Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Opopanax posted:

And I still hold out hope for a UFF v2 with SpiderWoman filling in the last spot

I'm hoping with get a new UF4 too, Ben's new powers haven't really been explored yet and it'd be interesting to see the new team dynamic with all the stuff that's happened to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe Miles can be the fourth member :allears:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Ultimate Spider-Man remains the best. And now we know what next months cover is all about. And I am sad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

krakagar posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man remains the best. And now we know what next months cover is all about. And I am sad.

Could I have spoilers?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo, Miles :smith:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Could I have spoilers?

Miles mom bites it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo, Miles :smith:

God dammit, Bendis. Stop making me cry in public.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've been picking through these comics as I find them on Marvel Unlimited.

I like the vastly simplified universe. unfortunately, Unlimited doesn't have complete series so there's holes in continuity.

Was there a reboot at one point?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

I've been picking through these comics as I find them on Marvel Unlimited.

I like the vastly simplified universe. unfortunately, Unlimited doesn't have complete series so there's holes in continuity.

Was there a reboot at one point?

No reboot just name changes. There was also a event that caused mass death but we do not have the details. There was just a time jump and a lot of things were diffrent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh. sweet. I was trying to figure out how things went from Ultimate Doomsday to Nimrod Sentinels running the southwest. Makes more sense now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

oh. sweet. I was trying to figure out how things went from Ultimate Doomsday to Nimrod Sentinels running the southwest. Makes more sense now.

The sentinels thing happened in Ultimate comics X-men.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bobkatt013 posted:

The sentinels thing happened in Ultimate comics X-men.

I meant in the general flow of the Ultimate Universe. They kinda blowed up the White House in Ultimate Doomsday, I didn't know if that had a knock on effect for the Sentinals gone wild.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Christ, that issue was a punch in the gut. Especially since Bendis spent so long building up to Miles' dad dying only to completely twist it around. Poor Miles. :smith:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

No reboot just name changes. There was also a event that caused mass death but we do not have the details. There was just a time jump and a lot of things were diffrent.

Do you mean Ultimatum? Because that was fairly well explained.

I recently subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and have been working my way through Ultimate Spiderman. It is the best! It is really, really good! I've just started volume 2 though (After Ultimatum, before Miles) and the art is really putting me off.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

in Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, they get a new artist in the second or third story, and then Bagley comes back for the final one.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
Re: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 22 It really hit me at the end where Miles wakes up normal the very next morning, as if nothing that went down the previous night happened, but then remembers everything a moment later and breaks down. It's a very relatable moment and was just heartbreaking to see on page. I was really hoping that Miles would have had both of his parents around for a while, but Bendis is so good with this title that I think I can deal with this plot twist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

krakagar posted:

Do you mean Ultimatum? Because that was fairly well explained.

What's Ultimatum? Nothing called that was published.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

What's Ultimatum? Nothing called that was published.

Everyone died. Don't worry about it, you're better off not knowing.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Ve know nothink about any Ultimatum. Ve vere on vacation!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought Ultimatum was an original Marvel thing not an Ultimate Universe thing?

A lord, what have you done, Leob.....

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

coconono posted:

I thought Ultimatum was an original Marvel thing not an Ultimate Universe thing?

A lord, what have you done, Leob.....

No, it's an ultimate universe thing. Its why Miles was so freaked out about possibly being a mutant in new york city. I think Miles' first issue is set only a few months after Ultimatum.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Humphries' lovely run on Ultimates ended in the most anti-climactic fight I have ever seen in a comic book and Cap resigning from the presidency out of literally nowhere because he had to put his toys back into the box. I actually thought the last couple of issues were alright but the resolution was terrible.

If it weren't for Fialkov next issue and the continued quality of Spider-Man, I'd have dropped the Ultimate Universe after this.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
What's Ultimate X-Men like these days?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Genetic Toaster posted:

Humphries' lovely run on Ultimates ended in the most anti-climactic fight I have ever seen in a comic book and Cap resigning from the presidency out of literally nowhere because he had to put his toys back into the box. I actually thought the last couple of issues were alright but the resolution was terrible.

If it weren't for Fialkov next issue and the continued quality of Spider-Man, I'd have dropped the Ultimate Universe after this.

That is a shame. The last issue of Ultimates was blisteringly good. It is fitting that Humphries' best issue was followed by his worst. The stop and start cavalcade of writers on Ultimate is a real letdown. Hopefully Fialkov stays on for more than 10 issues.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Wood finally turned the corner from the slosh of plot devices and plot points that Nick Spencer laid down but never paid off.

Pick it up from issue 24 and forget about the rest.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's consistently good but kinda meandering. Wood's had to spend the majority of his time on the book so far picking up Spencer's poo poo and he's only just starting to build to an actual event. A basic summary is that Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Jr. started a mutant reserve with the help of Tony Stark and a seed they developed that would eliminate world hunger has caused Governments to get up in arms and refuse to recognize their sovereignty. This has led to mutants vs. the army and Jean Grey (who is the leader of a mutant nation in China because of a mini-series I didn't read) is infiltrating their base to gain information on them. And there was a split because a bunch of guys left the group but not really.

