Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Bummer didn't think the etas were valued that much less. Oh well I'll keep waiting I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

This thread is massive and I apologize for not reading it, but I have a question that I couldn't figure out by googling.

What accounts for the difference in the front bumper of these two? I think the bumper on the sedan is way better. Is it just some kind of appearance option, and not a full 'performance package'? As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be model-year related.

First of all, they are different cars. One is the coupe, one is the sedan.

The sedan pictured has the M-Sport package which has a more aggressive front end, a MUCH better rear end (in my opinion), sportier side skirts, and nicer wheels. There is an M-Sport package available for the coupe too, with the same wheels, similar rear bumper, and an aggressive front end that is similar to the M5 and M6 of that vintage. The 2009+ M-sports for the coupe and sedan make the cars look a lot better, and I think will help resale down the road.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

drizzle posted:

Bummer didn't think the etas were valued that much less. Oh well I'll keep waiting I guess.

They are quite slow and truck like motors. They are geared longer than the i's as well. It also has the metal bumpers, and it most likely doesn't have an LSD or any of the "good" parts that you would help increase its price.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Thanks for the responses about the M Sport package. It definitely makes the car look much better, and it's kinda rare so the prices are disproportionally higher in many cases. Tough choice it seems.

doogle
May 24, 2003

This thread is massive and I apologize for not reading it, but I have a question that I couldn't figure out by googling.

What accounts for the difference in the front bumper of these two? I think the bumper on the sedan is way better. Is it just some kind of appearance option, and not a full 'performance package'? As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be model-year related.

Not only does the sedan have m sport, but it is also a 2009+ (LCI). The coupe is a pre-facelift model and doesn't have m sport.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I love the look of coupes but my 330ci was really worthless to get anything into the backseat, leat alone humans over 5 feet tall. You couldn't even fit a gym bag between the seat/pillar gap and had to always go through the trunk provided you had fold down seats (I did). They look great though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Huh, I find that the front seats in my 2004 330ci can fold forward a very long way and create a very large gap between the seat and B pillar. With the double-hinge the headrests are very nearly touching the windshield. As far as coupes go it's one of the easiest to get things/people in/out of the back seat from my experiences. A typical gym bag is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 24, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

They are quite slow and truck like motors. They are geared longer than the i's as well. It also has the metal bumpers, and it most likely doesn't have an LSD or any of the "good" parts that you would help increase its price.

To add to this, unless you're planning on doing an is head swap (since the difference between the two motors is entirely in the head and ecu) and/or a turbo build there's really no reason to buy an eta over an i/is if your budget allows for it. I paid $1300 for my 325es and it came complete with the sport chin spoiler, LSD, steering wheel and seats.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Huh, I find that the front seats in my 2004 330ci can fold forward a very long way and create a very large gap between the seat and B pillar. With the double-hinge the headrests are very nearly touching the windshield. As far as coupes go it's one of the easiest to get things/people in/out of the back seat from my experiences. A typical gym bag is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

I had a 2001 with electric sport seats and the gap seemed like it was 12-16 inches?? I should really say "larger than a gym bag" as I remember trying to stuff a smallish air travel size suitcase and it was not close to fitting.

However.....it was a long time ago, though, and I sold it by 2003.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Maybe the earlier seats are different, but the electric sport seats in my 04 fold forward in two stages: first the seat back folds forward which leaves yeah about 12-16 inches of gap, and then the entire seat lifts up and forward out of the way and at least doubles the gap size.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The electric seats on a coupe are annoying, you really can fit large things in the backseat if you put the seat all the way forward and tilt it, which is easy with manual seats. I can fit 2 18" x 18" x 24" exoterra reptile tanks in the backseat of my e36. Hell, I even helped someone move in my e30, managed to get a mini fridge in the back.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

drizzle posted:

