Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of tariffs, there's one key thing that all these new players should know: the tariff slider has no impact on your POPs' purchasing decisions whatsoever! POPs will ALWAYS buy domestically first, even if your tariff slider is at -100%!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of tariffs, there's one key thing that all these new players should know: the tariff slider has no impact on your POPs' purchasing decisions whatsoever! POPs will ALWAYS buy domestically first, even if your tariff slider is at -100%!

Thank you very much for this. How do people know all this? Just experimenting or is there an up to date wiki/manual somewhere?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can kind of do that by setting a big tariff but also allowing industry to pull from your stockpile. Just set stockpiles for goods you want to subsidize, non subsidized things at 0. Obviously won't work 100% as military goods have to be stockpiled regardless.
Didn't HoD remove selling from stockpile?

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Didn't HoD remove selling from stockpile?

HoD did remove the toggle, but as far as I understand that just means you're automatically selling from the stockpile.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

V2 AHD: What are these little marks on the warscore display that I've circled? My guess would be targets for war goals but I can't get a tooltip or something to explain.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

A Violence Gang posted:

V2 AHD: What are these little marks on the warscore display that I've circled? My guess would be targets for war goals but I can't get a tooltip or something to explain.

Yeah.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks. I'm also curious about adding a war goal of my own -- I'm Sweden in 1841, allied with Prussia and thought maybe I could piggyback on what's been successful so far to snag some of Finland from enemy Russia. But that's greyed out with "the war is not going well enough". How does that work; could I realistically accomplish anything? Obviously Russia is far superior but I've done fine against the meager force they've sent my way so far. (Again, vanilla AHD, not HoD.)

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
You can only add goals if the current warscore is in your favour, and in a democracy if there's enough popular support for Jingoism.

In the case of wars between alliance blocks, it may only be considering the warscore between you and Russia directly, the one which would factor into getting yourself a separate peace deal. Win some fights and grab some land for yourself and see if it tips things in your direction.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A_Raving_Loon posted:

You can only add goals if the current warscore is in your favour, and in a democracy if there's enough popular support for Jingoism.

I think jingoism % is necessary for any political system. My Absolute Monarch couldn't add a wargoal in HoD until I got my jingoism up to 6.9%.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OK, makes sense. Moot cause the war ended like a month later, Prussia having reached its target to liberate... something I don't even remember. Whatever, I'm sure it was a good cause my Swedes died for.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh man, Engineers are the best now! They just make siegeing provinces sooooo much faster and more efficient, it's absolutely unbelievable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DerLeo posted:

As far as I know, there's no way, just one single tariff slider - which really is just silly, huge amounts of industrial policy revolved around what to tax.

I think its a bigger issue that tariffs only ever affect your POPs buying goods - it'd be a hell of a thing if a civilized China could turn into the world's producer of everything, impose massive tariffs on everyone, and watch as the world burns in revolutions from unfulfilled POPs.

DrSunshine posted:

Oh man, Engineers are the best now! They just make siegeing provinces sooooo much faster and more efficient, it's absolutely unbelievable.

Also make sure you have at least 2 Hussars and your armies are 13 brigades strong to maximize province siege speed.

And for that one guy who was asking about how to make rebels weaker, there's a line in defines.lua for BASE_MILITARY_TACTICS that you can change. It's set to 1.50 / 150% tactics by default, so I guess you just lower that to make rebels and uncivs easier to kill.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
A word of advice, if you've used the "goods" cheat then don't allow your PoPs and factories to buy from your stockpile. I found this out the hard way when I discovered that I was the top producer of all of the world's manufactured goods despite having a low industrial score. That and every country in the world was starting to suffer from revolutions. Anyway, apparently opening your stockpile filled with ill-gotten goods floods the world market, making everything insanely cheap and basically destroying the economy. So yeah.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain the difference between a Colony and a Dominion in terms of how much control and/or economic benefit you have from them?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone explain the difference between a Colony and a Dominion in terms of how much control and/or economic benefit you have from them?

