Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Definitely demote it cleanly if you can, if not, cleaning it up manually isn't the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I've come across an odd problem. We have a server running Server 2008 R2 with 3 volumes; C and D which are on a raid array in the server, and an E drive which is a USB hard drive. Volume D has shadow copies enabled and Volume C does not, however the error log is filled with errors telling me that VSS is trying to run on C and can't find any diff space, which it won't since C has shadow copy disabled. If I turn shadow copy on the errors stop, if I turn it back off the errors start rolling in.

I guess I'm stuck in a puzzle, how do I stop a service that's not running?

Edit: May have already solved it. I turned it on, then deleted the schedules, then deleted the created shadow copy, and it disabled itself on C! Turning it on and off apparently fixed it, although I had to turn it off in a round about way.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 19, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

If I've got a non FSMO domain controller in a remote site that's throwing disk errors on both drives in a RAID1 config (and I'm not backing up system state, just data on the server)
And what made you think this was a good idea? Promote another, demote.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

You're a cranky dude lately.

I assume if it's a non-FSMO DC in a remote site and he's not backing it up, he's backing up from a DC at the main site.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Do any of you have suggestions for ways to map a shared mailbox (preferably in a read-only state) to all users who log onto a specific PC, rather than a user? We have a hundred or so small sites, and want users at each site to log on and automatically get the shared mailbox for that site (in addition to their own).

Currently we're achieving this using Redemption on Win XP SP3 machines but it's not implemented very elegantly and the person who originally set it up is long gone. None of the remaining IT support staff have any experience with MAPI and don't particularly want to have to mess with it.

We're using Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010, currently on XP SP3 PCs but in the next few months we'll be switching over to Win 7 x64. Users are using local profiles, unfortunately roaming isn't an option due to the very slow/unreliable ADSL connections at many of these sites.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

evil_bunnY posted:

IDGAF about system state on a non FSMO DC. I've got DCs in other sites that will pick up the slack for now. I'll start backing up system state going forward though.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Not sure if this is the right thread for this--please tell me to go away if I'm wrong.

At my new job, we're running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8 throughout the enterprise. No doubt you're familiar with the obnoxious IE mixed content error that requires you to click "No" to load a webpage which calls both secure and non-secure content. I know how to change the security settings on an individual computer to make this go away. But I want to ask our IT folks to change that setting for all users--I expect they'll tell me to deal with users on a case-by-case basis, but that doesn't seem efficient to me.

My question: in 2013, is there a good reason to continue to have that setting prompt the user to continue? Is there a good reason not to change that setting for all users? I tried Google and it just pulls up explanations on disabling this on an individual computer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LmaoTheKid posted:

IDGAF about system state on a non FSMO DC. I've got DCs in other sites that will pick up the slack for now. I'll start backing up system state going forward though.

This is my attitude, we have 14DC's and probably 12 of them get backed up on a regular basis. I see it as unnecessary as our WAN connectivity is great. We have a few sites that need to 'survive' in case of WAN and a single DC failure so those sites have two, but I don't see the point of backing up all those system states. Maybe I'm wrong, and it's not much data anyway so I guess it doesn't matter, but as long as the FSMO holders and a few others get backed up I think we should be good.

The Macaroni posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this--please tell me to go away if I'm wrong.

At my new job, we're running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8 throughout the enterprise. No doubt you're familiar with the obnoxious IE mixed content error that requires you to click "No" to load a webpage which calls both secure and non-secure content. I know how to change the security settings on an individual computer to make this go away. But I want to ask our IT folks to change that setting for all users--I expect they'll tell me to deal with users on a case-by-case basis, but that doesn't seem efficient to me.

My question: in 2013, is there a good reason to continue to have that setting prompt the user to continue? Is there a good reason not to change that setting for all users? I tried Google and it just pulls up explanations on disabling this on an individual computer.

We ran into this with our Oracle in the cloud site when loading PDF's.. we added the site to the trusted site whatever in IE, and changed the Security Warning to go away for Trusted Sites via GPO. I would probably recommend against doing it for the Internet Zone in IE, it's probably just a site or two, so add them to trusted or intranet site zone and fix from there.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

skipdogg posted:

We ran into this with our Oracle in the cloud site when loading PDF's.. we added the site to the trusted site whatever in IE, and changed the Security Warning to go away for Trusted Sites via GPO. I would probably recommend against doing it for the Internet Zone in IE, it's probably just a site or two, so add them to trusted or intranet site zone and fix from there.
In a logical, reasonable world that would make sense. We've added two major content hosting sites to the trusted sites list, but our communications department requires use of company-specific CSS and HTML templates that keep referencing non-secure content. (Nothing like insisting on proper branding, even when it breaks things amirite. :rolleyes: ) I'm not sure we can train them to knock it off, or pre-emptively add everything they reference to the trusted list. I'll try to adopt your language for a proposal to IT and see if they can put some friendly pressure on communications. Thanks!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Macaroni posted:

On a side note, get ready for a lot of websites to drop IE8 support within the next couple of months; jQuery 2.0 has stopped supporting IE8 and below.