Eta's are just plain slow and not as fun to drive. It feels asthmatic. And it's a grandpa car. Plus early models just aren't worth as much. In that budget you can find an is in great shape. You'll get a stronger engine, better gear ratios, an lsd, nicer wheels, and I think a nicer steering wheel. My advice is to take your time, don't buy anything with rust or a bad title at that price, ignore mileage, and go off of condition and service history. It takes time to find a good e30 now days but you'll be much happier waiting for the right one. If you're in a rush it's way easier to find e36s. The last thing I'd recommend is to buy from an enthusiast, a lot of people who own nice e30s will post them on forums, e30marketplace etc before craigslist. I looked at 50+ dealership e30s and they were all over priced and beat, personally I had no luck there. Especially if you want something turn-key.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah, check r3vlimited.com and e30tech.com if you have a 5k budget. That should buy you a rustfree 325iS with no/minor issues, depending on mileage.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Craigslist is the way to go for cheap project e30 finds, r3v etc is the place to find well kept and taken care of turnkey e30s.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

The electric seats on a coupe are annoying, you really can fit large things in the backseat if you put the seat all the way forward and tilt it, which is easy with manual seats. I can fit 2 18" x 18" x 24" exoterra reptile tanks in the backseat of my e36. Hell, I even helped someone move in my e30, managed to get a mini fridge in the back.
Yeah, it's not too bad getting big stuff into and out of my e36 coupe, either. Camping stuff for a canoe trip last year took up the entire back seat in the form of big backpacks. Not a problem.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Half-barrel kegerator.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Thanks for the all advice. I've been casually looking for one for the past couple of years but just started looking more seriously since I have a 2 car garage now. I'll be patient and keep looking.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Is there a way to remove the plastic clippy thing inside of the shift knob on a 5speed e30 without breaking it? I have a worn shift knob, and a brand new one without the clip thing. I was hoping it would be possible to swap the clip and use my new knob, but I don't want to break it removing the thing. I've taken the knob off and put it on a few times, and the clip itself isn't worn loose or broken so it should be serviceable.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Thanks for the responses about the M Sport package. It definitely makes the car look much better, and it's kinda rare so the prices are disproportionally higher in many cases. Tough choice it seems.

Prices are higher, but I think any extra money you spend on it would be worth it. The way I'd think about it is to ask yourself, do you want to spent ~$30k on something that is not exactly what you want? I can't imagine M-sport costs more than $1-2k over than the standard sport package in the used market.

But another more practical way to think about it is to consider the BMW enthusiast that you'll sell the car to down the road. If you read through this thread, you'll see it is full of people buying even older used BMWs and being told to wait for the perfect one. When the perfect one comes along you jump on it immediately. So when it comes time to sell your 3 series, the extra $1-2k you spent on M-sport will translate to a higher asking price again, but more importantly you'll have have something setting your car apart from the hundreds other used 3 series for sale and you'll have an easier time finding a buyer.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

CornHolio posted:

However, this week I’ve been getting some stumbling and a check engine code: P1347, or cylinder 3 misfire. I’m assuming cylinder 3 is getting flooded with oil, but would this still point to the oil separator or is this more likely to be caused by a failing valve cover gasket (or something else entirely)?

Valve cover gasket shouldn't let oil inside the cylinder at all. Blue smoke on startup only is a classic symptom of worn valve guides.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

CornHolio posted:

Car: 2000 BMW 540i, 164k miles

For the past few months I’d had a decent amount of blue smoke on startup. This coincides with a steady drop in oil level over time, and I was fairly confident that it was my oil separator based on how cold the weather had been. I have been lazy (and it has been cold) so I haven’t replaced the oil separator even though I already have the part and the gasket to do so.

However, this week I’ve been getting some stumbling and a check engine code: P1347, or cylinder 3 misfire. I’m assuming cylinder 3 is getting flooded with oil, but would this still point to the oil separator or is this more likely to be caused by a failing valve cover gasket (or something else entirely)?

SlapActionJackson posted:

Valve cover gasket shouldn't let oil inside the cylinder at all. Blue smoke on startup only is a classic symptom of worn valve guides.

