wolverine's in First Class. Just maybe a quick web sling to save someones life, he cracks a joke, and swings off. Enough to get the audience to go wild.

Like teagone said, it would be such a revenue driver. On the other hand, I know studio's are notoriously inflexible, so the likeliness of it happening is zero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mfaley posted:

I agree somewhat. Though I am admittedly unfamiliar with any story line in the last fifteen years, I would still say that Tony Stark is acting very much as the focal point of the Avengers (in respect to the first one, I mean), so there is still some space for a wise-rear end. I could just SO see a Spiderman cameo like Wolverine's in First Class. Just maybe a quick web sling to save someones life, he cracks a joke, and swings off. Enough to get the audience to go wild.

Like teagone said, it would be such a revenue driver. On the other hand, I know studio's are notoriously inflexible, so the likeliness of it happening is zero.

It would also be a completely useless scene for no reason other than fan service. I doubt Avengers 2 is going to be shorter than Avengers and that movie was already too long, so there is no real benefit. The Wolverine cameo in First Class is part of a montage of recruiting mutants and it's likely that not everyone they approach will sign on, so it makes sense from that perspective, it also ties the film into the other X-Men movies, which is important if you want to maintain a sense of continuity, since the entire cast is different. Also it, and I have no idea if they were planning on making a Days of Future Past movie when they made First Class, makes it easier to do a sequel with two different actors playing Xavier and Magneto in different time lines.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mfaley posted:

That sounds like a groaner.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All I care about for Thor 2 is that Loki dies in it. Because then we can get Thor 3: Journey Into Darkness with Kid Loki.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 24, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Terrible Horse posted:

That sounds like a groaner.

Yeah, what does he do? Make a big grand entrance in the final fight and then realize he left the oven on so swings home after his cameo?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The best way for other superheros to have cameos that don't suck is for them to be in the news somehow in a totally unrelated way - a headline or an anchorman in the background talking about events in some other city.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Man there's a lot of blockbusters taking place in London lately.

Well it has the Doctor in it, of course it'll be in London. :v:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

mfaley posted:

This is precisely why Sony is clinging to the rights. Nobody in that building wants to be the guy who let Spider-Man get away and watch Marvel make 20 trillion dollars off "Spider-Man Meets The Avengers".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hollywood can work different. I remember reading about Microsoft coming into Hollywood and throwing their weight around trying to pit the studios against each other demanding huge concessions and percentages until all studios bowed out but 2 and those two had the execs meet over lunch and agree that one would get international distribution and the other domestic (or something like that) and completely took away Microsoft's leverage also killing the Halo movie.

If Disney and Sony agree to something like one has domestic and one has international who knows. It just takes some forward thinking individuals to go "We all could make oodles of money so let's work it out." But, as you say, odds are no one wants some gently caress up to happen and be responsible for losing out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Benne posted:

This is precisely why Sony is clinging to the rights. Nobody in that building wants to be the guy who let Spider-Man get away and watch Marvel make 20 trillion dollars off "Spider-Man Meets The Avengers".

Why does no one want to be the guy that signs a deal with Marvel to split the profits off a "spiderman meets the avengers"?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Away all Goats posted:

Why does no one want to be the guy that signs a deal with Marvel to split the profits off a "spiderman meets the avengers"?

I feel like that would be a never ending lawsuit. With how terrible studios are at paying their own people, I wonder how much of a clusterfuck it would be for them to sort out going even-steven on a movie like that. Maybe establish a third production company.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Why would anyone even want to see the cluster gently caress that is the X-Men movie universe or the tonally incompatible Spider-man universe co-exist with each other/Marvel's venture?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Studios won't co-operate because they basically hate each other.
Look at the Adam West Batman TV series, still not available on DVD. That show would ABSOLUTELY rake in the cash, but because WB & Fox can't agree on the rights, it languishes in limbo.
Studios want all or nothing, 50/50 arrangements means their opponents get a cut and they can't stand that.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Marvel got back Daredevil, so maybe we'll get a new one!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could Carnahan legally shop his same pitch to Marvel?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
This has no relevance to any of the current conversations, but I was digging through some old comics tonight and now I'm seriously praying for them to make a movie from The Tick. I think now is the time.

spoon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

schwenz posted:

This has no relevance to any of the current conversations, but I was digging through some old comics tonight and now I'm seriously praying for them to make a movie from The Tick. I think now is the time.

spoon

Only if Warburton reprises the role OR!!! if they give it to The Rock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

I feel like that would be a never ending lawsuit. With how terrible studios are at paying their own people, I wonder how much of a clusterfuck it would be for them to sort out going even-steven on a movie like that. Maybe establish a third production company.

