Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Thinly disguised voice actor jokes

Holy poo poo that art style just looks wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

That is seriously creepy as gently caress.

And you can tell that the designers got their green light construct groove on in the JLU episode where half the group gets turned into kids. Kid John couldn't decide what to make, so what does he default to? Giant missile shooting mecha.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Barry Allen was total whitebread, while Hal was the kick rear end space cowboy. Test pilot was as cool as it got back in the early sixties. If he was created a few years later he would've been an astronaut.

Nah, astronaut doesn't give the same excuse to have him randomly flying around. And as someone who's read a LOT of Silver Age GL (I can see 4 volumes of Showcase Presents from where I'm sitting), he's really not that much more interesting than any other character of the period. Replace Superman 'teaching Lois a lesson' with 'Green Lantern weaselling out of a date/marriage proposal from Carol' and you've got the plot for every second story. The rest being random supervillain, random regular criminal, and general space wackiness.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Reinanigans posted:

I'm going through the JL episodes again too, and boy is this first season just as bad as I remember. It's probably the worst thing the DCAU ever produced, unless you count The Zeta Project, I guess.

How did the league beat the aliens in the pilot movie? Batman put a box on their ship that "reversed the ion charge." That is the most ridiculous pseudo-science rear end pull ever. I know it's a show for kids, but drat. How is this the same show as season 2 and JLU?

Flash was still always awesome though. <3 Wally

Is the general conensus to not like the first season, or are people just speaking up as they re-watch it?

I thought the first season was pretty good, establishing the dynamic and relationships between the founding members. Each story has plenty of time to build properly without throwing everything at you at once. Between the Manhunters, Aquaman, The Legion of Doom (in an early form), Mongul, the JSA, Etrigan, and Vandal Savage you get a good cross section of the different parts that make up the DC Universe.

I also thinks its crazy to say these storylines are the "worst thing the DCAU ever produced" when Batman vs Mutated Farm Animals is out there (among other later episodes of Batman and Superman).

I actually find some of the episodes in Justice League Unlimited to be a bit too much, so you are just throwing a ton of characters on the screen with a quick resolve to the problem due to time constraints.

Not to say this is a common problem, since there are a ton of JLU episodes I love.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first season of Justice League suffers a lot from solutions either happening suddenly or plot developments not really solving anything. Manhunter gets hosed with in the head by Morgana Le Fey for an entire episode, is constantly shat on by Etrigan because of how much of an idiot he's being and refuses to listen because he wants his family back. At the end of the episode he just decides he wants to be good again and crushes the artifact, that's fine and dandy, but there's not really a lot of build up to it and it kind of just happens which makes it a bit more flaccid, especially since it was preceded by him kicking the crap out of Etrigan.

The episode I mentioned earlier where Fury wants to kill every man also would've had the same ending no matter what happened. Had Fury not even been told that a man saved her life, she still would've gone through with like she did, just now she can be more evil because she's like "Oh all of my teachings are kind of bullshit and men might not be that bad, but I'm still going to believe in the teachings by the woman who's lied to me and still kill all men," like what was the point of that revelation? There's a lot of problems with Fury actually, I can't think of anything about the episode I genuinely enjoyed. The entire Injustice League episode is loving nuts, but it's just crazy hilarious.

In Blackest Night also suffers a lot from suspension of disbelief being shattered quite a bit of stuff. Basically, John Stewart accidentally blows up a planet bits it turns out the planet is actually being cloaked by a device and the explosion was fake, okay. First of all, everyone immediately assumes it's real and apparently does no investigation on where it happened, not even the Green Lanterns who need probing from Hawkgirl to actually stick up for their comrade. It turns out the entire thing was a ploy to get the Guardians away from Oa so the Manhunters could get power, they do and then the problem is solved by John just sucking up the energy Manhunter and blasting him into space, nice to know it was that easy. There's other episodes with problems like this too, but enough of that.

I finished Season 2 and pretty much all of it is better than Season 1, but there's still a few problems I have. I really didn't care for Green Lantern and Hawkgirl's romance, it's a romance between a boring character like John Stewart and Hawkgirl, who is more interesting but still on the lower end of... well I can't really care. I didn't like the season finale either because it focuses too much on that romance, Hawgirl's other guy, and the Thanagarians generally being awful people. The Terror Beyond has too much of Fate not explaining at all why he's doing what he's doing so everyone is dumb as a result and causes a problem. A Better World is a great episode, with just a bizarre opening in that Batman perfectly accepts Superman's murder of Lex Luthor, but it leads to the best parts of the episode so whatever I guess I can give that one a pass.

