Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I'm glad to see they are continuing the tradition of Dragons Dogma being the worst balanced game of all time with Dark Arisen. This game is loving retarded. I can't believe I thought they figured it out and dropped another $40. I am the true retard in the end for buying it though.

gently caress Dragons Dogma it's like a game made by people who where huffing paint. I'm done complaining now.
In that case I'll buy them all the paint they want so they can keep making DD games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

:stare: drat, what exactly are you talking about?

I like the game and am willing to acknowledge its faults but I have no clue what you could mean that could make you so upset. There are a couple parts that are kinda unbalanced but I never ran into anything that made me that mad.

That was intended to have a mildly jokey tone as opposed to pure rage, but honestly I feel like the game just hosed me over right out of the box. I feel like the only way to beat this expansion is to go back and grind, but I am at the beginning of NG+, so I can't go back to the everfall, and running through the normal campaign as a level 51 sounds like the most boring thing in the world.

There is just never any difficulty balance. It's always damage sponges one shotting the whole squad or boringly easy. I don't know how much harder the expansion gets but I'm not sure what they expect me to do. Run around Gransys for 10 hours every time I go one level deeper?

Samurai Sanders posted:

In that case I'll buy them all the paint they want so they can keep making DD games.

I know you are way less critical on the DD formula than I am but do you honestly think the progression in the new dungeon isn't insane? It just ramps up from 1-10 out of nowhere.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 24, 2013

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

tooooooo bad posted:

While we're at it, is there any way to even get to the DLC shop outside of the Dark Arisen island? There's nothing on actual PSN.

Also does anyone know what the little crossed out present box icons mean in the rift? No gifting? Why?

Those are regular Dragon's Dogma pawns, not Dark Arisen pawns. You can't give them anything and they skip the gift/rating step.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ thanks.

BTW hey the screenshot feature got improved. Now you can rotate the camera around your character, zoom in and out a little bit, and press a button to hide your character altogether. Take cool screenshots and share!

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I can't find the first piece of information about the third skill tier. Has anyone found out how to access them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I know you are way less critical on the DD formula than I am but do you honestly think the progression in the new dungeon isn't insane? It just ramps up from 1-10 out of nowhere.
I dunno, I started a new game, so I'm not going to go in there yet.

Anyway, I like that there are incredibly deadly enemies scattered around. It makes you approach every combat situation with caution, instead of TES or whatever style where you can be sure beforehand that you can kill any enemy you see.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I Level up should I be going into a menu and assigning skills or done such or is my level up all handled passively?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Munsun posted:

Are you still only allowed one character per account with Dark Arisen?
Yes, but you can still opt to use external storage devices to rotate saves.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I got my rear end whooped by a zombie dragon. It took forever and I whittled him down to about 3 bars but I ran out of wakestones. I didn't have a source of holy damage which I'm assuming he's weak against.
MASTER, THEY ILL LIKE FIRE!

Valatar posted:

I can't find the first piece of information about the third skill tier. Has anyone found out how to access them?
There are various cursed items throughout the dungeon, and some of them can be purified to be skill/class buffing rings, which level up specific skills. I think that's the only way to get the 3rd level of skills, and you can't actually buy them like the normal ones?

Feenix posted:

Can I change my looks once I've decided?
Yeah, there are some options later on. I think they cost gold or rift crystals, though.

Feenix posted:

When I Level up should I be going into a menu and assigning skills or done such or is my level up all handled passively?
Your stats are automatically assigned based on your level and what class you are. For skills, you get vocation points from doing stuff (I think it's proportional to exp). Those vocation points can be used to buy skills at inns, which is where you manage them. Cassardis and the fort have inns where you can do this. When you get to Gran Soren, you also get the option to unlock additional classes and change vocations, which you can do at some inns/resting places, but not all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Playing Dark Arisen gave me a little nostalgia from the 100 floor dungeon in Dot Hack G.U. After 50 floors you could not save or return without going back to 50, so it was a straight shot to the end. That was fun, and it had a great boss at the end. The Final Boss in Dark Arisen felt really good to fight too. Everything about Bitterblack Isle just stands out: there's music, the fights are varied and challenging, you have to contend with randomly appearing bosses, and it's long and feels desolate and desperate, just hoping you've got enough to make it to the end. But the one thing hampering it is the fact that most of it is just copy pasted rooms where you enter from different places :smith:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming Dark Arisen again.

http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, is my pawn not gaining quest/enemy/geography knowledge from being hired out to people with vanilla DD?

