Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Early solicits for July's Superman books are up and Action Comics is getting a Scott Lobdell fill-in issue. If this lasts beyond one issue, I'm dropping all my current Superman books. It'll be a cold day in hell before I support Scott loving Lobdell being the chief architect of the direction of the super-books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Even Batman/Superman? The solicitation for that book sounded more fun than any of the super books.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spanish Matlock posted:

Someone linked me to some costume redesign thing today about making superman look more "alien", and all I could think of was that I've seen an issue where some alien villain of the moment tries to convince superman that he actually does look like an alien and he's really just fooling everyone. I've been googling in vain all day and I can't remember what issue that was, can anyone else remember that or did I just hallucinate it?

I vaguely remember this, though I can't place it exactly on a timeline. I remember it involving Bats, Supes and Plastic Man (of all people) looking for these weird black rocks that infected people and gave them black rock powers? Feel like it should have been a Blackest Night leadup, but not sure.

The villain pulls the alien card on J'onn and Superman, if I remember correctly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was volume five of Superman/Batman titled "The Enemies Among Us". Plastic Man was in the story because Van Sciver really wanted to draw Plastic Man.

End of the arc spoiler: Funny that Mxy was mentioned in the same post, because the evil mastermind in the above story was Martian Manhunter's personal extra dimensional trickster named Zook. Google "Martian Manhunter Zook" to see him. "Zook" just gives you random bullshit.

EDIT: The above mastermind was trying to turn all the aliens on Earth against the planet. Even Hal and Kilowog were pulled into it.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 5, 2013

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I feel so lame, because the unfolded cover to Superboy #19 actually made me say "what the gently caress" out loud before I could catch myself.

In any case that's... interesting. Maybe Justin Jordan will be able to do some interesting things with it.

goldenoreos posted:

Even Batman/Superman? The solicitation for that book sounded more fun than any of the super books.
I was speaking about the current Superman titles. I should've dropped Lobdell's Superman halfway through Hel On Earth but I didn't, and now there's some stupid storyline kicking off involving H.I.V.E. that just seems like it'll be a huge waste of time as well. But at least there, Lobdell has a plan for his stories. Nobody saw the Action thing coming, so anything he does there will definitely won't be his A-game (relatively speaking). So unless they find a solid team to carry Action in the long term, I'll get all my Superman adventures from the 2 new books coming out.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 6, 2013

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013

Space_Butler posted:

I feel so lame, because the unfolded cover to Superboy #19 actually made me say "what the gently caress" out loud before I could catch myself.

One of my first thoughts about the New 52 was if they would try something like this with Superboy. Interesting, here's hoping its not bullshit like every other cover so far.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

That Superboy reveal is interesting, but I would have been perfectly fine with them keeping his Geoff Johns-revamped origin of being a mix of Luthor and Superman. I thought that that was brilliant in its simplicity and a perfect hook for the character.

This could prove interesting though depending on how they run with it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Goon posted:

That Superboy reveal is interesting, but I would have been perfectly fine with them keeping his Geoff Johns-revamped origin of being a mix of Luthor and Superman. I thought that that was brilliant in its simplicity and a perfect hook for the character.

This could prove interesting though depending on how they run with it.

Eh, the Superman/Luthor mix drama is already played out.

At first, I was wondering how having Lois Lane would make any sense. Then I realized: oh. The mastermind is General Sam Lane.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Wait then what was with all the Unless his other half is some kind of amoral narcissist :cough: luthor foreshadowing?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Yawgmoft posted:

Wait then what was with all the Unless his other half is some kind of amoral narcissist :cough: luthor foreshadowing?

Why do you think Superman isn't dating Lois anymore? :tinfoil:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Yawgmoft posted:

If only this were more like Red Son, huh?

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I wonder if in 20 years we'll have a book where baby Superman lands in North Korea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

horsepeen posted:

I wonder if in 20 years we'll have a book where baby Superman lands in North Korea.