The majority of the book is teenagers bickering so if that's your thing, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Genetic Toaster posted:

It's consistently good but kinda meandering. Wood's had to spend the majority of his time on the book so far picking up Spencer's poo poo and he's only just starting to build to an actual event. A basic summary is that Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Jr. started a mutant reserve with the help of Tony Stark and a seed they developed that would eliminate world hunger has caused Governments to get up in arms and refuse to recognize their sovereignty. This has led to mutants vs. the army and Jean Grey (who is the leader of a mutant nation in China because of a mini-series I didn't read) is infiltrating their base to gain information on them. And there was a split because a bunch of guys left the group but not really.

The majority of the book is teenagers bickering so if that's your thing, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

I'd check out that Ultimate Hawkeye mini where the Jean stuff happened, it was actually really good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dacap posted:

I'd check out that Ultimate Hawkeye mini where the Jean stuff happened, it was actually really good.

Hawkeye's good for the China stuff, but you need to read Ultimate X for the backstory on Jean and everyone else there, and that's a Loeb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Hawkeye's good for the China stuff, but you need to read Ultimate X for the backstory on Jean and everyone else there, and that's a Loeb.

Besides Nova it is the best thing Loeb has written in a decade.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Sigma posted:

It is fitting that Humphries' best issue was followed by his worst.

I still hold ruining all the potential Hickman set up with the Evil Reed story was his worst.

bobkatt013 posted:

Besides Nova it is the best thing Loeb has written in a decade.

I haven't been reading Nova but seconding that it was actually a decent Loeb story.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Genetic Toaster posted:

Humphries' lovely run on Ultimates ended in the most anti-climactic fight I have ever seen in a comic book

Yeah, it just screamed "rush."

Like there were at least 3 issues of story in there, with the West Coast Ultimates dividing and conquering, and then they just all up and walk away for an anime Power Of Teamwork scene?

No way that was the original intention.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it just screamed "rush."

Like there were at least 3 issues of story in there, with the West Coast Ultimates dividing and conquering, and then they just all up and walk away for an anime Power Of Teamwork scene?

No way that was the original intention.

Humphries left The Ultimates in the same fashion in which he entered: with an anti-climactic wet fart. Hopefully Fialkov can redeem this series. His Alpha gives me hope that man can spin any lovely old thing into gold, or at least bronze.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I just read some of the Ultimate comics with Reed Richards building his city and being a villain and I thought it was really really good right up until it ended so abruptly and stupidly that it just ruined the whole thing for me. What a waste

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Zzulu posted:

Well I just read some of the Ultimate comics with Reed Richards building his city and being a villain and I thought it was really really good right up until it ended so abruptly and stupidly that it just ruined the whole thing for me. What a waste

Yeah. Marvel were expecting to get the sorts of numbers that would let them compete with Justice League #1 and the new 52 relaunch. When they didn't get that (surprise!) they got cold feet on the entire line by the looks of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sion posted:

Yeah. Marvel were expecting to get the sorts of numbers that would let them compete with Justice League #1 and the new 52 relaunch. When they didn't get that (surprise!) they got cold feet on the entire line by the looks of it.

I thought it was also the writers got the two avenger titles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was also the writers got the two avenger titles.

Him being moved to Avengers before he was done telling his story on Ultimates was a direct result of Marvel's higher-ups realizing the Ultimate relaunch wasn't getting the sales they wanted. Hickman himself said as much.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Zzulu posted:

Yep, me too. So much great buildup to Reed being the new Ultimate universe Doom.

Then he's beaten...I'm not even really sure how, I guess Sue storm invisiballed-him after Tony's tumor talked to his city.

This is the one time I'd be ok with the villain having a "That's what I intended ALL ALONG!" plan, because frankly after 1000 years of planning, there's no way he'd be that stupid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Yep, me too. So much great buildup to Reed being the new Ultimate universe Doom.

Then he's beaten...I'm not even really sure how, I guess Sue storm invisiballed-him after Tony's tumor talked to his city.

This is the one time I'd be ok with the villain having a "That's what I intended ALL ALONG!" plan, because frankly after 1000 years of planning, there's no way he'd be that stupid.

Can not wait for the new writer, as Reed, Hulk, Quicksilver and ?? are going to be the main villains.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mister Roboto posted:

I totally cannot fault Reed for not considering "sentient brain tumor" in his list of what-ifs, even given a thousand years.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I'll never not love that scene for going full retard, right down to Tony tied to a James Bond torture table shouting "Fantastic! :smug:" at Reed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
If you think about it, there's not a lot of ways the Reed thing could have resolved, short of "thing out of loving nowhere that makes no sense at all", or else Reed would have already planned for it.

• Locked thread