Aren't there still lawsuits going over Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

scary ghost dog posted:

Only if Warburton reprises the role OR!!! if they give it to The Rock.

Seeing those pics from Pain and Gain, the Rock may actually be anatomically equal to how The Tick is drawn. They wouldn't even need to beef up his suit.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

All I care about for Thor 2 is that Loki dies in it. Because then we can get Thor 3: Journey Into Darkness with Kid Loki.

Hiddleston apparently loved Kid Loki. I don't think there would be any child actor that could pull it off. Just give Kid Loki's personality to Hiddleston and I bet he can pull it off.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Codependent Poster posted:

Hiddleston apparently loved Kid Loki. I don't think there would be any child actor that could pull it off. Just give Kid Loki's personality to Hiddleston and I bet he can pull it off.

I think Asa Butterfield would be pretty good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I think eventually they are going to tackle a redemption arc for Loki and using the Kid Loki plot, but maintaining Tom Hiddleston (the main reason I watch the Marvel films) would be a really good idea for it - it's suitably cosmic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does anyone have a link to any news stories or could explain a little bit more in depth about the different properties marvel license out. From what i understand Spider Man has 6 movies isn't that correct?

I mean eventually the rights will come back to Marvel right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollis posted:

I mean eventually the rights will come back to Marvel right?

Some day far in the future maybe. I think they have the franchise as long as they keep making movies. There was a new deal done a few years ago that I think is set up like the Fox X-Men deal.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 24, 2013

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Some day far in the future maybe. I think they have the franchise as long as they keep making movies. There was a new deal done a few years ago that I think is set up like the Fox X-Men deal.

Which is what, exactly?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Doflamingo posted:

Which is what, exactly?

Marvel made these deals way back when they were either in or near-bankruptcy. Basically, as long as the studios make movies within a certain time frame, they retain the rights to keep making movies.

Edit: As far as the Fox deal, I thought Disney just got back animation rights.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gatts posted:

Hollywood can work different. I remember reading about Microsoft coming into Hollywood and throwing their weight around trying to pit the studios against each other demanding huge concessions and percentages until all studios bowed out but 2 and those two had the execs meet over lunch and agree that one would get international distribution and the other domestic (or something like that) and completely took away Microsoft's leverage also killing the Halo movie.

If Disney and Sony agree to something like one has domestic and one has international who knows. It just takes some forward thinking individuals to go "We all could make oodles of money so let's work it out." But, as you say, odds are no one wants some gently caress up to happen and be responsible for losing out.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit happened.

Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse shared screentime for the first time ever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit happened.

Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse shared screentime for the first time ever.

It's not going to happen because Avengers 2 will make an enormous ton of money with or without Spider-Man in it. From a financial point of view you're forking over a wodge of the profits of your biggest film of the year to one of your business competitors for no reason.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Lobok posted:

Roger Rabbit is the one reason why I think its remotely possible that a crossover could happen by Avenges 3.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Pretty excited to see Thor team up with Tommy Wiseau in the new movie.

Am I the only one who saw this screenshot and thought "Skrillex?"

feedmyleg posted:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fangirls on Tumblr suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Has it been mentioned that Fox are apparently looking to do a shared universe in some capacity with the Fantastic Four reboot and future X-Men movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

*shudder*, that reeks of an executive looking at the Avengers' profits and saying "gently caress what can we do that's like that?" I don't know how it'd be any good, as the FF and X-Men don't work that well together, and there's very little reason for them to intersect beyond "WORLD IN PERIL WORLD IN PERIL" crap.

• Locked thread