Not in the way you'd think, but a VCG will let oil into the spark plug bay (trough, valley, well?) and overnight it will slowly seep around the threads into the combustion chamber. This is why it's only happening on start-up. It doesn't leak past the spark plug threads fast enough to notice while the car is running. If enough builds up (and it sounds like it has since your oil is dropping) I've read that it can cause the cylinder to misfire, most likely due to the fact that the spark plug boot is bathing in oil and the coil can't send the spark. This is what mine looked like, but I wasn't getting misfires.:

Pull your spark plug cover and see what's in there. That being said, do the oil separator and intake manifold gaskets while you do the VCG. Get it all out of the way at once.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Pull your spark plug cover and see what's in there. That being said, do the oil separator and intake manifold gaskets while you do the VCG. Get it all out of the way at once.
Do you mean the plate thing on the back of the intake manifold, because the oil separator is definitely not a "while you're in there" job while doing any of that other stuff.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
No, it's mostly just, you're in the engine bay, taking stuff apart, and you know you need to do that repair anyways. Plus the story I've heard is a failed oil separator will blow out new valve cover gaskets. Not so sure how true it is, but doesn't hurt if you already have the part. Just make sure you don't take the fuel rail off when you take the intake manifold off, unless you want to get new pintle caps.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I dunno if anyone has the cash for it. But someone should definitely buy my mates V10 E46.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e46-m3-00-06/v10-e46-m3--545bhp--pectel-cosworth-csl/1304401

Properly properly sorted and savage car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Looking at e36 318is. Claims that the head gasket is bad but says it runs. But when you give it gas it dies. Im taking a stab at either MAF or something else. How do you pull codes in an e36, 1993 model (on the phone so its hard to describe)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Looking at e36 318is. Claims that the head gasket is bad but says it runs. But when you give it gas it dies. Im taking a stab at either MAF or something else. How do you pull codes in an e36, 1993 model (on the phone so its hard to describe)

Get in the car, key in hand. Shut door, turn key to acc. Quickly stomp gas 5? times. Write down the sequence of four sets of flashes. That will be your code.
http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=12471

Filigree
Jul 18, 2012

I hate that I always seem to perpetuate the "women don't know poo poo about cars" stereotype. I tried for about half an hour to get my hood open, with no luck. I asked for help when I got to work, and the hood popped the first goddamned time for my male coworker, despite him and I doing the exact same thing. WTF.

I'm going to start scouting salvage yards soon but I think I'll have to wear my old irrigation boots because I have no shoes that are remotely safe for going there. Also, I don't know if I already said so but I got a jack, a very helpful friend found an ebay listing so now I feel a lot safer instead of worrying about what would happen if I got a flat. (My last Bimmer didn't have a spare tire when I bought it because I don't know anything about buying cars and I drove for about two years before getting a spare. A few days later my ex was driving my car and got a flat.)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm a dude and I don't fix flats on the side of the road, I call a tow truck. It's not worth the risk of doing a tire change on the side of the road. Of course, I live in an area where people will drive on the shoulder both on purpose and accidentally so maybe your area is safer?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
AAA was the best investment I ever made, gently caress all that noise about machismo.

Filigree
Jul 18, 2012

rscott posted:

AAA was the best investment I ever made, gently caress all that noise about machismo.

I have roadside assistance and all that, I just feel better knowing it's there.

Z-Axis
Nov 22, 2004
This might be a long-shot and a lot to ask, but are there any goons in the Austin, TX area who would be willing/able to go look at a car?

I saw this listing (http://cargur.us/k8Mz) today, and it seems like a decent deal. I would have a hard time buying a car without seeing/driving it first, but it would help if someone who knew what they were looking for could give it a look/drive first.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Has anyone heard anything about bleeding an E30 ABS system?

I've got spongy brakes, definitely air someplace. I've replaced the MC, have SS lines, new pads and do not see any leaks anywhere. I've bled the brakes twice now, with a pressure bleeder + stomping the pedal, and still have spongy brakes. Could there be air in the ABS? The brakes were crappy like this when I got the car, so who knows what has been done to the ABS system.

