Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
In Big Fish, when Will Bloom goes to visit Jenny (played by Helena Bonham Carter), she tells him that she had grown old alone and that people had started to think she was the legendary witch from Edward Bloom's youth. Will points out that that's impossible since the witch was already old when Edward was young, so they couldn't be the same person.

The old witch was also played by Helena Bonham Carter. A nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Speaking of T2, it's crazy to think about how much internal storage space is in the T-800's computer brain. I mean, he knows how to drive a motorcycle, fix cars, perform medical procedures, how to deceive people. All that information was probably implanted as an afterthought just because they had the space for it. There's probably hundreds of professions he could just step into because of his vast knowledge of everything.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've mentioned Young Guns a time or two in this thread because it is one of my favorite movies and I've seen it countless times. I was reading the trivia section for it on IMDB today and learned something new today. At one point, Charley Bowdre (Casey Siemaszko) is convinced they are walking dead men and asks to do one last thing - see a prostitute - a specific prostitute. The guys pool their money together so he can do it, but when he is with her, it isn't sexual at all. He says, "Ma'am, I just want to hold you." In the special edition commentary, it is revealed that the prostitute is his mother. Apparently he knew who she was, but she didn't recognize him at all.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ozz81 posted:

And if you're smart enough to pick up on it, you realize that Cobb's ring is his totem :eng101: so you can tell at the end that he really does finish the job and isn't stuck in a dream, the spinning top is just added to throw you off.

Except it's more of an attachment to his dead wife in his dreams. At the end, he lets go of her, so he doesn't have the ring in his dreams anymore (or real life). So it's not an indicator of whether or not the end scene is a dream. Either explanation kinda works.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
There's another moment in Django that's rather understated but, I think, thematically connected to the movie's portrayal of the Southern aristocracy as hilariously evil. When Christoph Waltz's character had just bought Jamie Foxx's wife, and they're sitting in the parlor, he starts to flash back to the scene where a slave was ripped to shreds by attack dogs. He gets up and asks the lady playing "Fur Elise" on the harp to "stop playing Beethoven." He doesn't just say "stop playing," but makes it clear that he despises the accouterments of his German heritage being used by people who justify slavery as "traditional" and are obsessed with Western culture. This is paralleled by Broomhilda's German upbringing, Candie's advocation of phrenology, and the venue of the mandingo fighting being called "The Cleopatra Club." Thus, when Candie tries to make Schultz shake his hand, he is not only asserting the personal dominance of his character, but also the dominance of his way of life--he says that "it's customary to shake hands in the South."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

QCIC posted:

There's another moment in Django that's rather understated but, I think, thematically connected to the movie's portrayal of the Southern aristocracy as hilariously evil. When Christoph Waltz's character had just bought Jamie Foxx's wife, and they're sitting in the parlor, he starts to flash back to the scene where a slave was ripped to shreds by attack dogs. He gets up and asks the lady playing "Fur Elise" on the harp to "stop playing Beethoven." He doesn't just say "stop playing," but makes it clear that he despises the accouterments of his German heritage being used by people who justify slavery as "traditional" and are obsessed with Western culture. This is paralleled by Broomhilda's German upbringing, Candie's advocation of phrenology, and the venue of the mandingo fighting being called "The Cleopatra Club." Thus, when Candie tries to make Schultz shake his hand, he is not only asserting the personal dominance of his character, but also the dominance of his way of life--he says that "it's customary to shake hands in the South."

Another part of this is Candie being referred to as Monsieur even though he can't speak French.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

And if you're smart enough to pick up on it, you realize that Cobb's ring is his totem :eng101: so you can tell at the end that he really does finish the job and isn't stuck in a dream, the spinning top is just added to throw you off.

On the other hand, all of the totems (except Cobbs) behave unusually in real life (misspelled poker chip, weighted die, hollowed chess piece), suggesting that the totem works because someone elses mind doesn't properly recreate it (Like how Saito knew he was in the second dream in the beginning). This would then mean that Cobbs totem doesn't mean a thing, and he could be in a dream the whole time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ducttape posted:

On the other hand, all of the totems (except Cobbs) behave unusually in real life (misspelled poker chip, weighted die, hollowed chess piece), suggesting that the totem works because someone elses mind doesn't properly recreate it (Like how Saito knew he was in the second dream in the beginning). This would then mean that Cobbs totem doesn't mean a thing, and he could be in a dream the whole time.

Yeah, that's the whole thing. The wedding ring isn't his totem, he took his wife's totem when she died. The top spins forever in a dream. The movie cuts to black before we can tell if the top will fall or not. It's intentionally ambiguous, there's no definitive answer with solid evidence one way or the other.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you think about it though, the idea of him having a fake totem would reinforce the idea that, when you really get down to it, he's a sneaky bastard who cannot be trusted.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

scary ghost dog posted:

there's no definitive answer with solid evidence one way or the other.

Actually, Nolan himself said in some interviews that when he did the movie one interpretation in his mind was the "correct" one. So unless he's meta-loving with people's minds I think that there is probably one interpretation subtly more supported by the movie.

