Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

"Leave overnight"

Uhh

I've had a bad experience leaving a sandwich 6 hours, let alone overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Saint Darwin posted:

"Leave overnight"

Uhh

It's something I would be fine with, but I can see where other people might have trouble with it. I would guess it's ok because there isn't anything in there that's going to go rancid any time soon; the main fats are from the meat and everything is probably relatively salty.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You'll note they're not saying "Dip in mayo and let it sit in the passenger seat of your Trans Am in the sun for 24 hours".

Bread and meat and mustard, wrapped, weighted and kept on a counter top or even in the fridge sure as hell isn't going to kill anyone.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

"Leave overnight"

Uhh

It'd be fine in your fridge or in a cooler if you prefer, it's just that it's hard to have a tall pile of things to smoosh your sandwich with in most fridges.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Call HACCP!
Depends where you are and in what season.
I mean I'm never going to do that because it's not even that cold in winter here, no snow or ice. In fact often spring time nights are colder than winter here, and in summer it doesn't go below 24C at night, with 40C day temps.
In merry old England though, beer comes straight from the cellar and no refrigeration needed.
Use common sense in other words, if it's warm due to ambients or even central heating, don't leave food out.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Fo3 posted:

Call HACCP!
I mean I'm never going to do that because it's not even that cold in winter here, no snow or ice. In fact often spring time nights are colder than winter here, and in summer it doesn't go below 24C at night, with 40C day temps.
In merry old England though, beer comes straight from the cellar and no refrigeration needed.
Use common sense in other words, if it's warm due to ambients or even central heating, don't leave food out.

That's true, it strikes me as the sort of recipe that originated over there where things are pretty cold overall. Kind of like the whole room temperature red wine thing.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fo3 posted:

Call HACCP!

...what?

edit: really, honestly, even upper 60's to mid 70's, a cooked steak in bread with horseradish and mustard isn't going to go full-botulism on you overnight. Honest.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Are you proposing this is breakfast?
The overnight prep is just the first part of leaving it barely chilled furthermore for half the day on top of that if it's for lunch as I understood. Which could be a very warm day where I live was my point.
Use common sense was what I was getting at, much like you saying don't shove it on the seat of a Trans Am, I wouldn't leave it out on a summers night and eat it for a summer lunch was my point.

edit: the call HACCP was a joke, and I was saying in some seasons and/or regions it would be just fine.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 24, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Saint Darwin posted:

"Leave overnight"

Uhh

I would eat the poo poo out of that sandwich even if it sat for two days.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fo3 posted:

Are you proposing this is breakfast?

Why not :unsmigghh:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Top with a fried egg before serving then.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Saint Darwin posted:

"Leave overnight"

Uhh

It is quite delicious actually. Trust your fat gut and not your stupid head!!

quick question: Went food shoppin the other day and the store had those small, potted live spice plants for like $2. I ended up getting basil and thyme.

They're on my sunporch which gets direct sunlight in the morning (it faces directly east) and through most of the day. This should be sufficient with daily water, yes?

Also, I have never cooked with fresh thyme before. Do I have to do anything to it prior to using? Is fresh way stronger than dried??

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fresh herbs are actually less strong by volume than dried, because they are mostly water. That's assuming your dried herbs aren't old and flavorless. But fresh herbs also just taste...fresher. The flavor tends to be more nuanced than dried herbs.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think it depends. Some flavors oxidize faster than others, some can survive drying intact. I think that fresh herbs in general have more depth of flavor, whereas dried are kind of one dimensional but can be more intense. Some translate well to drying, others don't. I don't think basil takes to drying very well, however tarragon and oregano work well. Thyme works dried just fine, but it is more of a one dimensional "thanksgivingy" flavor, whereas fresh it has more subtleties. I think fresh bay leaves are worlds better than dry. Kaffir lime, too. Ginger is strange, I think that dried and fresh are almost completely different things to be used in very different ways. Dried mint is just awful.

So tl;dr it depends on what herb you're talking about.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Also, I have never cooked with fresh thyme before. Do I have to do anything to it prior to using? Is fresh way stronger than dried??

No, but I would recommend bruising it first, if you'd like.
Hammer it with the side of your knife before chopping it (and after if you really want to).

edit: Just to be absolutely clear, when "hammering" it, I mean pluck the parts that you intend to use, bunch them up in your fingers, and place the "plug" of herb conveniently, then lay the flat of your knife blade on top of it and fist-palm the blade to crush the herb packet a few times before chopping. Don't go ape-poo poo on it, just bunch-it, punch-it, and chop-it.

