Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Almost received all my parts of my home web / media / backup server and need some advice regarding what software setup I roll.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 3225
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H TH
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3
Intel 520 Series 60Gb SSD
Western Digital Red 2Gb x 5
Lian Li Case

My requirements for this computer are:
Media Server - Access for devices across the house - streaming and transcoding
File / Backup Server - Automated backups and torrenting linux distros
Web Server - Web / E-Commerce Development - Still learning Linux so will likely involve needing to be able to re-roll the distro regularly and experiment with different software stacks

Seeing as I have a varied array of uses, many of which are in conflict with each other (stability + long term of a software RAID backup server vs regularly re-rolling for web dev), I thought a possible solution could be to run a bare metal hypervisor on the machine and then to virtualise a number of operating systems. These would be: 2 x Linux - one for file server, one for web server + 1 x Windows - for technologically challenged others in house. The web server instance and the windows instance would only be run as required, with the file server running continuously. How much power consumption could I expect from running the file server through virtualisation instead of without?

What would the preferred VM software be for a setup like this, considering I have no experience in virtualisation? (Money is no object)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blacksun posted:

Seeing as I have a varied array of uses, many of which are in conflict with each other (stability + long term of a software RAID backup server vs regularly re-rolling for web dev), I thought a possible solution could be to run a bare metal hypervisor on the machine and then to virtualise a number of operating systems. These would be: 2 x Linux - one for file server, one for web server + 1 x Windows - for technologically challenged others in house. The web server instance and the windows instance would only be run as required, with the file server running continuously. How much power consumption could I expect from running the file server through virtualisation instead of without?

What would the preferred VM software be for a setup like this, considering I have no experience in virtualisation? (Money is no object)

Most hypervisors aren't going to see those WD drives in a raid array unless you have a hardware raid controller, not the raid controller on the motherboard.

A little googling showed that motherboard on some whitebox builds so ESXi would work. I would stick to Citrix XenServer or VMware vSphere. Hyper-V is an option but I have heard some unsettling things about Hyper-V and linux Guests.

Link to XenServer
http://www.citrix.com/go/xenserver/download.asp.html
Link to vSphere
http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/overview.html

Thirdly you could do KVM but if you are still learning linux I can't say I would recommend it for what you are trying to do.

Course if you are still just playing around you can always install Workstation 9 in windows or Linux. Which Workstation can run, Hyper-V, XenServer, and vSphere so you can get a feel for them without ripping and replacing OS's.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 20, 2013

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

ragzilla posted:

NLB is supported for availability of the connection servers, not sure how it'd work cross site without shared layer 2. I'd avoid DNS unless you're all floating pools that refresh at logoff.

We have been using an active/passive Zen Load Balancer cluster for a free, easy way to do clustered IPs back to multiple replica connection servers.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BelDin posted:

We have been using an active/passive Zen Load Balancer cluster for a free, easy way to do clustered IPs back to multiple replica connection servers.
"The load balancing made easy" :psyduck:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone have some numbers for EFI vs Bios for a VM, not the actual Host but for the VM? Does EFI aside from any new OS requirements provide any real benefit?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Corvettefisher posted:

Most hypervisors aren't going to see those WD drives in a raid array unless you have a hardware raid controller, not the raid controller on the motherboard.

Would they be able to see the RAID across the network on the same computer? If I had the hypervisor running off of the SSD and then had the software RAID created in the Linux file / backup server instance, would the Windows instance be able to access the RAID across the virtual network?

quote:

A little googling showed that motherboard on some whitebox builds so ESXi would work. I would stick to Citrix XenServer or VMware vSphere. Hyper-V is an option but I have heard some unsettling things about Hyper-V and linux Guests.

Link to XenServer
http://www.citrix.com/go/xenserver/download.asp.html
Link to vSphere
http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/overview.html

Thirdly you could do KVM but if you are still learning linux I can't say I would recommend it for what you are trying to do.

