Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm currently playing through Medieval 2 with darthmod. I don't know if it's the best mod, but it seems good enough because the game is actually fun now instead of being a boring steamroll. Vanilla Total War is just too easy (I play on VH/N). Only real exception might be Shogun 2, but I haven't played it enough. Anyway, I'm probably moving on to Napoleon after my campaign in MTW2 is finished. Is darthmod the best / good enough mod or are there better? What I'm looking for is mainly improved battle AI and battles that you can't just cheese through, but also any nice improvements that there might be for the campaign.

Try Stainless Steel, maybe. I've really got no idea as to whether it's got improvements with the battle AI or not, but it certainly changes some dynamics of the game. One cool thing it has is that you can choose from three different campaign AI options. One of them is more peaceful, one of them is relatively more bloodthirsty, and one of them is more in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Seconding Stainless Steel. There's a "Real Recruitment" option that limits the number of superior units you can recruit at a time which is fun and adds a bit of a challenge, too.

There's also the Byg Grim Reality mod which can be enabled through Stainless Steel and it's.. a micro-management nightmare, I think. I tried it out a few times but couldn't quite grasp everything. Your Lords have their own income, armies are greatly affected by supply logistics which can effectively bring a campaign to a screeching halt if they're caught in foreign territory, in winter, and fail to take a city or castle.
There are a lot of titles which can be awarded like in the original Medieval:TW and some of these are vital as they determine who has the authorization to recruit professional units. It would probably be a really enjoyable mod if the UI were capable of efficiently presenting all the information you need to understand how these things are working. I found myself going deep into debt constantly.

But Stainless Steel is awesome regardless as all that stuff is entirely optional at Campaign start.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ah ok, I'll try Stainless Steel. Thanks!

Right now I need to finish my M2TW game, but my god does it piss me off. The further I get in Total War games the less I tend to actually play battles because it's kinda (very) repetitive. However, auto-resolve is such loving bullshit it's not even funny. Lost a siege (attacking) versus a small garrison. Had about 90% advantage on the bar thing and still lost. 155 of their dudes managed to kill 1287 of mine. What the gently caress. This game is never going to end.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah ok, I'll try Stainless Steel. Thanks!

Right now I need to finish my M2TW game, but my god does it piss me off. The further I get in Total War games the less I tend to actually play battles because it's kinda (very) repetitive. However, auto-resolve is such loving bullshit it's not even funny. Lost a siege (attacking) versus a small garrison. Had about 90% advantage on the bar thing and still lost. 155 of their dudes managed to kill 1287 of mine. What the gently caress. This game is never going to end.

Wow... really? That sounds pretty out there for autoresolving. I've heard in this thread that auto-resolve doesn't take into account the actual fortifications in battles, so usually it's a good idea to autoresolve assaults, but run defenses yourself.

But... is that with the Darthmod? Maybe that mod messes with autoresolve... I have no idea. Unless you were doing an army of peasants vs. a unit of Zweihanders or something, but I feel like that's unlikely.

Usually what I do in late-games is just build 5 or more huge stacks and have most of them sieging enemy towns while I deal with field armies with my remaining dudes. It takes a while and can be a little boring, but it definitely leads to plenty of easy rally-stompings or just convenient surrenders.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's specifically with vanilla Shogun 2 that auto-resolve doesn't do fortifications.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow... really? That sounds pretty out there for autoresolving. I've heard in this thread that auto-resolve doesn't take into account the actual fortifications in battles, so usually it's a good idea to autoresolve assaults, but run defenses yourself.

But... is that with the Darthmod? Maybe that mod messes with autoresolve... I have no idea. Unless you were doing an army of peasants vs. a unit of Zweihanders or something, but I feel like that's unlikely.

Usually what I do in late-games is just build 5 or more huge stacks and have most of them sieging enemy towns while I deal with field armies with my remaining dudes. It takes a while and can be a little boring, but it definitely leads to plenty of easy rally-stompings or just convenient surrenders.

Yeah it must be Darthmod messing with auto-resolve. I usually attack with full stacks of the best troops I have and lose with auto-resolve against anything < 70% advantage. Throw in a star or two on the enemy general and it's doomed. I'll have to do more battles myself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've found autoresolving in general to be suicidal in M2TW and brutally effective in Shogun 2.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kanos posted:

I've found autoresolving in general to be suicidal in M2TW and brutally effective in Shogun 2.

I ran into a situation in FOTS where 3 full stacks attacked my single stack, something like 900-1000 vs 4300.

