Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So 3D Mario and Mario Kart for the wiiU coming up? Or do they mean the DLC for NSMBu? Not that I'm not excited about the DLC but I'd prefer a new game in addition to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Long John Power posted:

I know they mean probably mean Wind Waker but I would love LTTP2 on the WiiU.

Yeah, if you look at the whole quote it`s talking about games in those franchises, so it`ll be talking about Wind Waker for sure. Still - new Mario Kart and Mario for Wii U in this financial year? The builds at E3 might be more complete than we thought.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah, I'm starting to get excited for Nintendo's E3. It should start off a good second half of 2013. Pikmin, Super Luigi Bros. U, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Resident Evil Revelations U, Wii Fit U, Assassin's Creed 4, Watchdogs, Wind Waker U, The Wonderful 101, and Mario Kart U could all add up to a great recovery, especially if they put out a Mario Kart U bundle about two to four weeks before the PS4/Next Xbox hits so that they have strong sales going into the holidays.

Even if sales don't pick up, at least we'll all have quite a few great games to play.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Strange Quark posted:

I do want to point out that the Wii port of Okami has a tendency to freeze occasionally. If you do play it, make sure to save often.

You're probably better off playing the $20 HD version on the PS3 though if you can.

Huh. That is odd. I've played that game to death. (3 playthroughs spanning 60-80 hours each, plus a Let's Play spanning over a year) and I never had it freeze on me even once. (NTSC version, too).

I'm aware of the HD version on PSN. Not an option for me, sadly. 20 bucks is a super reasonable price for such a great game, though. Part of me wishes they'd bring it to the Wii U, but the cynical part of my brain realizes it'll never happen. :sigh:

Also, my copy of Pandora's Tower arrived yesterday. Haven't played it yet. I've been busy with my 3DS lately.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Whatever you do, no matter which company you love, do not under any circumstances be excited about E3. That way lies madness.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

Whatever you do, no matter which company you love, do not under any circumstances be excited about E3. That way lies madness.

I'm excited for the funniest E3 in years.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

greatn posted:

I'm excited for the awkward company reps trying to put positive spins on Generic FPS 3254: The Shootening, actors botching their cues while demonstrating supposedly "real" motion-based controls, and various other trainwrecks of assorted shapes and sizes. No matter how bad you expect it to be going in, it always somehow manages to come out worse.

I can't wait.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

greatn posted:

This E3 will actually have things happen in it, thanks to the new generation. That means tons of stupid crap happening! So we won't have yet another year of everyone spinning their wheels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lego City Undercover frightens me a little. I'm fairly certain I'm in the home stretch of the story (I just did the special mission where you try to rob Forrest's house and get chased off by his security agents), and the completion rate's only somewhere around the 20-25% mark. The game's so packed with poo poo to find that there's whole groups of activities that I haven't even found instances of yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

I'm excited for the funniest E3 in years.

Every E3 is the funniest E3. It's just a question of who will be the biggest unintentional comedian.

Nintendo's presentations are usually a bit dry, though. They're the ones who remember that they're at the show to sell to corporate purchasers, not to make a spectacle of themselves. This year they're going to hit all the obvious notes, show the software that we all expect them to, and then get off stage. I predict one product that will be designed for the broader market that will utterly baffle nerds who will then make fun of it for months.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who's to say? They could go up there and do a thirty minute presentation on Wii mUsic like they did that one year.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda wish Yamauchi was still in charge. At least when he was launching consoles that didn't sell you knew he was also in a meeting room somewhere, yelling incoherently while taking a dump on a desk or something equally insane.

Or maybe that was just a fever dream I had, I'm not sure.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda wish Yamauchi was still in charge. At least when he was launching consoles that didn't sell you knew he was also in a meeting room somewhere, yelling incoherently while taking a dump on a desk or something equally insane.

Or maybe that was just a fever dream I had, I'm not sure.

He looked like a biter. I could see the desk-dumping following a bout of running around the board room on all fours and chomping on someone's ankle.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Harry posted:

I bought a Gamecube for this game and it did not disappoint. Nearly got the 3DS or whatever for the sticker one. Anyone have any suggestions for good Wii games to play while I wait for Nintendo to release something?

A bit late on this, but don't get Super Paper Mario. The writing's decent, but the gameplay is hugely uninteresting and unchanging. Seriously, the final boss is defeated by jumping on him like 8-10 times depending on your level.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Random Stranger posted:

The first time Gunpei Yokoi did that it turned out great.