You no longer get direct profit from RGO's with a colony, but you still get first dibs on the goods for your factories etc., and can control their military. It's not necessarily the entirely best choice, but it's a good way to help keep administrative and militancy costs low.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Bastastic posted:

HoD did remove the toggle, but as far as I understand that just means you're automatically selling from the stockpile.
But it's a stockpile :psyduck:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, just got a quick (hopefully, anyway!) question for you all, in regards to vanilla CK2 + expansions. So, can anyone tell me how I can switch the primary holding in a county to be the city? Since I remember it being a fairly simple process at release, where you'd just need to own the current primary holding and the city in question, so that you can then switch the primary holding to be the city, in the county info screen. But yeah, I can't seem to do that anymore, sadly. Am I missing some hopefully minor change in how to do this, or am I just forgetting something? Since yeah, I would like to be able to play as the Most Titular Republic of the Isle of Man! :D (or somewhere similar, up north)

Thanks

EDIT: I suppose I should add that after changing the primary holding, I intend on creating a vassal in both the city - now the primary holding - as well as the other barony, then releasing the mayor/grand mayor/whatever with the rest of the county being under his control, then saving and reloading as him.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 24, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
For Victoria 2, is there any way to increase non-factory production, besides new technologies?

As Brazil, I suddenly had the bottom dropping out of my budget and when I checked, it turned out that I was suddenly pumping over 150 £ in subsidiaries onto my fabric factories. I have zero idea why, and the trade menu didn't actually indicated any huge price increase, but my best guess is that my domestic cotton production isn't enough and that they have to pay a lot to buy from the global market, as there is always a huge demand for cotton. I am not in the sphere of any Great Power and my tariff is only around 3%, so I don't now what other reason there could be.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Major Isoor posted:

Hey guys, just got a quick (hopefully, anyway!) question for you all, in regards to vanilla CK2 + expansions. So, can anyone tell me how I can switch the primary holding in a county to be the city? Since I remember it being a fairly simple process at release, where you'd just need to own the current primary holding and the city in question, so that you can then switch the primary holding to be the city, in the county info screen. But yeah, I can't seem to do that anymore, sadly. Am I missing some hopefully minor change in how to do this, or am I just forgetting something? Since yeah, I would like to be able to play as the Most Titular Republic of the Isle of Man! :D (or somewhere similar, up north)

Thanks

EDIT: I suppose I should add that after changing the primary holding, I intend on creating a vassal in both the city - now the primary holding - as well as the other barony, then releasing the mayor/grand mayor/whatever with the rest of the county being under his control, then saving and reloading as him.

So you currently hold a castle and a city there in your personal demesne? Create a mayor in the city, then grant that mayor the title to the county. That'll make his city the primary holding there. You'll need to grant him a Duchy title too, because county-level mayors aren't considered merchant republics and thus aren't playable.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I'm playing the New Nations Mod for V2 HoD and can't figure out how forming Italy works. I'm Sardinia-Piedmont. I'm in France's sphere and allied to them. I have the State & Govt tech, neither me nor France nor Austria is engaged in a war. But, the decision that gives you cores on Lombardy and makes France attack Austria doesn't seem to work right. I get the cores, but literally immediately after unpausing France accepts a white peace from Austria. I've tried it with Austria at peace, Austria at war, Austria-Hungary at peace, waited for a few years, and in general everything I could imagine that might have some effect but none of it makes any difference. Austria asks for a white peace and gets it on day 1.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Dammit UK, there was no loving reason for you to join that war except to make it impossible for me to accomplish my wargoal. Next war we have, you aren't going to lose one piddling little colony I promise you that! :mad:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm trying to write an event in Vicky 2 that would take a every province a country owns, strip all the cores from it, and then give a core to the controller. I'm trying to create a decision for China to remove all of its extra cores once it reunifies. Only problem is that I can't find the right scope that would let me remove all the cores.