Nolan posted:

So, there's no one right answer.
Oh no, I've got an answer.

You do?!
Yeah. I've always believed that if you make a film with ambiguity, it needs to be based on a true interpretation. If it's not, then it will contradict itself, or it will be somehow insubstantial and end up making the audience feel cheated. Ambiguity has to come from the inability of the character to know -- and the alignment of the audience with that character.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

Actually, Nolan himself said in some interviews that when he did the movie one interpretation in his mind was the "correct" one. So unless he's meta-loving with people's minds I think that there is probably one interpretation subtly more supported by the movie.

He's saying that of the two possible endings, only one of them can be true, and he decided which one before he made the movie. This informed his decisions within the filmmaking process, although it did not necessarily force his hand to insert cryptic clues that lead to THE ANSWER!!! So, yeah, ambiguity can only exist within a limited scope of knowledge, which the audience has. The director of the movie, effectively God in the story, obviously knows what happens next.

scary ghost dog has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Apr 22, 2013

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

SaltyJesus posted:

I think it was from earlier in this same thread, but since I read it I've always preferred something else he said in an interview- I wish I could find the link but it was something to the effect of: Everyone focuses on that one point- is he in a dream? Is it real? But the important part of the ending isn't that the top falls or doesn't fall, it's that Cobb isn't watching- he doesn't care.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In my mind the thing about the ending of Inception is that it's inception in itself. It puts an idea in your head: was he dreaming the whole time?

Once I realized that I stopped caring about the answer to that question and I appreciated the movie even more than I already did.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Apr 22, 2013

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, that's the whole thing. The wedding ring isn't his totem, he took his wife's totem when she died. The top spins forever in a dream. The movie cuts to black before we can tell if the top will fall or not. It's intentionally ambiguous, there's no definitive answer with solid evidence one way or the other.

It only spun forever in her dream because she made it do that. Remember, she fully embraced the idea of making her own dream reality, and had to be dragged back by being hit by a train. Everyone elses totem behaved oddly in real life, so they knew they were in a dream when it behaved like it was 'supposed' to (weighted die, misspelled poker chip). Cobb effectively didn't have a totem.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Adimeadozen posted:

Cobb isn't watching- he doesn't care.

Yeah, that is from the same interview I linked. One question above the ones I quoted. : )

Relax man, you write like I just shat in your cereal. I actually agree with you in that I like the ambiguity of the ending, I'm just saying that since Nolan had the "right" ending to guide his decisions during the whole film-making process it's probably reasonable to assume the "correct" analysis of events in the movie would stand on a little bit more logical consistency and supporting evidence.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Another subtle Inception thing: Ellen Page's character, Ariadne, is named after the character in Helladic mythology who gave Theseus the ball of string that he used to navigate the labyrinth.

This goes hand in hand with the theory that Ariadne was hired by Cobb's wife to execute an inception for him to wake up.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
It's a silly one but in the Evil Dead remake theres a little cameo by the oldsmobile from the original. Which is been left to rot outside the cabin.
Which if you really wanted it to could mean that it's the same cabin and the earlier movies are in continuity or you could just see it as a nice nod.
In fact all the little nods were in movie were quite well done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

It's a silly one but in the Evil Dead remake theres a little cameo by the oldsmobile from the original. Which is been left to rot outside the cabin.
Which if you really wanted it to could mean that it's the same cabin and the earlier movies are in continuity or you could just see it as a nice nod.
In fact all the little nods were in movie were quite well done.

No spoilers for content, but the post-credits sequence and the alternate ending suggest that it is in continuity.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
There's a post-credit scene??
Ah bloody hell...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

There's a post-credit scene??
Ah bloody hell...

Hahaha you don't know what you missed man.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Jedit posted:

No spoilers for content, but the post-credits sequence and the alternate ending suggest that it is in continuity.

Can you spoiler what happens on that alternate ending? I saw the post-credits sequence but I didn't know there was a different ending or something like that.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Heres Hank posted:

This goes hand in hand with the theory that Ariadne was hired by Cobb's wife to execute an inception for him to wake up.

This one needs some follow-up. If she's dead before the movie starts, how did she hire Ariadne?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stargate posted:

This one needs some follow-up. If she's dead before the movie starts, how did she hire Ariadne?

DECEPTION

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Stargate posted:

I think the idea is that she isn't dead - she was right about still being in a dream, and she woke up after the jumping scene, the entire movie taking place inside Cobb's subconscious.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

In my mind the thing about the ending of Inception is that it's inception in itself. It puts an idea in your head: was he dreaming the whole time?

What I especially like about this, is Cobb performs inception on his wife: "She was possessed by an idea, this one, very simple idea, that changed everything. That our world wasn't real." That is the very same idea that the film plants in the viewer's head with the ending.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mendigo posted:

Can you spoiler what happens on that alternate ending? I saw the post-credits sequence but I didn't know there was a different ending or something like that.

