Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks to that intensive GS training, I managed to capture Brachydios on my first try, armed only with Low Rank equipment! (With the exception of a full set of Aseptic gems.) I mean, it wasn't easy and I fainted once when I got cocky, but the thread advice is absolutely correct: getting good with greatswords really is the way to get good with the game, period.

That Rage mode is certainly, uh, explosive. Unfortunately I'm one Ebonshell away from having a pair of Dios Slicers. So I guess I've gotta do it again. Maybe I'll kill a low-rank Barioth to upgrade this Cataclysm Sword, that oughta speed the process up a bit next time.

I've been working my way through while wearing low-rank Rathian armor because it makes me look like a knight and killing a bunch of HR Rathians might take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nociception
Apr 23, 2013
I was looking at getting Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS. Would you suggest getting the Circle Pad Pro to play this game?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nociception posted:

I was looking at getting Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS. Would you suggest getting the Circle Pad Pro to play this game?

I picked one up after a bit of play. It definitely makes the game a lot easier to control but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary. Give it a go without the CPP and then pick one up if you get sick of fighting with the camera.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
If you shrink the virtual d-pad and move it to the right it does fine, but you have to reach too far with default in my opinion.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That Rage mode is certainly, uh, explosive. Unfortunately I'm one Ebonshell away from having a pair of Dios Slicers. So I guess I've gotta do it again. Maybe I'll kill a low-rank Barioth to upgrade this Cataclysm Sword, that oughta speed the process up a bit next time.

Did you check your minion's loot? Sometimes you get lucky and they pick up an extra drop. I've had a few times where they had the critical piece.

But don't worry, you'll need to immediately grind him again for the next upgrade. Make sure you pick up all the shinies he drops for a chance at the Gem.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 24, 2013

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Speaking of GS training, I made a sheathing, focus, sharpness +1, critical draw set to learn GS, now I just need to learn to use it.

Should I be trying to get Level 3 all day or should I generally just be hitting level 1 (crit draw, though) unless there's a guaranteed big opening?

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice
Monster hunter!!! :argh:

Yes, I know that you know I want a charmer +4 charm, why do you keep taunting me with charmer +3 charms, or no charms at all. I appreciate the +5 hearing +1 slot charm, I really do, but that's not why I've been in this damned hot cave for two days now. Please, I want to hunt more monsters, let me have that charm.

:smith:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66027135

I've been hunting for rare poo poo wrong this entire time :smith:.

All those dead Ivory Lagis when I could have potentially made a smaller pile :shepface:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Here are my complaints for the SEQUEL

* Having to skip through flavour text with every drat vendor.
* Element specific boosts on armor, insanity with five elements and 12 weapon types.
* Spider webs fell through the cracks when they made nearly all resources easy to farm.
* Free hunt is a completely pointless system, everything it does could be part of regular quests.
* For no good reason unable to change your equipment after accepting a quest.
* Can't join friends or search without going into a world and a lobby.
* Can't change a room's target without closing it and remaking.
* Charms as random drops is a dumb idea when the drop tables are up to 20,000 charms.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Carecat posted:

* Element specific boosts on armor, insanity with five elements and 12 weapon types.

Have you considered thinking about the opponent you're up against and carefully choosing weapons and armor with the elements and resistance you need for that opponent?

Crazy, I know.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Or just get the cover-all element up skill if it REALLY bothers you.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It bothers me because I think its complication that someone thought looked good on paper but in practice doesn't make the game better, it's too arbitrary in a game that takes hours to get a weapon or set of armor. Armor that is really good for dual swords might be ice but the armor set for fire has great sword skills etc.... Multiple weapons and armor takes hundreds of kills, you'd probably burn out on the game before you cover them. Yes you can gem it in but even a set with a lot of slots it's hard to get stuff in.

Plus you can farm the easy to get slime weapon and then also easily gem gem bomb up as it is +2, eat for pyro and do as much or more damage to everything for no real effort.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 24, 2013

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Carecat posted:

Here are my complaints for the SEQUEL

* Having to skip through flavour text with every drat vendor.
* Spider webs fell through the cracks when they made nearly all resources easy to farm.
* Free hunt is a completely pointless system, everything it does could be part of regular quests.
* For no good reason unable to change your equipment after accepting a quest.
* Can't join friends or search without going into a world and a lobby.
* Can't change a room's target without closing it and remaking.
* Charms as random drops is a dumb idea when the drop tables are up to 20,000 charms.

Eh, I'm okay with most of the non-netplay decisions as is.

I actually like the flavour text of vendors. It makes the world less sterile than it would be without it.

The elements thing I think everyone will disagree on. Yes, it's an artificial grind enhancer, but then again so is 90% of the game.

Webs not being directly farmable is dumb, but you can gather 3-5 of them from the big webs on maps, and in area 9-10 of D.Island easily. Also, planting herbs with no fertiziler will net you some every harvest.