I've tried

code:
	add_cores = { 
		alert = no 
		potential = { ai = no }
		allow = { } 
		effect = { 
			any_owned = { remove_core any_country }
			any_owned = { add_core THIS }
		} 
		ai_will_do = { factor = 0 } 
	}
and also tried

code:
any_owned = { any_core = { remove_core = THIS } }
and

code:
any_owned = { any_country = { any_core = { remove_core = THIS } } }
Nothing. Very frustrating.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kersch posted:

So you currently hold a castle and a city there in your personal demesne? Create a mayor in the city, then grant that mayor the title to the county. That'll make his city the primary holding there. You'll need to grant him a Duchy title too, because county-level mayors aren't considered merchant republics and thus aren't playable.

Ah, alright cool thanks, I'll try that out after. Although, will giving the mayor control over a duchy he doesn't own all the counties of (that is, that there are counts controlling counties underneath him, rather than minor feudal lords/baronies) create issues with his vassals? Since will they all want to rise up and claim it from him, or will they be fine with some lowborn merchant controlling the duchy?

Oh also, how can I get it so that all the major houses in the republic own a city each? Should I just give the mayor four other cities as vassals - which would hopefully allocate each of the families a city, so they have more than their mansion - or will I need to do a bit of fiddling around to get that to work?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, alright cool thanks, I'll try that out after. Although, will giving the mayor control over a duchy he doesn't own all the counties of (that is, that there are counts controlling counties underneath him, rather than minor feudal lords/baronies) create issues with his vassals? Since will they all want to rise up and claim it from him, or will they be fine with some lowborn merchant controlling the duchy?

Oh also, how can I get it so that all the major houses in the republic own a city each? Should I just give the mayor four other cities as vassals - which would hopefully allocate each of the families a city, so they have more than their mansion - or will I need to do a bit of fiddling around to get that to work?
The merchant republic mayor will have a pretty minor opinion penalty with the feudal counts under him, maybe -5 or -10. It shouldn't cause much of a problem. As for giving the other patricians cities to hold - you could, but I don't think it'll stay in their family beyond the life of the character you grant it to. Trade posts and mansions will give the other families plenty of income once they get rolling.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fister Roboto posted:

Wait, are you sure? How was this found out? And if this is so, is there any real point to tariffs as a tool of economic control given that the main reason why anyone would ever raise tariffs (to protect internal industries) doesn't exist?

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

PopetasticPerson posted:

I'm playing the New Nations Mod for V2 HoD and can't figure out how forming Italy works. I'm Sardinia-Piedmont. I'm in France's sphere and allied to them. I have the State & Govt tech, neither me nor France nor Austria is engaged in a war. But, the decision that gives you cores on Lombardy and makes France attack Austria doesn't seem to work right. I get the cores, but literally immediately after unpausing France accepts a white peace from Austria. I've tried it with Austria at peace, Austria at war, Austria-Hungary at peace, waited for a few years, and in general everything I could imagine that might have some effect but none of it makes any difference. Austria asks for a white peace and gets it on day 1.

I'm guessing that the decision doesn't add a war goal to the declaration of war and thus the war ends automatically. Dig up the decision file and add a wargoal to fix it.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2013/04/interview-paradox-interactive-on.html

The most surprising thing about this interview: Someone's favorite paradox game is Sengoku.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

PopetasticPerson posted:

This seems to be a bug with NNM. I also had a crisis-war white peace instantly and I was even the leader of my side (and white peace was my loss condition too).

Also: yesss, just barely managed to build enough dreadnoughts before the game ended.

Poor Australia; the game just didn't last long enough. My first NNM game. And the last, for now, due to the above peace bug and another where crises lead to the release of a country without the country actually being released. Happened with Syria over and over.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
How badly did Russia get beaten that it's being pushed out of GP status by Australia :psyduck:

I like how China, India and Japan are all GPs, gently caress you Europe, Asia wins this time round.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Hey, at least they sphere'd Norway for that sweet sweet oil.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this is a dumb "read the thread" question. But is Vicky 2 now at the Crusader Kings / EU3 level yet of easy recommendation with all the addons?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

How badly did Russia get beaten that it's being pushed out of GP status by Australia :psyduck:

I like how China, India and Japan are all GPs, gently caress you Europe, Asia wins this time round.