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Started DA in NG+ post-game, level 156. Going to add active goons on the spreadsheet/already on my friend's list and drag them through some of the post-game stuff so post if you don't want me to hire your guy!!

PSN: ATH-EM7

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, is my pawn not gaining quest/enemy/geography knowledge from being hired out to people with vanilla DD?

They have to release your pawn for all that to come back to you and the pawn. While someone has the pawn in their party, they're always gaining & learning.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Lunethex posted:

They have to release your pawn for all that to come back to you and the pawn. While someone has the pawn in their party, they're always gaining & learning.

He's asking if his pawn would return with any knowledge if he gets hired out by people playing the original Dragon's Dogma instead of Dark Arisen.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Eddain posted:

He's asking if his pawn would return with any knowledge if he gets hired out by people playing the original Dragon's Dogma instead of Dark Arisen.

If someone from DD hires your Dark Arisen pawn, then he should get everything back. In reverse, it shows up as "Invalid Data." By that I mean, if someone from Dark Arisen hired his pawn then sent it back, it'd be Invalid if he wasn't Dark Arisen as well.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Lunethex posted:

If someone from DD hires your Dark Arisen pawn, then he should get everything back. In reverse, it shows up as "Invalid Data." By that I mean, if someone from Dark Arisen hired his pawn then sent it back, it'd be Invalid if he wasn't Dark Arisen as well.

I haven't been able to find my friend's DA pawns. I'm one of those EU peasants who need to wait until Friday to get the game(I COULD perhaps try to get it on the US PSN store-I have a US account-but I'm afraid the EU DD/US DA won't stack up properly, so not risking it. I'll wait)-and when I went to summon some of my buddies' pawns that I've been using in the vanilla game, they never show up. The only pawns that show up are people that aren't playing DA. Now I saw one pawn-not a dude on my friends list but wandering around a few days ago that had one of the new hairstyles that I pointed out(where I guessed it was an advance copy.) He showed up in the town(hadn't tried to hire him, he was like 8 levels above me-I'm 160, he was like 168 so of course he cost like 50 million RC), however. So I really don't know how the whole pawn thing is working right now. It seems that DA people can hire DD pawns, just not gift or rate them, but I haven't had any luck in DD hiring DA pawns. Hmm.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lunethex posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a preview look at the $2.00 customization character pack available right now? Yes I actually am considering it, but only because I have some wallet money left.
Can't confirm myself, but the GFaqs thinktank says we already have it and that it's something you unlock at some point in the Dark Arisen half of the game :shrug:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Can't confirm myself, but the GFaqs thinktank says we already have it and that it's something you unlock at some point in the Dark Arisen half of the game :shrug:

That doesn't seem true considering that people have to download a free compatibility pack for the new hairs in that DLC to even appear normally on other players' pawns. If they were already on the disc that wouldn't be necessary.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Just got this game, never played the original but I remember thinking it looked pretty cool when it came out. I was gonna pick up the original on a whim over the weekend until I found out there was a new one. I've only just passed the part where you create your main pawn, but I'm reading a lot of words in this thread that I don't understand. Is the game going to hit me over the head about augments and switching classes and such, or am I going to need a walkthrough of some sort?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any sort of plot related to the expansion? I like what they did with the main game's story and the Everfall and all that, is it related to anything or is it more, "And then the Arisen decided to go to the middle of nowhere for whatever reason and kill a zombie dragon"?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Feenix posted:

Can I change my looks once I've decided?

More info:

There's a barber in Gran Soren (main castle town hub place) that'll do minor changes, and you can buy an item for Rift Crystals that let you do an entire redo of your character once.

In post-game (after you kill the dragon but before you go into NG+), however, you can buy an item for a little more rift crystals (which you'll easily have enough by the time you get there) that lets you do a full customization makeover of yourself, and your main pawn, as many times as you want, forever.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Okay so I just got Dark Arisen and am playing this game for the very first time. I knew I'd probably like it but I didn't think it would be baller as hell. Best town/city work in an open-world singleplayer game by far, christ. Didn't have much time to play but I can't wait to start going through it.

So I tossed that first Pawn you get off the dock and he died and the rift stone doesn't do anything yet. Am I boned for the starting quests :(

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Just got this game, never played the original but I remember thinking it looked pretty cool when it came out. I was gonna pick up the original on a whim over the weekend until I found out there was a new one. I've only just passed the part where you create your main pawn, but I'm reading a lot of words in this thread that I don't understand. Is the game going to hit me over the head about augments and switching classes and such, or am I going to need a walkthrough of some sort?
You'll only need a walkthrough if you're going for achievements, as there are a couple quests that are easy to miss.

