Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
I'm still wearing the same pair of glasses I got 8 years ago. I've had a couple of eye exams since then and my prescription hasn't changed much, and thus I haven't gotten new glasses. I need new ones soon though, as the spring hinges on my current glasses are a bit loose, temple tips are fragile and cracking I assume due to lots of flexing when putting them on after I put my motorcycle helmet on.

What's the best lens/coating to get in the neighborhood of $300-500 US including a reasonably priced frame? I previously went to LensCrafters, and got whatever their top end lens was at the time. The only thing I've found available locally by looking at eye clinic webpages is Crizal. I don't know if there is anything else to look/ask for.

My prescription at my last exam was:

OD SPH -2.75 OD CYL -2.00 OD AXIS 89
OS SPH -4.75 OS CYL -1.75 OS AXIS 81

Also, a couple of contact lens questions. I had a contact fitting done (at LensCrafters) when I got my current pair of glasses. The trial pair(s) I got back then would not stay put on my eyes. I'm not sure which lenses exactly were tried, but every time I blinked I would have somewhat blurry vision, apparently due to the lenses rotating out of place. Since I kind of need to be able blink I gave up on them and stuck with glasses. When I got my eyes checked last (bit over a year and a half ago) I went to a different eye care provider, and tried another contact fitting. This time I tried Air Optix and one other (possibly Acuvue Oasys but I don't recall 100%). Neither could give me correction anywhere near what I wanted for computer use. They were okay for almost anything else. The other issue they had was horrifyingly bad night vision. I had to drive about 20 miles on a relatively quiet highway one night and every mile of it was awful. Signs were too bright, the road was too dark. Are these things happening because of my eyes, a bad fit, the lenses themselves, or what?

If it's a fit issue, are there specific questions I can ask an eye care provider that will let me know if they're going to take the time to make sure I get the best result possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
I'm considering laser surgery or a lens implant (for my relatively awful eye condition).

I want to read as much as possible about the state of the art of this. Is there a good online source?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

INTJ Mastermind posted:

http://shop.gunnars.com/gaming-eyewear/l/200

Yellow sunglasses for extra megahertz! Is this for real or just an attempt to cash in on gamers.

They reduce the glare and help with contrast. They also have a slight plus prescription (or slightly more plus than a prescription you put in it) which helps for reading the screen. My husband gets pretty bad migraines when he's on the computer for work, and these have helped a lot.

They're not pretty, though.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Ezrem posted:

I'm still wearing the same pair of glasses I got 8 years ago. I've had a couple of eye exams since then and my prescription hasn't changed much, and thus I haven't gotten new glasses. I need new ones soon though, as the spring hinges on my current glasses are a bit loose, temple tips are fragile and cracking I assume due to lots of flexing when putting them on after I put my motorcycle helmet on.

What's the best lens/coating to get in the neighborhood of $300-500 US including a reasonably priced frame? I previously went to LensCrafters, and got whatever their top end lens was at the time. The only thing I've found available locally by looking at eye clinic webpages is Crizal. I don't know if there is anything else to look/ask for.

Also, a couple of contact lens questions. I had a contact fitting done (at LensCrafters) when I got my current pair of glasses. The trial pair(s) I got back then would not stay put on my eyes. I'm not sure which lenses exactly were tried, but every time I blinked I would have somewhat blurry vision, apparently due to the lenses rotating out of place. Since I kind of need to be able blink I gave up on them and stuck with glasses. When I got my eyes checked last (bit over a year and a half ago) I went to a different eye care provider, and tried another contact fitting. This time I tried Air Optix and one other (possibly Acuvue Oasys but I don't recall 100%). Neither could give me correction anywhere near what I wanted for computer use. They were okay for almost anything else. The other issue they had was horrifyingly bad night vision. I had to drive about 20 miles on a relatively quiet highway one night and every mile of it was awful. Signs were too bright, the road was too dark. Are these things happening because of my eyes, a bad fit, the lenses themselves, or what?

If it's a fit issue, are there specific questions I can ask an eye care provider that will let me know if they're going to take the time to make sure I get the best result possible?