Russia pretty frequently loses great power status to some fairly minor players in my games. It tends to lag behind in tech and industrialisation eventually reaching a point where its large manpower won't make up for its backwardness and ends up getting beaten up by Germany. Kinda like in real life actually.

Edit:

LordPants posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb "read the thread" question. But is Vicky 2 now at the Crusader Kings / EU3 level yet of easy recommendation with all the addons?

Not quite, it's good fun but not without some caveats, basically the good thing about Vicky 2 is that you can play it without understanding the nuts and bolts of it and just paying attention to the big picture, but it will start to feel a bit shallow at that level and when you decide to challenge that by getting into the mechanics it gets extremely overwhelming pretty fast. At least that's my experience, I'm still fairly new to it.

I'm not saying it's not a good game, but it probably isn't for everyone.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 24, 2013

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

RabidWeasel posted:

This seems fairly common, even in the unmodded game. Russia gets knocked about a lot and Australia ends up with quite a decent industry and large navy by the end of the game.

More notable might be the complete lack of France or Austria anywhere near the top. They got balkanized pretty badly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I kinda wish Great War Capitulations had more political effects on the country that loses. In my Scandinavia game, the first Great War was a real whopper: me, UK, Prussia, Italy versus Austria, Russia, and France. France got absolutely stomped and was forced to totally disarm, but aside from that they were back in the game like 5 years later, with the same political system and the same party in power.

I guess I'd like it if the country(ies) that lose a Great War get some ridiculous modifier to Communist and Fascist/Reactionary rebel spawn chance or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is anyone else just like me with Victoria 2 and completely lovely at painting the map with my colors, but have no problem at all taking puny little nations and turning them into economic and scientific wonders?

I just love micromanaging the factories, population, politics and diplomacy so much in Victoria 2! But every war is such a drag, it's like "Ugh, whatever, I'll take the humiliation, just stop occupying my province!! :("

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think I found an issue with the new warscore system.

I just beat Russia in a Great War and they accepted 8x Great War Capitulation in the peace treaty. This left Russia with a total military score of... 0. Immediately after the Great War, both Poland and Ukraine (fairly small breakaways from Austria) declared war on Russia to take back their cores. Russia immediately mobilized what few reserves it had left (enough to give it a terrifying military score of... 6), but they just couldn't hold back the Polish and Ukrainians. Now it's like a year later and Poland and Ukraine control massive swathes of land in Russia, but their warscores are both below 10%, because there are just NO armies left in Russia for them to actually beat in battle, and they have to get their warscore from occupations only.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Shouldn't the ticking score system get them up to 100% in a year or two?

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

Is anyone else just like me with Victoria 2 and completely lovely at painting the map with my colors, but have no problem at all taking puny little nations and turning them into economic and scientific wonders?

I just love micromanaging the factories, population, politics and diplomacy so much in Victoria 2! But every war is such a drag, it's like "Ugh, whatever, I'll take the humiliation, just stop occupying my province!! :("

I used to be like this but the combat changes in HoD has made me a jingoist bastard. Both naval and land are way more enjoyable.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

armies of nothing but guards and artillery and hussars. Good times.

You probably want to get at least some engis and regular infantry in that mixture in HoD, the changes to land war make running only guards/arty/hussars not nearly as efficient as it once was (relevant point is about 8 images in). The composition actually probably works really well against Russia with their hundreds of thousands of conscripts but if you find yourself in a fight with France/Prussia your guards are going to do a ton of damage but break a lot faster than regular infantry would, potentially leaving the arty open to get slaughtered. Engineers meanwhile are the only unit that improve siege efficiency before tanks, and having two-three of them in every army speeds up sieges by a remarkable amount :eng101:

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Shouldn't the ticking score system get them up to 100% in a year or two?

Derp, yeah that's what happened. Oh well.

Anyone have a link again to that mod that makes country flags rectangular instead of circular? Is it compatible with HoD?

• Locked thread