Augments are just passive skills that you learn that can stay active after you switch classes. You do have to be a specific class to learn the class' augments, but after you learn and assign them, you can do whatever.

To give a few examples, once you rank up Fighter to level 2, you can learn an augment that gives you 100 more HP, at Fighter rank 5, there's one that boosts your carrying capacity, and if you rank Strider up to 2, there's one to boost your stamina by 100. They're helpful, but there's no need to grind them out if you don't really want to.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Okay so I just got Dark Arisen and am playing this game for the very first time. I knew I'd probably like it but I didn't think it would be baller as hell. Best town/city work in an open-world singleplayer game by far, christ. Didn't have much time to play but I can't wait to start going through it.

So I tossed that first Pawn you get off the dock and he died and the rift stone doesn't do anything yet. Am I boned for the starting quests :(

You should be fine. Just up the road from the starting village is an encampment where you earn your own custom pawn. Look for the riftstone there.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Hah, no, just run from Cassadardis to the outpost along the path, then you can make your Main Pawn.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I'm curious, is there permadeath in this game? Do I risk totally losing my main pawn if she dies too many times before hitting an inn or something?

Also, I heard there was an important time-sensitive quest in the Witchwood, is it too late if I just carted the hydra head back to the main city?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

So, I'm curious, is there permadeath in this game?

Nope. If a Pawn gets so thoroughly murdered that they stay dead, you can just re-summon them at the next riftstone you find. Mostly, you should be worrying about yourself, as you can lose a lot of progress if you die, especially out in the wilderness on the way back from a quest.

Healer pawns tend to be very attentive and will patch you up as soon as you take damage.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

S-Alpha posted:

So, I'm curious, is there permadeath in this game? Do I risk totally losing my main pawn if she dies too many times before hitting an inn or something?
No, there's no permanent death. As you and your pawns get beaten on, it'll lower your max HP until you rest at an inn or use healing items. If you fail to revive a pawn in time or if they fall off a cliff or something, they're just lost until you get to a riftstone.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

Also, I heard there was an important time-sensitive quest in the Witchwood, is it too late if I just carted the hydra head back to the main city?

No, but don't do the quest that has you going down into some catacombs or else the Witchwood quest will be marked as failed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

No, but don't do the quest that has you going down into some catacombs or else the Witchwood quest will be marked as failed.

I don't actually have that quest in my log, I just fetched the paper from the lady's home in the starting village. Did I miss a step, or is that cool?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

I don't actually have that quest in my log, I just fetched the paper from the lady's home in the starting village. Did I miss a step, or is that cool?

Sorry I was trying to be a bit vague to avoid any spoilers (not like it matters that much, this isn't much of a spoiler-heavy game). After you return the Hydra head to Gran Soren, you get a quest to visit the Pawn Guild, and once you visit the Pawn Guild, you'll be asked to go into some catacombs from the basement. Once you do that catacomb quest, the Witchwood quest is cut off and marked as failed for whatever reason. You're fine to do anything else before then.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Random Hajile posted:

No, there's no permanent death. As you and your pawns get beaten on, it'll lower your max HP until you rest at an inn or use healing items. If you fail to revive a pawn in time or if they fall off a cliff or something, they're just lost until you get to a riftstone.

This talk about permadeath makes me wonder if we'll ever see a patch that offers 'Hardcore Mode.' No Wakestones, Arisen dies, game over, save deleted. :black101:

(Yes, you could be cheeky and back it up on a USB, of course.)

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Still waiting for ups to ship me my copy. :(

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I wonder how many goons that added their IDs/Tags to the Pawn database in the OP have forgotten about this game.

I started a new character and realized every single person on my friends list has either a Mage or Sorcerer, and now I want to build a (free) high level party to breeze through the main game. I'm about to make friend requests for people with higher lever Rangers and Striders, and it will be interesting to see what levels their pawns are actually at now and if they're even Rangers and Striders anymore.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

tooooooo bad posted:

That doesn't seem true considering that people have to download a free compatibility pack for the new hairs in that DLC to even appear normally on other players' pawns. If they were already on the disc that wouldn't be necessary.
Looks like it's Orla who functions as an in-game DLC store in the expansion area, and you buy the things through her.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I really only ever used FAQs for sidequest stuff, and I suck at video games. The game doesn't hit you over the head with information necessarily, but you'll probably pick up all the essential information organically as you play. Once you give class-switching a shot, you'll notice that certain things do or do not cross over when you switch classes. For as rough around the edges as the game is, I think it's pretty brilliant for having these systems that have quite a bit of depth to them, but also making it easy to have a working knowledge of them without dozens of tutorials or anything. It's like the kinder, gentler cousin of Dark Souls in that respect.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Big Bidness posted:

I wonder how many goons that added their IDs/Tags to the Pawn database in the OP have forgotten about this game.

