Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Kind of random, but:

I see some Android phones are sporting ~460 dpi displays. What do people think the chances are we see an "@3x" display soon?

Anyone know the Apple policy on using "Retina" in an app title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I dunno, it seems people tend to use HD instead (it's short, normals understand it).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Carthag posted:

I dunno, it seems people tend to use HD instead (it's short, normals understand it).

It doesn't make sense, though, because HD doesn't refer to density, but size.

It always annoys me when people boast about their "HD" camera when even 1920 x 1080 is a really lovely resolution for a picture.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I know it doesn't, but at this point the only people who care are goons, videophiles and anime fans. So whatever. Though cameras are all about 10 megapixels and lovely optics.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Anyone know the Apple policy on using "Retina" in an app title?
There is an app on the Mac App Store called 'Retina Icon Binder,' so it at least passed muster there.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Small White Dragon posted:

I see some Android phones are sporting ~460 dpi displays. What do people think the chances are we see an "@3x" display soon?
Extremely unlikely. Scaling things for a 50% increase in resolution looks terrible.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have something I can't figure out, and it could be because I'm stupid, or because I dont' understand Right-to-Left languages...

I have an app that one view is localized: iPad is set to US English, most of app is in English, but users select from one of many languages on screen A, then move to view controller B, which is localized properly for that language. All is well, but now I'm supporting my first RTL language. I am loading a new XIB for rtl languages, with things laid out differently. The problem is, the UITextFields, while being right aligned, still input in L-t-R mode: if I type 'John Doe' in, I see 'John Doe' over on the right side, when I think I should be seeing 'oeD nohJ'. I've tried using setBaseWritingDirection:UITextWritingDirectionRightToLeft forRange:[textField beginningOfDocument] toPosition:[textField endOfDocument]]]; in various places, but to no avail.

Is there any way to set a UITextField's direction to r-t-l manually? I guess I can steal the input out when they type and reverse the string, but that seems very kludgy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Have you tried with the iPad set to an RtL language (write down how to switch back if you're worried)?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carthag posted:

Have you tried with the iPad set to an RtL language (write down how to switch back if you're worried)?

Yes, and it correctly (at least I assume correctly) puts new characters to the left of previous input. So somehow Apple does it; I need to know how too :(

EDIT sort of "fixed" I guess... Turns out if you add an RtL language keyboard and select that, your text fields will correctly handle typing in the appropriate direction, regardless of the iPad locale. I love it when things are easy.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 25, 2013

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Two minutes. Two minutes and the tickets are already sold out.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ultramiraculous posted:

Two minutes. Two minutes and the tickets are already sold out.

I got to the final "place order" button and then it errored and removed the ticket from my cart. What the crap. Reserve the drat thing. This poo poo is so arbitrary that it seems like nobody who wants to go can.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

:emo:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I couldn't even get to login. of the 20 ios devs at my company, we got 3 tickets.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I got to the final "place order" button and then it errored and removed the ticket from my cart. What the crap. Reserve the drat thing. This poo poo is so arbitrary that it seems like nobody who wants to go can.

They really need to re-think next year, this is nuts. It's at least not as bad as Google I/O, where there's documented cases of people signing up just to get the hardware handouts and not going to sessions. Still, though.

John Gruber posted:

:smug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultramiraculous posted:

They really need to re-think next year, this is nuts. It's at least not as bad as Google I/O, where there's documented cases of people signing up just to get the hardware handouts and not going to sessions. Still, though.

This actually is a changeup from last year where they went on sale with the announcement and so took two hours because half of America was asleep. This time they announced a sale-time instead so everybody was ready when they went up.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Carthag posted:

This actually is a changeup from last year where they went on sale with the announcement and so took two hours because half of America was asleep. This time they announced a sale-time instead so everybody was ready when they went up.

Yeah, I meant different venue or more conferences or something. I remember freaking out last year and getting super lucky. Everyone at the conference from the west coast had a story about the cat waking them up or something, because nobody was expecting it. Announcing the time at least gave everyone even footing, but a couple thousand tickets just doesn't cut it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey, hey rjmccall.

Help your goon brothers out.

Please

:smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, I meant different venue or more conferences or something. I remember freaking out last year and getting super lucky. Everyone at the conference from the west coast had a story about the cat waking them up or something, because nobody was expecting it. Announcing the time at least gave everyone even footing, but a couple thousand tickets just doesn't cut it.

