Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

zenintrude posted:

I should have quoted Universal's collection, which is ridiculous... allow me to correct this:

It seems incredibly random to me, but perhaps I just hate Mamma Mia! that much.

Why both versions of Dracula :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Come to think of it, I hope the LOTR films in that WB megaset are the EE versions, because everyone said they were miles better than the theatrical BRs

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Steve Yun posted:

Come to think of it, I hope the LOTR films in that WB megaset are the EE versions, because everyone said they were miles better than the theatrical BRs

They aren't:

quote:

50 Movies Including 16 of Warner Bros. Library’s Best Picture™ Winners on 52 Discs

LotR EEs take up 2 discs each, which would mean (at minimum) 53 discs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Steve Yun posted:

Eh, it's a matter of personal preference, really. I'm perfectly happy owning the theatrical cuts on Steelbook.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't understand who that appeals to other than sperglord collectors. I mean, surely there are probably a few normal people who would be interested, but the majority of your hardcore audience who would appreciate a diverse slate of films like that probably already owns half or more of them.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 24, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't understand who that appeals to other than sperglord collectors. I mean, surely there are probably a few normal people who would be interested, but the majority of your hardcore audience who would appreciate a diverse slate of films like that probably already owns half or more of them.

It seems like it'd be pretty great for the casual fan who just got a blu-ray player and wants a diverse set of movies; it'd also be a pretty nice gift to give to somebody.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, now I'm scratching my head come to think of it. I mean, the kind of person who has the money to buy $250 or $400 of movies probably already bought a bluray player a long time ago to go with their 70 inch tv. As a "hey you're late to blurays here are a bunch of movies" item I'm not sure who it's aimed at.

Maybe monied people who want to gift a poor friend who just got their first player?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why both versions of Dracula :psyduck:

Because the American version is historically significant but the Spanish version is generally acknowledged as just as good if not better?

I got that Universal set last Christmas and it's loving awesome. There's like twenty shorts, too, and all the movies have pretty comprehensive supplements. It's a good mix of essential buys and ones I love but would never buy, with just a handful of irredeemable poo poo like loving Breakfast Club.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 24, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

Because the American version is historically significant but the Spanish version is generally acknowledged as just as good if not better?

Well, yeah, but if you're going for a large spread of films ranging from The Fast And The Furious to Do The Right Thing and from To Kill A Mockingbird to Despicable Me, putting both versions of Dracula on there seems to be both missing the point as well as misunderstanding the box's target consumer.

I mean, how many 'regular folk' even loving know there's a Spanish version of Dracula?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 24, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, yeah, but if you're going for a large spread of films ranging from The Fast And The Furious to Do The Right Thing and from To Kill A Mockingbird to Despicable Me, putting both versions of Dracula on there seems to be both missing the point as well as misunderstanding the box's target consumer.

I mean, how many 'regular folk' even loving know there's a Spanish version of Dracula?

They're on the same disc. They also have the silent version of All Quiet on the Western Front bundled with that film. What exactly is your complaint?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

They're on the same disc. They also have the silent version of All Quiet on the Western Front bundled with that film. What exactly is your complaint?

It's not a complaint at all. I didn't know it was on the same disc.

It just seemed weird to have a box that's supposed to be a celebration of 25 Universal Studio Films and and one of those 25 slots is taken by a variant of another movie in the same box set.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's not a complaint at all. I didn't know it was on the same disc.

It just seemed weird to have a box that's supposed to be a celebration of 25 Universal Studio Films and and one of those 25 slots is taken by a variant of another movie in the same box set.

It's not a "variant," it's not like a comic book with a different cover, it's a different film, a great one, that's well worth preserving and that the studio is apparently proud of and considers important because they've been bundling them together consistently since that first Universal Monsters box set in like 2004.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm just saying, if you've only got room for 25 movies and you're trying to get a wide spread of genres and appeal to as many different demographics as possible, which they are obviously trying to do, than putting two different versions of Dracula on there would be a strange thing to do.

The point is moot though seeing as they are bundled on the same disc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow if that Warner set ever hit the clearance bin for $100 I'd be interested, but otherwise yeah I own too many of those films to make it worthwhile. Nice selection IMHO though.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Hey folks, the first big reviews for Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 3 and the standalone The Best of Both Worlds set are up at TrekCore, with some screencaps and video clips for illustration.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

mod sassinator posted:

Wow if that Warner set ever hit the clearance bin for $100 I'd be interested, but otherwise yeah I own too many of those films to make it worthwhile. Nice selection IMHO though.