Can't help much with prices in the US, as I'm in Canada and there is a rather large discrepancy in price between our countries.

The contact issues may have to do with fit, but are all common side effects of wearing contact lenses. Try more brands and express your concerns with the fitter.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Kane posted:

I'm considering laser surgery or a lens implant (for my relatively awful eye condition).

I want to read as much as possible about the state of the art of this. Is there a good online source?

Not that I'm aware of. Ask the doc about it, then call around and other docs the same questions.

Blckbuster
Jul 18, 2002
VZ Renegade
I made a terrible mistake in buying my glasses.

I chose some large round lens that make me look like a swollen harry potter and the curvature of the lens has a funhouse effect on my vision.

When I look at anything that isn't directly in front of the center of my view the object in my view seems to stretch out into my peripheral vision.

Am I screwed?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Blckbuster posted:

I made a terrible mistake in buying my glasses.

I chose some large round lens that make me look like a swollen harry potter and the curvature of the lens has a funhouse effect on my vision.

When I look at anything that isn't directly in front of the center of my view the object in my view seems to stretch out into my peripheral vision.

Am I screwed?

Maybe? Bring them back to where you got them and explain that you are having difficulty seeing well. Depending on their policies you may or may not be stuck with them.

Oculus Dexter
May 16, 2013

Ezrem posted:

Hope it's okay to jump in here. The Crizal lens is an excellent choice, it is a type of anti reflective no glare coating that reduces the amount of glare that can pass through the lens. It reduces eye fatigue, and blocks glare by more than 98%. It is also great for reducing the amount of distortion that can be present in a lens with so much prescription in it. I would also recommend adding a polish to the edges of the lenses, and choose a flatter frame or one with very little curve to it. This will also reduce the fish bowl effect that can come with so much prescription in the lenses.

As for the contact lens question, there are really not many good choices for your RX. The reason is because when you have as much astigmatism as you have the lenses tend to be a little bit thicker. Oxygen does not penetrate the lenses as well, and they move when you blink. The technology for the Toric ( Astigmatism) lenses that you need has come a very long way even in the last two years or so. But regardless of the type of lenses you may choose you will likely run into the problem of them shifting, and distorting your vision. The lenses that people used to use for your type of RX have become obsolete because the material used in making them was harsh on the eyes, and a lot of people ended up with corneal ulcers or bacterial infections from over wearing them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Two part question. First, I've been having trouble seeing up close which I assume is presbyopia but I notice that if I rotate my lens with my finger, my close vision improves. Does this mean my contacts are ill fitted or is something else going on?

Second, my eye doc tells me that multifocal contacts cannot correct astigmatism, but reading online it would seem this is no longer true. What's the scoop on this?

Lenses are Air Optix, one toric, one regular, although this may change as I've developed a little astigmatism in the other eye.

Oculus Dexter
May 16, 2013

wormil posted:

Two part question. First, I've been having trouble seeing up close which I assume is presbyopia but I notice that if I rotate my lens with my finger, my close vision improves. Does this mean my contacts are ill fitted or is something else going on?

Second, my eye doc tells me that multifocal contacts cannot correct astigmatism, but reading online it would seem this is no longer true. What's the scoop on this?

Lenses are Air Optix, one toric, one regular, although this may change as I've developed a little astigmatism in the other eye.

If you are having trouble seeing up close it is most likely Presbyopia. It is normal, and happens to everyone depending on Rx and age. A change in the RX can really help. If moving the lens with your finger is improving your vision, your Axis may have changed. This is normal. If it is happening on your toric lens anyway, if it is happening on the lens that you dont have astigmatism correction in, it is probably due to your lens drying out a bit and by moving it to the side, you are finding that it is clear because that part of the lens is more moist, and more clear. The edges of the lenses are closer to your tear ducts, and are generally more moist.

It is normal for an Axis to change up to 10 degrees a year,( the astigmatism part of the RX) and can change more rapidly some years than others. It can even go back and forth. As far as your computer vision improving, this can also be normal. Just like holding your reading material further away clears your vision up close, your computer is also further away about arms length. So that distance is better for you.

