Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are no circumstances under which a letter to a would-be employer should begin "To Whom It May Concern". None. Find out who is doing the hiring. Call and say "To whom should I address a letter?" Worst case, leave the salutation blank, or say "Dear Hiring Manager".

edit

Drop the attitude, now. You are going to have to go through every bit of run-around they want, because this is an entry-level job. At entry-level jobs, when told to jump, you do not get to say anything other than "How high?" In your own recent past, this is how you lost the cooking job.

Are you capable of learning from your failures? At all?

"two week's notice is a courtesy and not a requirement" So, how do you plan to treat the people you may shortly be needing a reference from? With discourtesy?
I just really want this job and I'm frustrated. And to be fair, I've only given my two weeks to two of the places I worked at. The other jobs were located on campus so when summer came around the places closed along with the campus, so it was essentially a layoff.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I just really want this job and I'm frustrated. And to be fair, I've only given my two weeks to two of the places I worked at. The other jobs were located on campus so when summer came around the places closed along with the campus, so it was essentially a layoff.

You don't understand how that isn't at all related to what people are referring to do you? This is both a jab and a serious question.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Benny the Snake posted:

I've applied to all three before, thankyouverymuch.

Fine, then what did you do at the job fair that is going to get those companies to stop ignoring your resumes? Asking for details about positions you haven't even been interviewed for and seeing if they have any questions about what sounds like a pretty straightforward resume? When you heard details about the jobs, did you express how your personality/experiences would make you the ideal candidate?

You've done nothing to show that you treated the recruiters any differently from the Apply Here button on a Web site. Which means you most likely wasted most of the day.

I honestly wish you best of luck and hope your situation improves, but you seem to be ignoring a good bit of advice in this thread. And when asked about it, you don't offer any sort of straightforward explanation (if any explanation at all is offered). And I'm not talking about how much you spent on tacos.

e: please tell me you aren't as evasive during interviews as you are when you're asked here about your 2 weeks notice

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I guess I should explain myself about the McDonald's interview. See, ever since this whole shitstorm started in the OP, I applied to McDonald's and used it as the canary in the coalmine for my job search. I followed up over two months once a week trying to get an interview. So today, when I finally have my interview and he asks me about my two weeks, the canary stops singing. I told him "Yes, I'm positive I put my two weeks before leaving" while in my head I'm panicking, wondering if it's me or something else killing the canary. It's not arrogance or contempt, it's panic, pure and simple. McDonald's is a very easy place to get a job and I was a good worker for them. I have no illusions: I'm working as a crew member and I'm in absolutely no place to ask for a management position. But right now I'm just scared :cripes:

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay, okay. I get the point. Don't reverse engineer cover letters. I did, however, save a template. Name/contact on top, "To whom it may concern," and "Sincerely" at the bottom. The rest I fill in. I'e written a handful of cover letters from scratch already
I've applied to all three before, thankyouverymuch.

Congrats, you've ... Made a template of a greeting and salutation!

Being smug that you've already applied (and not been hired) by big box retailers crack me up. What about the online tutoring job that was mentioned pages ago (where I also revealed I worked in hiring tutors and maintained contacts)? Applied there yet?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I guess I should explain myself about the McDonald's interview. See, ever since this whole shitstorm started in the OP, I applied to McDonald's and used it as the canary in the coalmine for my job search. I followed up over two months once a week trying to get an interview. So today, when I finally have my interview and he asks me about my two weeks, the canary stops singing. I told him "Yes, I'm positive I put my two weeks before leaving" while in my head I'm panicking, wondering if it's me or something else killing the canary. It's not arrogance or contempt, it's panic, pure and simple. McDonald's is a very easy place to get a job and I was a good worker for them. I have no illusions: I'm working as a crew member and I'm in absolutely no place to ask for a management position. But right now I'm just scared :cripes:

Stop. Stop over-thinking it. Just stop. You over-think every little thing. Your cover letters, resumes, how you approach someone about whether they're hiring and what they're looking for, the interview, your actual performance, etc. You over-think, you panic, and then you gently caress up. So take a deep breath and calm down. Even more, your panic might be obvious to the person hiring you, and that makes a terrible impression. It's McDonalds. I know you're desperate for a job. I've been there. However, you need to relax a little about this. Jesus. And also, what does your bad eye sight have to do with having autism or ADD?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

CravingSolace posted:

And also, what does your bad eye sight have to do with having autism or ADD?
Nothing. Just a point that genetics has screwed me over so many times I might as well be autistic on top of everything else.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Eris posted:

Congrats, you've ... Made a template of a greeting and salutation!

