Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
HELLS loving YES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I've spent the last few days listening to China Radio International, BBC, Deutsche Welle, Voice of America, ABC Australia and trying but not really succeeding at listening to Voice of Korea (interference and really bad tone) with my FT-747GX. Just a 5 meter whip antenna and I can receive the world!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I picked up my Conet Project re-issue last saturday :3:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

biglads posted:

I picked up my Conet Project re-issue last saturday :3:

I got mine yesterday in the mail :cool:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can you still download the whole thing for free like in the past?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

thehustler posted:

Can you still download the whole thing for free like in the past?

http://gog.is/conet/project/free/download

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Cool article in the Washington Post the other day about a spy for Cuba that used shortwave and numbers stations in her work.

link

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Bought a G3 from amazon for $94.87. I've always been curious about those old weird radios with the huge spectrum, and scanners. It should be here on Wednesday and I guess I'll turn it on and see wth. I'll probably be building a magloop antenna after that because well it seems cool and it's in the op so it has to be good. I have a friend that is a HAM in a different state and it would be cool to eventually get into that.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Accursed posted:

Cool article in the Washington Post the other day about a spy for Cuba that used shortwave and numbers stations in her work.

link

Fascinating read. Thanks for that.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I'm making a long wire antenna for my attic.

The instructions say 50' to 75'. Would it matter if I use 100ft?
I'm looking at 18AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable for $10.41 on monoprice.

When I connect the ends to a connector can I just use any ole 3.5mm plug I have laying around?

Those plugs have two connections in them, should I just bridge and solder everything to the same path, or seperate the two wires to the two connections on the plug?

Also, should I use a balun like this one:
http://www.winradio.com/home/lwa.htm

Thanks.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The thing about longwires is that the length optimizes it for a certain range of wavelengths. 100ft puts you into territory better used for MW. Best to use the recommended length.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Citycop posted:

I'm making a long wire antenna for my attic.

The instructions say 50' to 75'. Would it matter if I use 100ft?
I'm looking at 18AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable for $10.41 on monoprice.

Like AstroZamboni said, in this case longer wouldn't be better. However, you might want to consider getting that 100 ft. run and splitting it in two to make a second longwire running perpendicular to the first one to catch signals in the opposite direction. A longwire with the end points north and south will pick up signals coming from the east and west. Running a second one east to west will get you signals coming from the north and south. That or you could make a dipole antenna with less than 100 ft. of wire and have something a little more balanced.

Also, the antenna jack on the Grundigs are attenuated to prevent overloading. They also can't take a super powerful antenna, so you might want to limit that longwire to around 30 ft. If you do want a longer one, you might want to try connecting an alligator clip to one end and attaching the longwire to the extendable antenna with that.

quote:

When I connect the ends to a connector can I just use any ole 3.5mm plug I have laying around?

Those plugs have two connections in them, should I just bridge and solder everything to the same path, or seperate the two wires to the two connections on the plug?

Yes you can use any plug lying around, but you have to make sure you're using the wire that connects to the tip of the plug. Just tape off or cut off the wire for the ground. That or run up to RadioShack and pick up a mono plug for a couple of bucks to eliminate the guesswork.

quote:

Also, should I use a balun like this one:
http://www.winradio.com/home/lwa.htm

I would try the antenna without a balun and see what kind of signal you get. A balun like that would knock out some interference and probably net you some gain, but then you'd need to make or build a feed line to go from the BNC connector to a 3.5mm plug. Whether you make one or cobble something together using adapters, you're adding in connections. Every time you add in a new connection point, you lose some signal.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

I've had two cheap handheld SW receivers for a couple years and love them. Lately, I've been wanting to record some of the things I hear digitally for a noise project, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I played around with a program called fldigi, but it seems designed for transceivers and assumes a technical competence I admittedly do not have.

Of course, I know there are online receivers, but I was kind of looking to use my handheld so as to record what I'm getting through my handhelds and all the strange interference. Any idea how I could do that? Is there any such program that can capture SW in real-time? I imagine there's got to be a better way than holding a microphone next to the radio.

(Apologies if this has been answered already. I read the OP and skimmed the first and last pages of the thread - 3 years and she's become a big beasty)

Dicere fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 12, 2013

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Dicere posted:

I've had two cheap handheld SW receivers for a couple years and love them. Lately, I've been wanting to record some of the things I hear digitally for a noise project, but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

I played around with a program called fldigi, but it seems designed for transceivers and assumes a technical competence I admittedly do not have.

Of course, I know there are online receivers, but I was kind of looking to use my handheld so as to record what I'm getting through my handhelds and all the strange interference. Any idea how I could do that? Is there any such program that can capture SW in real-time? I imagine there's got to be a better way than holding a microphone next to the radio.

(Apologies if this has been answered already. I read the OP and skimmed the first and last pages of the thread - 3 years and she's become a big beasty)

Try Audacity. It may have a bit of a learning curve, but you can't beat the amount of powerful tools it offers for free.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Ah ha. Had the wrong inputs selected in Audacity. There was my problem.

Yeah, I use Audacity a lot, and yeah, there's a learning curve.