I would drink the blood of a newborn baby to read this now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there are no words for how much I unironically want a...welp there's no play on 'Red Son' that isn't racist as gently caress so I guess "Dear Leader Superman?"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yawgmoft posted:

I felt that foreshadowing was mostly by people when he wasn't leaping to save people in the simulation that they believed was indistinguishable from the real word except superboy knew it was fake. The rest of it can pretty much just be summed up as "He's a teenager with little understanding of the real world."

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
So Superboy 19 ended up being more of a Harvest origin story than a Superboy one, but it's about time he's given a backstory and motivation. They probably should've released this issue a while ago during the whole Culling nonsense. At least then he would've been seen as more than an unbeatable video game boss.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Superboy 19 was horrible and basically removed any sort of streamlined simplicity from his origin.

So.... Superboy is the clone of the son of Lois Lane and Superman from an alternate future brought back to our time with a bit of Harvest's chronal particles thrown into the mix but is somehow even more powerful than the original?

Jesus Christ, way to loving go Lobdell. If you want to write Cable so badly just move to Marvel.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Turns out Scott Lobdell won't just be doing a one-off issue of Action, he'll be writing a fill-in arc.

As soon as the Diggle/Daniels arc ends, I'm dropping till another team gets on the book. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend 5 bucks an issue on something Lobdell writes. I may just use the opportunity to finally drop Superman as well. Sticking with Unchained and Batman/Superman seems like a good way to go.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

The Goon posted:

Jesus Christ, way to loving go Lobdell. If you want to write Cable so badly just move to Marvel.

How long until Liedfeld comes back with Superboy/Deathstroke?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Space_Butler posted:

So Superboy 19 ended up being more of a Harvest origin story than a Superboy one, but it's about time he's given a backstory and motivation. They probably should've released this issue a while ago during the whole Culling nonsense. At least then he would've been seen as more than an unbeatable video game boss.

About time? He never deserved a backstory. He doesn't deserve to exist. He's one of the worst character creations to come out of New 52.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rhyno posted:

I bet a customer that Marvel wasn't stupid enough to cast a wrestler in a major role and the loser had to drink a bottle of tobasco sauce.

loving Batista.

Um...may I ask about this, please? It's very much a WTF over here. I'd love to hear more.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I like how getting Power Girl back into her old outfit was just a change of clothes because her other outfit was trashed. Even with the weird chest window it's still so much better.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
We were talking about color symbols in class today and after the thousandth time of hearing "purple= loyalty" I came to this realization:

Purple= royalty, green= envy is a really good way to look at how Luthor sees himself. In the battlesuit, at least. (He probably doesn't see the green as envy but maybe he does. He has to be pretty aware of his jealousy of Superman at this point.)

I hope the battlesuit still exists in this new 52 universe, is what I'm saying.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

A remote controlled battle suite popped up near the end of Grant Morrison's Action Comics run.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

kdrudy posted:

I like how getting Power Girl back into her old outfit was just a change of clothes because her other outfit was trashed. Even with the weird chest window it's still so much better.

We'll end up seeing less skin with the boob window then we have seen in every appearance so far. Seriously It is somehow the exact level of titillation to make the costume immune to spontaneous clothes explosion.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bloodly posted:

Um...may I ask about this, please? It's very much a WTF over here. I'd love to hear more.

BSS Goons are 0-2 when it comes to Eating Stuff bets.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I made a Supes and if I made one, you probably should too

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

^burtle posted:

BSS Goons are 0-2 when it comes to Eating Stuff bets.

I meant about Bastista somehow becoming 'a major role'.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Bloodly posted:

I meant about Bastista somehow becoming 'a major role'.
He's going to be Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy. If that movie is moderately successful he could eventually show up, even in cameo, in Avenger's 2. Superhero Movies have been really hit or miss but when they hit, they hit

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
New interview with Lobdell explaining more about his sure-to-be-dumb arc on Action. Also of note, he's now gonna be writing issue 25 as well. Every interview this guy does, he reveals DC has given him another issue. And since after all this there's still that storyline with the black suit set in Kryptons past, I am absolutely mortified of the thought that DC will just hand over both existing Superman titles to Scott loving Lobdell for the forseeable future.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Space_Butler posted:

New interview with Lobdell explaining more about his sure-to-be-dumb arc on Action. Also of note, he's now gonna be writing issue 25 as well. Every interview this guy does, he reveals DC has given him another issue. And since after all this there's still that storyline with the black suit set in Kryptons past, I am absolutely mortified of the thought that DC will just hand over both existing Superman titles to Scott loving Lobdell for the forseeable future.