Course if you are still just playing around you can always install Workstation 9 in windows or Linux. Which Workstation can run, Hyper-V, XenServer, and vSphere so you can get a feel for them without ripping and replacing OS's.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Perhaps I'm making this too complicated for myself. Could I achieve the same thing by running Linux, then a virtualisation program in Linux and virtualising the other Linux instance and the Windows instance? I know that the more modern virtualisation programs don't incur a heavy performance penalty from running within an OS rather than bare metal, so would I really lose anything by structuring it this way? Would this make it easier for my RAID setup too?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blacksun posted:

Would they be able to see the RAID across the network on the same computer? If I had the hypervisor running off of the SSD and then had the software RAID created in the Linux file / backup server instance, would the Windows instance be able to access the RAID across the virtual network?

If you have say an NFS or ISCSI service up realize it is then talking to a service on the target, which whatever the taget sees and is configured as will be presented as you want. Hell if non production you could make to VMDKS on two disks and then software RAID the VMDK's on different disks.

quote:

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Perhaps I'm making this too complicated for myself. Could I achieve the same thing by running Linux, then a virtualisation program in Linux and virtualising the other Linux instance and the Windows instance? I know that the more modern virtualisation programs don't incur a heavy performance penalty from running within an OS rather than bare metal, so would I really lose anything by structuring it this way? Would this make it easier for my RAID setup too?

You could, do that, Windows or linux will both run Workstation just fine. CentOS may just have a lower overhead.

I really need to ask before answering, is the production or home/or play

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
Just home / play, no production or mission critical tasks will be run off of this computer. The Linux instance with the file / backup server is as close to mission critical as it comes. The other Linux instance will be used to test environments for wordpress / magento, and the Windows instance to play media on the TV / home theatre setup it will be hooked up to.

I've googled the terms you used in your first response (also if you can use this as a gauge of how new I am to virtualisation..) and I think I understand what you are referring to.

As the three OS instances will require very little space (the most space intensive will be the Windows install, maybe 30Gb then the remaining space divided between the two Linux instances as required) I was imagining that the RAID could just solely be used as file storage space, so hopefully I wouldn't have to get into the territory of VMDKs.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If this is for play and stuff just do a workstation install, it does everything you want for now, and in all honesty is probably the best intro to virtualization out there. When things become production look into some HCL ESXi hardware. maybe some VPD or Veeam for backups.

Here YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR A 30 day trial here. completely free and should help you find what you need to do, feel free to ask questions!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 21, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

blacksun posted:

Just home / play, no production or mission critical tasks will be run off of this computer. The Linux instance with the file / backup server is as close to mission critical as it comes. The other Linux instance will be used to test environments for wordpress / magento, and the Windows instance to play media on the TV / home theatre setup it will be hooked up to.

I've googled the terms you used in your first response (also if you can use this as a gauge of how new I am to virtualisation..) and I think I understand what you are referring to.

As the three OS instances will require very little space (the most space intensive will be the Windows install, maybe 30Gb then the remaining space divided between the two Linux instances as required) I was imagining that the RAID could just solely be used as file storage space, so hopefully I wouldn't have to get into the territory of VMDKs.

Do you have any need to use this a straight desktop machine?

If not, I would go with a similar build as what I have. Mini ITX board/case with an i7 3770. 16gb memory. ESXi boots off a thumbdrive and I have a 256gb SSD for local storage of VMs. I plan on grabbing an IBM M1015 with a handful of 3tb drives once they drop a little more in price. I'll pass the M1015 through to a FreeNAS/NAS4Free VM and share that back out for my backup/media.

This is powerful enough for me to spin up small labs/mysql server for XBMC/whatever I feel like loving with.

My current only regret is I am capped at 16gb memory with the Mini ITX form factor, but the box is small and sits headless on a cabinet. If I ever was going to upgrade it, it would be the smallest MicroATX case that I can fit a ton of drives inside + a new mobo for a second PCI-e slow and 32gb memory.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006

Moey posted:

Do you have any need to use this a straight desktop machine?