Being smug that you've already applied (and not been hired) by big box retailers crack me up. What about the online tutoring job that was mentioned pages ago (where I also revealed I worked in hiring tutors and maintained contacts)? Applied there yet?

I just went through five pages of his posts, and he's ignored every suggestion at tutoring and online employment.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
You are not using the term 'reverse engineer' correctly at all.

But your template idea for a cover letter isn't a bad one. You need something to start with, especially since tailoring cover letters to job descriptions or to companies is a giant rear end ache. I promise you, though, it's worth it.

Look at the company's website or other collateral as you write the letter and see if you can get a feel for the company's voice or presence. If you can use any of their 'attitude' or voice, and parrot it back to them, it may not hurt. Don't overthink this, or you'll sound like a PR twitter robot, but it might help get you in the right mindset to tailor your template to an individual job or work place.

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 25, 2013

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Benny the Snake posted:

Nothing. Just a point that genetics has screwed me over so many times I might as well be autistic on top of everything else.

Stop whinning. Someone seriously asked you if you were on the autism spectrum (since you claimed to be earlier) and you replied with some "woe is me" sob story about you being hosed by your genetics. Stop it. I literally (yes LITERALLY) know a person who is LEGALLY blind and somehow manages to be able to carry a job. People here are honestly trying to figure out where you are loving up, and lets be clear here, you have to be loving up to get fired from two jobs after less than a week working at them. The point you seem to be missing is that whether or not this is being caused by bad genes, lovely parents, or a terrible economy it doesn't change the fact that you still need to find a job. It doesn't matter, if the road is loving full of obstacles you don't just get to sit down and complain about how hard it is. Every couple of months a new group of 20-somethings leave college and instantly become better candidates than you and it's only going to get worse the longer you sit unemployed. Someday your parents are going to die and you are going to already have set up a way to support yourself or literally find yourself with no where to live.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Let me get this straight. You have bad eye sight, so equate that with being bad enough that 'might as well be autistic on top of everything else'?

Grow the gently caress up.

I have systemic lupus, hypothyroidism and epilepsy and I still got off of my rear end and managed to get a job. I also take the medication necessary to function. Meaning if you do need some form of medication, stop pussy-footing around it and loving get it prescribed and take it. None of this, "I'll get addicted to anti-depressants" or whatever bullshit you were spouting earlier in the thread. Any mental illness or handicap you may have may very well be holding you back.

Quit whining. Stop making excuses about every little thing and do what you have to do. Don't half-rear end the job hunt or your health.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

Did you actually give two weeks notice or not? You've told us what you said, not what you did.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

natetimm posted:

Did you actually give two weeks notice or not? You've told us what you said, not what you did.

Earlier in the thread he implied that he couldn't remember.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Pfirti86 posted:

Earlier in the thread he implied that he couldn't remember.

And that it didn't actually matter and the interviewer was just trying to give him the runaround and stress him out for a job they should just give him already (instead of the interviewer just trying to ensure he hires a crew that grasps basic employment etiquette and will show up reliably for their job).

Edit: Benny, I get that job hunts are hard, but your attitude is just horrible. You don't practically have autism because you have bad eyes (Jesus Christ what is wrong with you?), and you don't deserve a job just because you had one seven years ago that was similar/the same. The interviewer doesn't know you from Adam, and sees a huge number of candidates on a regular basis.

Being asked if you were responsible enough to give two weeks notice isn't a runaround, it's his job and he's doing it and not questioning the people who are asking him to do it. I sure hope you didn't lie to him about it, since apparently you can't remember whether you did or not and lying during an interview will definitely kill a job offer.

cucurbit fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 25, 2013

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

I told him "Yes, I'm positive I put my two weeks before leaving" while in my head I'm panicking, wondering if it's me or something else killing the canary. It's not arrogance or contempt, it's panic, pure and simple. McDonald's is a very easy place to get a job and I was a good worker for them. I have no illusions: I'm working as a crew member and I'm in absolutely no place to ask for a management position. But right now I'm just scared :cripes:

Jesus Christ dude.