Hooray for your company! :downs:

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I know this is heresy in a Windows thread, but do any of yall use tools to manage updates for Macs?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

burritonegro posted:

I know this is heresy in a Windows thread, but do any of yall use tools to manage updates for Macs?

Previous company implemented Casper, which was pretty successful, but it's pricey.

You can integrate the Mac's with AD and extend the AD schema to allow for managed preferences. AFAIK you can configure an internal update source for Macs via that.

Or, http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/mountain-lion-and-software-update/

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

burritonegro posted:

Define "manage updates".

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I mean a WSUS equivalent for Macs, where I can selectively push patches to a group of machines.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
You can run an Apple Software Update Server on OS X Server. Another option is Reposado (https://github.com/wdas/reposado)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I need some Group Policy help. Ok so I have a GPO where the settings are here:

But when I edit the GPO, I don't see that drill down:

What the hell?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

GreenNight posted:

I need some Group Policy help. Ok so I have a GPO where the settings are here:

But when I edit the GPO, I don't see that drill down:

What the hell?

Are you running the group policy management console from a Windows 2012 box?

If yes, do it from a Windows 2008 box or a Win7 box with RSAT installed. Microsoft depreciated that IEM group in 2012 in favor of Group Policy Preferences. You should still see it on older OS's though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm running GPMC from a 2008 R2 domain controller.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Are you admining from a workstation with IE10 installed? To expand on dotalchemy you won't see it if you're on a Windows 8 machine or windows 7 with IE 10. Uninstall IE 10 and you'll be ok.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 25, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

incoherent posted:

Are you admining from a workstation with IE10 installed? To expand on dotalchemy you won't see it if you're on a Windows 8 machine or windows 7 with IE 10. Uninstall IE 10 and you'll be ok.

gently caress, removing IE10 worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
We have an MDT 2012 Update 1 up and running on a temporary installation, for installing windows 8 tablets, until we can upgrade our SCCM to 2012. But we seems to have hit a snafu.

When you look at the deploymentshare through windows explorer everything looks ok, but when you look it through the deploymentworkbench it's not showing almost anything. My colleague who's working with the MDT is wondering if it's a broken .xml or something else that might cause this behaviour.

Has anybody ran into a similar kind of situation with MDT?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GreenNight posted:

gently caress, removing IE10 worked perfectly. Thank you so much.

And the mind reels WHY they didn't they communicate the depreciation earlier. Its probably in some blurb deep within technet.

Thanks microsoft.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Question about licensing of user CALs. Do you need to license auto-created accounts like IIS accounts, ASPNET accounts, "krbtgt", "SUPPORT_3541a89" and other non-real accounts?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

~SMcD

IT Guy posted:

Question about licensing of user CALs. Do you need to license auto-created accounts like IIS accounts, ASPNET accounts, "krbtgt", "SUPPORT_3541a89" and other non-real accounts?

No, just actual people users. Anything used for administrative purposes (like service accounts and the auto-created) doesn't use a CAL. If you start logging into them, then yes, CAL.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We have 7 domain controllers total and as of this morning two of them stopped letting administrators log on via remote desktop. Receiving this message on both of them: "To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right".

The thing is, nothing has changed between yesterday and today when this started! Reboot didn't help. There is no GPO that actually defines that user account right, so it should be at default settings, which is to allow administrators.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Edit: Figured out the problem! For whatever reason the administrators group had been removed from the "Allow log on through Terminal Services" user right in Local Security Policy on both DCs. Added it back and now I can log in. How the hell did that even happen?!

stevewm fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 26, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

incoherent posted:

And the mind reels WHY they didn't they communicate the depreciation earlier. Its probably in some blurb deep within technet.

Thanks microsoft.

The worst part is, is that this is by far the easiest way to auto put sites into trusted sites. The recommended MS way locks out trusted sites from user editing.

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
On a non-domain box, if a regular user tries to do an elevated action, how do I stop from it from showing what the admin username is? At the moment I get a box with admin login name already filled out and only a password field. I want both the username and password to be manually entered.