The second time...

I mostly just want more Wario and especially Waluigi games, honestly :saddowns:

Year of Luigi is BS, Waluigi über alles.

e: There is always a huge bomb of a conference at E3 and for that I will always be excited. Actual exciting news is the cherry on top of an awkwardness sundae.

BRB going back to watch highlights of those amazing Konami and Ubisoft conferences.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 24, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatn posted:

Who's to say? They could go up there and do a thirty minute presentation on Wii mUsic like they did that one year.

They just gave a list of a shitload of games confirmed to be released for the WiiU that will probably be at E3 and this has been confirmed like months ago as well

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I predict one product that will be designed for the broader market that will utterly baffle nerds who will then make fun of it for months.
This happens every time. And ironically, those titles usually sell insane amounts (see: Wii Fit, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Party). A lot of people seem to think E3 is made for them, and if every announcement isn't exactly the kind of game they want, they fill forums with angry whining for several days afterwards.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alex WS posted:

This happens every time. And ironically, those titles usually sell insane amounts (see: Wii Fit, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Party). A lot of people seem to think E3 is made for them, and if every announcement isn't exactly the kind of game they want, they fill forums with angry whining for several days afterwards.

see also: Wii Music, Vitality sensor, etc. Also nerds were the first big pushers of NSMB because we'd been starved of 2D platformers for like a decade. I forget if we'd learned to hate them by the time the Wii version came around, though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cliff Racer posted:

see also: Wii Music

Well they were kinda right on that one :v:

Wii Music could/should have been amazing. It was weaksauce.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope they pull a joke where they say "Here to introduce a new entry in a franchise you all are familiar with, it's one of our favorite E3 speakers from years past: Ravi Drums!"

Ravi Drums comes out and introduces the new Zelda, which has absolutely nothing to do with drums.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Complete global Satoruation.

We can only hope. Iwata seems to know what he's doing, and seems to like telling us what he's doing, too. At least that's the feeling I get.

By the way I know it's a port, but RE:Revelaitons is the best RE game since RE4 and gets back some of the creepy atmosphere and difficulty the older games had. You don't feel like you're the Macho Man full of machine guns and grenade launchers always, and there's the character/story swapping aspect so sometimes you can be the Macho Man (but he frequently finds himself in lovely situations where he can't be macho). It's more RE6 than RE5 or RE6-proper were, if that makes sense, and I think I read some developer interview where they agreed to that effect.

Unless they somehow gently caress it up it should be fantastic on the Wii U.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

greatn posted:

I hope they pull a joke where they say "Here to introduce a new entry in a franchise you all are familiar with, it's one of our favorite E3 speakers from years past: Ravi Drums!"

Ravi Drums comes out and introduces the new Zelda, which has absolutely nothing to do with drums.

A sequel to DK Jungle Beat

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get excited for Nintendo's E3. It should start off a good second half of 2013. Pikmin, Super Luigi Bros. U, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Resident Evil Revelations U, Wii Fit U, Assassin's Creed 4, Watchdogs, Wind Waker U, The Wonderful 101, and Mario Kart U could all add up to a great recovery, especially if they put out a Mario Kart U bundle about two to four weeks before the PS4/Next Xbox hits so that they have strong sales going into the holidays.

Even if sales don't pick up, at least we'll all have quite a few great games to play.

Is it weird i'm sitting here looking at the Splinter Cell videos for the WiiU version and going "Yknow... I could see myself buying that..." I haven't picked one up since the first all those moons ago.

Crowbear posted:

I mostly just want more Wario and especially Waluigi games, honestly :saddowns:

Year of Luigi is BS, Waluigi über alles.

e: There is always a huge bomb of a conference at E3 and for that I will always be excited. Actual exciting news is the cherry on top of an awkwardness sundae.

BRB going back to watch highlights of those amazing Konami and Ubisoft conferences.

Yessssssssssssss. Between Konami's weird as poo poo conference that one year and Joel McHale getting ambushed by french laser tag guys at Ubisoft's that other year and all the way back to 07 with drunk rear end Jamie Kennedy no selling everything for Activision, I always look forward to the non big 3 press conferences the most.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know if anything can beat one million troobs or head falls off guy or "That's right, Beyblade is back" from that Konami one two years ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

greatn posted:

I don't know if anything can beat one million troobs or head falls off guy or "That's right, Beyblade is back" from that Konami one two years ago.