The packaging would be a dealbreaker for me at (almost) any price. I want anyone to be able to go up to my collection, scan the alphebetized spines, and be able to find whatever they're looking for in the collection. I don't want to have to remember that my copy of Cool Hand Luke is buried in a box with 50 other movies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IIRC, the Universal set had a lot more movies that were really recent first-time blu-ray releases, so I can understand how there might be a fair number of people interested in picking it up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zenintrude posted:

They aren't:

LotR EEs take up 2 discs each, which would mean (at minimum) 53 discs.

I think they are better than the theatrical versions. I think the editing is smoother, and gives the films more room to breathe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Have there ever been bluray releases that were just upconverts of SD materials?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Steve Yun posted:

Yes, but not often.

Some, like 28 Days Later and season 5 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, are inherently standard def (the camera shooting them was only standard def) so nothing can be done. The compression is better than DVD, the upscaling is arguably better since it's offline instead of on-the-fly like a DVD player would be doing, and you get lossless audio - but still not particularly worthwhile if you already have the DVD (or the DVD is significantly cheaper).

Then there's some total crap out there like Gulliver's Travels where a small studio is staffed by idiots who upconvert, stretch, and DNR an already crappy standard def transfer instead of commissioning an HD scan of the original film elements. That's the only US release I can think of off the top of my head where a true HD release is possible but they instead released an upconverted SD one (there may be others), but this seems much more common with foreign releases (comes up a lot in Germany for some reason...).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Steve Yun posted:

This happens with anime releases all the time.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Yes, but not often.

Some, like 28 Days Later and season 5 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, are inherently standard def (the camera shooting them was only standard def) so nothing can be done. The compression is better than DVD, the upscaling is arguably better since it's offline instead of on-the-fly like a DVD player would be doing, and you get lossless audio - but still not particularly worthwhile if you already have the DVD (or the DVD is significantly cheaper).

Then there's some total crap out there like Gulliver's Travels where a small studio is staffed by idiots who upconvert, stretch, and DNR an already crappy standard def transfer instead of commissioning an HD scan of the original film elements. That's the only US release I can think of off the top of my head where a true HD release is possible but they instead released an upconverted SD one (there may be others), but this seems much more common with foreign releases (comes up a lot in Germany for some reason...).

There's also some public domain releases that are just lots of SD content crammed on a single Blu-Ray disc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098TNDO...H6PYGC0BWRF4CP&

That one is only $12.99 and has 25 movies on it. Lola Colt / Long Days of Revenge / California / Execution / Kill Django / One After Another / Adios Gringo / My Name Is Pecos / May God Forgive You On / Django: Last Killer / Twice a Judas / Train For Django / Go With God Gringo / Ringo's Big Night / Gun For 100 Graves / Prey For Vultures / Finger on the Trigger / His Name Was King / One Fine Day, When Django Met Sartana / Django Defiles Sartana / Django and Sartana; It's the End / Django Shoots First / Hallelujah For Django / Revenge of Sartana / Ringo's Mark of Vengeance

There's also a John Wayne collection with only 7 movies on it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Steve Yun posted:

Inland Empire is another one. It was shot in SD on purpose, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
28 Days Later was shot in DV, right? Because even at standard definition the picture looked kind of sub-par.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Inland Empire is another one. It was shot in SD on purpose, though.

Not having seen the film, I'm really surprised by this. If you want gritty, why shoot in video instead of 16mm?

What's even more surprising is that it got a 4.5 out of 5 from Blu-Ray.com :psyduck:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Video is easier to work with and gives instant results, which was probably appealing to Lynch given how on-the-fly he made it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Which of the various versions of the Back to the Future trilogy is the one to get? Is there any difference between them?

(I ask because Amazon has the UK import for $23.)

Red fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 25, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's also some public domain releases that are just lots of SD content crammed on a single Blu-Ray disc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098TNDO...H6PYGC0BWRF4CP&

That one is only $12.99 and has 25 movies on it. Lola Colt / Long Days of Revenge / California / Execution / Kill Django / One After Another / Adios Gringo / My Name Is Pecos / May God Forgive You On / Django: Last Killer / Twice a Judas / Train For Django / Go With God Gringo / Ringo's Big Night / Gun For 100 Graves / Prey For Vultures / Finger on the Trigger / His Name Was King / One Fine Day, When Django Met Sartana / Django Defiles Sartana / Django and Sartana; It's the End / Django Shoots First / Hallelujah For Django / Revenge of Sartana / Ringo's Mark of Vengeance

Surprised this collection wasn't called Django Contained.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zenintrude posted:

The packaging would be a dealbreaker for me at (almost) any price. I want anyone to be able to go up to my collection, scan the alphebetized spines, and be able to find whatever they're looking for in the collection. I don't want to have to remember that my copy of Cool Hand Luke is buried in a box with 50 other movies.

