Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Astronomy cast hasn't had any new episodes downloaded since February 14th, despite there being new episodes posted on their website, and Science Friday stopped showing up in PC after April 12th.

Just emailed them about this as well.

Horn posted:

I loved PocketCasts before the update but the new one seems like a step back in usability. It sure is prettier though.

I thought this at first. I then figured out how the new paradigm was supposed to work, and now I "get it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Arcology posted:

So I just recently upgraded to a shiny new HTC One after 2 1/2 years on a lovely Evo Shift. Is there a painless way to take all the contact info on my phone and either upload it to Google's cloud or just transfer it over to the new phone? A few of the contacts in my phone somehow got saved to my Gmail contacts, but most of them seem to be stored on phone for whatever reason - is there an app I can use to save all the contacts stored on my phone into my Google account?

The setup app will transfer everything across with very little effort. It turns your One into a temporary wifi hotspot, you connect your old phone to it and then the ONE copies across all your accounts, contacts, photos, music, everything.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
What is the big difference between Carbon and TitaniumBackup? Carbon seems a little more user-friendly and focuses on apps/app data, is that the biggest distinction?

Arcology
Nov 6, 2012

Flatscan posted:

The setup app will transfer everything across with very little effort. It turns your One into a temporary wifi hotspot, you connect your old phone to it and then the ONE copies across all your accounts, contacts, photos, music, everything.

Yeah, I just came here to post that my One showed up the day after I ordered it and after activating it I went through this process. Super simple and works perfectly, bravo HTC - I'm used to anything involving Android being a huge pain in the rear end so I'm glad stuff like this is being built in.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

What is the big difference between Carbon and TitaniumBackup? Carbon seems a little more user-friendly and focuses on apps/app data, is that the biggest distinction?

TB focuses on local backup commands which require root. Carbon does not but it does require you to be plugged into a computer to initiate it.

AirDroid updated today with a :stare: feature set.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

The dev added a pay as you go premium feature which seems to be tied to how much data it uses.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Radbot posted:

Anyone else think that DoggCatcher is still a better podcast app than PocketCasts?

If I wasn't going to use PocketCasts because of options, I would use BeyondPod, which was what I was using and happy with before the redesign.

DoggCatcher is ugly as hell, and AFAIK you can't get a mixed-media (audio and video) "Unplayed items" playlist, which I can do in both of the others.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Has anyone noticed any weirdness hitting links in Chrome? I have a Nexus 4 on stock 4.2.2 and in exactly one situation I get a weird issue when I hit a link. When I first load someone's rap sheet on SA, hitting a "probation" or "ban" that links to the post ends up actually clicking a link or blank space further down, as if the page scrolled like 1/4 of the way down or so. After it does that once, it clicks perfectly. If you have Chrome as the default to handle these links, it's hard to notice; if you see that you went to the wrong place and hit back, it won't have this problem again and you'll probably think you hit the wrong link.

This doesn't happen using Firefox and I haven't ever noticed any other touch errors. It doesn't happen on the main forums page or other link-heavy pages like CNN's desktop site. I'm just kind of curious if this is something anyone else has noticed or has any plausible explanations besides

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RVProfootballer posted:

Has anyone noticed any weirdness hitting links in Chrome? I have a Nexus 4 on stock 4.2.2 and in exactly one situation I get a weird issue when I hit a link. When I first load someone's rap sheet on SA, hitting a "probation" or "ban" that links to the post ends up actually clicking a link or blank space further down, as if the page scrolled like 1/4 of the way down or so. After it does that once, it clicks perfectly. If you have Chrome as the default to handle these links, it's hard to notice; if you see that you went to the wrong place and hit back, it won't have this problem again and you'll probably think you hit the wrong link.

This doesn't happen using Firefox and I haven't ever noticed any other touch errors. It doesn't happen on the main forums page or other link-heavy pages like CNN's desktop site. I'm just kind of curious if this is something anyone else has noticed or has any plausible explanations besides

Why aren't you using Awful Betamax?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Why aren't you using Awful Betamax?

I usually do, but I sometimes use Chrome since attachments and links to specific posts can sometimes be iffy in the app. I also don't think you can see rap sheets in the app, right?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 26, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

AirDroid updated today with a :stare: feature set.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

The dev added a pay as you go premium feature which seems to be tied to how much data it uses.