Most, probably. And their pawns don't exactly play nice with Dark Arisen. Might be worth starting a new doc of active Dark Arisen pawns. A new thread might not be a bad idea either. The op of this thread hasn't been updated for the better part of a year and a new thread could stir up some renewed goon interest.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I'll probably pick up Dark Arisen, so He-Man will be up to date. I also feel compelled to make Papa Nier and Francis York Morgan pawns so I can have the ultimate team of warriors.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'd had the same two hired pawns for ages, and I just got rid of them. Now I can't find anybody useful without moronic inclinations. Sorcerers with guardian/mendicant, warriors with acquisitor/nothing. Is there some way to search pawns by inclination? I need scathers and utilitarians.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I admit, there is one trouble with pawns sometimes. So in my main game, I had my fella Kaeran as Scather/Utilitarian forever. Then he transforms to Scather/Challenger. Now that isn't a terrible combo-he's still aggressive as hell and does the job(he's a Warrior). I think he's still sitting at Scather/Challenger now until I can crack why he decided to go that route.

Then, there's my second game. Have another big warrior fella(what can I say, I'm easy for pawns, I like swapping around my Arisen more), and he was Scather/Utilitarian for awhile too(one of my favorite fighty-pawn combos regardless of class, he's sometimes a Fighter and Strider as well). Then suddenly he becomes Scather/Acquisitor. So into the learning chair he goes, and he goes back. I feed him a Utilitarian potion, he stays...goes Challenger for awhile secondary...then back to Acquisitor. Then I guess the dip decides to pick up Acquisitor secondary again. I don't do much picking up during fights(I do from time to time by my other pawn never learned that.) So in essence, I have two Scather pawns, but I need to really fight for their secondaries no matter how many times I dump them into the chair or feed them an elixir after they swap back. They both stay Scather primary, all day, every day, no problems. Keep in mind when I answered the questions, they were very strongly inclined toward the Scather and Utilitarian areas(with pretty close at Challenger, but nothing really near Acquisitor for the second.)

I've been searching around online for info on why this happens, but everything I see seems to mix together(they learn from other pawns, they learn from the Arisen, give them too many healing items they might turn Medicant secondary, tell them to 'Go!' too often and they pick up something else, etc.) I'd love to find like a really, really, super in-depth pawn FAQ somewhere. I don't know what it is about Utilitarian Secondary, but they don't seem to want to keep it like they do Challenger or Acquisitor.

Edit: Okay, there seems to be this:

quote:

Scather: Enter battles with enemies as they appear.

Medicant: Prioritize safety by healing your hero or removing their status ailments, using the 'Come' order during battle also helps.

Mitigator: Bring down weak targets first.

Challenger: Focus on long-range attackers and enemies with support abilities.

Utilitarian: Use support skills and enchantments.

Guardian: Use the 'Help' and 'Come' commands often, avoid using 'Go'.

Nexus: Quickly heal your pawns and remove their status ailments.

Pioneer: Use the 'Go' command when you're not in combat.

Acquisitor: Pick up items.

...So I can't pick up items lest my silly Pawn get the idea to do that too?

Azaael fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NESguerilla posted:

That was intended to have a mildly jokey tone as opposed to pure rage, but honestly I feel like the game just hosed me over right out of the box. I feel like the only way to beat this expansion is to go back and grind, but I am at the beginning of NG+, so I can't go back to the everfall, and running through the normal campaign as a level 51 sounds like the most boring thing in the world.

There is just never any difficulty balance. It's always damage sponges one shotting the whole squad or boringly easy. I don't know how much harder the expansion gets but I'm not sure what they expect me to do. Run around Gransys for 10 hours every time I go one level deeper?
If it's any consolation the Polygon review agrees with you and is particularly hard on the game. He ended up replaying the main game when his level 50 wasn't going to cut it.

http://www.polygon.com/game/dragon-s-dogma-dark-arisen/8623

• Locked thread