Spoilers for Evil Dead 2013:

The lone survivor is picked up by an S-Mart car. Bruce Campbell was not involved in the filming of it, though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Almost every single fantasy sequence in Sucker Punch is foreshadowed in the opening scene. The burst of steam when the stray bullet hits the pipe is the same as the way steam gushes out of the clockwork WWI zombies, the way electricity sparks from the burst bulb is identical to the way that the robots spark when they're killed, etc.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Almost every single fantasy sequence in Sucker Punch is foreshadowed in the opening scene. The burst of steam when the stray bullet hits the pipe is the same as the way steam gushes out of the clockwork WWI zombies, the way electricity sparks from the burst bulb is identical to the way that the robots spark when they're killed, etc.

That movie was so goddamned good, but there were 2 lovely movies in the way.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

flowinprose posted:

The first time I read this, I thought there was a film called Batman and Aliens that was directed by Tim Burton. You really got my hopes up there for a second.

A present for you:

http://download.theforce.net/theater/batman-deadend/Batman_Dead_End_Full_Screen.mpg [165M]

Edit for content:

In Hot Fuzz there's a brief shot at the faire of the policewoman played by Olivia Colman flanked by two gentlemen stood in front of a pig on a spit roast where she's heard to remark (paraphrased) "Maybe after a couple of pints!".

Cowboy Mark has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Apr 24, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mendigo posted:

I know it's not all that subtle. Well, it isn't at all but the post-credits scene is a great little touch and a much needed moment of levity.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless

Prolonged Priapism posted:

To keep the Jurassic Park chat going, I just remembered that the dig leader at the amber mine tells Gennaro that Hammond couldn't meet them (and deal with the family of the worker who died at the very start of the movie), because Hammond's daughter is getting a divorce.

Tim and Lex being invited down to the island to spend time with grandpa and look at dinosaurs is a way to distract them from their parents separating.

It also explains why Lex freaks out so much over Gennaro leaving them during the Rex attack. With her parents getting divorced, it feels like everyone is leaving her.

I was really impressed with the 3D effects in Jurassic Park, even the subtle background elements were given just the right amount of pop. If more movies were to put that much 3D detail in, I could definitely see 3D becoming the standard way to watch movies.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

obsolete absolution posted:

It also explains why Lex freaks out so much over Gennaro leaving them during the Rex attack. With her parents getting divorced, it feels like everyone is leaving her.

I was really impressed with the 3D effects in Jurassic Park, even the subtle background elements were given just the right amount of pop. If more movies were to put that much 3D detail in, I could definitely see 3D becoming the standard way to watch movies.

I think that Jurassic Park is one of those movies that you should read the book first, since most of the background present in the films is explained much better in the books. Even having read the book, the movie was still amazing, and 3d made it even better.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

I had never heard of this before; it was actually pretty good. Batman could've used a little better costume, but the overall feel was decent.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

flowinprose posted:

I had never heard of this before; it was actually pretty good. Batman could've used a little better costume, but the overall feel was decent.

At the time this came out internet nerds were heralding it as the best live action Batman costume we've ever seen. I still agree with this.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

obsolete absolution posted:

I assume that ILM did the 3D remastering? I wouldn't doubt that they would put some fantastic level of detail into those things. I'm not sure how the Star Wars 3D remaster turned out, since I didn't get a chance to see the Episode I release in theaters, if anyone here has, were the effects in that just as good, or were they phoned in?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I am not a book posted:

I think that Jurassic Park is one of those movies that you should read the book first, since most of the background present in the films is explained much better in the books. Even having read the book, the movie was still amazing, and 3d made it even better.

I disagree with this, and think that Jurassic Park is a thousand times better as a movie than as a book. The book's fine, it's good, but the movie is transcendant. It's one of the best movies ever made.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

scary ghost dog posted:

I disagree with this, and think that Jurassic Park is a thousand times better as a movie than as a book. The book's fine, it's good, but the movie is transcendant. It's one of the best movies ever made.

I haven't read the Jurassic Park book but this is how I feel about Jaws.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Xenoletum posted:

I assume that ILM did the 3D remastering? I wouldn't doubt that they would put some fantastic level of detail into those things. I'm not sure how the Star Wars 3D remaster turned out, since I didn't get a chance to see the Episode I release in theaters, if anyone here has, were the effects in that just as good, or were they phoned in?

It was convincing, but a couple of problems do surface- the colors were a little duller and obviously the film wasn't shot with 3D in mind, so you sometimes get partial objects in the foreground like the backs of people's heads or whatever.

Jurassic Park is pretty colorful to start with, though, so at least it won't look drab.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

scary ghost dog posted:

Agreed, it's one of the greatest and biggest movies ever, in every way.

I recently got the chance to watch it on the biggest screen in Northern Europe (the Imperial Theater in Copenhagen) and I was completely blown away all over again. It's Spielberg at his very best and everything is just so grand and ever so slightly over the top.

A couple of weeks later, I got to watch The Shining at the same theater. That was a good month :)

Honestly, you haven't seen Jurassic Park OR The Shining until you've seen them on the big screen. No home theater can match the intensity, no way, no how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ninja Gamer posted:

I haven't read the Jurassic Park book but this is how I feel about Jaws.

The Godfather fits this mold too. It's a good book, but an astonishing movie.