Yeah I'm really wondering what the gently caress here. Right now I'm not updating AirDroid and may just leave this old version I have on there since it requires a manual update. If he wanted to add all that poo poo it should be a seperate app. It's like game modders, here let me add a whole poo poo ton of stuff to this that is outside the scope of the original.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I'm really wondering what the gently caress here. Right now I'm not updating AirDroid and may just leave this old version I have on there since it requires a manual update. If he wanted to add all that poo poo it should be a seperate app. It's like game modders, here let me add a whole poo poo ton of stuff to this that is outside the scope of the original.

I just updated and skipped the initial prompt to make an airdroid account and it's exactly the same as the previous version just with some bug fixes and a few new features, no idea what you're on about.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
New Permissions it requests:
  • Change network connectivity, disable screen lock, draw over other apps
  • Precise GPS location
  • Directly call phone numbers
  • Modify battery statistics

New features added:
  • Find your phone. Locate your device on a map. Lock it or wipe all data options.
  • Call notification and initiate new call on your android device
  • Remote camera

Given the initiate new calls thing, I can see why it needs the directly call numbers permission, but why is this feature needed in the first place? Why build in the Cerberus-like security features into it? Why does it need to modify battery statistics at all.

It's a bunch of crap that has little to nothing to do with the original feature set that also requires a pretty invasive set of new permissions, on top of wanting us to create an (apparently skippable) account.

DownLikeDisco
Jun 9, 2002

BOP BOP

Gozinbulx posted:

Interesting... I was ignoring all the swype/swiftkey talk cause i dont like the concept (i jut tap the letters) but then you mentioned this. I also type in English and Spanish (sometimes in the same message, Miami :p) and I friggin hate when it corrects "aydua" to "studs" and other crap like that. Do you have to set this setting or is it like this out of the box?

Kinda. In the SwiftKey app we allow you to have up to three languages enabled at once, and we have country-specific language packs such as Spanish (US). Our integration on Samsung devices allows four languages at once. We have some filtering that prevents you from getting predictions that couldn't be written on the current keyboard layout, and there are also a couple of restrictions to do with Chinese.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

With Tweakdeck due to die soon, what are the recommended twitter apps? Ideally I'm looking for something that looks good across my phone (Galaxy S2 running 4.0.3) and tablet (7" Kindle Fire running Cyanogenmod 10.1 (shut up)) and supports multiple accounts. Facebook integration is by no means necessary, it's what drew me to Tweakdeck but I'm really not that bothered about it now.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Party Boat posted:

With Tweakdeck due to die soon, what are the recommended twitter apps? Ideally I'm looking for something that looks good across my phone (Galaxy S2 running 4.0.3) and tablet (7" Kindle Fire running Cyanogenmod 10.1 (shut up)) and supports multiple accounts. Facebook integration is by no means necessary, it's what drew me to Tweakdeck but I'm really not that bothered about it now.
I hardly use twitter myself any more, but your post reminded me of this article: http://android.appstorm.net/general/opinion/whats-the-best-android-twitter-client/

You should be able to get a few tips from that at least.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

New Permissions it requests:
  • Change network connectivity, disable screen lock, draw over other apps
  • Precise GPS location
  • Directly call phone numbers
  • Modify battery statistics

New features added:
  • Find your phone. Locate your device on a map. Lock it or wipe all data options.
  • Call notification and initiate new call on your android device
  • Remote camera

Given the initiate new calls thing, I can see why it needs the directly call numbers permission, but why is this feature needed in the first place? Why build in the Cerberus-like security features into it? Why does it need to modify battery statistics at all.

It's a bunch of crap that has little to nothing to do with the original feature set that also requires a pretty invasive set of new permissions, on top of wanting us to create an (apparently skippable) account.
The Ceberus stuff is easily disabled but I'd argue that a non-root locating and remote wiping function is something every Android could use. The point of AirDroid is to control the device from a computer and adding the phone features is a natural extension of that. Add to it the ability to manage the device without needing to be on the same network and these are all great features and the permissions levels are appropriate for the featureset.

I very seldom use AirDroid (maybe once in the last year) but just having it there is a good thing and a universal sign in is a good thing, not a bad one.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What's a simple app for playing Xvid movies on a Nexus 7?