That all being said, Season 2 was great, Tabula Rasa, Wild Cards, Hereafter, and Only a Dream were really fantastic episodes and I can't wait to get into JLU.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
My biggest problem with the GL/Hawkgirl stuff is that GL seems to forgive her at the end of Starcrossed, but then it seems to be an issue again in JLU. Now first we had to suffer through a poorly written, hamfisted lovestory, but then the resolution from the original is tossed out in favor of more stupid conflict. Great.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Justice League Season 1: Everything Hurts Superman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

gently caress this show and everything about it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

omg chael crash posted:

Another thing about Green Guardsmen:
Why does he use a bunch of cool constructs and Jon just makes dumb lasers and shields through most of the drat series? Was this an attempt to make his power cooler? Never understood, man.
I think they actually talk about it in the commentary for that very episode. Basically what Endless Mike said-- it was too hard to animate (especially since they were putting a chunk of budget into bad pointless CGI shots) and they handwaved it away by saying that Jon was too pragmatic for constructs.

KungFu Grip posted:

Holy poo poo that art style just looks wrong.
I meant to check it out but I'm not too upset because god it just looks SO BAD. The synopsis sounds terrible too-- Balancing crime fighting with cutesy "teen issues" like pizza parties or roommate pranks or whatever the gently caress was basically the exact pitch for the original show, but they sort of drifted away from that angle because everybody hated it and wanted to see actual drama and well-written plots instead of household chores and fart jokes, and whaddaya know it became a huge hit.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Someone set me right on this: the final season of JLU was really meant to be two seasons, right? Destroyer is a great episode but it really, really needed to be at least a two parter.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The Terror Beyond has too much of Fate not explaining at all why he's doing what he's doing so everyone is dumb as a result and causes a problem.

I just watched that one earlier this week and it's basically a condensed version of the trouble with superhero teamups. The heroes fight over poo poo that could have been solved in two minutes with like one "Hey, we're saving the world here, okay?" from Fate and/or Aquaman. Instead, whenever Supes, Wonder Woman, and Hawkgirl bust in, the immediate reaction is "GET OUT OR WE'LL HIT YOU". Hell, even if Fate couldn't be bothered to talk for doing enchantments and Aquaman was just a dick, Fate's wife was right there and could've given Superman an abridged version of "We are sealing Cthulhu, please do not disturb"

But whatever, it gave us a really good episode and that really sad scene in JLU where Hawkgirl has to put Grundy down like Old Yeller.

e: Also, watching the Starcrossed 3-parter with my little brother for the first time and he pointed out that it's kind of hilarious that when the League is on the run picking out civilian disguises, everybody picks out inconspicuous clothing including billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, but Superman goes and manages to find a perfect copy of that same drat blue suit he always wears throughout S:TAS/JL

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 25, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This and Starfire's reaction to Robin complimenting her hair were the only funny things about the whole episode. The show has just started so I'm willing to wait until the first Season is over to see what my verdict is, but this first episode is not promising. I understand it's a kids comedy, but that doesn't mean you throw 50 jokes at a wall and two of them work so it's a success. This being said, I hope Slade voiced by Ron Perlman shows up just because I want to see if they're just going to make him deadpan as hell.

TwoPair posted:

e: Also, watching the Starcrossed 3-parter with my little brother for the first time and he pointed out that it's kind of hilarious that when the League is on the run picking out civilian disguises, everybody picks out inconspicuous clothing including billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, but Superman goes and manages to find a perfect copy of that same drat blue suit he always wears throughout S:TAS/JL

This was especially funny given that Martian Manhunter who we never see take on a human disguise for the whole series picks a good one and Superman is still in that loving suit.

Anyways, JLU's really good, I like how JLU continues the tradition of the only well written romance being Bruce and Diana's, mostly because there's never mushy bullshit between them and they actually act like a couple even if they technically aren't. Also, The Question is loving amazing, I mean I've read some of his comics and liked him, but holy hell he is absolutely hysterical in JLU.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 25, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This was especially funny given that Martian Manhunter who we never see take on a human disguise for the whole series picks a good one and Superman is still in that loving suit.

