Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

chumbler posted:

But then I also unironically like the Wing dub voices (well, apart from a couple), so take my opinions on voices as you will.

General Septem is the greatest dubbed voice of all time, and this is a fact, not an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My 'favorite' thing about the SEED dub was when they killed off a character and then had his voice actor play one of the new villains introduced 3 episodes later. His voice actor also only has one voice so it sounded like Tolle was recovered and turned into a crazy sociopath with green hair wielding a scythe. Made the plot a lot more interesting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, dude's a Coordinator. That was our token 'early scene to show how superhuman Coordinators are' bit. Kind of wish they'd emphasised that a bit more in the series, actually - made Coordinators a bit more alien, shown how different they are from baseline humanity. As is, the genetic augmentations at the heart of the series's conflict either don't feel like a big deal or don't feel like they're actually there.

That always kind of bugged me about the CE universe. Although having a bunch of ubermenschen steamroll the hapless Naturals would have probably been kind of boring, I wonder if they could have shown some kind of social differences to make them stand out. As it was, the only difference there was that Coordinator colonies looked like hourglasses and Natural colonies looked like the ones that get dropped all over the place in other universes. I guess they did come up with mobile suits first, and that was supposed to demonstrate their superiority, but the Naturals caught up pretty quickly.

In the UC, Zeon and EF could get away with looking the same because the differences were ideological rather than physical.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

My 'favorite' thing about the SEED dub was when they killed off a character and then had his voice actor play one of the new villains introduced 3 episodes later. His voice actor also only has one voice so it sounded like Tolle was recovered and turned into a crazy sociopath with green hair wielding a scythe. Made the plot a lot more interesting.

I really think that seed dub is pretty crappy, but man, the guy who did Rau le crueset completely nailed the role and was a joy to listen to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Paper Lion posted:

but every time he cries in english you get to comfort yourself knowing that his VA was literally kicked in the nuts by the voice director.

Wait, what? Really? Because that's loving awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt Hill's family has some strong vocal genes because I worked with his nephew and he sounded exactly like his uncle.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I really think that seed dub is pretty crappy, but man, the guy who did Rau le crueset completely nailed the role and was a joy to listen to.

It's so good it almost makes you wonder where the hell it came from, because a lot of the rest of the dub is more or less passable. Aside from Matt Hill's willingness to endure endless nut-jabs. Whoever they hired as Lacus' English singing voice isn't bad, though, I'll give them that. I wish I could find Fields of Hope in English somewhere, but not-Bandai or whoever keeps getting it pulled from YouTube.

e: it's not Pilot Candidate bad, though. That's forever one of the gold standards for terrible dubbing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's so good it almost makes you wonder where the hell it came from, because a lot of the rest of the dub is more or less passable. Aside from Matt Hill's willingness to endure endless nut-jabs. Whoever they hired as Lacus' English singing voice isn't bad, though, I'll give them that. I wish I could find Fields of Hope in English somewhere, but not-Bandai or whoever keeps getting it pulled from YouTube.

e: it's not Pilot Candidate bad, though. That's forever one of the gold standards for terrible dubbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jillian_Michaels_%28actress%29

Her voice is good but the English lyrics for most of Lacus's songs kill me.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

I liked Mu's, Waldfeld's, and the captain's English voices :shobon:. But then I also unironically like the Wing dub voices (well, apart from a couple), so take my opinions on voices as you will.

I'm in the same boat. The funny/weird/cool thing is that Brian Drummond and Lisa Ann Beley are two of the performances I hated most in Wing's dub (as Zechs and Relena), but are some of my favorite in SEED.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

You know, say anything bad you want about Seed (And I know you will), but Rau La Crueset was a genuinely entertaining villian. No especially grand philosophy, no real stake at all in the actual war between two nations other than just wanting everything to die. There is something refreshing about that level of nihilism from a villain.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Hold up, isn't Matt Hill the dude who voiced Ed in Ed, Edd n' Eddy oh my god he is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I'm in the same boat. The funny/weird/cool thing is that Brian Drummond and Lisa Ann Beley are two of the performances I hated most in Wing's dub (as Zechs and Relena), but are some of my favorite in SEED.