Free hunt is something you don't really HAVE to do. By doing normal hunts and trading in parts you can easily be set to RP forever (Royal Ludroth sponges, Gobul Whiskers are easy and make bank). The rare commodities you can get are mostly trivial

Charms as random drops is fine since they already have gems as craftable augments. It's a minor way of making not every monster hunter exactly the same loadout per equipment set.

The only personal change I'd make is the ability to use food to increase your odds of getting specific carvings: gem, plates, tails. And make base level armor/weapons not need one to make it.

Make it a voucher only ingredient or whatever. But those low drop rates get really tedious.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Carecat posted:

You say that but the armor that is really good for dual swords might be ice but the armor set for fire has great sword skills etc.... Multiple weapons and armor takes hundreds of kills, you'd probably burn out on the game before you cover them. Yes you can gem it in but even a set with a lot of slots it's hard to get stuff in.

Plus you can farm the easy to get slime weapon and then also easily gem gem bomb up as it is +2, eat for pyro and do as much or more damage to everything for no real effort.

Well Slime being busted and Almost Always The Right Choice is an entirely separate issue.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Carecat posted:

It bothers me because I think its complication that someone thought looked good on paper but in practice doesn't make the game better, it's too arbitrary in a game that takes hours to get a weapon or set of armor. Armor that is really good for dual swords might be ice but the armor set for fire has great sword skills etc.... Multiple weapons and armor takes hundreds of kills, you'd probably burn out on the game before you cover them. Yes you can gem it in but even a set with a lot of slots it's hard to get stuff in.

Well, part of the game is taking advantage of armor skills and making a set that suits your playstyle. Sorry if you don't like that.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry that you can't make one set of armor that beats the whole game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nociception posted:

Many are vouching for the touchscreen dpad the game will give you. I bought the CPP for my son though after playing together for a couple weeks, and he thinks it's the best accessory I've bought for him. The touchscreen dpad might be passable, but the CPP makes a very good difference if you can afford it.

I'll say this for myself. I have a 3DS myself that I file transfer to from the Wii U, so I have the game to play while on breaks at work. I will NOT do a loving thing in the water if I can avoid it without another analog stick for camera control. I don't like the touchscreen dpad at all, and I prefer that touchpad real estate for other options anyway.

5er fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 24, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Speedboat Jones posted:

Yes because this is exactly what I wrote.

I don't have a problem with elements, I've been farming weapons to cover everything but I struggle with armor when so many have questionably useful skills and I'd probably get more mileage out of a just using one with HG Earplugs/Sharpness+1.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 24, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Right about the only glitchy 'game mechanic' thing that bothers me right now is how when a flying monster is taking off to leave a zone, you'll STILL have the increased stamina degradation if you're running to a zone door and they're technically behind you. It's an incredibly small complaint that's easy to get over / deal with, but it flicks a neurosis with me.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Carecat posted:

Yes because this is exactly what I wrote.

That's honestly kind of the impression you give, though. You seem mad about having too many choices and too many things to balance when that is literally the entire point of the game.

If you don't like it, make a set of armor with high raw defense and a weapon with high raw damage. I use hammers in part because I can make a good raw weapon (I'm currently using the Devil's Due) and have it work perfectly fine for literally every monster without a second thought.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Oh goodness, just got a gem with artillery+10 and 2* slots. Good thing I use gunlances :getin:

LemonAIDS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 24, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, I've taken down Brachydios four times with only a single Ebonshell to show for my efforts.

This is going to bother me be a trend, isn't it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well, I've taken down Brachydios four times with only a single Ebonshell to show for my efforts.

It's a trend that technically would've become observable if you bent yourself toward getting parts with really low drop percentages off LR monsters previous to Brachy. I think I killed 20 rathalos, successful tail carves every fight, before I finally saw a rathalos plate. I love the gently caress out of the armor, but I am still not sure if I made the right decision spending so much time on that bastard.

Question, which incidentally involves my rathalos armor: I have the powercharm in my inventory, the rathalos full suit medium damage buff, and I routinely eat +damage buff food, largely because I want Felyne Slugger active forever. Are all these damage bonuses stacking?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Me too, because it's perfectly easy to do exactly this in a variety of ways. :v:

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

Oh goodness, just got a gem with artillery+10 and 3 slots. Good thing I use gunlances :getin:

Unless the charm table I'm using is incorrect this gem is impossible to get. The most you could get would be +1 Stam Drain +10 Artiller 2 sockets.

Maybe the charm table is wrong though.

EDIT: The only reason I know is because I played gunlance and was looking to see if you could get +15 artillery from a charm (and you can't +10 +4 is best you can do).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I fought four or five Brachydios while helping other people with their HR4 questing as an HR3 and mostly I was just trying to get some bugs or armor spheres, and had enough material to make a new SnS and DS for myself, and some armor pieces. But it took forever to get a Great Baggi Claw when hunting with a friend to complete his armor.

