Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

I think I found myself in the trap of feeling like it was TOO similar to X-Files at the beginning, and I liked it less - as an x-files clone. Maybe time to check it out again. Same reason I couldn't enjoy Parks & Rec at first; because it felt like such a blatant The Office clone.

Fringe REALLY hits its stride in the back half of Season 1 and very quickly becomes some of the best recent Sci-Fi TV. It also manages to have a good finale and doesn't totally poo poo its pants at the end, which is really rare for the genre, so don't worry about it blue-ballsing you later on.

ZombieSnot posted:

I too would definitely recommend watching Brick . Especially if you are a fan of noir, or want to try the genre out.

Good lord, yes, everyone should see Brick, it's incredible. The high-school setting works far better than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I've been watching House of Cards(Not the 1990 BBC version) and I really am not liking it. It's basically just a bunch of people being assholes to each other and other people making terrible life choices. My mom on the other hand loves it. I like when Kevin Spacey talks to the camera though.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Neo Helbeast posted:

I've been watching House of Cards(Not the 1990 BBC version) and I really am not liking it. It's basically just a bunch of people being assholes to each other and other people making terrible life choices. My mom on the other hand loves it. I like when Kevin Spacey talks to the camera though.

Are you at all familiar with American politics?

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast

Neo Helbeast posted:

I think like half the Star Trek movies are up on instant and they're none of the good ones. Although Nemesis has Tom Hardy in it so you just give him Bane quotes and it makes the movie far more enjoyable.

This may be the wrong thread for this but Amazon instant video(need Prime membership) has the rest of the Star Trek movies that Netflix doesn't have.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
Yo, I watched The Road a couple of nights back, and it was dumb as gently caress.

But really, it didn't get good until the third act and quickly turned back to horrible as soon as it stopped being about the killer's childhood. If it was a movie mainly about that, that would have been a great movie, but we spent so little time on that part that you have absolutely no connection or sympathy for the ending. Because of that, it just came off totally schlocky.

Although the random interjections of English were pretty interesting. I see that in a good amount of Bollywood movies as well (which I wish Netflix had a good selection of. :sigh:)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Started watching Continuum. Pretty decent show even though the way the episodes end is different.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MNSNTZR posted:

Yo, I watched The Road a couple of nights back, and it was dumb as gently caress.

But really, it didn't get good until the third act and quickly turned back to horrible as soon as it stopped being about the killer's childhood. If it was a movie mainly about that, that would have been a great movie, but we spent so little time on that part that you have absolutely no connection or sympathy for the ending. Because of that, it just came off totally schlocky.

Although the random interjections of English were pretty interesting. I see that in a good amount of Bollywood movies as well (which I wish Netflix had a good selection of. :sigh:)

I read the start of this post and was hoping it was about the movie based on the McCarthy novel. I loved the book and I still want to see that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I read the start of this post and was hoping it was about the movie based on the McCarthy novel. I loved the book and I still want to see that.

It's brilliant but not available yet :(
I would even recommend buying it, watching it alone and then invite friends over to watch it and just wait for them to whisper "Oh god... oh why?"

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

You could probably say the same thing about Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and most other great TV shows?

Random Nightfall
Sep 7, 2011

I'm tired. It excuses everything.
Somehow I missed until yesterday that both West Wing and Cadfael are available in their entireties on Netflix streaming nowadays. Welp, I'm all set for TV.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If anyone's looking for something to drunkenly weep to, Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man is just fantastic. It has Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker, Rufus Wainwright, and all those other awesome guys paying tribute. Check it out.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I most have lived a sheltered life or some poo poo, because I just discovered that in 1980 they made a live action Popeye movie, starring Robin Williams in his first big role. It's a musical, and looks like it should have been a stage show, and is entiely fantastic. It also stars Shelley Duval as a perfect Olive Oyle.

I watched it last night, and am still confused. poo poo like this is why I love Netflix.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ironhead posted:

I most have lived a sheltered life or some poo poo, because I just discovered that in 1980 they made a live action Popeye movie, starring Robin Williams in his first big role. It's a musical, and looks like it should have been a stage show, and is entiely fantastic. It also stars Shelley Duval as a perfect Olive Oyle.

I watched it last night, and am still confused. poo poo like this is why I love Netflix.

The place in Italy where this was filmed is apparently a big tourist attraction, I think most of the elaborate construction is still there or something.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm about 5 episodes in, and not entirely sure why I feel compelled to keep watching it. It feels/looks cheap and the acting is terrible.

As far as the rich kid though, he isn't supposed to be charming and charismatic. Most of town hates him, and the cops hate more and it is mentioned many times that he has absolutely no friends. He isn't the charming rich kid that everyone wants to hang out with.

Bill still somehow manages to be unlikable in the wrong way, and it makes me sad that he is so terrible, since I love his brother and father.