Well I'll be damned. I hadn't realized it until your post, but now I can definitely hear the similarities in Relena's and Murrue's voices. Waldfeld and Zechs are pretty different, though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Monaghan posted:

That man is gifted, he was perfect for the role.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

That always kind of bugged me about the CE universe. Although having a bunch of ubermenschen steamroll the hapless Naturals would have probably been kind of boring, I wonder if they could have shown some kind of social differences to make them stand out. As it was, the only difference there was that Coordinator colonies looked like hourglasses and Natural colonies looked like the ones that get dropped all over the place in other universes. I guess they did come up with mobile suits first, and that was supposed to demonstrate their superiority, but the Naturals caught up pretty quickly.

In the UC, Zeon and EF could get away with looking the same because the differences were ideological rather than physical.

To be honest, though, they had all the factors in place to get around the curbstomp issue too if they'd gone in that direction - the Coordinators had technology and inhuman physical and mental perfection on their side, whilst the Naturals had numbers and resources. You know, like if every Coordinator was worth ten Naturals, but if the Naturals had a hundred for every Coordinator.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I was thinking of checking out Gundam Unicorn since the reception to it (in this thread at least) seemed pretty positive, should I watch any other series before it or is it totally fine as a standalone thing?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

BattleCake posted:

So I was thinking of checking out Gundam Unicorn since the reception to it (in this thread at least) seemed pretty positive, should I watch any other series before it or is it totally fine as a standalone thing?

It kind of assumes you've seen UC Gundam shows (seeing as there's recurring characters, etc). It also loves to reference the heck out of ZZ Gundam. It's probably fine on its own but, as usual the recommendation would be to watch the MSG movies, Zeta Gundam TV (and ZZ if you feel like it) and Char's Counterattack beforehand.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It really, really helps to understand Newtypes as they relate to Tomino's social thesis-thing to really get the most out of the movies, IMO.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

BattleCake posted:

It probably wouldn't work on it's own, it references past things all the time. It's heavily working off the UC setting that's been established in past shows.

If you've seen the original movie trilogy, Zeta, and/or Char's Counterattack it would help.

edit: It really seems to be aimed at the fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BattleCake posted:

It really isn't standalone. You'd need to see a bare minimum of Char's Counterattack and probably should see Original Gundam and at least parts of Zeta and ZZ.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
On the other hand, if you just want to see some well-animated fights you're good to go. Unicorn's plot isn't exactly grade A material, so I wouldn't consider it that important to understand all of the things it's referencing.

And if you watch it and come away with the thought "what the hell is going on?", well you know what to watch/read up on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

On the other hand, if you just want to see some well-animated fights you're good to go. Unicorn's plot isn't exactly grade A material, so I wouldn't consider it that important to understand all of the things it's referencing.

And if you watch it and come away with the thought "what the hell is going on?", well you know what to watch/read up on.

If you just want the fights, there's Youtube. There are only a handful of fights anyway and a lot more plot/talking.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Whizbang posted:

General Septem is the greatest dubbed voice of all time, and this is a fact, not an opinion.

"WE'VEBEEN UNDER ATTACK BY MOBILESUITSFROM GUNDANIUM ALLOY MADEIN OUTER SPAAAAACE."

Septem is extra double great because he's ultimately used to establish the fact that Colonel Une is actually a Terminator. Gundam Wing is the best worst Gundam show.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

His death is, to this day, the greatest death in all of Gundam, if not all of anime.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

if not all of anime.

Someone hasn't seen Frankenstein: The Anime.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Pepper posted:

His death is, to this day, the greatest death in all of Gundam, if not all of anime.

Was he the one who Une dropped out of a plane and then shot as he was falling?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can never be too careful!

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not only that, it was a perfect headshot.

Wing's badness swings really hard between dumb fun and boring as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Suddenly I want to watch Wing again, what the hell is wrong with me.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's what I'm doing. I've made my way through all UC programs, aside from Unicorn and G-Saviour, and G. This is probably the 4th time I've watched Wing but the first in probably 6 years. I am kind of astounded by how much half-baked political jabbering there is, and how my childhood brain could withstand so much of it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man, if Band was confused about the whole 'shoot a guy before throwing him out of a plane' thing in the dark knight this will really mess with him.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh, Wing isn't actually too bad. I went into it fully expecting to be disappointed and strangely.. wasn't? Endless Waltz (until the very last scene that basically amounts to "AND THEN THERE WAS NO MORE WAR EVER AGAIN" anyways) makes Relena's character a lot more palatable, I think, and her character was my biggest fear rewatching it. And even though it doesn't say much I like it more than every other alternate universe not named G/Turn A.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Wing is all right despite its inadequacies at presenting a coherent plot and compelling characters. I really like the technology and costume design with the late nineteenth-century aesthetic of the military uniforms and such mixed with the more contemporary sets and 80's-ish space colonies and stuff. It's got some great/awesomely silly Gundam designs (a dragon Gundam, a grim reaper Gundam, a way too many guns Gundam, etc) and grunt suits and a pretty rad soundtrack by Koh Otani. It's definitely way more enjoyable with the hilarious English dub, though, especially when you have friends to watch it with.