I figured I had to play it out manually but lost horribly the first time (the 3 armies spawned in 2 different directions and the 16 or so units of cav effectively overwhelmed me enough to let a lot of Shogunate reach melee). Wanted to try again, loaded a save, failed again.

Loaded one more time, realized I had a 80%+ auto-resolve chance, ran it, came out with 110 casualties.

:wtc:

Vengarr posted:

Have a large force of artillery trail behind your main conquering force. Any time you find a nut too tough to crack, wait for the artillery to show up, then bomb them to hell. Even wooden cannons are better than nothing against a fort. Alternatively, siege them out. No way can you call that gimmicky, it's precisely what sieges were intended for.

This is very true, I should clarify that the only reason it feels "gimmicky" is because of how ridiculously fast artillery and high level rifle infantry wreck Shogunate units on open ground, and that the AI runs it as an attack battle so they literally just walk into their deaths. The Sieges at least take thought, waiting them out is just putting off a massacre for 6 turns.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 22, 2013

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Are there any good balancing mods for Shogun 2 available that won't destroy me completely? I just powered through Shalcar's ROTS LP in a day and it seemed like the AI and game itself has some hiccups where it's just obviously better to do one thing a certain way over others. But I also still really suck at the game (I've yet to win a single battle) so if overhaul mods are generally for experienced players who already know everything about the base game, I'd probably get wrecked. I also didn't like the way Realm Divide looked to be implemented. While I get the idea behind it, everyone just suddenly hating you sounds too gamey to me.

I saw that Radious RD mod posted a little back and was looking at his overhaul and unit packs. Would it be better to just get used to the unmodded game first before I start mucking around with mods? I'm starting out playing ROTS if that makes a difference.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

Are there any good balancing mods for Shogun 2 available that won't destroy me completely? I just powered through Shalcar's ROTS LP in a day and it seemed like the AI and game itself has some hiccups where it's just obviously better to do one thing a certain way over others. But I also still really suck at the game (I've yet to win a single battle) so if overhaul mods are generally for experienced players who already know everything about the base game, I'd probably get wrecked. I also didn't like the way Realm Divide looked to be implemented. While I get the idea behind it, everyone just suddenly hating you sounds too gamey to me.

I saw that Radious RD mod posted a little back and was looking at his overhaul and unit packs. Would it be better to just get used to the unmodded game first before I start mucking around with mods? I'm starting out playing ROTS if that makes a difference.

I'd go with vanilla if you're really that inexperienced. Radious has really low unit upkeep costs, which means that you can have a lot more armies running around, but it also means that your enemies can do the same. It can get a little overwhelming watching 7 or 8 full armies march up on one of your cities. Smaller battles are much easier to manage. And if you're playing ROTS, that version of realm divide is about a thousand times easier than the base game.

Don't forget about your agents, either. High level agents can do some serious damage. Train as many as you can at the start and just sit them in cities, where they'll slowly gain experience. Three six star foreign veterans in an army will make enemies piss their pants retreating from you. If you train the right troops in the right regions with the right upgrades and add foreign vets to the army, you can get your infantry's firing accuracy up to ridiculous levels, like 150-160.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Radious' diplomacy is nice for lowering the nastiness of Realm Divide if that bugs you, I also really like his AI mod. I'd stay away from his unit and tweak mods though, they feel iffy to me.

Also yeah, play the vanilla campaign before the RotS campaign, the RotS campaign is a lot more unforgiving.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Don't forget about your agents, either. High level agents can do some serious damage. Train as many as you can at the start and just sit them in cities, where they'll slowly gain experience. Three six star foreign veterans in an army will make enemies piss their pants retreating from you. If you train the right troops in the right regions with the right upgrades and add foreign vets to the army, you can get your infantry's firing accuracy up to ridiculous levels, like 150-160.

This can't be emphasized enough. Agents are insanely powerful in Shogun 2 in every campaign. High leveled Ninja/Shinobi/Foreign Agents can render every single enemy general dead before they're a threat. Foreign Agents in FotS let you churn out tons more troops and make those troops godly. High-level monks in vanilla can obliterate even the mightiest clans almost singlehandedly by turning their heartland into a nightmarish morass of rebellions. FotS Geisha can charm entire armies to your side. They're huge game changers.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
If you really take advantage of them, they make the game almost too easy. Send a couple high level monks and metsuke halfway across the map and use the monks to overthrow provinces and then use the metsuke to bribe their armies over to your side. And thanks to all of the ability overlap among the agents, they can effectively act as assassins against the enemy's agents, too.