Dicere fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 12, 2013

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Is an SDR receiver overkill for Shortwave listening? Because I just stumbled onto the fact that USB TV tuners based on the Realtek RTL2832U or E4000 chip could be a SDR?!

http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/06/getting-started-with-rtl-sdr/

Citycop fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 13, 2013

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
It isn't overkill since you get features like the spectrum that are normally only found in $10000 HF transceivers, but it won't you much good for HF since it's limited to at best 30 MHz, just above the top edge of the shortwave bands.
Get one to listen to air-band, Business Band VHF, marine VHF if you're near a harbor, police radio and such, there's even some progress towards decoding GSM cellphone traffic. Be aware that it has essentially no input filtering which means you'll very often hear strong signals on the "wrong" frequency, sometimes even hundreds of MHz off.

I think there are some other solutions for SDR on HF bands, but they are far more expensive so you might be better off buying a decent radio instead.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Dicere posted:

If you want to decode digital signals, just change modes in the "Op Mode" menu and click on signals in the waterfall. Since you don't have transceiver control, you might go to the waterfall configuration and hook off "Always show audio frequencies". Also select View > Controls > None, so you won't waste screen space on the rig control and logging stuff that you don't have.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

longview posted:

I think there are some other solutions for SDR on HF bands, but they are far more expensive so you might be better off buying a decent radio instead.

If you're handy with a soldering iron the SoftRock RX Ensemble II receiver kit is $70 and covers the ham bands.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

MisterOblivious posted:

If you're handy with a soldering iron the SoftRock RX Ensemble II receiver kit is $70 and covers the ham bands.

The chances of me building that and actually getting it working are pretty slim. I was especially discouraged when it started talking about winding the coils yourself and the requirement for at least 3x magnification for soldering the smd's.

I'm seriously considering returning my G3 as I become increasingly convinced the external antenna jack is broken. Anything I plug into it kills the reception. I created a 50 foot long line last night and hung it up outisde and connected it to the external antenna spot. The reception went DOWN, but connecting it to the onboard antenna netted a very very small increase in reception. I also tried connecting a standard TV antenna with the two extendables and the loop in the middle. That also killed reception. Maybey I am just terrible at making antennas.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 13, 2013

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I had very similar experiences with long wires and I thought the antenna jack was broken as a result.

That all changed when I built the magnetic loop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

longview posted:

It isn't overkill since you get features like the spectrum that are normally only found in $10000 HF transceivers, but it won't you much good for HF since it's limited to at best 30 MHz, just above the top edge of the shortwave bands.

There are some reasonably priced DIY/kit/commercial upconverters and IIRC certain models with specific tuners can be modified to tune down to DC.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Citycop posted:

The chances of me building that and actually getting it working are pretty slim. I was especially discouraged when it started talking about winding the coils yourself and the requirement for at least 3x magnification for soldering the smd's.

Meh, winding inductors isn't so bad. I'm not sure why ham guys make such a big deal 'bout it. Then again, my first job out of highschool was an inductor/transformer manufacturer.

SMT might be a pain but there's more than one way to skin that cat. There are ways to solder every component at the same time at home. Keep in mind that a lotta hams are half blind elderly men. We're talking about a hobby where the average age is in the 50's.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Well I'm sending the Grundig back to Amazon today for a full refund, they are good like that. On the RMA I just quoted the "external antenna port does not work properly". I can tell that the G3 is just not going to be enough for me and at the price point it's at I don't want it gathering dust. I don't really want anything portable anyway, I want features, and most importantly, a more robust antenna input. I'll be ordering a Aferdi SDR-Net shortly as it seems to be the only decent assembled sub $300 SDR option. Also I can use an ethernet cable to connect it right at the input to my longwire in the attic and not run it near any electrical wires.

I have 100' of 18awg speaker wire that I plan on splitting into two wires, for two 100' long wires like this:

What is the best way to splice the two wires into the coax antenna input? Is there some sort of connector that I can screw into a splitter then into the coax?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Citycop posted:

You have to remember that the average age of the ham who's building one of these kits is approximately 600 years old, so anything smaller than the size of the moon is "tiny" (but "I don't need glasses!"). I built one of their kits years ago, and even though I never finished it, I got far enough to see that the SMD parts aren't that small and that they tell you step-by-step how to wind the transformers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citycop posted:

Well I'm sending the Grundig back to Amazon today for a full refund, they are good like that. On the RMA I just quoted the "external antenna port does not work properly". I can tell that the G3 is just not going to be enough for me and at the price point it's at I don't want it gathering dust. I don't really want anything portable anyway, I want features, and most importantly, a more robust antenna input. I'll be ordering a Aferdi SDR-Net shortly as it seems to be the only decent assembled sub $300 SDR option. Also I can use an ethernet cable to connect it right at the input to my longwire in the attic and not run it near any electrical wires.

I have 100' of 18awg speaker wire that I plan on splitting into two wires, for two 100' long wires like this:

What is the best way to splice the two wires into the coax antenna input? Is there some sort of connector that I can screw into a splitter then into the coax?