I would make sense to have more keynote-less WWDCs and then I dunno a flagpost convention for all the hype (plus normal wwdc stuff). But that would kill exclusivity, so... I dunno.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Part of what makes WWDC so special is you get to rub elbows and chat with actual Apple engineers. If the conference got bigger that wouldn't be possible anymore. If they do multiple conferences then you take away too much actual development time from people who have work to do.

They need a lottery system, maybe with some weightings for various factors. Being the quickest to mash the buy button isn't a good way to pick who gets to go.

Also, have the keynote in an arena or something and all the people who only sign up to go to the keynote can get special tickets for that, leaving slots open for actual developers. There is no reason those people should be going to WWDC.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doh004 posted:

Hey, hey rjmccall.

Help your goon brothers out.

Please

:smith:

Sorry, I have zero power over the attendee lists.

I am pretty sure that we do over-book the conference with the expectation that a certain fraction of attendees won't being coming to anything after the first day, although IIRC that fraction really isn't that high.

But yeah, we're constrained by multiple things here, including both the number of engineers who can usefully answer questions but also the size of the actual rooms in Moscone West; we give multiple versions of some sessions specifically because a lot of them hit capacity the first time, even if they're in the enormous keynote room.

But this is why we're making a huge effort to get the talks out there publicly as soon as we possibly can.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

rjmccall posted:

But this is why we're making a huge effort to get the talks out there publicly as soon as we possibly can.

It's literally awesome how fast the turnaround has been the last couple years. Greatly appreciated.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I got lucky, and I'm super stoked to go. :unsmith:

Ender.uNF posted:

They need a lottery system, maybe with some weightings for various factors.

Preference to new attendees would be cool. Everyone agrees that it should stay small.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rjmccall posted:

Sorry, I have zero power over the attendee lists.

I am pretty sure that we do over-book the conference with the expectation that a certain fraction of attendees won't being coming to anything after the first day, although IIRC that fraction really isn't that high.

But yeah, we're constrained by multiple things here, including both the number of engineers who can usefully answer questions but also the size of the actual rooms in Moscone West; we give multiple versions of some sessions specifically because a lot of them hit capacity the first time, even if they're in the enormous keynote room.

Oh I know. Would never want to put you in that position either. Just wallowing in my own filth.

lord funk posted:

I got lucky, and I'm super stoked to go. :unsmith:

Preference to new attendees would be cool. Everyone agrees that it should stay small.

Flag pole. 3pm after school. You. Me.

It's on.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Flag pole. 3pm after school. You. Me.

It's on.

Okay, but I'm warning you, I'm a black belt ninja and my uncle knows the president so you better not hurt me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm playing around with adding a predicate search thingie in an app, and it looks like poo poo because it calls -description:

I have properties on my objects that return a nice display-ready implementation, and I also have NSValueFormatter subclasses that can convert back & forth. But I don't see a good way of putting those on there?

Is there a way to fix that without using a horrible hacks or tons of boilerplate? Everything I can find seems like it's a lot of work:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6193814/using-nspredicate-to-analyze-strings
http://funwithobjc.tumblr.com/post/1482915398/localizing-nspredicateeditor

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I got the email to complete my WWDC registration! Only for it to again be impossible to complete, because it gets stuck in an infinite redirect loop.

gently caress.

Anyone else having this problem?

E:

Carthag posted:

I'm playing around with adding a predicate search thingie in an app, and it looks like poo poo because it calls -description:

I have properties on my objects that return a nice display-ready implementation, and I also have NSValueFormatter subclasses that can convert back & forth. But I don't see a good way of putting those on there?

Is there a way to fix that without using a horrible hacks or tons of boilerplate? Everything I can find seems like it's a lot of work:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6193814/using-nspredicate-to-analyze-strings
http://funwithobjc.tumblr.com/post/1482915398/localizing-nspredicateeditor
I'd swizzle the description method. Maybe default to calling the original description method in it, unless some criteria to use your better description are met. If anything is depending on the structure of description to be a certain way that would seem very odd. Since Apple is generally religious about not being dirty with their APIs like that, you should be OK.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 26, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I got the email to complete my WWDC registration! Only for it to again be impossible to complete, because it gets stuck in an infinite redirect loop.

gently caress.

