Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

Edit: is the kid with the sword in the credits meant to be Mihawk? I only managed to ID Kizaru because he was next to the other two admirals. Little Doflamingo is such a pimp.

I'm pretty sure it's Mihawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Here's a lovely cam video of it from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GE1MaLWUY8

Yeah, everyone's right. It was much cooler when no one knew what was going on and everyone just fainted. Which then makes me feel the other hakis might be better invisible, too...

Prison Warden posted:

It's weird how aside from Brook we've seen every other Strawhat as a kid in story already, in flashbacks and such.

Yeah, we had to learn how their parents died. I think only Ussopu and Luffy still have even one parent. Most only had one or zero to start out with.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 19, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Color of Conqueror haki effect in Z doesn't really jive with what it's supposed to be: Scaring others into unconsciousness just by being a badass.

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, everyone's right. It was much cooler when no one knew what was going on and everyone just fainted. Which then makes me feel the other hakis might be better invisible, too...

Yeah, we had to learn how their parents died. I think only Ussopu and Luffy still have even one parent. Most only had one or zero to start out with.
I've been wondering this for a while, but... Is Ussopu one of those weird early scanlation names that people got used to or what? Ussopu has all the Japanophilia-fueled literalism of "Rufi" but none of the charm of "Liar Bu."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Color of Conqueror haki effect in Z doesn't really jive with what it's supposed to be: Scaring others into unconsciousness just by being a badass.

I've been wondering this for a while, but... Is Ussopu one of those weird early scanlation names that people got used to or what? Ussopu has all the Japanophilia-fueled literalism of "Rufi" but none of the charm of "Liar Bu."

Its one of those things people shouldn't really be doing anymore since the romanisaions for all the Strawhats have been shown in comic already (the One Piece world uses English after all). Though I guess I'm guilty of using Brooke and Jimbei and such in the past too.

That said, Shillew, so sometimes the romanisations are just dumb.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wait, it isn't Jimbei? Then what's the official spelling?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty sure both Jimbei and Jinbei are both correctish. According to the internet the romanization is Jinbē.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It's just a case of me never remembering his correct name (sometimes I also type Usoppu) and I guess I think of him more as ウッソプ more than Ussop or something. Incidentally, the German version has Luffy romanized as Rufi and Don Kreig is Don Creek.

Did we ever come to an agreement on what the currency of One Piece is called?

Also, Bon Kurei is named after the holiday Bon Kurei, a specific night in the Obon festival, so his romanized name should be Bon Kurei technically.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 20, 2013

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Having watched the Z's ambition filler from the anime despite the warning (I haven't watched the anime in a while ok, and hand island looks like the dumbest thing), holy hell is it bad. The first episode is ok but it goes way off the rails. In what I think is a sign of a worrying trend, the cp9 powerset being used like a generic movepool is extremely dull, geppu (that's the air step right?) looks incredibly stupid on both Momonga and the longarm guy. I was really feeling everythig BEFORE the battle but then it took a huge nosedive. Everything but alpaccacino and that surreal final battle was pretty much garbage from then on out.

I think the problem is that these fillers are all very 'monster trio' centric and that wastes a lot of potential. We get to see, Luffy, Zoro and Sanji duke it out in every story arc, why not let someone else take the lead? Brooke hamming it up as a ghost was the only tolerable part of the fight scenes in these episodes. Now is pretty much the perfect time to start, with the cast kind of bloated at the moment. I know it's never going to happen, but it just seems like such a simple idea the could make the filler actually worth something to One piece as a whole.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Divine Orator posted:

In what I think is a sign of a worrying trend, the cp9 powerset being used like a generic movepool is extremely dull, geppu (that's the air step right?) looks incredibly stupid on both Momonga and the longarm guy.

You must have missed it where every Vice Admiral at Marineford used rokushiki. This isnt new.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Also, Bon Kurei is named after the holiday Bon Kurei, a specific night in the Obon festival, so his romanized name should be Bon Kurei technically.

Not even "technically", this name has already been explicity written as such:

It's hard losing a habit, I guess.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Petiso posted:

As that poster also shows, his full name his Mr 2 Bon Kurei. He's a man AND a woman, he's a number and a holiday. You are technically wrong if you only use one half of that.
:goonsay:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Divine Orator posted:

Having watched the Z's ambition filler from the anime despite the warning (I haven't watched the anime in a while ok, and hand island looks like the dumbest thing), holy hell is it bad.

Well, we did warn you. :v:

Go and watch Hand Island, it's nowhere near as dumb as the Z filler.

Not to say it isn't dumb, but it's not as dumb and could actually be consider entertaining.

Also, Cody got to be a badass for nearly a full five seconds: (spoilered because it's really just five seconds)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Petiso posted:

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Bentham posted:

In the manga, during the Meet Baroque Works Mini title page arc, Mr. 2's wanted posters are shown with the words "Bon Kurei" written on them;[2] but his name is most often translated as Bon Clay, even in the Japanese One Piece video games. Most fans also say his name is Bon Clay, mostly due to the way the anime pronounces the name. 4Kids, Viz and FUNimation also chose Bon Clay over Bon Kurei. Another change was to his fighting style which was dubbed as "Crazy Karate" instead of Okama Kenpo and as "Oh Come My Way Karate" in the English manga by Viz Media. In the 8th Movie, due to being a theatrical film Toei lifted their censorship, so in the Japanese version, Mr. 2 was an "Okama" again, and practices "Okama Kenpo". Likewise, when FUNimation dubbed the movie, they correctly translated this over as "Crossdresser" and "Crossdresser Kenpo". However, FUNimation used "Ballet Kenpo" in their dub of the TV Anime, in keeping with the Japanese version and also omitted him saying "Okama Way" when he was going to delay Hina.