Does talking to other human beings throw you for a loop or something? "Yes, I'm Positive I did" sounds like such a bullshit answer. I'd figure you were lying to me if that's what I got.

The answer is "yea". That's it. It's McDonalds. They hire mouth breathers and individuals with a few extra chromosomes. It was 6 years ago. Whatever manager you gave notice to no longer works there. They have no way of verifying. A simple "yes" and no one is going to try to do anything else to verify. An overly qualifying bullshit statement? That's a flag.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Benny, I know you're frustrated, but this is not a healthy attitude to have, and wallowing in it is a terrible idea. This kind of bitterness is difficult to hide from interviewers and managers, and nobody is going to be inclined to hire someone who blames his misfortune on common medical conditions that usually don't prevent people from working. Even if you don't bring up the health problems directly, others can still pick up on the fact that you're pessimistic and resentful. (Note that here, I am assuming that you have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and the vision problems that you described, but that you have not been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

What's more, if you have treatable medical problems that are preventing you from hunting for jobs effectively or from performing well on the job, it's your responsibility to address them. I assume that you've got glasses for the vision issues, but what about the ADD? If your attitude is that you don't want to treat it because you don't want to "depend" on drugs, then you need a serious attitude adjustment. By definition, people with treatable disorders depend on drugs. There's nothing safer or more noble about refusing to medicate when your symptoms prevent you from living a functional adult life. I struggled with inattentiveness and inability to concentrate through part of high school and most of college before I finally spoke to a doctor about it and got medication for ADHD. That was one of the stupider decisions I've made in my life, and I ended up graduating college with a lower GPA than I should have.

If it's also an issue of cost, I know that it's a lovely situation and kind of a catch-22 (no health insurance until you get a job, no job until you fix up health issues), but you really, really need to find a way of getting help. I don't live in your state, but maybe a California goon could recommend some state medical assistance you might qualify for or a low-cost clinic that you could visit.

EDIT: Forgot to add that if you're reluctant about medicating because stimulants like Adderall have a reputation for being abused and addicting, you can always express this to a doctor and ask for less risky options. There are non-stimulant drug (such as Strattera) that a doctor might recommend instead. Don't write off any options unless you've actually spoken to a medical professional who has ruled them out for you. For what it's worth (and I am not a doctor), I had similar concerns when I started taking Adderall, and they were overblown.

Also, what cname says down there.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 25, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, you have crippling ADD and need therapy. You should probably be medicated, but in all honesty, it sounds as though you have zero coping mechanisms. Your attention to detail is piss poor, your organizational skills are slim to none and there are serious barriers which prohibit you from accomplishing tasks, properly.

Sometimes people simply gently caress up and get fired. That's fine and all but in your case, I'd be willing to bet that ADD is playing a part in your ability to both interpret and follow directions. I'd be willing to bet that I could gather up all the symptoms of ADD and quote your posts, right next to said symptoms.

Until you get the help you need, you won't be able to properly function as an employee, anywhere! I say this, because it takes one to know one. I burned through multiple jobs and went on academic probation, prior to seeking therapy. My situation wasn't as bad as yours. I only got "fired" from two jobs, but the others sorta phazed me out, in a passive-aggressive, awkward way. Still pretty bad, but the only reason my situation wasn't as bad as yours was because I had better bullshitting skills and actually knew how to land jobs. It wasn't until I was an employee that they realized I couldn't follow verbal directions, for poo poo.

Therapy made me realize that I have a choice between one extreme or another. Either disorganized chaos, or insanely organized, write everything down, use my iPhone calender religiously, set alarm clocks, reminders, etc. Keys, wallet, phone, must go on the night-stand and be grouped together in a neat little pile.

You probably require far more structure and routine. I'm sure your horrible at structuring your own time and following through with that structure.

Get therapy, establish some coping mechenisms/get medicated

I can't do ADD meds either, but that's not because of my own stubborn attitude. It's because I've tried 12 different prescriptions, since I was 13 years old and the side-effects hosed me over, completely.

Without my coping mechanisms, I'd be a useless fool, much like yourself and what I used to be.