One of the ABS sensors is bad, so I am not sure the whole 'drive hard down a gravel road' will work too well. Sounds like on an M30, you can pull a relay and jumper it to cycle the ABS. I've not seen anything like that for a regular E30.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Dyscrasia posted:

Has anyone heard anything about bleeding an E30 ABS system?

I've got spongy brakes, definitely air someplace. I've replaced the MC, have SS lines, new pads and do not see any leaks anywhere. I've bled the brakes twice now, with a pressure bleeder + stomping the pedal, and still have spongy brakes. Could there be air in the ABS? The brakes were crappy like this when I got the car, so who knows what has been done to the ABS system.

One of the ABS sensors is bad, so I am not sure the whole 'drive hard down a gravel road' will work too well. Sounds like on an M30, you can pull a relay and jumper it to cycle the ABS. I've not seen anything like that for a regular E30.
I know you can use DIS to cycle all the ABS parts on e32s and later. Probably works on e30s too, but I don't have one to connect to so I can look.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SuperDucky posted:

Get in the car, key in hand. Shut door, turn key to acc. Quickly stomp gas 5? times. Write down the sequence of four sets of flashes. That will be your code.
http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=12471

Thanks!

I figured even if the car is completely poo poo, I can still part it out for relatively decent. I chatted with Lightbulbout and I think we both have come to the conclusion that its very unlikely to be a head gasket. Owner sent me a photo of the interior. Its tired, but I think a little love can bring it back to life.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3764818593.html

I know its an E36 318is, so it will be a turd, which is fine. I figured it might be a kick rear end DD/beater. What kind of specs do you get on a 318is? Limited slip? Shorter Gears? Any other info?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Pretty sure it gets the 4.10 LSD. It should also get the m42 which is actually a pretty solid motor if you get it sorted out. It will definitely feel a bit sluggish if it's an automatic though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lowclock posted:

I know you can use DIS to cycle all the ABS parts on e32s and later. Probably works on e30s too, but I don't have one to connect to so I can look.

I've never had much luck getting DIS to talk to my e30, well, none at all, actually.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience getting it setup and working? I have all the requisite parts: P4 based xp machine with native serial with a serial to obd2 to 20 pin connector but have had only hit or miss performance with it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

a serial to obd2 to 20 pin connector
I have multiple working setups, and I'm pretty sure this is your problem. Do you actually have an interface, or just the cables? They make cables which are just straight serial to OBD2 that just adapt the wires, and also ones that are just OBD2 to the BMW 20 pin, and tons of different versions of both that may or may not even have all the pins even connected. You need an actual interface to translate the signals and all that. Something like this.

Also make sure you ran the little adssetup thing included with ediabas, have ifhserv and the diagnostic head emulator running, and set the interface type to ADS in ediabas.ini. Definitely need to have the right interface first, though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rscott posted:

I'm in Canada, so it's CAA, a gift from my parents every year since my 16th birthday. I've taken it over the last few years, because after getting hauled out of a snowmobile track (I'm dumb) the towtruck driver recommended an upgrade in my membership. Now my card says "RV" on it. What the hell are retired RV-ers doing that requires the truck unrolling the winch cable all the way, which is why I upgraded?

My friends sometimes refer to me as "the guy who gets the most value out of his CAA membership" because I've been steadily averaging 2 tows per year for the last 4 years.

Astro Towing in Saskatoon are great. Big orange trucks make me happy.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

rscott posted:

When I was daily driving a MK2 Golf I got picked up on the same stretch of I70 by the same tow truck driver twice within a 6 month period on AAA's dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Pretty sure it gets the 4.10 LSD. It should also get the m42 which is actually a pretty solid motor if you get it sorted out. It will definitely feel a bit sluggish if it's an automatic though.

I am used to driving my Range Rover, so I am used to turd like vehicles. Even if it turns out to be a complete poo poo heap, do you think I could part it out for close to 750? I figure a few people here would be interested in the 4.10 limited slip diff and other things.

I just cant imagine that the engine is completely worn out.