I already have "do not display last username" in local security policy set to enabled, doesn't see to affect UAC prompts. Any ideas?

e~ I just tried adding a second local admin but now it shows a list of the admin accounts in the UAC prompt. Sigh.

Onken fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 29, 2013

Mully Clown
Aug 1, 2004

I handle my piss like the great big frilly girls blouse that I am

stevewm posted:

We have 7 domain controllers total and as of this morning two of them stopped letting administrators log on via remote desktop. Receiving this message on both of them: "To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right".

The thing is, nothing has changed between yesterday and today when this started! Reboot didn't help. There is no GPO that actually defines that user account right, so it should be at default settings, which is to allow administrators.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Edit: Figured out the problem! For whatever reason the administrators group had been removed from the "Allow log on through Terminal Services" user right in Local Security Policy on both DCs. Added it back and now I can log in. How the hell did that even happen?!

I never encountered this issue but it does sound remarkably similar to one of the 'known issues' with RDP 8 on Windows 7/2008R2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687
5. Local administrators who are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group cannot sign in by using a Remote Desktop Connection client.
Issue
After RDP 8.0 is enabled, local administrators who are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group cannot sign in.
Resolution
To resolve this issue, add local administrator users to the Remote Desktop Users group.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Is there anything super-important to know about rolling out Server 2012? I think our first use of it will be a small but important file share, so that we can take advantage of the DFS improvements. Everything I've read says that the new RSAT only runs on Windows 8, but that can't be true, can it? :ohdear:

Those of you running 2012 already, do you run Windows 8 so that you can manage it? Maybe a Windows 8 VM so you don't have to use it all the time? Or just install the GUI component on the 2012 servers? FWIW these 2012 servers will be VMware VMs. Any good resources on needs-to-know moving from 2008 R2 to 2012?

VV I've installed it before and successfully booted it up. I'm more interested in the management aspects.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 29, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
You might want to check about the EFI/BIOS setup, I think server 2012 requires the use of the EFI option on the VM.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nope, I've installed a bunch of 2012 VMs and they don't need anything special done.

We're dumb babbies and installed the full GUI on all the machines, so I can't help you with that part though.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

We're dumb babbies and installed the full GUI on all the machines, so I can't help you with that part though.

I had updates w/ reboot on one of my core installs last month. Where's the win here Microsoft?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
The only problem you might run into is that Server 2012 and Windows 8 aren't supported on ESX 4.x - you need to be on 5.0u1 or higher or it crashes out on boot:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006859

It's possible to edit a couple of the VM files to hack it to work, but that's not something that I'd do on a production system.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I should have specified: I'm on 5.1. Like I said, running 2012 is not a problem, it's managing it in production. Since it's just file servers, I'm going to install the GUI and manage through RDP. Thanks!

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Erwin posted:

Those of you running 2012 already, do you run Windows 8 so that you can manage it? Maybe a Windows 8 VM so you don't have to use it all the time? Or just install the GUI component on the 2012 servers? FWIW these 2012 servers will be VMware VMs. Any good resources on needs-to-know moving from 2008 R2 to 2012?

VV I've installed it before and successfully booted it up. I'm more interested in the management aspects.

I'm reading up on Server 2012 now for possible deployment at my company. One of the new features in Server 2012 is the ability to go back and forth between Full and Core installations or even an "in-between" mode that only has Server Manager and MMC components installed.

Link on how to do that in Powershell

Also you can manage Core using the Server Manager tool. Its available on Windows 7 so you don't NEED to have a Win8 machine to manage a Core setup. I think you just need RSAT Tools installed on your machine. More info on it here

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
Who uses an internal IM service? I found an open-source one called Openfire (https://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/‎). It has a bunch of plugins, does desktop sharing, SSO through AD, pre-populated groups. It seems too good to be true.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No Openfire pretty much owns, it's worth checking out for sure. With the disclaimer that I can't speak to its scalabality as I've only ever used it in environments of less than, say, 300 users.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Docjowles posted:

No Openfire pretty much owns, it's worth checking out for sure. With the disclaimer that I can't speak to its scalabality as I've only ever used it in environments of less than, say, 300 users.

I've scaled it up to about 1,000 users, and it's awesome.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Are any of you guys involved in managing the MOE at your workplace? How do you track which machines are running which version of the build, and how do you deploy the incremental changes (like reghacks or scripts) to those machines to keep everything consistent throughout the environment? I feel like this should be obvious, but I can't think of a good way to approach the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wish wish wish we could rollout company IM here. The president is all "what the gently caress do we need IM for? Use email, phones or face to face".

This is the same dude, as the story goes, that when this place first got computers "what the gently caress do we need email for?"