Does my boss treat me like a baby and assign me tasks with due dates, like I'm a loving high school student? Yes. Does it suck? It's sorta lovely, but it enables me to get things done on time, with quality work. The reward of a job well done, in the end, far outweighs the humility of having to have told my boss, "I need micromanagement." And trust me, the humility of that is nothing in comparison to the humility of missing massive amounts of information and having everyone laugh at you, over a huge fuckup. (See: the following quote)

Benny the Snake posted:

I've got a big question: is it a faux paus to reverse engineer a cover letter? I've written one for a company that was featured at a fair, and I figured I could just switch around a few names and change a few things for a different company. Is this a good idea or no?

Nobody is harping "therapy" yet, because ADD can make you look and feel, more like an inept fool vs someone who has a legitimate learning disability. Trust me man, beating yourself up and telling yourself "I gotta stop loving up." isn't gonna fix anything. No matter how much you try to will-power yourself from loving up, poo poo will just happen randomly.

You can even find a therapist who will help you plan out your application process. Maybe even someone who can help you find a job, then give you some tools to make you a good employee who can follow through, without loving up.

Here's an example of how I've managed to deal with ADD. I was honest with my boss and told him that due dates are helpful. They'll keep me on task and I won't have to worry about prioritizing.

My Boss posted:

Salesforce Cleanup

Due 4/26 - All spam messages currently in Salesforce should be deleted, not just marked as spam. Please go through all cases marked as "other" or "spam" or "-" and make sure that any spam messages are deleted from Salesforce.

Due 4/29 - all cases opened since April 1 need to be properly allocated with Product and Case Reason values. No cases should have "-" as a case reason and less than 5% should be Other.

Due 5/3 - All paid accounts must be associated with an account of type "Customer" in Salesforce and every Customer account in Salesforce must have at least a primary technical contact.

Static HTML Caching

Due 4/30 - report on status of customers testing static asset caching function. Who is still being trialled, what performance benefit is being seen for each, what other sites are we looking to add, what are we doing to demonstrate to them that performance is being improved?

Setup Guides

Due 5/2 - Instructions for creating/editing CNAME records for top 10 most popular, DNS providers.

As you can clearly see, it's poo poo work. Most of it is data-slave, brainless bullshit. Sure, some of it might be beneath me, but that doesn't matter. If my boss says it needs to get done, it needs to get done and must be important. When I get it done, I'll feel good about it, because I'll know 100% that it's something I was supposed to be working on, as opposed to that feeling of "Is this really what I should be doing? Is this really important? Are my co-workers gonna think I'm wasting everyone's time if I work on this stuff?"

It's very liberating to know your place.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 25, 2013

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
You know, it's very easy to raise the ADD flag and blame everything on that. Based on what I've read from Benny (and I've been following this thread from the beginning) he's lazy, naive, has overwhelming feelings of entitlement, and generally has a negative attitude. ADD be damned. He could change his situation by simply deciding and committing to change. We all see it.

What he doesn't need is another hole to wallow in. He doesn't need therapy he needs to get off his loving rear end.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Shark Attack! posted:

You know, it's very easy to raise the ADD flag and blame everything on that. Based on what I've read from Benny (and I've been following this thread from the beginning) he's lazy, naive, has overwhelming feelings of entitlement, and generally has a negative attitude. ADD be damned. He could change his situation by simply deciding and committing to change. We all see it.

What he doesn't need is another hole to wallow in. He doesn't need therapy he needs to get off his loving rear end.

I think that all of those things may be true, but that ADD is probably still an issue. Even if you can blame the lack of effort put into job applications on laziness and entitlement, it's actually his two failed on-the-job experiences that make me think ADD is a concern to address. I don't think Benny intentionally bombed them because he wanted to get out of working or thought he was above the jobs. I see a real possibility that problems with concentration and attention to detail and multi-tasking screwed him over there.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Shark Attack! posted:

Eventually, you just stop giving a poo poo and shut down. I can't even begin to convey how numb I am to, "He needs to practice his focusing ability." "He tends to be inattentive, at times." "He needs to follow directions clearly and coherently."

Oh loving cool! Hey, depressed guy! You need to cheer up!

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

cname posted:

You probably require far more structure and routine. I'm sure your horrible at structuring your own time and following through with that structure.