Agents are seriously overpowered in Shogun 2 compared to every other TW game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Agents are seriously overpowered in Shogun 2 compared to every other TW game.

True that. Fortunately, their OPness is pretty good at cutting through the dogpile/tedium of endgame Total War. Foreign Veterans were straight up busted when at max level in FotS, but the accuracy/reload bonuses were just too fun to miss out on.

I hope RTW2 makes agent management a lot better than RTW onwards did. It really bogged down the game when you had multiple agents moving in conjunction with your armies, and I think a system like CK2 Councillors/old-school Total War would be much better when it comes to organizing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

quote:

Agent talk

:stare: Now I understand why I lost my Hard Campaign.

While we are talking Radious - has anyone tried the Diplomacy mod? I'd like to make the vanill Realm Divide less "gamey" and alliances/hostages/marriages more meaningful.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

New UI, I would like some more differentiation with the unit cards since if they really have 40 units it will probably be a pain to tell those regular legionaries from those other legionaries.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lord Tywin posted:

New UI, I would like some more differentiation with the unit cards since if they really have 40 units it will probably be a pain to tell those regular legionaries from those other legionaries.

Are those... giant flaming boulders?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

The period-appropriate art style on unit cards are a really cool thing they're bringing along from Shogun 2, but yeah, I imagine it'll get a bit cluttered especially since we're supposed to be able to customize them somewhat.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

So far, agents are my favorite part of the game. I'm pretty sure I wasted enough koku to march armies across the entirety of Japan and a few dozen turns, but I just destroyed one of the Minamoto clans using nothing but agents. They declared war on me, so I bribed their sister clan into breaking their alliance and trade agreements, then I seduced or bought out three stacks of units, half a dozen generals, and most of their provinces. My two star monomi assassinated their daimyo, then whittled down the stack with sabotage and a shirabyoshi locking them in place while a junsatsushi and sou wrecked their last province and got taken over by an ally. It felt more like playing Monopoly than a war game. :v:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are those... giant flaming boulders?

they were in the new trailer.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Azran posted:

:stare: Now I understand why I lost my Hard Campaign.

While we are talking Radious - has anyone tried the Diplomacy mod? I'd like to make the vanill Realm Divide less "gamey" and alliances/hostages/marriages more meaningful.

I really like it, all of it's versions allow you to carry allies and vassals with whom you have solid relations through the Real Divide. It's a lot of fun to sit down pre RD and plan out a web of alliances to essentially divide up Japan, making it more of a big civil war between 2 power blocks instead of you vs the world. Of course this does make the game a lot easier but I kinda like clever diplomacy being a big decider in the later stages.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Man Whore posted:

they were in the new trailer.
I want to see the TWC thread where they get all angry because it looks like you can do (simple) move commands in the strategy overview (top-down map view).

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
battle of teutoburg forest walkthrough http://uk.gamespot.com/total-war-ro...alWarRomeIiBatt .

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
Has anybody else been having issues with Shogun 2 since that Teutoburg Forest video released? My soundtrack in-game has been replaced by the audio of the Teutoburg video and it's kind of annoying.

tables
Jul 7, 2011

tables

All my hnnnnnnnnnnnng.
The game is coming along so nicely. It looks like a culmination of all they've learned from the previous TW games. There's the quick unit responsiveness, stylized unit cards, awesome voices. The only part of the video that bothered me was the unresponsiveness of the commentator, but I understand he did that to showcase more of the game.
Also, is it just me or am I hearing the same horn blasts from Shogun 2?

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

tables posted:

All my hnnnnnnnnnnnng.
The game is coming along so nicely. It looks like a culmination of all they've learned from the previous TW games. There's the quick unit responsiveness, stylized unit cards, awesome voices. The only part of the video that bothered me was the unresponsiveness of the commentator, but I understand he did that to showcase more of the game.
Also, is it just me or am I hearing the same horn blasts from Shogun 2?

I'm sure a bunch of stuff in that video is placeholder. At the very least I hope that UI is placeholder.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Not liking the strategic view. Hopefully theres a hardcore mode for pricks like me that has no radar or anything, so we can scoff at all the people who still use them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rabhadh posted:

Not liking the strategic view. Hopefully theres a hardcore mode for pricks like me that has no radar or anything, so we can scoff at all the people who still use them.

You know if not, the modding community will find a way.