If you choose to go into Multi Focal contacts, there will be compromises. You will be slightly less clear at near or distance but see well enough to drive, read, use the computer etc... a lot of people find this a good choice, it drives other people crazy and they do not like it at all.

Oculus Dexter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 22, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has there been much in the way of research on treatment of adult amblyopia? I'm highly right-eye dominant as a result of strabismus as a kid (rectified by surgery, but I was really non-compliant with patching--when you're already a bully target, you don't exactly want to make it worse by having one eye).

I have no idea what it's like to see in 3D/stereoscopically, I'd love to find out before I croak :unsmith:

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Oculus Dexter posted:

I would also recommend adding a polish to the edges of the lenses, and choose a flatter frame or one with very little curve to it.

Polishing the lenses may make them look better cosmetically, but will cause internal reflections from within the lens compared to an unpolished lens.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

wormil posted:

Multifocal astigmatic contact lenses so in fact exist, and have for some time.
They are quite expensive however, and not everyone sees well through them.

Try them out!

Oculus Dexter
May 16, 2013

Thunderpussy posted:

Polishing the lenses may make them look better cosmetically, but will cause internal reflections from within the lens compared to an unpolished lens.

A polish to the edges of the lens does make them more cosmetically appealing, but I would politely disagree about it creating glare. In fact I was taught by an optometrist, and a managing Lab tech that the polish can reduce the reflections passing through the lens from light hitting a frosted edge.

I will say that I used to wear glasses that had a -3.75 - 4.00 X 90 RX and similar in the other eye. I had always just got a basic polycarbonate lens W/O a polish and the glare was awful. The first time I added the polish to the lenses there was a definite reduction in the glare, especially with night driving.

I know that for many people I sold to, if their RX was significant I always added the polish. If they could not afford it, I wrote off the cost because it was that important.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Oculus Dexter posted:

A polish to the edges of the lens does make them more cosmetically appealing, but I would politely disagree about it creating glare. In fact I was taught by an optometrist, and a managing Lab tech that the polish can reduce the reflections passing through the lens from light hitting a frosted edge.

I will say that I used to wear glasses that had a -3.75 - 4.00 X 90 RX and similar in the other eye. I had always just got a basic polycarbonate lens W/O a polish and the glare was awful. The first time I added the polish to the lenses there was a definite reduction in the glare, especially with night driving.

I know that for many people I sold to, if their RX was significant I always added the polish. If they could not afford it, I wrote off the cost because it was that important.

This goes against every other writing I've seen on the matter, my own personal experience, and my knowledge of physics.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

squeakygeek posted:

This goes against every other writing I've seen on the matter, my own personal experience, and my knowledge of physics.

Same here.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I got contacts last year and decided I didn't like them. I still have some unopened lenses. Can I return these or anything, or are they just kind of useless now?

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Robin Sparkles posted:

I got contacts last year and decided I didn't like them. I still have some unopened lenses. Can I return these or anything, or are they just kind of useless now?

Unfortunately, once the box has been opened the contact lenses cannot be returned.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
I've got a question that is kind of related. I recently got a new pack of Acuvue Oasys. Upon opening the first pair I noticed that one of the lenses was "folded" in half. They didn't give me any trouble when putting them in or wearing them. Checking the rest of lenses showed a few more being folded.

You're saying I can't return them, since I already opened a pair. So I guess my question is, is there any harm in using these folded ones? Do they wear out faster or something? After all there supposed to last two weeks.

Also thanks for this thread. Made me get contacts after wearing glasses for more than twenty years.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Nezzar posted:

I've got a question that is kind of related. I recently got a new pack of Acuvue Oasys. Upon opening the first pair I noticed that one of the lenses was "folded" in half. They didn't give me any trouble when putting them in or wearing them. Checking the rest of lenses showed a few more being folded.

You're saying I can't return them, since I already opened a pair. So I guess my question is, is there any harm in using these folded ones? Do they wear out faster or something? After all there supposed to last two weeks.

Also thanks for this thread. Made me get contacts after wearing glasses for more than twenty years.

Thanks for reading and contributing!