That doesn't sound half bad actually and Superman 19 was pretty fun. He seems to be writing the kind of wacky poo poo that was really popular on the Silver Age and it's a nice change of pace for Superman.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Scott Lobdell posted:

I'm grateful for the opportunity to share in Superman's 75th Anniversary year with two such great writers, and I promise not to let anyone down!

Whoops!

Every interview where he talks about Superman just depresses the hell out of me. How does a guy who tells superhero stories for a living have so little grasp of Superman in a thematic sense?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He seems to be writing the kind of wacky poo poo that was really popular on the Silver Age
He sure does, like thought bubbles and narration boxes filled with self-explanatory dialogue. That's why I can't stand it anymore. And I genuinely don't mind him doing whatever over in the vanilla title, it's actually improved from the Jurgens/Perez runs quite a bit. But after going from Morrison's time-spanning epic to Diggles cut-too-short arc to... intergalactic biker gang fill-in arc? It reeks of DC saying "we don't have any idea what to do with Action now that the big names have left or quit", which is especially aggravating since Scholly Fisch proved for 19 issues (20, including the annual) he can write some genuinely emotional, impressive Superman stories.

But I guess all my complaining is moot anyway since DC's biggest focus with Superman this year is "synergizing" Man of Steel to Superman Unchained. I don't think they really care what happens to the other titles as long as Snyder gets them another top 10 book.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 24, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That doesn't sound half bad actually and Superman 19 was pretty fun. He seems to be writing the kind of wacky poo poo that was really popular on the Silver Age and it's a nice change of pace for Superman.

Wacky poo poo would be fun. It's unfortunate that Scott Lobdell cannot write wacky poo poo. Or good poo poo. Just poo poo poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just three issues. You can wait for whoever's next. He's probably one of the only people prepared to chuck an arc together in two months notice. If it's at all entertaining, then good on him.

but...
"Hector Hammond, or "Mindstorm," as he is soon going to be known"

Why does Hector Hammond need a persona? The massive head psychic coma guy is a great, different villain.
I haven't read today's Superman, but I love him as an antagonist.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's just three issues. You can wait for whoever's next.
Up to four, now, as noted in the interview. Also, immediately following his fill-in issues is supposed to be the beginning of that title-spanning crossover taking place on Krypton in the past with the black suit. It seems far more likely they're going to just hand the whole thing over to Lobdell than start a brand new creative team off with a crossover storyline that was teased a year prior to when it finally starts off. Remember, Diggle and Daniel were going to be a part of this, before they both decided to leave, so this has been in the works for a while now.

I absolutely pray I'm wrong, but it's too convenient for them to not just keep the Lobdell train going with the way things have already been set in motion.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's just three issues. You can wait for whoever's next. He's probably one of the only people prepared to chuck an arc together in two months notice. If it's at all entertaining, then good on him.

but...

Why does Hector Hammond need a persona? The massive head psychic coma guy is a great, different villain.

And even then, why not the way more appropriate "Brainstorm?"

edit: Also is every writer just ignoring Morrison's "Collector of Worlds" sentient network angle and going back to the Johns Brainiac from before? Or is there going to be some attempt to reconcile the two?

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 25, 2013

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

As soon as Morrison leaves a title almost everything he introduced is thrown out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least there's nothing to really retcon unless they really, really need to reintroduce Mxyzptlk as a hardened buff badass.
The Fifth Dimension is something that could totally be ignored for another 15 years till some young writer wants to honor Morrison. It'd probably be better that way.

I hope Action ends up a place for authors telling their own stand-alone story arcs while 'Superman' is there to tow the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

What the gently caress, Hector Hammond is a fantastic classy villain name while Mindstorm is one of the worst generic shits I've ever had shoved in my brain oh Jesus who came up with this idea

• Locked thread