And then make it as insane as possible.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

SeanBeansShako posted:

You know if not, the modding community will find a way.

And then make it as insane as possible.

I can't imagine CA would ditch Battle Realism mode or Legendary for Rome 2. Of course, the modders would have to make it so your orders travel via carrier pigeon or something and your orders are randomly ignored or misunderstood because realism.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
For supposed pre-alpha footage I have to say I'm impressed. What I really want to see now though is the campaign map during play, with maybe some building options being shown off too. My only problem now is my morbid curiosity getting the better of me, and my compulsion to check the TW boards every time an announcement is made. Who wants to bet if Jack Lusted had developed a drinking problem yet?

"The animations are not absolutely perfect and I have no concept of what alpha or beta stages in development are! I will not buy this game bleurleurleurleurgh!"

"Why was x obscure historical abnormality not included in this battle? You're murdering history!"

"The faction I had hoped for initially isn't in so I won't contribute to the topic and whine instead. Please reconsider playable Iberians/Scythia/Dacia/Seleucids! I will continue posting like this in every single thread."

:suicide:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I bet the CA offices are just filled with in jokes taking the utter piss out of those people on TWC.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Throckwoddle posted:

Has anybody else been having issues with Shogun 2 since that Teutoburg Forest video released? My soundtrack in-game has been replaced by the audio of the Teutoburg video and it's kind of annoying.

Yeah I had that problem. loving stupid mistake to make by them IMO but the fix is easy: open task manager and find the process called awesomeblabla (sorry cant remember the exact name but it starts with awesome) and kill it. Voila problem solved.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I wonder how long those people would actually play the game for if the developers gave them what they wanted. Oh wait, they wouldn't because it would be awful.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Games like those these type of people want sort of exist, but for some reason they are insanely expensive with the developers just as out of touch as the TWC people.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

shalcar posted:

Of course, the modders would have to make it so your orders travel via carrier pigeon or something and your orders are randomly ignored or misunderstood because realism.

To be honest, that sounds like a pretty cool feature to implement. It would certainly add a level of unpredictability to battles. Perhaps tie it to the general's command attribute and his zone of influence. The unit's distance from the general could affect how zealously the order is carried out and how closely it is followed. However, I could see it becoming a very frustrating feature if it was implemented very aggressively.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

brozozo posted:

To be honest, that sounds like a pretty cool feature to implement. It would certainly add a level of unpredictability to battles. Perhaps tie it to the general's command attribute and his zone of influence. The unit's distance from the general could affect how zealously the order is carried out and how closely it is followed. However, I could see it becoming a very frustrating feature if it was implemented very aggressively.

The original Rome allowed you to place groups of your units under AI control, which would be neat to see return. I think something like that would be cool to have with the new 40 units per army system.

The 'Take Command' series is an American civil war game where the battles work like TW, only x50 in scale and scope, which has order issuing similar to what you describe. It's fun to be some lowly brigade commander and try to balance your orders with your own initiative. As division general the orders you issue down are followed/ignored by the personalities/abilities of the sub commanders and its a cool different type of rts game. Plays refreshingly different than trying to micro all your dudes into the right position at the right time, but you have to accept that some idiot commanders will screw your orders up.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 24, 2013

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

General Probe posted:

Yeah I had that problem. loving stupid mistake to make by them IMO but the fix is easy: open task manager and find the process called awesomeblabla (sorry cant remember the exact name but it starts with awesome) and kill it. Voila problem solved.

Awesome, thanks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

The original Rome allowed you to place groups of your units under AI control, which would be neat to see return. I think something like that would be cool to have with the new 40 units per army system.

Why would you ever do that.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Didn't they say they'd like to emphasise persistent units even more as well? I can't see anybody entrusting their beloved 3rd Legion 'G4vlSLAYAZ' to the hands of some retarded AI.

It's early days yet but when this does come out, is everybody going to go straight to Rome for their first playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SHISHKABOB posted:

Because the AI is terrible and it's pretty trivial to beat it unless you put some kind of restraints on yourself.

In my Roma Surrectum 2 play-through I turned on the camera mode that locks it to your generals head(or a little above it, but still more restrictive than any of the later games), and turned off all unit flags/radar. Once the battle starts getting into full swing it was impossible for me to control units on the other side of the battle unless I ran my general over there. Sometimes the AI did ok, sometimes not. You could constantly switch units to/from AI control, and even if placed under AI control if you gave it a direct order it would respond to your command before doing anything the AI decided to do.