Does my boss treat me like a baby and assign me tasks with due dates, like I'm a loving high school student? Yes. Does it suck? It's sorta lovely, but it enables me to get things done on time, with quality work. The reward of a job well done, in the end, far outweighs the humility of having to have told my boss, "I need micromanagement." And trust me, the humility of that is nothing in comparison to the humility of missing massive amounts of information and having everyone laugh at you, over a huge fuckup. (See: the following quote)

As to structure, I think it might help Benny now if he starts making a daily schedule for his job hunting activities (in advance, not retroactively tracking what he did during the day) and sticking to it. He could implement daily quotas: submit X online applications. Write Y cover letters. Make z phone calls to potential employers. He should track his work in a spreadsheet and post it for us. Goons will be happy to beat him over the head if he's missing his goals.

So basically, Benny - if you need structure, we'll GIVE you structure. I'll take personal responsibility for it if all the other goons have thrown in the towel.

And Benny, just so that there is no misunderstanding - I think it's fine to ask your supervisor for specific deadlines and "micromanagement" once you're on the job, but this isn't something you should blurt out when you first meet someone or when you're interviewing.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 25, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

PurePerfection posted:

As to structure, I think it might help Benny now if he starts making a daily schedule for his job hunting activities (in advance, not retroactively tracking what he did during the day) and sticking to it. He could implement daily quotas: submit X online applications. Write Y cover letters. Make z phone calls to potential employers. He should track his work in a spreadsheet and post it for us. Goons will be happy to beat him over the head if he's missing his goals.

So basically, Benny - if you need structure, we'll GIVE you structure. I'll take personal responsibility for it if all the other goons have thrown in the towel.

Hahaha, we've asked him to do this about 5 or 6 times, now. He's sorta done it, but not really. I'd certainly like to see him do a better job of this. I'd be willing to wager a platinum upgrade that a therapist would say the same exact thing.

PurePerfection posted:

And Benny, just so that there is no misunderstanding - I think it's fine to ask your supervisor for specific deadlines and "micromanagement" once you're on the job, but this isn't something you should blurt out when you first meet someone or when you're interviewing.

"What's a ballpark percentage of micromanagement, within the organization? Is there an order of task delegation, within the company, or is it more of a "find something to do and do it," style of task completion?" would be an appropriate phrasing.

Unfortunately, now a days, companies are looking for "self-starters" or people who don't need any micromanagement, because nobody can afford the bullshit, middle-management positions that once existed within larger organizations.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 25, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

And Benny, also keep in mind that even if you're suffering from ADD, a certain amount of this structuring and micromanaging IS going to fall on your shoulders. It sounds like cname may have an office job, as opposed to the foodservice or retail jobs you're focusing on. You results may vary. A McDonald's shift manager isn't going to be able to break down due dates for fry production the way that a white-collar manager can assign deadlines to deliverables like reports or data entry or whatever.

This is where a therapist or counselor or support group might be able to help you develop your own coping strategies for work.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012
I'm seconding what everyone else said about ADD, awesome advice!

Also, since it seems to have been lost in the thread, you should really check out the books I recommended- "Delivered from Distraction" and "You mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?". It seems that you don't understand ADD or how it works at all, and I think you should. Even if you can't afford therapy, understanding your condition will help you set up systems in your life to help you succeed, recognize unhealthy thought patterns in your brain and attempt to reverse them, and stay on track until you get a job and can afford therapy.

I'd also recommend talking to your parents to figure out exactly what you were diagnosed with. Was it ADD? If so, which type (hyperactive, inattentive, combination)? Was it actually an autism spectrum disorder that you mistook for ADD?

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I have untreated ADD (can't afford to see a doctor/get a prescription to help me out) yet I still manage to hold down a 40-50 hours a week job.

Just admit it, you are comfortable where you are and don't really want to change it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
How did someone with this allegedly crippling ADD manage to get a degree? That seems to imply that the OP can accomplish things when he puts his mind to it.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

DamnitGannet posted:

I have untreated ADD (can't afford to see a doctor/get a prescription to help me out) yet I still manage to hold down a 40-50 hours a week job.

Just admit it, you are comfortable where you are and don't really want to change it.

I'm agreeing with this guy. Remember that this thread is about Benny's parents, not necessarily him getting a job. The whole job thing was supposed to be step 1 in a plan to get him out of his home...a home he hasn't complained about for quite a long time. I'm just not seeing him having any drive to get poo poo done because he knows he is going to have a place to eat/sleep/poo poo if nothing works out.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay I'll go ahead and check in today with yesterday's timeline:

7:30 AM: Woke up. Washed up, ate breakfast, got dressed.