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 24, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Cool thanks for the replies, guys. I know they had a bunch of other herbs, but I figured basil I will definitely use, and thyme could be useful

Any idea about if the sunlight/watering is sufficient? This was a random buy at the grocery store that I saw. I am sure the garden center has them cheap and someone who knows their stuff.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Cool thanks for the replies, guys. I know they had a bunch of other herbs, but I figured basil I will definitely use, and thyme could be useful

Any idea about if the sunlight/watering is sufficient? This was a random buy at the grocery store that I saw. I am sure the garden center has them cheap and someone who knows their stuff.

there should be a care tag on them. Both are mediterranean herbs and like heat and sun, so keep them in the sunniest spot you can. Water them thoroughly once, and allow them to drain completely, then lift the pot with one hand so you know how heavy it is when fully watered. Then every day or so, lift the pot to take note how much water has evaporated. When it starts to feel light, water again, and take a mental note of what the weight of the pot was when it was dry. Daily watering may or may not be too much depending on your ambient humidity and how big the pots are, etc, so it's better to get a feel for the soil. You can also stick a finger into the soil to feel how moist it is deep under the surface. You don't want it sopping wet for too long or the roots can rot.

Herbs in general are awesome to grow because they are generally pretty hardy and are super ridiculously expensive to buy fresh from the grocer. If you really want to get into it, you can build self watering "earthboxes" for pretty cheap. Or plant directly in the ground of course.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Careful not to overwater it.
A fully east facing area with full sun is perfect.
Basil is almost weed-like. Trim it deep when you take leaves or bunches (ie take some stems but don't harm the root-stock or bigger portions of the plant).

I don't know what medium you're growing in, but the general rule is "never over fertilize". I know it's keen to add Miracle Grow or whatever, but just let it live out it's life for a few months, pruning as you need it in the kitchen.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Awesome, thanks a lot guys.

Basically my plan was to get to the garden center sometime this week and check out to see if I can get something I can hang from my windows in the sunporch. I needed to go anyway to get fancy hanging plants to make it appear as if I am domesticated. But my sunporch already smells way nicer due to the basil.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Anyone have a good bun recipe for hamburgers / BBQ? I'd rather not have to buy any, and need to make a sufficiently soft bun to suit the purpose?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Anyone have a good bun recipe for hamburgers / BBQ? I'd rather not have to buy any, and need to make a sufficiently soft bun to suit the purpose?

You know how to knock up a drat fine loaf, Chuck. Just make a basic bread (flour, water, yeast, salt), and make them into roll shapes. It works fine for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Use buttermilk in the dough - this will make them extra soft.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I've found that adding oil to the dough keeps the interior nice and soft. I don't know if you'll be able to get that near non existent pillow soft grocery store texture without some dough conditioners.

edit: +1 what wiggles said, milkfats help too. I'm actually proofing some 65% hydration + oil & milk to serve with some bo kho for dinner.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I make sandwhich bread buns etc all the time, fats butter or shortening help, milk or butter milk, a combination, dry milk powder is nice too. Cooking in a very steamy oven or enclosed baking space, are the things that help me get the puffiness/softness to come out.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Thanks for the suggestions :) I'm pretty good on the generic shaping of 'em, they just normally have come out crusty last I tried. Maybe enriching the dough, plus using AP, and maybe a shorter knead time will get where I need to be.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also potato starch helps make softer bread. Instant mashed potatoes, no fooling. Keep some on-hand.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

pr0k posted:

Also potato starch helps make softer bread. Instant mashed potatoes, no fooling. Keep some on-hand.

Yeah or just some mashed potatoes instead of a portion of the flour. Or potato flour.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

So I did stuffed cabbage last night. Rolled them up, throw in a casserole dish that is lined with chopped cabbage so it doesnt burn, pour on tomato sauce and a little liquid and stick in the oven.

The recipe that I was basing off of said an hour at 350. I yanked it then and the cabbage was still a little tough. I think i went another 20 minutes and pulled again. Still not as soft as I wanted, but the top was coming real close to burning.

Should I just be boiling my cabbage for a few minutes more at the start before peeling?? I was worried that I'd make them too soft and I didn't feel like having to go out again. I went for the oven recipe over boiling just because some of my wraps were pretty lovely and would have fallen apart.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Are you boiling your cabbage whole or peeling the leaves off and then blanching/boiling them? I haven't had a problem with cabbages rolls being too tough as long as I blanch the leaves for a couple of minutes beforehand.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Boil whole cabbage and then peel. I guess I'll give the other method a whirl next time. I just did the other because I looked at 3-4 recipes and they all said boil then peel.