But he's constantly sleeping with attractive girls and going to parties and stuff. It seems like he's hated by the adults and in with people at school. None of it makes any sense. I'm on like the second or third to last episode and it's just gotten more terrible as it's gone.

I am hesitant to call the acting terrible, though. I mean, it isn't good, but the writing is loving horrendous and the direction lacks even the most basic signs of competence that I don't know that I feel right blaming the actors because there is gently caress all for them to work with. There's a line in one episode where the vampire dude says "stupid loving birds" and the line sounds horrible and stilted, but it also makes zero sense for his character or for the conversation preceding it. It's all so bizarre.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I recently discovered Poirot and have been burning through episodes. Do they ever add new seasons (series)?

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
My wife is a huge X-files fan, so we started watching Fringe. It frustrates me because it is enough like the X-files to be disappointing that it isn't nearly as good. Not bad in it's own right, but don't go in expecting Mulder and Scully.

To contribute- Fire and Ice. Ralph Bakshi animated tale about barbarians, wizards, and busty princesses. :black101: as hell, and lots of fun to watch.

Also the entirety of the aforementioned X-files. So good.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

wormil posted:

I recently discovered Poirot and have been burning through episodes. Do they ever add new seasons (series)?

Also, Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.

EAT IT CUMBERBATCH.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fringe shakes off the X-Files hangups pretty quickly and takes off like a rockets after the first half of the first season. It's pretty great.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Capoeira Capybara posted:

My wife is a huge X-files fan, so we started watching Fringe. It frustrates me because it is enough like the X-files to be disappointing that it isn't nearly as good. Not bad in it's own right, but don't go in expecting Mulder and Scully.

I always found the best episodes of X-Files were strictly one-offs, nothing to do with any ongoing story and not a revisited character. In fact Mulder's sister and that oil stuff were the most boring episodes. Fringe is the exact opposite, by the end of the first season they start to tie things together and the core storyline is the reason to watch the show.

Anyway to contribute I just realized The Riches was on instant. This is an FX series worth watching, about a family of travelling con-artists who attempt to assume the identity of some normal folk. I found it pretty entertaining, especially if you enjoy Eddie Izzard. Cancelled before resolution to many story elements FYI.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Does Joshua Jackson ever grow into the role of bad rear end FBI agent/genius or does he remain horribly awkward and miscast for the entire series? I watched like the first four episodes and that was my main sticking point since he's such a prominent character.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did they take off Jon Benjamin Has a Van? We watched two episodes and got really into it, now I can't find it at all

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Did they take off Jon Benjamin Has a Van? We watched two episodes and got really into it, now I can't find it at all

Showing fine for me.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there a way to view netflix instant at 1:1 resolution? I'm taking screencaps, so I don't want it to be shrunk or blown up. How do I view actual resolution? I asked this in another thread but didn't get any answers; so I thought I'd try here.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

wormil posted:

I'm not sure if they've added new seasons, but there are a lot of good British mysteries. Check out Miss Marple, anything by P.D. James, and more recently, shows like Vera, George Gently and Inspector Lewis.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does Joshua Jackson ever grow into the role of bad rear end FBI agent/genius or does he remain horribly awkward and miscast for the entire series? I watched like the first four episodes and that was my main sticking point since he's such a prominent character.

Watch the first season. It really does pick up. I thought pretty much the same thing as you, that it was an X-Files clone. After season 1 I was completely hooked and the ongoing story is great. Though I think the series really wrapped up with season 4. Jackson is a pretty solid actor, and pairs up well with John Noble, who is amazing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Showing fine for me.

Yeah, my bad. I changed routers and didn't change the DNS stuff so it was giving me the Canadian content

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

neonnoodle posted:

Also, Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.

EAT IT CUMBERBATCH.

I've only watched one episode of that so far and thought it was bit hammy and overacted but entertaining. It was the first episode. David Suchet is pretty tough to beat though as Poirot.

Inzombiac posted:

Fringe shakes off the X-Files hangups pretty quickly and takes off like a rockets after the first half of the first season. It's pretty great.

I agree with this. I had mixed feelings in the beginning with it being too X-File-ish, that and Anna Torv's horrible acting but both settle down pretty quickly.

His character flirts with being bad rear end at times but never really crosses over which was a good thing as it had the potential to be comic bookish. Fringe is Olivia centric in the beginning but eventually it becomes the Peter show which I also thought was a good thing. There are heavy doses of Walter throughout.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

wormil posted:

I've only watched one episode of that so far and thought it was bit hammy and overacted but entertaining. It was the first episode. David Suchet is pretty tough to beat though as Poirot.

You shut your whore mouth. Brett is the quintessential Holmes. :colbert:

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
500 mph storm is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Oldstench posted:

You shut your whore mouth. Brett is the quintessential Holmes. :colbert:

I agree. Those Grenada TV episodes of Holmes are fantastic. It is a little weird when the actor playing Watson changes after the first series though.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Fat Man Little Boy, a comedy standup special by two of the Broken Lizard guys, is pretty funny.