9AM: McDonald's interview. As much as I panicked mentally, I made no sign to the manager. All I told him was "I'm positive I put in my two weeks." And in retrospect, I am positive that I at least told my boss that I would be leaving for college in advance of leaving. Whether it was two weeks or not, I can't remember.

9:20 AM: Went around town to check up on places I applied and to apply at other places. I dropped in at an auto parts store, the other Mexican restaurant that needs a dishwasher, the hospital, and a pizza place. I introduced myself to the manager at the auto parts place and he said he'd be making calls soon. The restaurant manager told me if they have something, they'd call me. I looked out front and the "now hiring" banner was taken down, so I don't feel too good about my prospects there. I talked to human resources in the hospital: the food service position had been filled and they forgot to update the job site. I thankfully have the card to human resources: I'll check back on the site today and call HR to confirm the position is still open. The pizza place still has a "help wanted" sign and the manager told me "We always have the sign and we'll review applications when we have something open." I applied for the only position that was open: sign waver. There's still no waver out there. Oh and there's a new fast food joint opening here. I actually talked to the manager who said to wait until the place is opened to apply. In the meanwhile, I checked in to three different shopping centers, stepping in on the places I haven't applied to and asking if there's any positions open.

11 AM: Lunch. Oh and by the way, to put things in perspective, I was on my bike the whole time. Chino is a big place. So is Ontario. After eating lunch, I browsed around at a local bookstore, not buying a single thing.

12PM: Starbucks. Iced teas are about $1.50 and the internet, while slow, is stable. There I wrote cover letters and applied to another third of the career fair jobs.

6PM: Home. Handled a few chores and ate dinner. Double-checked my email account and found mailer-daemons from Second Image and Gothic Landscape. I double-checked the email addresses on the business cards and after a short moment of frustration, I forwarded the emails to their HR departments instead.

8PM: Done for the day.

Today, I'm going to Chino Hills. It's the affluent part of town with lots of businesses and offices spread out.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

natetimm posted:

How did someone with this allegedly crippling ADD manage to get a degree? That seems to imply that the OP can accomplish things when he puts his mind to it.

I don't want to poo poo on his potential ADD diagnosis, because he generally does seem to fit the profile and the last thing I want is for him to conclude "Welp, goons don't seem to think that's my real problem, so I will continue not medicating." But...

He's also worked as a campaign intern doing fairly unstructured tasks (canvassing neighborhoods independently, etc.) and apparently has held down a kitchen job in the past, so there IS evidence that he's a capable adult.

Regarding school, though, he may have had more success there because it was a more structured environment. He had classes to attend at specific dates and times, assignments with firm deadlines and clear instructions, and so on. If he's the kind of person who gets on better when he's being micromanaged, then the transition from being a student to being an unemployed adult with limited prospects and no supervision, that would understandably cause some glitches. The same goes for freelancing on Textbroker or Mechanical Turk - he may enjoy writing tasks, but he doesn't have a professor or a manager looking over his shoulder reminding him to get poo poo done. He doesn't even have specific assignments given to him; it's his prerogative what to take on and whether or not he finishes it.

And maybe he's not putting his mind to it as much as he did when he was studying because he was passionate about English Literature but can't conjure up the same enthusiasm when it comes to nailing down a minimum wage job that will provide for basic needs. It's understandable, but it's not an excuse. Part of growing up is holding down a job, whether or not you think it's fun or interesting.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009
Use the advanced search feature in the AmeriCorps search engine to apply to as many Los Angeles metro area positions as you are able to (I think the max is 10 at any given time): https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do

You have no reason to not do this, it doesn't take a lot of time and there are at least 32 positions in your area right now.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I'll go ahead and check in today with yesterday's timeline:

Benny, I think it'd be helpful for you if you put together and commit to schedules BEFORE each day of searching.

Be specific. How many (and which) businesses will you visit? How many contacts (and whom) will you call? How many emails (and to whom) will you send out? How many new online applications (and for which places) will you submit? How many (and which) previous applications will you follow up on? How much time will you devote to searching for new job openings online, and how many will you bookmark to apply for the next day?

What times throughout the day will you do each of these things? How much time, total, will you devote to this search process?