Cleanest and quickest way would to be like a 3 foot jumper cable with the connector you want on one end (don't care about the other end), cut off the other end, strip the coax and get your wires connected up and insulated. One wire to the braid, one wire to the center.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

It's 1:36 am in the Midwest. It's thunderstorming. And, after a year of casually (very casually) listening to shortwave, I have finally heard a number station. It's a series of numbers in Spanish followed by what sounds like a data burst. It has been going for like a half hour now.

Band 5 - 12.12 MHz.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That sure sounds like v02. If your radio is hooked up to your pc, try recording it. The digital burst mode they use is called RDFT and I'd love some more opportunities to try to decode them.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

I've got it on .mp3, but I don't have premium, so how would you like to make the exchange?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
If you can put it up on SoundCloud or something, I'll take a listen when I get home.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
If you have broadband, a format like AIFF would be better I think, since MP3 inherently tries to accomodate the human ear in its compression and some data modes might not compress well.

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005

Here's the link to the file I mentioned. I'm going to play around DIGTRX tonight to see what I can do with it.

https://soundcloud.com/maltster/numbers-more

I'll remember the format in the future. Had I been more awake and not more-than-a-little creeped out, I would have saved it as an audacity project.

All of the other stuff I use audacity for gets saved as an .mp3 and so it was sort of a force of habit kind of thing.

Dicere fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 17, 2013

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Possibly no one cares, but I have been intrigued by RTTY since I found it. This is a recording I did of DWD. It's 50 baud RTTY I was able to decod with MultiPSK

11039 kHz Deutscher Wetterdienst (DWD), the German Weather Service 5/19/2013 @ 23:50 hours
https://soundcloud.com/texasnewbie/11039-khz-deutscher

A sample of the output looks like:
code:
RZRYRYKYRYRYRYRYRYRY
RYRYRYRYRYRYRHRY
RYRYRYRTRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY

VQ CQ CQ DE DDH47 =9 DDHLI

FREQUENCIES   147.3 KMZ  11039 KQZ  14467.3 KHZMYRYQYRYRYRTRYRYRYRYRYRRYRYRYRYRY
YRYRYRYRYRYRRYRXRYRYRYRY

CQ DE DH479$$#9 D8

WNCIES  ME KHZ LQQPEO KHZ   14467. =(#+

RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRZRYRY
HRXRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY

ZCZC 05     

WODL45 EDZW 200300

STROVVWINALE STORMWARNPNGS FOR SEA AREAS:

GERMAN BIGHT, WESTERN ANEUTHERN BALTIC9
GEMAN BIGHT:
NO WANINLM
WESTERN BALTICCANO WARNING.
SOUTHERNDALTILNNO WARNING.
CTETAL AREA W4 ,@33STARKWIND, STUJVWARNUNGEN FUER DEUTSVHE KUETEN.
NR. 22
AUFHEBUNG / =.3)$7,@ 3''33235534$83,'53' #-9+
FUER DIE DSTSCHE NORDEEKUESVERAUSGEGTEN AM ONNTTLN DEN 19.05.2013 UM 05:15 IHR Z
FUER DIE DEUT NOREKUESTE BEFTEHT KEINE WIND- ODER
STURMWARNUNG.
NR. 206
AUFHEBUNG / MELDE DZS SEEWETTERDIENSTEMBURG
FUER DIE DEUTSCHE OSTSEEKUESTE
HERAUSGEGEBEN AM SONNTAG, DEN 19.5.2013 UM1
I also found out how to record the output of the windows direct sound driver through an updated sound card driver that supported stereo mixing friggin awesome.

also Wefax is cool as poo poo I'm getting weather maps off 7881.03 kHz with Fldigi!

Citycop fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 20, 2013

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I use 10100.8 kHz as a test station since it's always transmitting and pretty much always loud and clear. I used SeaTTY to decode, but never could get the Fax option to work.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Six years. This thread has been active for six years. Jesus Penis, we all need to get lives.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Considering the decline in shortwave broadcasting that may happen sooner than you think.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

nmfree posted:

Considering the decline in shortwave broadcasting that may happen sooner than you think.
Man, don't even joke about that, I've been listening since around 83 or so (I was a fairly nerdy child, and now I'm old) and every year there's just a little less and a little less, it's sad.

That said, why don't you guys look into Amateur (Ham) Radio?
I don't dig some of the old fart goofiness that goes on (like the OMG TEOTWAWKI EMCOMM bullshit) but over all the years, the mystique of talking to random people in far off places over these mysterious 'things' in the air has never really gone away, and that's mostly what drew me to SWL in the first place (I grew up in the rural south, CB was a way of life well into the 90s).

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Flipping through Netflix "The Numbers Station" movie is available now. It never even came to theaters here, maybe going straight to Netflix is a sign of the movie's quality. I'll still watch it though because it deals with shortwave/number stations damnit!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I watched it yesterday. I've been waiting fifteen years for some filmmaker to get wise and make a spy thriller about number stations. When it finally happened, it was really kinda pretty bad.

A person actually reading numbers into a microphone? A number transmission only five digits long?

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't see how anyone who saw the trailer could see that movie as anything other than a color-by-numbers action movie.

e: unintentional pun

• Locked thread