If not, I would go with a similar build as what I have. Mini ITX board/case with an i7 3770. 16gb memory. ESXi boots off a thumbdrive and I have a 256gb SSD for local storage of VMs. I plan on grabbing an IBM M1015 with a handful of 3tb drives once they drop a little more in price. I'll pass the M1015 through to a FreeNAS/NAS4Free VM and share that back out for my backup/media.

This is powerful enough for me to spin up small labs/mysql server for XBMC/whatever I feel like loving with.

My current only regret is I am capped at 16gb memory with the Mini ITX form factor, but the box is small and sits headless on a cabinet. If I ever was going to upgrade it, it would be the smallest MicroATX case that I can fit a ton of drives inside + a new mobo for a second PCI-e slow and 32gb memory.

Previously the last lounge computer I had was utilised quite frequently as a straight desktop machine, and I was trying to think laterally about how I could achieve this as well as fill the rest of my needs.

There would only ever be two instances running at one point of time, am I really likely to hit a roof of system performance with specs like I have? I can't imagine running backups to the RAID, playing media or browsing the internet, or running Magento (which to test real world environments will always be running limited to one core / 1ghz + 1Gb or RAM).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

blacksun posted:

Previously the last lounge computer I had was utilised quite frequently as a straight desktop machine, and I was trying to think laterally about how I could achieve this as well as fill the rest of my needs.

There would only ever be two instances running at one point of time, am I really likely to hit a roof of system performance with specs like I have? I can't imagine running backups to the RAID, playing media or browsing the internet, or running Magento (which to test real world environments will always be running limited to one core / 1ghz + 1Gb or RAM).

If it is going to be used as a traditional desktop as well, go with Corvettefisher's suggestion then.

I currently am eyeballs deep in machines, so having one dedicated running headless for VMs/lab work is fine (One mini ESXi server, one desktop, one personal laptop and two work laptops).

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006

Corvettefisher posted:

If this is for play and stuff just do a workstation install, it does everything you want for now, and in all honesty is probably the best intro to virtualization out there. When things become production look into some HCL ESXi hardware. maybe some VPD or Veeam for backups.

Here YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR A 30 day trial here. completely free and should help you find what you need to do, feel free to ask questions!

Does VMware play nicely with Ubuntu? A quick Google seems to point to yes, but it's always worth asking. Only because if I want to go down the ZFS route for my RAID, it seems that Ubuntu is the best option.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blacksun posted:

Does VMware play nicely with Ubuntu? A quick Google seems to point to yes, but it's always worth asking. Only because if I want to go down the ZFS route for my RAID, it seems that Ubuntu is the best option.

Yup, I prefer running it on Centos but yeah works fine on ubuntu as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

blacksun posted:

Does VMware play nicely with Ubuntu?
It's a supported OS. You probably want to run LTS.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

blacksun posted:

Does VMware play nicely with Ubuntu?

Most of the virtualization development at VMware actually happens on Linux. Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat, and Fedora are all really common. Ubuntu is probably going to be one of the better experiences. It is the most common distro used for the graphics work at least.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Need advice as we're considering moving to a VMware setup. We currently have a pair of servers ( 1x quad core X3210 2.13G processor, 8GB ram, 4x 7200 rpm sata disks ) running centos and xen. Each server hosts 3 vms, one of which is a mysql instance. This has now become disk bound so we are looking to upgrade to a flash setup.

What we are thinking of getting

2x

HP DL360p
2 x hex core E5-2620
32 GB ram
365 GB fusion io iodrive2
3 x 600GB SAS disks

VMWare essentials
(don't need vmotion or the more advanced features )

We would want to be able to run about 8 VMs per server max (3-4 web server , 1 app server, 2 mysql).
Does this seem reasonable ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jre posted:

Need advice as we're considering moving to a VMware setup. We currently have a pair of servers ( 1x quad core X3210 2.13G processor, 8GB ram, 4x 7200 rpm sata disks ) running centos and xen. Each server hosts 3 vms, one of which is a mysql instance. This has now become disk bound so we are looking to upgrade to a flash setup.