We saw J'onn take on that same human form when he went home with Clark for Christmas. Also Hawkgirl didn't know who Clark really was so why should he take on a new identity? Also he used said identity to provide a distraction for GL and Flash so they could get on that train.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhyno posted:

We saw J'onn take on that same human form when he went home with Clark for Christmas. Also Hawkgirl didn't know who Clark really was so why should he take on a new identity? Also he used said identity to provide a distraction for GL and Flash so they could get on that train.

Oh yeah, I completely forget J'onn transformed into that form in the Christmas episode, it was not memorable at all. Also, it's not really a matter of taking on a new identity, it's a matter of him always being in that same god damned suit even when they're trying to be inconspicuous that's funny. Also, what does the latter have to do with anything? I made no mention of his identity needing changing. Is that suit actually Clark Kent and so Superman needs to wear it otherwise he can't report or are you trying to make some point when I and another poster was just saying it was silly he had the exact same suit on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Oh yeah, I completely forget J'onn transformed into that form in the Christmas episode, it was not memorable at all. Also, it's not really a matter of taking on a new identity, it's a matter of him always being in that same god damned suit even when they're trying to be inconspicuous that's funny. Also, what does the latter have to do with anything? I made no mention of his identity needing changing. Is that suit actually Clark Kent and so Superman needs to wear it otherwise he can't report or are you trying to make some point when I and another poster was just saying it was silly he had the exact same suit on.

He had the same exact suit because it's his standard animation model and it makes him easily recognizable to viewers. I'm honestly shocked they didn't put Bruce Wayne in his black suit from the end of BTAS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

He had the same exact suit because it's his standard animation model and it makes him easily recognizable to viewers. I'm honestly shocked they didn't put Bruce Wayne in his black suit from the end of BTAS.

Oh come on, The New Batman Adventures isn't really part of BTAS. It's the lackluster sequel to it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It gave us a lot of good stuff though. DCAU Nightwing, that episode with Batgirl falling onto the Commissioner's car, the bitching Scarecrow redesign (with Jeffry Combs voice :allears:), and that episode where Superman had to pretend to be Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It gave us a lot of good stuff though. DCAU Nightwing, that episode with Batgirl falling onto the Commissioner's car, the bitching Scarecrow redesign (with Jeffry Combs voice :allears:), and that episode where Superman had to pretend to be Batman.

Sorry, The Undertaker isn't a good design for Scarecrow. I'm not calling The New Adventures a lovely show or anything, but it was pretty different in a lot of important ways, and also was a lot less ambitious than the original series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No disagreements there, just saying that calling it bad (or casting the original B:TAS in a rose-colored light) is disingenuous.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nilbop posted:

Someone set me right on this: the final season of JLU was really meant to be two seasons, right? Destroyer is a great episode but it really, really needed to be at least a two parter.

No, the series was originally intended to end with Epilogue, and then CN ordered another 13 and hosed it all up. Not that I don't appreciate the love letter they wrote to the Superfriends with the last season, but it ruins the symmetry of the DCAU Epilogue was creating.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry, The Undertaker isn't a good design for Scarecrow. I'm not calling The New Adventures a lovely show or anything, but it was pretty different in a lot of important ways, and also was a lot less ambitious than the original series.

I stopped watching B:TAS a little under half way through and have yet to finish it so I've never seen New Adventures, what makes the two of them so different?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I stopped watching B:TAS a little under half way through and have yet to finish it so I've never seen New Adventures, what makes the two of them so different?

Well, for one thing, every single character design is different. For another, whereas B:TAS made a very conscious effort to minimize the goofy kid sidekick aspect of Robin, New Adventures has a Robin that's all of 10. Where B:TAS was mostly about Bruce, Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl take up a ton of space in New Adventures. It's also far less cinematic and character-driven, and has more crossovers with other DC characters.

So yeah even though it's a continuation of the original series it's pretty loving different. Hence why I call it a lackluster sequel. Like Highlander 2.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry, The Undertaker isn't a good design for Scarecrow.

He was too bulky but he actually looked scary instead of like a loving jack-o-lantern

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Like Highlander 2.