I just copied the whole paragraph so you can enjoy the details about his okamaness.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I don't really follow the show very much because I already read One Piece but I do check in every now and again to see if there's a new opening, but this one is really bad! The song is bad, and the animation barely looks above what's in a normal episode. It's a shame, too, because We Go was one of the best ones ever.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mischitary posted:

I don't really follow the show very much because I already read One Piece but I do check in every now and again to see if there's a new opening, but this one is really bad! The song is bad, and the animation barely looks above what's in a normal episode. It's a shame, too, because We Go was one of the best ones ever.

After having two of the best openings in 14 and 15, they really had nowhere to go but down for 16.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wow okay so Ceasar Clown works a hell of a lot better in the tv show compared to the comic for some reason.

I think it's the VA that sounds like Orochimaru and the overall color scheme choices that do it for me. Also little detail effects like the weird-as-hell smoke effect FX sound.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Parrotine posted:

Wow okay so Ceasar Clown works a hell of a lot better in the tv show compared to the comic for some reason.

I think it's the VA that sounds like Orochimaru and the overall color scheme choices that do it for me. Also little detail effects like the weird-as-hell smoke effect FX sound.

He's voiced by the same guy who voices Frieza from DBZ and Mayuri from Bleach who also have a purple/white color scheme.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mischitary posted:

This post made me go back and watch all the openings in order. It was neat to see how much the series and art has changed, especially weird was the change in Nami and Robin's design through the years....

Also all good OPs had a Gold Roger monologue :colbert:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

This post made me go back and watch all the openings in order. It was neat to see how much the series and art has changed, especially weird was the change in Nami and Robin's design through the years....

Werd to that. I still think the 3rd OP is pretty much perfect.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I miss having endings. It's probably cheaper to only license one song, but still. :sigh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Magna Kaser posted:

This is wrong because Brand New World is obviously the best one.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Film Z in theatres May 15in France. :toot: Dubbed and subbed, judging by the two trailers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New One Piece is up. This is the fashion show episode. Will Law be able to choose between the best hat ever and the best sword charm ever? This episode is all about Law thinking and rethinking his decisions!

Also, the best exchange:

Luffy: Are you going to betray me?
Law: No

Luffy:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
:sax:

edit: better version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6fAXeBnY8

Ryaomon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 5, 2013

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Gyges posted:

New One Piece is up. This is the fashion show episode. Will Law be able to choose between the best hat ever and the best sword charm ever? This episode is all about Law thinking and rethinking his decisions!

Also, the best exchange:

Luffy: Are you going to betray me?
Law: No

Luffy:

No one touches Law's hat. NOBODY :argh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Turns out the Funimation dub of T-Bone is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U8fMoMQJXM

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it have been better to run UPhill when escaping a cascading slime monster?
Also, what the hell is wrong with Robin's chest?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Countdown until Luffy makes friends with it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is up.

This week we end with one of Luffy's ideas. But what kind of idea is it?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sanji finally gets some alone time with Nami's body and immediately ruins his chances. Pervert or not, being in the opposite sex's body is not something that happens every day, you'd be stupid not to take advantage of it.

Also, apparently devil fruits stay with the body (I guess we already knew that), so why isn't Chopper back to the intelligence of a reindeer? Did I already complain about this? Chopper's powers make no sense.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow0 posted:

Also, apparently devil fruits stay with the body (I guess we already knew that), so why isn't Chopper back to the intelligence of a reindeer? Did I already complain about this? Chopper's powers make no sense.

They switched hearts, not brains.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They switched hearts, not brains.

But the reason he has the intelligence of a human is because he ate the Human Human Fruit. Without that, he should lose all his human powers, which Franky was using as Chopper.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shadow0 posted:

But the reason he has the intelligence of a human is because he ate the Human Human Fruit. Without that, he should lose all his human powers, which Franky was using as Chopper.

Except Chopper still had his heart, which should still be equally affected by the human human fruit. As we all know, the heart is the most important organ in all of One Piece.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Oh, Luffy. You card.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I started watching this show during the week on Hulu. Up to episode 70something, they just sailed away from little garden.

I'll be back in a year when I'm up as far as you guys.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Ape Fist posted:

I started watching this show during the week on Hulu. Up to episode 70something, they just sailed away from little garden.

I made the journey in a mere three months. You can too. Especially if you skip ask the incredibly unpleasant Foxy-filler.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Crazyeyes posted:

I made the journey in a mere three months. You can too. Especially if you skip ask the incredibly unpleasant Foxy-filler.

Uhhhh sorry but afro tattoo boxing Luffy is probably the high point of the series. :colbert:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Azzents posted:

Uhhhh sorry but afro tattoo boxing Luffy is probably the high point of the series. :colbert:

That's not filler.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Azzents posted:

No, he's talking about Foxy in drag.

I know other people pointed this out, I wanted to be specific so you could remember this part, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ape Fist posted:

Someone get a hold of this guy and tell him to skip the filler.