The Capcom one which was just an hour long press conference for the Lost Planet movie remains one of my favourites because of how pissed off it made everyone who went to it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Commissar Ken posted:

Is it weird i'm sitting here looking at the Splinter Cell videos for the WiiU version and going "Yknow... I could see myself buying that..." I haven't picked one up since the first all those moons ago.

Blacklist looks to be keeping the gameplay-style of the last one, Conviction, and that game was much closer to an action game than the stealth-oriented originals.

If Blacklist looks cool, look into playing Conviction, it should be pretty cheap by now.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

You guys are nuts. Ubisoft consistently has the best press conferences. I even enjoyed Story Time with James Cameron back when I thought he was a cool guy (before I saw Avatar).

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

greatn posted:

Konami's presentation that year was fantastic. Everything just meshed together and made you wonder if you were watching the real thing or a very good parody. The angry luchadors, the flamboyant japanese fellow with the dancing game, the choir singing along to Glee karaoke... Everything was so perfect. The only presentation that's near Konami's was the Nintendo one with Ravi Drums, Cammie Dunnaway being awkward, and Miyamoto and friends dancing to Wii Music.

I keep hoping for such utter strangeness instead of only boredom.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I miss Cammie.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

greatn posted:

Goron bongo drums, muckalucka.

Also, Nintendo needs to have another E3 showing like 2010. Microsoft and Sony were plugging their new motion controls to lukewarm reception, Nintendo busted out a new Zelda*, new Donkey Kong, new Kirby, Goldeneye remake, new Other M footage, and Epic Mickey**. The difference is that they need to have a strong E3 at the beginning of the console's life cycle this time. That will get people excited about Wii U.

*the Zelda demo was embarrassing, but the trailer was good and so were the show-floor impressions.
**Epic Mickey sucked all the fucks, but at the time it looked really neat and was controlling better than Zelda :v:

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 24, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

A sequel to DK Jungle Beat

That would actually own.

Except since they removed the GC ports you couldn't plug in your bongos anymore!

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That would actually own.

Except since they removed the GC ports you couldn't plug in your bongos anymore!

They did re-release it for Wii though with new controls.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Pokémon Rumble U, a.k.a. Skylanders Nintendo got a few detail updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bFtgm1vc8

And here are some of the adorable figurines:

This is going to make a lot of money.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Soul Glo posted:

Blacklist looks to be keeping the gameplay-style of the last one, Conviction, and that game was much closer to an action game than the stealth-oriented originals.

If Blacklist looks cool, look into playing Conviction, it should be pretty cheap by now.

As much as I enjoyed Conviction, Blacklist's project lead just gave an interview where she claimed Splinter Cell has "limited appeal" from being too complex and requiring too much thinking.

She literally used "thinking game" as a negative toward the franchise, which makes me think she either never played Conviction, or she's off her gourd.

So, you know, it is looking more and more like a rental to me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Oh yeah, the figures are $2 a piece.

Forgotten Memories, originally just an iPad/iPhone game will be coming to the Wii U eShop this summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQ5s4SciLU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCmNjQQEMP8

I guess it borrows a bit from Eternal Darkness. A good thing!

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bFtgm1vc8

And here are some of the adorable figurines:

I think this is a missed opportunity. Instead of launching an eshop game with bulky Pokemon figures, they should have released a big-rear end adventure game cross-compatible on Wii U and 3DS (the 3DS could scan a code under the figures, or have the NFC chip in the game card or something). And the figures should look like proper Pokemons. I don't doubt this will make a ton of money, but I think it could potentially make many times more of given a bigger, more widely appealing treatment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They could use these same figurines in lots of games, and might just do it.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

True, but I still think they would be more appealing if they weren't so drat blocky. Look like caricatures or something.

VVVV Yeah I know that, but most people know and prefer the traditional look, which is why I think that would make the toys more appealing.

Third edit:
Just saw the video. That game looks dull as leaves. Can't imagine people above 12 getting much fun out of it.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's what Pokemon look like in Pokemon Rumble games, which are games about actual Pokemon toys fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Holy poo poo, given how big Skylanders (apparently) is, I can see this being a huge success. That assumes that the Skylanders craze is still going strong (I barely know what the game is).

• Locked thread