Plan for reasonable breaks throughout the day, and mirror the kind of schedule an eight hour shift might give you: 45-60 minutes for lunch, a 15 minute break in the morning and in the afternoon. Better yet, make it a twelve hour shift, and throw in one more afternoon break.

Then, post these plans, let goons poo poo all over them so that you can make adjustments, and then post your results at the end of each day. Then rinse and repeat until another job is secured.

Also, if you are not already, please do this:

1) Create a job application tracking spreadsheet

2) Create (at minimum) the following columns to populate, and fill them in as you go:

Business/Potential Employer
    Physical Address
    Name of hiring manager or point of contact
    Contact's phone number
    Contact's email address
    Available position/job
    Application deadline
    Date of initial contact with employer (or date you found online listing)
    Date that you formally applied for the job
    Date that you expect a response from employer
    Notes from your interactions with employer
    Notes about your application (did you send a resume? cover letter? etc.)
    Date you will follow up if employer does not contact you
    Action items/next steps (how will you follow up, any deliverables you still owe employer, etc.)

3) Retroactively fill this in for previous applications if you haven't been tracking. Save "administrative" tasks like catching up on tracking for the weekends/evenings - daylight hours and weekdays should be dedicated to tasks like contacting potential employers.

I know I'm kind of asking for this to turn into a zaurg-style spreadsheet-posting trainwreck, but I think Benny would benefit from that type of obsessive tracking of details.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 25, 2013

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Your entire schedule is hosed together. Unfuck it, man. This is why you need therapy...

Benny the Snake posted:

9:20 AM: Went around town to check up on places I applied and to apply at other places. I dropped in at an auto parts store, the other Mexican restaurant that needs a dishwasher, the hospital, and a pizza place. I introduced myself to the manager at the auto parts place and he said he'd be making calls soon. The restaurant manager told me if they have something, they'd call me. I looked out front and the "now hiring" banner was taken down, so I don't feel too good about my prospects there. I talked to human resources in the hospital: the food service position had been filled and they forgot to update the job site. I thankfully have the card to human resources: I'll check back on the site today and call HR to confirm the position is still open. The pizza place still has a "help wanted" sign and the manager told me "We always have the sign and we'll review applications when we have something open." I applied for the only position that was open: sign waver. There's still no waver out there. Oh and there's a new fast food joint opening here. I actually talked to the manager who said to wait until the place is opened to apply. In the meanwhile, I checked in to three different shopping centers, stepping in on the places I haven't applied to and asking if there's any positions open.

9:20am: Auto parts store | Cashieer | Introduced self to manager.

9:45am: Mexican restaurant 1 | Dishwashing Position | Management promised to call - probably not happening

10:00am: Mexican restaurant 2 | Dishwashing Position |

10:20am: Hospital | Janitor |

10:45am: Pizza Place | Sign Waver |

Ur giving these clusterfuck stories that nobody gives a poo poo about. We don't care about what your spending money on. Just because someone made fun of you, like "Where are you getting the money to spend?" doesn't mean we actually give a poo poo. We're trying to help you get your act together, not curb a spending problem.

You have no executive functioning ability at all. This is another symptom. This can be helped with coping mechanisms. Get therapy.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

cname posted:

Ur giving these clusterfuck stories that nobody gives a poo poo about. We don't care about what your spending money on. Just because someone made fun of you, like "Where are you getting the money to spend?" doesn't mean we actually give a poo poo. We're trying to help you get your act together, not curb a spending problem.

You have no executive functioning ability at all. This is another symptom. This can be helped with coping mechanisms. Get therapy.

Agreed. Benny, it seems like you're going above and beyond to justify to us goons that you really are working on this and look at all the (generally unpromising) things I did today and oh these random events happened as I was searching and...

The BS and the padding in these accounts of your day aren't fooling anyone into thinking you're doing more work than you really are. And you don't need to justify every minor detail along the way, and that includes your spending. Just give us cut-and-dry updates like cnote showed you above.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 25, 2013

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Hey, I suggested therapy way earlier in the thread. I would personally see a psychiatrist or get a referral for it if you're worried about financial issues. There are free, low and sliding cost places. If you end up needing medication, you can often get it low cost or free through the manufacturer itself if you qualify. I get mine through Astra Zeneca if you go through them.