When one of the lenses in the blister pack is folded in half when you open it, but then you check it over it seems to be okay then go ahead and use it.
If you have any concerns, call the place you got the lens from and ask if they can replace that one lens. That shouldn't be an issue at all.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Thunderpussy posted:

Unfortunately, once the box has been opened the contact lenses cannot be returned.

Thanks, I suppose I will try and wear them sometimes before they expire.

Irontrunk
Jun 28, 2013

Nezzar posted:

I got a pair from an online provider and they where opposite - to + and I tried on two pair before I noticed what was wrong with them and they gave me two new boxes even though Im the one who screwed up the order form.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was mowing the lawn and a got showered with some pebbles that have now left light light scratches on my brand new (not even a month old) glasses. Is there any safe at home way to buff them out? Can I take them to my eyeglass place and have them buff it out for cheap? They're high index lenses for what it counts.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Irontrunk posted:

I got a pair from an online provider and they where opposite - to + and I tried on two pair before I noticed what was wrong with them and they gave me two new boxes even though Im the one who screwed up the order form.

YMMV

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Volume posted:

I was mowing the lawn and a got showered with some pebbles that have now left light light scratches on my brand new (not even a month old) glasses. Is there any safe at home way to buff them out? Can I take them to my eyeglass place and have them buff it out for cheap? They're high index lenses for what it counts.

You cannot buff out scratches unfortunately.
If they have a scratch resistant coating and a warranty then you may be able to get them replaced for free....it all depends on their policy.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a place like Zenni Optical that offers safety glasses? (Alternatively, does Zenni offer safety glasses? I couldn't find them.)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Abbeh posted:

They reduce the glare and help with contrast. They also have a slight plus prescription (or slightly more plus than a prescription you put in it) which helps for reading the screen. My husband gets pretty bad migraines when he's on the computer for work, and these have helped a lot.

They're not pretty, though.

To add to this, I won a pair in a contest and they're...alright? I wear them sometimes when my eyes are bothering me and I feel like they work for the most part. Only problem is sometimes I don't blink as much as I should but blinking is for losers when you need to score that sick rear end frag anyway.

They're also remarkably flimsy and smudge easily. If you have a fat head they also might feel uncomfortable to wear. For the price of free they were great but I'd pay like $40 at most for them in a normal situation.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

I'm thinking about asking my optometrist to fix me up with new glasses with Gunnar-like coating. My office has overhead lighting everywhere and there's glare all around.

Is there a specific color I can ask for or a specific material to use for this coating? Anyone know the exact details?

(I can't go through the Gunnar prescription process since they don't go higher than +7.)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I made a big mistake with my glasses and need to figure out how to minimize the damage done.

I got my eyes tested because I needed a stronger prescription. None of the frames that I liked were affordable, so I went to another location and picked out a pair of metal frames that were kinda oval shaped, but most importantly, cheap. I wanted to avoid metal frames, but they didn't have any plastic ones that I liked.

When I picked up my new glasses, I realized that I had made a big mistake. I had forgotten just how much the nose guard on metal frames bothers me. I wore the new frames for 3 days before getting frustrated with them and putting them back in the case. I've been wearing my old glasses for a month now because I just can't bear to wear the new ones.

My current frames are plastic and seem to be on decent shape (though the lenses are poo poo), but they have been discontinued and I can't seem to find any similar frames that are remotely affordable for me.

Is there anything I can do beyond just keep wearing my old glasses for another 2 years?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Get a refund?

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT
Can't you just have them put the new lenses in the old frames?

The Baroness fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 6, 2013

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Baroness posted:

Can't you just have them put the new lenses in the old frames?

That sounds like the best idea. I'll have to ask about that, when I'm able to go in.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there a place like Zenni Optical that offers safety glasses? (Alternatively, does Zenni offer safety glasses? I couldn't find them.)

Not that I am aware of. Every country would have their own specific laws regarding safety frames and lenses.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

Kane posted:

I'm thinking about asking my optometrist to fix me up with new glasses with Gunnar-like coating. My office has overhead lighting everywhere and there's glare all around.

Is there a specific color I can ask for or a specific material to use for this coating? Anyone know the exact details?

(I can't go through the Gunnar prescription process since they don't go higher than +7.)