WHOA. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Except for the ep where Batman fights giant mutated farm animals, that was pretty much Highlander 2 territory.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Well, for one thing, every single character design is different. For another, whereas B:TAS made a very conscious effort to minimize the goofy kid sidekick aspect of Robin, New Adventures has a Robin that's all of 10. Where B:TAS was mostly about Bruce, Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl take up a ton of space in New Adventures. It's also far less cinematic and character-driven, and has more crossovers with other DC characters.

So yeah even though it's a continuation of the original series it's pretty loving different. Hence why I call it a lackluster sequel. Like Highlander 2.

I am pretty sure they were forced to include Robin. Also that series is forgiven for "Legends of the Dark Knight, Joker's Millions, Growing Pains, Mad Love and Over the Edge

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry, The Undertaker isn't a good design for Scarecrow.
That was my favorite part!

except for all of Over the Edge because drat!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

McSpanky posted:

WHOA. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Except for the ep where Batman fights giant mutated farm animals, that was pretty much Highlander 2 territory.
Joker's redesign was pretty bad, along with Riddler's though I kind of like that mutated farm animals episode because it was pretty clear that they wanted to do an Adam Westesque Batman episode. Its also Timm's favorite episode iirc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure Bruce Timm just loves everything about 60s Batman, which is good because it is amazing.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
That Riddler redesign was the worst. The worst!!!

...except maybe for the Catwoman one, jesus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Judgement posted:

All of the redesigns were pretty terrible. I hated the Bruce one because they got rid of his little hair flip which really just said so much about the character.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

I have no idea how somebody can say a series with episodes like Over the Edge, Mad Love, and Growing Pains is less cinematic or character driven

I'm not a fan of most of the villain redesigns except Scarecrow, who is way better than his 3 or 4 other terrible designs and they definitely did ruin Mr. Freeze's story arc by making him into basically a lame thug from the Adam West show (which was partially redeemed by Batman Beyond). I also think losing the Bruce Wayne voice was a mistake.

But honestly the storytelling was on point and had about as good a hit/miss ratio as the original series and it had a lot more consistently great animation.

Robotnik DDS fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 25, 2013

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Commissioner Gordon looks like he is in the final stages of cancer in the New Adventures.

I can't completely fault New Adventures though because it was my first introduction to Etrigan.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Don't forget that it also introduced DCAU viewers to Jonah Motherfucking Hex.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Jonah Hex showed up in the original BtAS, though. He fought Ra's al Ghul's son on an airship!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Judgement posted:

Jonah Hex showed up in the original BtAS, though. He fought Ra's al Ghul's son on an airship!

Oh, thought that was a New Adventures episode. Whoops!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Judgement posted:

That son was voiced by Malcolm McDowell, man DCAU had the best voice cast

Havoc904 posted:

Commissioner Gordon looks like he is in the final stages of cancer in the New Adventures.

I can't completely fault New Adventures though because it was my first introduction to Etrigan.
New Adventures also had one of the best openings when it was paired with Superman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f82CEtjgE_0

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Judgement posted:

At least it wasn't RastaJoker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Judgement posted:

Yeah, the Catwoman one is the one I loathe most. The original was simple, elegant and deliberately played into the antihero version of Selina, with it basically being a feminine version of the batsuit (her utility belt is all curves instead of Bruce's all-right-angle one, for instance). The New Adventures design looks like a goth girl got into a community theatre group's Cats costumes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

All of the redesigns were pretty terrible. I hated the Bruce one because they got rid of his little hair flip which really just said so much about the character.

I liked Penguin's redesign, although that's mostly just because I hated B:TAS's Burtonesque long-haired Cobblepot. And while I did like Bruce's hair flip, at least that loving mustard suit died with it.

Spaceman Bill posted:

He was too bulky but he actually looked scary instead of like a loving jack-o-lantern

"Too bulky" is pretty much not a valid complaint in the DCAU, where males come in two sizes, normal and "brick shithouse".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

jscolon2.0 posted:

At least it wasn't RastaJoker.

RastaJoker kind of worked for the angle and the style that particular series was going for, and wasn't meant to actually be the same Joker. The neon green onesie Riddler, on the other hand... On top of not fitting the character that had been established for him at all, it shared the Catwoman design problem where they were just one flat color with no visual appeal. Selena also ended up getting the new DCAU female redesign where she basically became a stick figure with boobs, so I change the "maybe" from my previous post to "definitely" the worst.

And mustard suit owned, gently caress the haters.

• Locked thread