Like the link in the email just throws you into an ever deepening hole? Man. Maybe try tomorrow. I got nothing.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I'd swizzle the description method. Maybe default to calling the original description method in it, unless some criteria to use your better description are met. If anything is depending on the structure of description to be a certain way that would seem very odd. Since Apple is generally religious about not being dirty with their APIs like that, you should be OK.

Thanks, that's not a bad idea! I's still a hack, you know? I'll probably do that. Though, kinda surprises me that predicates use -description for display instead of some @protocol or hhatever

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm a bit scared that swizzling has been recommended twice in the past page.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ManicJason posted:

It's a rare solution, but it is a solution. If you have unusual requirements sometimes you need unusual tools. :shrug:

Not saying it should be a go-to solution, but if you need to avoid subclassing but you need a method to respond differently, there's not a lot you can really do.

vvvv: Oh yeah, totally forgot about proxying objects. That does sound less evil.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 26, 2013

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can probably proxy the predicate object and replace -description on the proxy; that seems less evil than swizzling methods on the predicate, and your predicates are unlikely to be big enough that you'd ever care about allocating two objects instead of one.

But really, I think this is supposed to be managed by the row template.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

You can probably proxy the predicate object and replace -description on the proxy; that seems less evil than swizzling methods on the predicate, and your predicates are unlikely to be big enough that you'd ever care about allocating two objects instead of one.

But really, I think this is supposed to be managed by the row template.

That's basically what I mean. Put out a protocol or whatever, let us declare how to display predicate rowws easily ya know?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ManicJason posted:

Just to put it in words: Swizzling is awesome, but usually it's easier and cleaner to do it manually.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Who has two thumbs and a WWDC pass?
<== This guy.

Anyone else?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I'm probably never going to be able to attend WWDC, but I always enjoy absorbing myself in the presentations online.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lumpy posted:

I have something I can't figure out, and it could be because I'm stupid, or because I dont' understand Right-to-Left languages...

I have an app that one view is localized: iPad is set to US English, most of app is in English, but users select from one of many languages on screen A, then move to view controller B, which is localized properly for that language. All is well, but now I'm supporting my first RTL language. I am loading a new XIB for rtl languages, with things laid out differently. The problem is, the UITextFields, while being right aligned, still input in L-t-R mode: if I type 'John Doe' in, I see 'John Doe' over on the right side, when I think I should be seeing 'oeD nohJ'. I've tried using setBaseWritingDirection:UITextWritingDirectionRightToLeft forRange:[textField beginningOfDocument] toPosition:[textField endOfDocument]]]; in various places, but to no avail.

A little late, but I thought I'd clarify things. You seem to have a misunderstanding about what setting a text field to RTL actually does.

In every modern OS, all text rendering is inherently bidirectional. The system is smart enough to figure out whether each individual character in the string to display belongs to a LTR or a RTL language, and sets its directionality accordingly. Typing "John Doe" will always output "John Doe", no matter which directionality the field is set to, because English characters are always displayed left to right.

A simple way to think about what text directionality actually does (although this is a gross simplification) is that it determines the directionality for characters that don't inherently have one - that is, punctuation and spacing. Had you followed "John Doe" with a period, for example, it would have been rendered as ".John Doe".

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Don't get me wrong, I love that swizzling is possible. Every time I've considered using it, I've ended up finding a more elegant solution. That makes part of me sad.

I keep the evil side of me happy by using class dump to reverse engineer private frameworks. :love: enterprise development

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ManicJason posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love that swizzling is possible. Every time I've considered using it, I've ended up finding a more elegant solution. That makes part of me sad.

I keep the evil side of me happy by using class dump to reverse engineer private frameworks. :love: enterprise development

I agree but also if I were more sober I how actual examples

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I had a different registration issue, contacted them through the 'Help Me' link, and this morning it went through. Looking forward to meeting you + other dev goons.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Should there happen to be any Xcode and/or LLVM labs at WWDC this year — a possibility which I can neither confirm nor deny — then I will likely be staffing said labs, and you should feel free to drop by and say hello and possibly ask me embarrassing questions about stairs and/or automatic reference counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Well this is the third year I've missed out on tickets so you can all go to hell.