Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hate the word douche but Franco is kind of the quintessential douche. He very much has the perception of being sort of a pretentious phony. Also I thought Abramovic recently came out and said she had no idea who Franco was? Did working with her entail anything more than showing up to her exhibit and being one of the hundreds of people she sat with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowy posted:

I don't know much about James Franco, is there a reason that Marc was being such a smug dick to him the whole time? Working with Marina Abromovic is cool, I don't get why Marc would goof on that like its silly, especially since he seems to aspire to art.

Eddie Pepitone stole the show!

I havent listened to the episode, but aside from Marc Maron just being a smug dick in general, Franco is also like exactly the type of guy that he would want to be a smug dick to. Franco is successful and good looking etc so Marc has his usual jealousy angle, on top of which James Franco is actually a pretentious goofball actor who thinks way too highly of himself and writes beat poetry, so why wouldnt he make fun of him for that

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
I thought Franco was really interesting and smart. One person's pretentious is another person's profound, I suppose, but as someone who knows a lot of actors, I found him to be much more thoughtful about the craft than most. I guess it helps that I've liked him since Freaks and Geeks.

As for Marc, I just feel that when he's not talking to comedians or being a rock fanboy, he's out of his depth as an interviewer.

Eddie Peppitone was pretty great.

Edit four days later:

Maron interviewing Ari Shaffir - "Isn't this why you ran away from God, Ari, so you could make calls to 18-year-olds and tell them they might have chlamydia?"

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Excerpt from the upcoming episode, featuring the hosts of Uhh Yeah Dude. Uhh Yeah Dude rules so you should listen to this episode and that show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

C-Euro posted:

Excerpt from the upcoming episode, featuring the hosts of Uhh Yeah Dude. Uhh Yeah Dude rules so you should listen to this episode and that show.

Oh this is awesome. It's already better than their appearance on Jordan Jesse Go or whatever it was.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Oh this is awesome. It's already better than their appearance on Jordan Jesse Go or whatever it was.

Ironic since Jordan Jesse Go pretty much just Gags and Bits.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
This is "Maron in Space", starring James Adomian as Marc Maron.

You should watch it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone seen WTF live? Is it just Marc doing standup, using the name to help sales? It's over three nights and the site doesn't list guests so it doesn't seem to be a live podcast. I'm trying to decide if it's worth figuring out how to go.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

pork minstral posted:

This is "Maron in Space", starring James Adomian as Marc Maron.

You should watch it.

Oh holy poo poo, there's five episodes! I just finished hashtag 4. This is great!

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

NotWearingPants posted:

Oh holy poo poo, there's five episodes! I just finished hashtag 4. This is great!
Yeah. Episode 5 is especially worth watching.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ariza posted:

Has anyone seen WTF live? Is it just Marc doing standup, using the name to help sales? It's over three nights and the site doesn't list guests so it doesn't seem to be a live podcast. I'm trying to decide if it's worth figuring out how to go.

That's not WTF live, that's just him doing three nights of stand up.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Ariza posted:

Have you listened to any of the live WTFs? He has guests, they come out and he sort of interviews them, but really, they all just do semi-stand up routines and then give each other poo poo. It's basically the same way guests on a late night talk show talk to Letterman or Carson. I haven't seen a live WTF, but listening to them I always find them funny, if less interesting than the regular show. If you like stand up, then go see him do stand up, he's really good.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
Yeah, go see him do stand-up. I recently saw his album taping in New York and the warm-up date for it (not in that order obviously) on consecutive nights. The warm-up was for a room of 60 people so it was pretty loose but he still did 100 minutes and really engaged with the audience. For the taping he did a full two hours, mostly stuff he hadn't done the night before, and clearly had much more ready if he wanted to dip into it. He's on top of his game right now.

It was interesting to see how much the whole scattered and unprepared thing has kind of become his persona instead of the truth now (which I'm sure it was in the '90s.) For example, he did a bit involving Captain Beefheart's "Safe as Milk" and both times went "What's that one? Milk something?" so someone in the audience yelled it out. It seemed totally genuine both times, but it clearly wasn't.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
The pilot for his tv show Maron is up for free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JMV6WfJ94

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's not quite what I was expecting (I thought there would be more with the guest) but it was pretty good.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That was better than I was expecting, although I guess I didn't have any idea what the format was.

The kid is pretty funny.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I knew it was great when he called Leary "fake firefighter"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
For a pilot I thought it was pretty good. They're usually the low point of a series. Is there any info on who all his guests are going to be for the rest of the season?

One complaint: no cats. Film the cats Marc.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I've been skipping the podcast lately but still love Marc. I am so happy that the show is wonderful can't wait to see more.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's odd that Denis Leary is an EP on Maron and the first guest star (on released episodes. This isn't the pilot), but he's never appeared on the podcast. We all know where the conversation is going to head to so he might as well get it out of the way.

Maron is a surprisingly natural actor but I found the show kind of dull. My main complaint is that from listening to hundreds of his podcasts, I already know what Maron's arc has been and how he's become a better person and what he's learned over the year. So watching it in sitcom format seems like a rehash to me, but it's probably interesting to someone who's more a casual fan or hasn't heard of him.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So watching it in sitcom format seems like a rehash to me, but it's probably interesting to someone who's more a casual fan or hasn't heard of him.