On that note, does anyone know is the name of that Polish sweet cabbage side dish? It's shredded ribbons of cabbage like bigos kind of, but it is sweet and it is a little lighter colored. And would you have a recipe??

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Boil whole cabbage and then peel. I guess I'll give the other method a whirl next time. I just did the other because I looked at 3-4 recipes and they all said boil then peel.

On that note, does anyone know is the name of that Polish sweet cabbage side dish? It's shredded ribbons of cabbage like bigos kind of, but it is sweet and it is a little lighter colored. And would you have a recipe??

You're going to overcook the outer leaves and undercook the inner leaves unless you peel first, so do that!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys I'm going to a party on the weekend and the host loves Breaking Bad, so I was thinking of making him some fake Blue Meth (just blue rock candy basically).

I've found a few easy recipes and some say to add the blue food colouring when it's cooling down, which leads me to wonder if I could also add alcohol to it at the same time? Obviously it would just boil off if I added it at first.

Is it possible basically to make alcoholic fake blue meth?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're going to overcook the outer leaves and undercook the inner leaves unless you peel first, so do that!

Yeah they inner ones were pretty rigid. Thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

concerned mom posted:

Hi guys I'm going to a party on the weekend and the host loves Breaking Bad, so I was thinking of making him some fake Blue Meth (just blue rock candy basically).

I've found a few easy recipes and some say to add the blue food colouring when it's cooling down, which leads me to wonder if I could also add alcohol to it at the same time? Obviously it would just boil off if I added it at first.

Is it possible basically to make alcoholic fake blue meth?

The alcohol would just impede crystallization and then be boiled off once it does crystallize.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a technique for you guys making cabbage rolls - instead of blanching the cabbage, just freeze the entire head until it's solid, then wait for it to defrost. Leaves come out just as nice as blanching, and it does the whole head, rather than that deal where when you blanch it, the outer leaves get over mushed and the inside is still raw and hard.

Only down side is the length of time it takes to freeze and defrost it. Works great though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I see that there. posted:

I have a technique for you guys making cabbage rolls - instead of blanching the cabbage, just freeze the entire head until it's solid, then wait for it to defrost. Leaves come out just as nice as blanching, and it does the whole head, rather than that deal where when you blanch it, the outer leaves get over mushed and the inside is still raw and hard.

Only down side is the length of time it takes to freeze and defrost it. Works great though.

Also do this if you want to kill someone with a rock hard bowling ball-sized cabbage.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah you just drop your frozen three pound head of cabbage into a pillowcase and stroll down your street loving poo poo up. You're a polish gangster who gives no fucks.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
How long and at what temperature should I cook a 7lb chicken aka loving huge (it is labeled as a roaster and is not in fact a hen)? This might be a dumb question but the rest of the internet has a bunch of wildly varying ideas about this. Sort of intimidated because it's so large. I obviously want to cook it SUFFICIENTLY but not EXCESSIVELY, nothing is worse than dry chicken!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Angstronaut posted:

How long and at what temperature should I cook a 7lb chicken aka loving huge (it is labeled as a roaster and is not in fact a hen)? This might be a dumb question but the rest of the internet has a bunch of wildly varying ideas about this. Sort of intimidated because it's so large. I obviously want to cook it SUFFICIENTLY but not EXCESSIVELY, nothing is worse than dry chicken!

Impossible to tell. You need to take it's temperature. I generally pull when the breast is 160 or so. But I also spatchcock it which helps to cook it more evenly and quicker. I also preheat the cast iron pan I cook it in.

Generally I roast my chickens at 400 until done. But no one can tell you how long it's going to take as it depends on the starting temp of the bird, it's shape, the efficiency of your oven, how often you open said often to check on it, and probably solar flares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Angstronaut posted:

hen just denotes that it is female so it is still a hen. unless you meant "rooster". Roaster, as opposed to broiler or fryer, just tells you the size of the bird, fryer is smallest, broiler next, then roaster. Ideally you would cook a chicken until a probe thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast reads an appropriate temperature*. If you are worried about taking forever, then spatchcocking is a great way to ensure even and fast cooking. Of course there is also the infamous Thomas Keller Roast Chicken but that is more for fryer size birds.

As for roasting temperature, again, it can be anything. Keller roasts at 450F. Blumenthal roasts at 200F for like, 4 hours, rests, then finishes in a 550F oven.

*this is up for debate I suppose. I like my chicken cooked to about 150F internally which should stop at about 157F after resting. Heston Blumenthal goes as low as 140F. The USDA says 165F but honestly, that is going to be awful.

Edit: relevant vids:
Heston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgU-WycA54I
Keller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4
Spatchcock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppa1bxB89vg

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 25, 2013