... I know this because for awhile, I'd felt just as stuck. Mind, depression and anxiety are a different animal. My brain would fog over, I'd be so tired I couldn't do much but lie on the floor and it sucked. I still suffer monstrous anxiety and nearly had a panic attack asking a professor for an appointment to ask for a letter of rec. I have to say that it's not an instant process and stress'll really nail ya sometimes.

That being said, take it one step at a time and don't flog yourself over failures. Learn from them. And try not to repeat them.

For what it's worth, a good idea might be to set up an excel sheet and color in the time you do things. You can then screenshot them or upload them and it'll be easy to see without the fluff. I can upload my own schedule as an example. I use one tab for an ideal schedule, and another for what really went down. I like Kanban Flow for projects and intense weeks. Breaking stuff down into steps REALLY helps. Such as: Write first section of CV. Break. Write second section. Water break. 20 minutes on, 3-5 minutes off, etc. It's like cleaning. Sure, you can clean like a banshee for a couple of days, but then you're tired and the habit hasn't been built. So yes, you can write like a fiend, but then you're tired. Take it in chunks. Every day, a chunk, a new cover letter. Something.

Granted, I work part time and have a couple of classes, so I don't have 8 hours, but you might adapt the taking steps idea.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2013

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So you hung out at starbucks for ~6 hours and sent some emails. Great job, dude.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

natetimm posted:

So you hung out at starbucks for ~6 hours and sent some emails. Great job, dude.

He accomplished more in a day than what your average hipster accomplishes in an entire week.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

cname posted:

He accomplished more in a day than what your average hipster accomplishes in an entire week.

That's an extremely low bar you've set there, my friend.

Hey OP, did you apply at the Starbucks you hang out in? They make tips and get health insurance. You also seem to have no problem getting there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh and there's a new fast food joint opening here. I actually talked to the manager who said to wait until the place is opened to apply.

Benny the Snake posted:

I have no illusions: I'm working as a crew member and I'm in absolutely no place to ask for a management position. But right now I'm just scared :cripes:

When you're applying to these crappy fast food jobs, the reason your degree can/will be held against you is it can give the appearance that you're not going to take the job seriously and not be reliable/will leave for something better immediately. You should absolutely be giving them the impression that instead you would like to work your way up - you don't have the experience to move into a management position immediately, but when they ask the "is this guy going to flake out" questions that looks like "where do you see yourself in X years, etc" or other questions about the future, you should give answers that involve you moving into more managerial roles. You want to give the impression that you will care about the job and want to improve and do well. You don't have to ham it up about how its always been your dream to be assistant night fry manager at McDonalds, but talking about wanting to stay in the area due to family and that you'd like to see yourself taking on more responsibilities at the job so that you can leverage some of the organizational skills you picked up in college/your internships.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Never really pegged Mickey Deez for a place that actually gives a gently caress. I'd bet you could lie and say you totally gave your two weeks notice.

I absolutely loathe MacDonalds. The one near my house is a squalid wasteland that attracts filth. There's constantly a garbage-juice trail leading from the door, across the sidewalk to an overflowing trash can with bags stacked sky high in and around the cans, occupying most of the sidewalk. All that poo poo attracts seagulls, rats and other critters I'd rather not see at 7am on my way to work.

Every loving day, I have to walk past the eye-sore that is MacDonalds and all the loving filth it generates. (People included) Every loving day I get a nice whiff of rotting meat, putrid grease and lovely, fatty food. Do they care? gently caress no! Trash is half their business! The rancid smell causes you to gag, which turns your head to the big, glowing arches.

Every time I see a gross pile of litter, (no matter where I am) I can spot a MacDonalds logo or two. You can honest to god, directly associate litter with MacDonalds and the lovely, miserable, slobs who decide to gently caress up the environment.

I can see it right now. "I've got it! LITERVERTISING! Quickly, Chad! Send word to the marketing department!"

I hope someone burns that place to the ground. gently caress MacDonalds.

cname fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sigma-X posted:

When you're applying to these crappy fast food jobs, the reason your degree can/will be held against you is it can give the appearance that you're not going to take the job seriously and not be reliable/will leave for something better immediately.

I was considering saying that he should tell potential employers that he wants to go back to school for ____ reason just so they don't assume he's going to dip the second he finds a better job.

• Locked thread