What we are thinking of getting

2x

HP DL360p
2 x hex core E5-2620
32 GB ram
365 GB fusion io iodrive2
3 x 600GB SAS disks

VMWare essentials
(don't need vmotion or the more advanced features )

We would want to be able to run about 8 VMs per server max (3-4 web server , 1 app server, 2 mysql).
Does this seem reasonable ?

What's the 3x600GB drives for?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bob Morales posted:

What's the 3x600GB drives for?

"slow" storage.

Was going to have the os images and database on the flash card and use the drives storing stuff like photos ( of which have gigs and gigs off).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So, what happens when a server has a hardware error? What happens if the FusionIO card dies? Is downtime like that acceptable?

If Disk is the only thing you are hitting the limit on DISK I/O wouldn't a flash accelerated NAS work as well, while provide you with minimized downtime in a host failure?

Are you seeing CPU and Memory Constraint on your hosts? The Servers you sized out are very very beefy, I'm not saying not to plan ahead but if you will never use more that 30% of those resources why spend all that dosh, when it could go to something to provide HA and minimize downtime.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Corvettefisher posted:

So, what happens when a server has a hardware error? What happens if the FusionIO card dies? Is downtime like that acceptable?

If Disk is the only thing you are hitting the limit on DISK I/O wouldn't a flash accelerated NAS work as well, while provide you with minimized downtime in a host failure?

Are you seeing CPU and Memory Constraint on your hosts? The Servers you sized out are very very beefy, I'm not saying not to plan ahead but if you will never use more that 30% of those resources why spend all that dosh, when it could go to something to provide HA and minimize downtime.

We already have load balancing across the pair of servers so that's what we use for HA. ( We have a full set of vms running on each physical host). I want to spec it such that one server would to be able to handle the entire load in the event of a failure.

The overkill is because we are expanding rapidly and the demand on the services, particularly the DB is likely to increase quite a lot so I want to make sure I don't run out of IO in a years time after spending the money.

I considered something like having a flash accelerated NAS but the hosting fees of having an additional two servers would negate the benefits. In addition the existing servers are 5 years old, so I would want to replace them anyway which would mean getting 4 new servers instead of 2.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So I take it you are using some application base load balancing and availability? If you are okay with that then yes I am sure your configuration will be much faster than what you have.

IMO,
If you are expanding rapidly that would even give me more reason to invest in a NAS then compared to beefy storage hosts. Not only would you gain the ability to scale the environment better. You eliminate having to buy hardware(storage) twice to mimic the configs on both servers.

E: by "hosting fees" are these servers residing offsite?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Corvettefisher posted:

So I take it you are using some application base load balancing and availability? If you are okay with that then yes I am sure your configuration will be much faster than what you have.

We have a pair of hardware load balancers upstream of the webserver vms. The mysql instances use floating ips and MMM / heartbeat HA stuff.

Corvettefisher posted:

IMO,
If you are expanding rapidly that would even give me more reason to invest in a NAS then compared to beefy storage hosts. Not only would you gain the ability to scale the environment better. You eliminate having to buy hardware(storage) twice to mimic the configs on both servers.

E: by "hosting fees" are these servers residing offsite?

Yes, we don't have our own DC so we pay a per server fee which is significant over the lifetime of the servers.

We would need a pair of servers for NAS to avoid a single point of failure so wouldn't we be buying hardware twice anyway ?
I take your point that having a storage backend and multiple host machines has a better roadmap for scaling out.

Do you have any experience with fusion io or similar PCI express flash cards. My main concern was how well the database stuff would run virtualised even with the flash card.
(thanks for all the feedback its appreciated)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My shiny new R620s and PS6100x have been sitting, racked, down at the datacenter for two weeks now and I'm no closer to getting our new VMWare environment setup. It seems that there's a nationwide backorder on PowerConnect switches and the earliest they expect to get them to us is May 7th.

This is killing me being so close to having a correctly configured and reliable cluster setup and being able to do nothing about it!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

bull3964 posted:

PowerConnect switches

Barf. Good luck with them man. We just had to forklift all ours out cause we hated them

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Syano posted:

Barf. Good luck with them man. We just had to forklift all ours out cause we hated them

Ditto that. We had a reproducible problem where rebooting a certain server would bring down the portchannels to our SAN. We already had cisco switches to replace them, so we just took then out of production and recycled the evil things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's an end to end Dell solution. If there's a problem with them, they have to fix it.