The game is pretty advanced and knows what you need at any time, then screws you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Speedboat Jones posted:

But you can if you make a set of armor for each rank and nothing else. You don't need to farm any armor set just to get an elemental bonus just to bring a certain monster down more easily, but you can if you want. Set bonuses are nice and if I take more damage from a certain type of attack due to my armor I don't need to farm something else just to counter it, I'll roll with the punches and just up my game.

If you're going to sperg out and minmax the poo poo out of the game, then that's the only time you need to farm everything but if that's your thing you know what you're in for.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Eh, sometimes you'll be lucky and you'll get all of the materials you need in a single go other times you'll swear they never drop. I had to get a Brachy Gem for my Switch-Axe upgrade and tried farming the fucker for two hours one night before giving up, then next morning I did a 2 Brachy quest and got two Gems which worked out because it allowed me to make a full Brachy set.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I know it would take a lot of extra funding, but it would be refreshing to get a proper full upgrade to the franchise. Load-free maps, redone smooth monster animations, revamped farming, online play that isn't a huge headache, the works. The basic gameplay is excellent, but some of the heirlooms of the franchise could really be killed off.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LemonAIDS posted:

Oh goodness, just got a gem with artillery+10 and 3 slots. Good thing I use gunlances :getin:

:stare: and with gemming, that's an automatic artillery king charm. Lucky pull.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Speedboat Jones posted:

:stare: and with gemming, that's an automatic artillery king charm. Lucky pull.

Said it once. Will say it again. Unless Athena's MH3G Charm Table is wrong that charm doesn't actually exist.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

5er posted:

Question, which incidentally involves my rathalos armor: I have the powercharm in my inventory, the rathalos full suit medium damage buff, and I routinely eat +damage buff food, largely because I want Felyne Slugger active forever. Are all these damage bonuses stacking?

You should be able to check it in the status screen. I know, at the very least, that the charms show a difference in your damage stat. Check it out!

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Bugamol posted:

Unless the charm table I'm using is incorrect this gem is impossible to get. The most you could get would be +1 Stam Drain +10 Artiller 2 sockets.

Maybe the charm table is wrong though.

EDIT: The only reason I know is because I played gunlance and was looking to see if you could get +15 artillery from a charm (and you can't +10 +4 is best you can do).

Oh whoops, typo, yes 2 sockets. I still love it. 1 point away from artillery expert on all armour.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Remember Ping's MH3G Dex that was posted a couple of times already in this thread?
Well, a guy under the name of 'flametornado' made what appears to be an Android version of the database.

I haven't tried it out myself yet, but you can find it on Google Play right here.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Remember Ping's MH3G Dex that was posted a couple of times already in this thread?
Well, a guy under the name of 'flametornado' made what appears to be an Android version of the database.

I haven't tried it out myself yet, but you can find it on Google Play right here.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to give it a try.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
killed MP Brachydios on first try, then went and downed him first try solo. Got lucky and nabbed a gem on my third run and crafted the Dios Axe and a full suit of armor. Rath's fireballs now barely ding my health bar :smug:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I have a question in regards to trapping monsters. I was practicing trapping against a G.Jaggei (in prep for the bear hunt), but I did not get anything for doing it. I'm wondering if I did something wrong? It was during free hunt, I located a dude, weakened him, set the trap and lured him in, hit him with two tranq bombs, and he passed out like he was asleep. I attempted to loot him. But no matter what position I was in (yes my weapons were sheathed) I did not get a prompt. After about 20 seconds, he faded away.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007
If you capture a monster in free hunt the only rewards you get will be a higher chance for rare commodities when you go back and do your Hunt Report at the village.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kilazar posted:

I have a question in regards to trapping monsters. I was practicing trapping against a G.Jaggei (in prep for the bear hunt), but I did not get anything for doing it. I'm wondering if I did something wrong? It was during free hunt, I located a dude, weakened him, set the trap and lured him in, hit him with two tranq bombs, and he passed out like he was asleep. I attempted to loot him. But no matter what position I was in (yes my weapons were sheathed) I did not get a prompt. After about 20 seconds, he faded away.

Also, you can't carve a tranquilized monster.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Kilazar posted:

As others have said, you don't carve off captured monsters.

About the only point I can see to capturing a monster during free hunt is to increase the chances / amount of those rare trade item rewards for the Argosy. Plus you get more resource points on the hunt report. But, 'free hunt' is not where you get rewarded with loot on capture, it's going to be actual missions themselves. The mission reward box will have better stuff in it for a capture, than if you killed a monster to carve off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ok thanks. I watched a video where someone captured the bear, and right after the capture the bear had the "press A" item. So I assumed I still had to "loot" even if it was not carving.

• Locked thread