Nalmontes
Apr 19, 2013
I watched the first couple of episodes of Wing a couple years ago. It was alright. Though without Wing we may not have gotten other Gundam series.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Well Manicured Man posted:

Wing is all right despite its inadequacies at presenting a coherent plot and compelling characters. I really like the technology and costume design with the late nineteenth-century aesthetic of the military uniforms and such mixed with the more contemporary sets and 80's-ish space colonies and stuff. It's got some great/awesomely silly Gundam designs (a dragon Gundam, a grim reaper Gundam, a way too many guns Gundam, etc) and grunt suits and a pretty rad soundtrack by Koh Otani. It's definitely way more enjoyable with the hilarious English dub, though, especially when you have friends to watch it with.

The Wing dub is almost a yearly thing for me and a couple buddies. We don't always get through the whole show, but it's always watched dubbed. The first episode alone really ought to clue people in to just how deep into Crazytown the ENTIRE CAST really is. Seriously, not even minutes into the mission, and Heero is already trying to kill himself, his Gundam, or both at the same time, and he considers this turn of events to be worthy of elation. The VA's deadpan delivery of everything is unintentionally perfect.

If there ever was a Wing Abridged, they should probably add a HEERO YUI FAILED SUICIDE count.

Caros
May 14, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Wing dub is almost a yearly thing for me and a couple buddies. We don't always get through the whole show, but it's always watched dubbed. The first episode alone really ought to clue people in to just how deep into Crazytown the ENTIRE CAST really is. Seriously, not even minutes into the mission, and Heero is already trying to kill himself, his Gundam, or both at the same time, and he considers this turn of events to be worthy of elation. The VA's deadpan delivery of everything is unintentionally perfect.

If there ever was a Wing Abridged, they should probably add a HEERO YUI FAILED SUICIDE count.

ITS A GUNDAAAAAAM count :colbert:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Nalmontes posted:

Though without Wing we may not have gotten other Gundam series.

I seriously doubt it. Wing was just another Gundam series in Japan, not particularly influential in any way. To a lot of english viewers it was the Gundam and one of the defining cartoons of their childhood which no other Gundam could compare to. To Japan it was Tuesday 1995.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, if any show can make that claim unfortunately it's SEED. X and Turn-A did pretty badly in terms of ratings, model sales and dvd sales from what I gather and SEED revitalized interest in Gundam with a new generation of watchers, even if many of them didn't like the rest of the franchise and didn't buy huge amount of models/toys. It still gave the franchise a kick-start and new fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

I seriously doubt it. Wing was just another Gundam series in Japan, not particularly influential in any way. To a lot of english viewers it was the Gundam and one of the defining cartoons of their childhood which no other Gundam could compare to. To Japan it was Tuesday 1995.

The exception there is that Wing Zero Custom is consistently one of the most popular mobile suits, and the only one to frequently outdo Char's poo poo and the RX-78-2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The exception there is that Wing Zero Custom is consistently one of the most popular mobile suits, and the only one to frequently outdo Char's poo poo and the RX-78-2.

Out of curiosity, where does Tallgeese, objectively the best mobile suit ever created, rank? Angel wings? Pfft. Try gigantic rocket engines so powerful that trying to pilot the mobile suit they're strapped to will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

Out of curiosity, where does Tallgeese, objectively the best mobile suit ever created, rank? Angel wings? Pfft. Try gigantic rocket engines so powerful that trying to pilot the mobile suit they're strapped to will kill you.

Tallgeese is pretty bitchin' for no other reason than it's the reason the Leo exists, which is the greatest grunt suit ever. Yeah I said it. :colbert:

• Locked thread