It's best if you have a couple of drinks in you before you watch it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is there a thread for House of Cards? I'm four episodes in it and am really enjoying it but there's a lot that's going over my head.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The terrible aspect ratios for films like Miller's Crossing and The Sacrifice are seriously bumming me out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Is there a thread for House of Cards? I'm four episodes in it and am really enjoying it but there's a lot that's going over my head.

There's one in TVIV: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527777

Bear in mind, since it was released all at once, spoilers for the whole season start pretty quickly.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

VaultAggie posted:

You can also read the episode reviews and commentary at avclub, http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/house-of-cards,415/.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/1/4289180/netflix-removing-1794-titles-from-streaming-catalogue

polygon posted:

Netflix will drop 1,794 titles from its streaming library this month due to the expiration of licensing agreements with several studios, according to Netflix content cataloguing site InstantWatcher.

The Netflix streaming service is currently available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita handhelds. Content slated for removal includes 15 seasons of Comedy Central's South Park, older classics horror movies and early films from the James Bond franchise. Slate reports studios with which licensing deals are ending include MGM, Universal and Warner Bros.

A representative from Netflix confirmed with The Verge that titles would start to be removed soon, and that the decision to let the licensing deals expire is part of the company's strategy to become an "expert programmer" rather than a "broad distributor."

"The vast majority of the titles that expire on Wednesday are older features that were aggregated by Epix," a representative from Netflix said in a statement. "We recently added many great, more recent titles such as ParaNorman (Universal), Hunger Games (Epix), Safe (Epix) and Bachelorette (Weinstein). Tomorrow we will also add MI:2, among many other titles.

"Netflix is a dynamic service, we constantly update the TV shows and movies that are available to our members," the spokesperson added. "We will add more than 500 titles May 1, but we also have titles expiring, this ebb and flow happens all the time."

Warner Bros. noted on Twitter that titles being removed from Netflix will not appear on the Warner Instant Archive steaming service right away. Last year Netflix also removed a sizeable amount of content after its agreement with Starz expired.

A full list of content scheduled for removal can be found on InstantWatcher.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

article posted:

the company's strategy to become an "expert programmer" rather than a "broad distributor."

Oh, so they're back to making bad decisions again? A wide selection is one of the only thing that actually separates Netflix from their competition, what the hell.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh, so they're back to making bad decisions again? A wide selection is one of the only thing that actually separates Netflix from their competition, what the hell.

I think the people that don't like Netflix because it doesn't have "current stuff" will never be happy. The licensing money required to make ongoing deals with all the major studios and networks is simply prohibitive, not to mention every company is trying to start its own ill-advised fiefdom of internet streaming.

The only way for Netflix to survive is to break free of being a middle-man and produce its own content. I think there's a lot of movies and indies / foreign films and less popular TV that are well served by the Netflix service and who wouldn't see good internet distribution otherwise. But realistically the brief window when TONS of stuff was on Netflix is gone and will never return.

The customers best served by Netflix now are the types who used to go into movie stores not thinking "Where's that movie I want," but rather "This looks interesting! Glad I wandered the aisles." Would I like Netflix to have as broad a selection as possible? Absolutely. And believe me, they would too. But they're correct that the future is as an originator of content first, not an internet distributor. If anything, all these small streaming services prove it's a lot easier to stream movies than it is to make new, compelling content.

But, as I think the Netflix CEO said, if they can become HBO faster than vice versa, they'll succeed. If their gamble pays off, in five years this could look like one of the smartest decisions they ever made, and maybe even prophetic of the fundamental changes in the way we consume content. While "Quickster" or whatever their DVD spinoff was going to be called has become a punching bag for the media, in light of their push towards streaming original content it becomes clear that they were trying to lay the groundwork for a new brand identity centered around their own material.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really think wanting lots of brand new stuff on there is at all reasonable either (well, it should be, but the content owners make sure it isn't, largely because they want to make their own service like you mentioned), I agree with you there for sure.

I guess I read the quote more as "we want to spend money on getting certain popular "premium" things instead of getting lots of things". If they are actually talking about original content, then yes that is a lot better of a decision.

I wonder if this recent push for streaming services making exclusive content will bring about some weird surge of old shows that are now cheap to buy suddenly getting new seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I don't mean to get all :goonsay: about my animes, but does anyone know why the dubs of the Netflix version of Trinity Blood are different than the DVD release? It's like building a bridge, waiting a year, and then tearing it down and replacing it with a functionally identical but shittier-looking bridge (my god, poor Father Tres). What's even stranger about it is that the episodes have otherwise gone unchanged, even retaining the original Funimation credits.

• Locked thread