That would be inconvenient if you happened to want all the James Bond movies, you would have to buy them all individually at greater expense and not the comprehensive Bond 50 box set.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Hey folks, the first big reviews for Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 3 and the standalone The Best of Both Worlds set are up at TrekCore, with some screencaps and video clips for illustration.

:swoon:

You can really tell the difference with CBS working on this season.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Going forward, the same digital artist who does the CBS Digital planets (Max Gabl) will be handling all of the planet renders for all seasons.

The house running Season 4's post-production is Modern Video, who apparently has worked on all sorts of stuff in the past, including :bsg: and Avatar.

That being said...

First details on TNG Season 4 Blu-ray, along with standalone "Redemption" theatrical-cut disc

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Aatrek posted:

Going forward, the same digital artist who does the CBS Digital planets (Max Gabl) will be handling all of the planet renders for all seasons.

The house running Season 4's post-production is Modern Video, who apparently has worked on all sorts of stuff in the past, including :bsg: and Avatar.

That being said...

First details on TNG Season 4 Blu-ray, along with standalone "Redemption" theatrical-cut disc

Cool, they're really picking up the pace on these.

e: \/\/\/ ah, right

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 25, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Lizard Combatant posted:

Cool, they're really picking up the pace on these.

Well, last year's releases were in July and November, so I imagine that this year will be quite similar. The Season 3 set was only set for April (and not February or March) because of Enterprise coming out last month.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Steve Yun posted:

What's even more surprising is that it got a 4.5 out of 5 from Blu-Ray.com :psyduck:
That's actually why I like their reviews of picture quality, though. They rate it based on the quality of the transfer, the amount of noticeable post-processing, blemishes or damage, etc. They value if it matches the filmmaker's original intention, so if that intention was a lofi or soft image they don't knock it for that. It would be kind of unfair to give the Blu-ray of Inland Empire a poor score under picture quality when based on the source material they are working with it's not really possible for it to look any better.

Red posted:

Which of the various versions of the Back to the Future trilogy is the one to get? Is there any difference between them?

(I ask because Amazon has the UK import for $23.)
Aside from the box art, I'm almost positive the US and UK versions are identical. Same with most Universal box sets from what I understand. (I got the UK versions of the Bourne and Jurassic Park trilogies because they were cheaper at the time.)

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 25, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, that was fast.

Oblivion Blu-ray up for preorder.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

kuddles posted:

Aside from the box art, I'm almost positive the US and UK versions are identical. Same with most Universal box sets from what I understand. (I got the UK versions of the Bourne and Jurassic Park trilogies because they were cheaper at the time.)

I had some Amazon points sitting around, so I managed to grab this for under $20, AND get it delivered in two-days via an Amazon Prime trial that ended about 10 minutes after I placed the order. :hehe:

I much prefer the standard plastic case - much easier for storage, and getting the goddamn discs out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The best news...

quote:

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has confirmed that director Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy (1982) will arrive on Blu-ray on October 29th.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

priznat posted:

Hey there, does anyone have any good sources to find out what quality (SD or HD) a digital copy included with a Blu-Ray is these days? It seems somewhat random whether it is HD or not. Some discs even have SD iTunes and HD Ultraviolet/CinemaNow versions. Sometimes I like the convenience of just playing movies on my appleTV or whatever.

I found a spreadsheet with some listed but it's not too up to date:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhvHZp29ZPvidEdqUlJLc3FXa3U3dFlEV3dBZFhTSmc

Also, what's the BD player to get these days? Something that has Netflix and can play HD mkvs from a NAS would be ideal. I have a PS3 but it's getting a bit older (original fat one), is noisy, gets hot and doesn't have an IR port for a universal remote. One of the ~$100 blu ray players would be great.

The Wirecutter recommends a Panasonic: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-blu-ray-player-panasonic-dmp-bdt22/

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Call Me Charlie posted:

The best news...

Uh, whatever dude. SQUIRM on Blu-ray!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is that a reversible cover, or two separate sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Reversible.

• Locked thread