It's two switches, three servers, and one SAN. Not exactly a very complex environment.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
My biggest problem with Equallogic SAN's is their snapshots are amazingly inefficient. I hope you don't plan on keeping anything with them for long. Otherwise they're not bad, certainly cake to configure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sanchez posted:

My biggest problem with Equallogic SAN's is their snapshots are amazingly inefficient. I hope you don't plan on keeping anything with them for long. Otherwise they're not bad, certainly cake to configure.

Probably the most we'll use snapshots for is backing up a VM right before doing any sort of maintenance on it.

Seriously, right now we're using local storage with hyper-V on like 6 SAS drives and a $200 LSI card. Massive improvement is the understatement of the century.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Anyone have experiences with setting up VMs with public IPs?

I own a small chunk of route-able public IPs, and I want to assign them to my VMs.

I'm using VMWare Workstation with a Windows host, and I bridged my guest OS's connections to the NIC that my host machine's using to connect to the Internet. What else do I need to do? I set the correct settings in my guest OS's IP configurations, but it can't ping anything in the vLAN, much less to the Internet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nescience posted:

I own a small chunk of route-able public IPs, and I want to assign them to my VMs.

I'm using VMWare Workstation with a Windows host, and I bridged my guest OS's connections to the NIC that my host machine's using to connect to the Internet. What else do I need to do? I set the correct settings in my guest OS's IP configurations, but it can't ping anything in the vLAN, much less to the Internet.

Why would you want to do this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

nescience posted:

What are you trying to do exactly?

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Moey posted:

Why would you want to do this?

Corvettefisher posted:

What are you trying to do exactly?

The host is a remote server and I want to divide up the resources to host smaller virtual servers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My preferred answer: install a firewall that can accept the routed subnet from your ISP. Configure it to NAT each public IP 1-to-1 to whatever private IP's you want to assign to your VM's. Configure that same firewall to only forward traffic on the ports each VM needs. That way your poo poo isn't sitting directly on a public IP and getting hacked .0002 seconds after you boot it. You could also consider something as simple as NAT with port forwarding if each VM is offering unique services.

But anyway, we need more info. How is the Windows host connected to the internet? Is it directly connected to a cable modem or something with a publicly routable IP? Is it sitting behind a home router on 192.168.1.xxx? A real business class router from the likes of Cisco or Juniper and I'm offending you by asking this? ;)

If you renumber the Windows host to one of the other IP's you're trying to assign to a VM, can it still get online?

Trying to narrow down if it's a networking problem upstream of the VM's or a VMware config problem.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 25, 2013

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
I actually just tried to assign another one of my ips to my host and it didn't work, guess I need to speak to my provider.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
This thread is usually mainly VMware-focused, but... any goons going to Citrix Synergy next month?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh Dell, you are so bad at logistics. I mentioned yesterday about being told the switches are hung up and won't arrive until May 7th. They arrived at our datacenter a half hour ago. How does a company that large have no idea that they shipped something out?

That's good news a least, it moves up when I can have this VMware cluster in place by a few weeks.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

nescience posted:

I actually just tried to assign another one of my ips to my host and it didn't work, guess I need to speak to my provider.
What hardware are you using for this? What does your network setup look like?

From your prior post it looks like you have a windows box connected straight to the internet and bridging off that? is that correct?

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Corvettefisher posted:

What hardware are you using for this? What does your network setup look like?

From your prior post it looks like you have a windows box connected straight to the internet and bridging off that? is that correct?

I feel kind of stupid after all of this, but long story short, I wasn't configuring my VMs with correct IP addresses. I've only discovered the error a few minutes ago, I'm about to test them out, I think I'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Is there an easy way to test PXE install of ESXi into a VM? We're acquiring new hypervisors and I'd like to not have to screw around with install media, but I'd like to try it out on a VM first.