No one knows? :/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've been wearing the same brand of contact lenses for about five years. Acuvue Oasis Lenses. I always get the monthly packs and wear them for about 2 months at a time, or until they get annoying. My optometrist says that's fine, as long as they're not drying out, which they don't until about three months, so I give it good leeway.

For the last month or so I've been having problems with the lenses in my left eye though. They constantly feel like they no longer fit right, they're just kind of generally annoying, and eventually I get frustrated and dig them out of my eye. First I thought it might have been that I've gone too long wearing contacts so I took both my contacts out and just wore glasses for about a week. Then I replaced them, and had the same problem. The one I replaced them with was the last in my box so I ordered two new boxes and changed them again, and it's still a problem.

Should I try and order a new brand of lenses or something and see if they fit better? Is it normal for my eye to suddenly hate one brand of lens? It doesn't irritate it or anything, it almost just sort of constantly feels like the lens is off by a couple millimeters, sort of like it does when you first put it in and it's not quiiiite in position, but feels like that all the time.

Thanks!

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

HookShot posted:

I've been wearing the same brand of contact lenses for about five years. Acuvue Oasis.
Thanks!

Three questions:

1. Did you know that Acuvue Oasys lenses are meant to be replaced every two weeks?

2. What kind of solution do you use to clean and store your contacts?

3. Has your optometrist ever checked you for giant papillary conjunctivitis?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Three questions:

1. Did you know that Acuvue Oasys lenses are meant to be replaced every two weeks?

2. What kind of solution do you use to clean and store your contacts?

3. Has your optometrist ever checked you for giant papillary conjunctivitis?

1) No I did not, my optometrist told me they were monthlies, and there's no information on the box about how long to wear them for.

2) I never do, since Oasys lenses can be worn at night (Oh God I hope this part is actually true now), whenever I decide to go a week without contacts or take them out I throw them out completely.

3) I don't know, I haven't seen him now in a few years and just order my contacts online, although it does sound like I may have some early symptoms of it in my left eye (I've had a look under my eyelids, they both look fine, but the description certainly sounds accurate). Should I find a new optometrist (I've since moved countries and can't visit my old one) to confirm and get some sort of treatment, or would just wearing the Oasys lenses the way they should be worn fix the issue?

Thanks for the info, anyway! I had no idea the Oasys lenses weren't monthly.

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So I decided to go to Costco and get a check up and the guy there tells me I have astigmatism and that getting glasses with astigmatism correction would help me with my vision.

Is it possible for my last place to screw up for the past 6-8 years and not tell me that I had astigmatism? I mean my dad has it.

Sinz fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 12, 2013

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Kane posted:

No one knows? :/

What is a 'Gunnar-like coating'?

a metallic mirror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

HookShot posted:

I've been wearing the same brand of contact lenses for about five years. Acuvue Oasis Lenses. I always get the monthly packs and wear them for about 2 months at a time, or until they get annoying. My optometrist says that's fine, as long as they're not drying out, which they don't until about three months, so I give it good leeway.

For the last month or so I've been having problems with the lenses in my left eye though. They constantly feel like they no longer fit right, they're just kind of generally annoying, and eventually I get frustrated and dig them out of my eye. First I thought it might have been that I've gone too long wearing contacts so I took both my contacts out and just wore glasses for about a week. Then I replaced them, and had the same problem. The one I replaced them with was the last in my box so I ordered two new boxes and changed them again, and it's still a problem.

Should I try and order a new brand of lenses or something and see if they fit better? Is it normal for my eye to suddenly hate one brand of lens? It doesn't irritate it or anything, it almost just sort of constantly feels like the lens is off by a couple millimeters, sort of like it does when you first put it in and it's not quiiiite in position, but feels like that all the time.

Thanks!

1- They are a two-week disposable lens.

2- They are only 1 week if you do not remove and clean them every night. (which, for gently caress sakes, why wouldn't you? its disgusting)

3- Get looked at by an optician if you cannot afford to get an appointment with an optomotrist

4- switch to a PROPER monthly lens, and for god sakes, CLEAN YOUR LENSES EVERY NIGHT

• Locked thread