Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A reminder for my Dolphin brethren:

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/several-current-dolphins-to-participate-in-uniform-unveiling

- New logo/uniform "reveal" starts at 7pm
- Bob Griese, Dan Marino, and Jason Taylor will be there, in their respective uniforms from each era.
- Current players in the new uniform will be Cam Wake, Ryan Tannehill, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, Dannell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler and Mike Pouncey.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
The dolphin logo looks like it's sleeping. Or has just been clubbed.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I just refuse to believe that the Jaguars will actually use that helmet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Daaaaamn, that's swanky.

Edit: Can the LA team just steal those? LA: Longshoremen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162620/article/jacksonville-jaguars-unveil-their-new-team-uniforms

They look slightly better in this video. Maybe they'll look OK in motion.
Yeah there's actually a gradual fade (or maybe the lighting is just being friendly) instead of...whatever they did with that other helmet:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Gendo posted:

The dolphin logo looks like it's sleeping. Or has just been clubbed.

imagine having three of your greatest players of all time in their sweet uniforms next to tannehill wearing that pos logo lol

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ehud posted:

imagine having three of your greatest players of all time in their sweet uniforms next to tannehill wearing that pos logo lol

*stares at yr avatar*

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ehud posted:

also one of the players they're using to showcase the new uniforms is a guy they're desperately trying to get rid of

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Just in case you didn't hate the new jags helmets enough.

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

TG-Chrono posted:

That's weird, the gradient looks different than in the earlier pics.

For reference:

I think the gradient actually looks "better" in this newer pic than in the earlier pic. Still looks awful though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like the idea, would like to see it in motion.

Could have chosen a better front color no doubt but I'll give them a slight pass being the first gradient helmet.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TG-Chrono posted:

It looks better but we're still a long way from "good"

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Maybe the gradients are different on each side. I don't know. The one posted earlier now looks a little on the Photoshopped side.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boosh! posted:

Maybe the gradients are different on each side. I don't know. The one posted earlier now looks a little on the Photoshopped side.

It might have just been a draft or something. The paint on it looks like poo poo. Like it's not finished. Either way, even with the steady gradient, what the gently caress. Your logo on a background the same color as your logo never works.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TG-Chrono posted:

It looks a lot better than that other pic, but it still looks like something went wrong in the process of painting instead of a deliberate artistic choice.

There looks to be a lot less black. Just make the drat helmet all Gold you morons.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Have the gradient be 50/50 at the start of the season. For every game over .500, the gold takes up more and more of the helmet. For every game under .500, the black takes over.

Continuously remind the players that they own/suck/are mediocre and deserve terrible helmets.

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Have the gradient be 50/50 at the start of the season. For every game over .500, the gold takes up more and more of the helmet. For every game under .500, the black takes over.

Continuously remind the players that they own/suck/are mediocre and deserve terrible helmets.

I like this idea. All black helmets incoming!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Images of the Vikings home and road uniforms from Nike's site have leaked. You can view them here if you want, but the official unveiling is in a little over two hours, so you may just want to wait for that. The uniforms look better in the detailed pictures. Still not sure what to think about the sail serifs on the first numbers. It does have a tendency to create a whale tail effect between the two numbers. Maybe that's an homage to Norwegian whalers, but I'm still hoping that they'll silently get rid of that serif in a year or two.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Here's confirmation that the uniforms were inspired by longboats:

quote:

Nike designers worked closely with Viking athletes, coaches and administration to truly understand what makes a Viking – researching the roots of traditional ancient Viking culture and the characteristics that define the current Vikings football team.

The environment in Minnesota also served as a foundation for the Vikings new design – a harsh, yet beautiful combination of land, water and weather. A Viking is a man of adventure, strength and exploration. They built their ships and tools with a refined craftsmanship and ornamentation, and in much the same way the uniform design features strong simple lines that reflect the curves found in the bow of a Viking ship. The same design lines are seen on ancient Viking horns as depicted on the side of the new matte purple football helmets.

The unique new numbers and font are reminiscent of early Viking uniform designs but now feature curved serifs also reflecting the bow of a Viking ship.

As a reminder to the athletes as they suit up for the season, the inside back jersey neckline features a simple ornamental design also similar to those seen in traditional Norse culture.

They also have their uniform page up now, which contains spoilers for anyone waiting for the reveal.

Link.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hahaha Vikings and boats

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Huh, I actually kinda like what they are doing with the Serifs. They are using it sort of to contour the negative space between the numbers. It's a neat effect, but I don't think I prefer it over the normal versions. With this and the Jags jersey it feels like Nike is trying to make the numbers a shape in and of themselves. Shapes that lead into each other. I respect what they are trying, even if I don't think it's quite successful. The Jags angular versions looked better.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Ehud posted:

hahaha Vikings and boats

To quote Graham Norton, "It's a boat!"

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

Aniki posted:

quote:

The environment in Minnesota also served as a foundation for the Vikings new design – a harsh, yet beautiful combination of land, water and weather. A Viking is a man of adventure, strength and exploration. They built their ships and tools with a refined craftsmanship and ornamentation, and in much the same way the uniform design features strong simple lines that reflect the curves found in the bow of a Viking ship. The same design lines are seen on ancient Viking horns as depicted on the side of the new matte purple football helmets.

The unique new numbers and font are reminiscent of early Viking uniform designs but now feature curved serifs also reflecting the bow of a Viking ship.

As a reminder to the athletes as they suit up for the season, the inside back jersey neckline features a simple ornamental design also similar to those seen in traditional Norse culture.

Ugh, I hate marketingspeak. Anyway, I think it's fine to base some of the uniform on the theme of the team name, but when you start trying to shoehorn too many theme elements into one uniform is starts to look silly. In this case, the number font is overdoing it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The ship effect works better with the top shoulder stripes I think. The number serif is the only thing I don't like and it's not nearly ostentatious enough to take away from the overall package for the home jerseys. Now about those pants...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
More photos, this time from the Vikings:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...56-8b1ba6bda22f

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
They do have a purple on purple combo. I'm probably the only person who like those, but only for very occasional use. Also, it looks the negative space between the numbers can either be a longship or the bow of a ship depending on the numbers. I guess the sleeve design is more of a sail than the serif on the leading number. It can also look like a whale tail. I guess the designer wanted to play with pareidoliaor something.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
The jerseys ares now up on the Vikings store.

http://www.vikingsfanshop.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=578

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Haha that 7 is as plain as Ponder.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
I didn't think the serifs were that bad until I saw the 69. That looks like garbage.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Something doesn't seem right to me about a ladies' size Jared Allen jersey

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ah I'm getting excited

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oh god

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

aaaaa

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

so handsome

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Nike needs to get out of uniform design for a good decade or so.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
Those all-white jerseys look really good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Uh

those sure are some

gloves

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

only temporary posted:

Those all-white jerseys look really good.

They look ok. They really need to get rid of the tramp stamp though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

here is the live stream where Griese, Marino, and Jason Taylor will be in their uniforms next to Tannehills and Wake and other dudes

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/draft/2013.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I really like those all white uniforms. But I do agree about getting rid of the tramp stamp there.

• Locked thread