Yeah I can say that as a casual WTF listener I really enjoyed the pilot. Might also have something to do with the subject matter (a grown man who is too much of a pussy to deal with a dead animal) being very relatable to me.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Maron was on Nerdist today, too. Or his month-old episode from around when he had James Franco on was just posted, anyway. I loving love his poo poo after knowing so much about him from his stand-up and listening to WTF; he relayed an interaction with Chris Hardwick, seemingly-positive even, where his input was, upon seeing him as a new face at the stand-up circuit, "Oh, what's this guy think he's doing here?"

His bit from his stand-up where he mentions that hearing positive news from his ex getting posted through social media gets a response of, "Oh, so that's how you play it? You're gonna have a baby AT ME? Well, you don't win," strikes too much of a chord with me to not laugh at and bring up every time I try to explain why I love him.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I did not expect Hank Azaria to basically be a richer, buffer Marc Maron.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Marc will be on Howard Stern tomorrow. He was on Fallon last night. He will be on Opie and Anthony Thursday. I think he also did an AMA on Reddit this week. He's on a media tour.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

escape artist posted:

Marc will be on Howard Stern tomorrow. He was on Fallon last night. He will be on Opie and Anthony Thursday. I think he also did an AMA on Reddit this week. He's on a media tour.

Well, he does have a very popular podcast, a new television series about to air and a book about to come out. He should fire his publicist if he isn't making the rounds.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Hank Azaria's was great. His impression of his therapist made me laugh out loud, which is pretty rare for me.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Happy Hippo posted:

Well, he does have a very popular podcast, a new television series about to air and a book about to come out. He should fire his publicist if he isn't making the rounds.

Ha, no I wasn't denouncing him for it. I think it's awesome. I love Marc and think it's about time he's getting the recognition he deserves.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Maron's new book came in the mail today, although I haven't started reading it yet. Anybody else pick it up?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Maron's new book came in the mail today, although I haven't started reading it yet. Anybody else pick it up?

I'll buy it at some point. Glad to see marc is doing so well.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I got it last night and have been reading it whenever not sleeping (which, so far, has been a disappointingly small percentage of the time I've had the book).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Did the latest live WTF get fixed? I downloaded it last night but it was still hosed. Marc retweeted something about it not working on mono but I listen to all my pods on an iPhone.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I assume it did. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with my device, but my iTunes downloaded a second version of the same episode this morning so I assume that is the fixed version.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The audio is still weird on mine but I might have accidentally deleted the "fixed" version and listened to the crappy one?

Just started listening to the new one. Andy Kindler murders me, even with the stupidest jokes.

"I hear Dane Cook has a new font - Sans Comic."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Juttman posted:

Hank Azaria's was great. His impression of his therapist made me laugh out loud, which is pretty rare for me.

I totally want a nasialy, quiet therapist to tell me to shut the gently caress up.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Margaret Cho talking about Maron's gigantic dong

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Margaret Cho talking about Maron's gigantic dong

Its Margaret Cho. It would be more surprising if she didn't talk about dong.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Did I mention my story of seeing Marc live? Huge fan at the time. Brought my lovely lady -- Marc walks in before the show and is doing the rounds -- so pumped to meet my hero!

He sees my GF and just transforms into the most creepy predator-looking dude, ignoring me and just not even blinking while giving her elevator eyes. She's immediately like, "so THAT's the guy we came to see?" It was so unfiltered and frankly, disrespectful.

Granted, she is hot... and I obviously understand he's an unhinged dude (and yeah, maybe the coke may have cased some permanent damage to his subtlety circuits) -- nevertheless: seeing him live up close as such a raw exposed nerve of a human just killed my fandom.

Now hearing him STILL being neurotic while getting some major success just makes it all the more unbearable for me. Frankly, I'm glad to hear he is insecure about his GFs fascination with the guys from Uhh Yeah Dude, and hope Jonathan and Marc's GF have a nice looooooong hug in front of Marc. ;)

SeventhSeven fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 9, 2013

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

SeventhSeven posted:

Did I mention my story of seeing Marc live? Huge fan at the time. Brought my lovely lady -- Marc walks in before the show and is doing the rounds -- so pumped to meet my hero!

He sees my GF and just transforms into the most creepy predator-looking dude, ignoring me and just not even blinking while giving her elevator eyes. She's immediately like, "so THAT's the guy we came to see?" It was so unfiltered and frankly, disrespectful.

Granted, she is hot... WhimeI understand he's unhinged, and the coke may have cased some permanent damage -- nevertheless seeing him live up close as such a raw exposed nerve of a human just killed my fandom.

Now hearing him STILL being neurotic while getting some major success just makes it all the more unbearable for me.

I'm glad to hear he is insecure about his GFs fascination with the guys from Uhh Yeah Dude, and hope Jonathan and Marc's GF have a nice looooooong hug in front of Marc. ;)

Crippling neurosis is everything I want in a hero, but the second that hero oggles an attractive female in his crowd by golly do my feathers get ruffled!!!! No more Maron! No more are you my life's mentor!

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Marc... Is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

SeventhSeven posted:

Marc... Is that you?

Nope, just a guy who needs a crack nap and shouldn't be typing words with their fingers towards other humans.

• Locked thread