I gave a file to my mother that played fine on my GS3 but apparently the Nexus 7 doesn't support Xvid with the default Android player. :(

She's got a international flight tomorrow so would be good if she had some of her own stuff to watch through not just whatever's provided.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

MX player or dice player are usually the go-to apps of the thread

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks, those look good.

Edit: MX Player had sound but no video, Diceplayer works perfectly for it.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 26, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Google amended their developer policies, firing a shot off at Facebook and their internal update feature that tries to do an end run around the Play store:

quote:

Dangerous Products: Don't transmit viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, malware, or any other items that may introduce security vulnerabilities to or harm user devices, applications, or personal data. We don't allow content that harms, interferes with the operation of, or accesses in an unauthorized manner, networks, servers, or other infrastructure. Apps that collect information (such as the user's location or behavior) without the user's knowledge (spyware), malicious scripts and password phishing scams are also prohibited on Google Play, as are applications that cause users to unknowingly download or install applications from sources outside of Google Play. An app downloaded from Google Play may not modify, replace or update its own APK binary code using any method other than Google Play's update mechanism.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some people are getting angry about how it will affect apps like Nova which let you install beta updates through the app. But what Nova does is different because it actually just downloads the new APK through the normal file download mechanism. And when you install it, you do it through the normal Android APK installer popup thing. That's not at all the same thing as an app updating it's own code through a built in self-patcher as Facebook was.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

Some people are getting angry about how it will affect apps like Nova which let you install beta updates through the app. But what Nova does is different because it actually just downloads the new APK through the normal file download mechanism. And when you install it, you do it through the normal Android APK installer popup thing. That's not at all the same thing as an app updating it's own code through a built in self-patcher as Facebook was.

That's still different from the built in play update function, but I really doubt Google cares about that since it's a hidden feature that's off by default and only really applies to power users.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

That's still different from the built in play update function, but I really doubt Google cares about that since it's a hidden feature that's off by default and only really applies to power users.
I'd still argue that the app does not "modify, replace or update its own APK binary code". The OS is doing the modify/replace/update part, through the APK installer, after the user clicked on a downloaded APK. All the app did was download an APK.

I also definitely agree with the sentiment that they aren't after those apps anyway. I just find it amusing that blog commenters will whine about anything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

I came back to PocketCasts after the Google Reader closing announcement, and it was good for a while, then I noticed that it stopped updating some podcasts. Astronomy cast hasn't had any new episodes downloaded since February 14th, despite there being new episodes posted on their website, and Science Friday stopped showing up in PC after April 12th. I've emailed the dev twice now, and he/they was/were always very responsive in the past, but not so much now. Kinda disappointed.

Thermopyle posted:

Just emailed them about this as well.

I was looking at this in more detail, and it looks like Pocket Casts gets its Astronomy Cast feed from itunes. It has all the episodes (in addition to the Weekly Space Hangouts), but itunes has the dates wrong for some reason, and that's the dates that are displayed in Pocket Casts.

For example, the latest regular podcast is "Ep. 293: Earthquakes", which is displayed as 2/10/2013 on the itunes site and in PocketCasts. On the Astronomy Casts website (and RSS feeds) the latest episode is also "Ep. 293: Earthquakes" with a date of 4/12/2013.

No idea what's going on with that, but I'll ask Fraser Cain.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Zom Aur posted:

I hardly use twitter myself any more, but your post reminded me of this article: http://android.appstorm.net/general/opinion/whats-the-best-android-twitter-client/

You should be able to get a few tips from that at least.

Thanks, this was useful to help me figure out what would work for me - going to give Plume a try for a bit.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I uninstalled Plume back in January after it sprung pop-under video ads on me. I don't mind banner ads at all, but that was just too much. I don't know if they've removed the pop-unders in the newer version, but I just use Janetter now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Twicca is my favorite. Nice simple interface, lets you assign color labels to followed accounts for easier browsing and has a bunch of neat plugins that add functionality.

e: link

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 27, 2013

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

I uninstalled Plume back in January after it sprung pop-under video ads on me. I don't mind banner ads at all, but that was just too much. I don't know if they've removed the pop-unders in the newer version, but I just use Janetter now.

I don't go into the app that often because I mostly just consume stuff via the widget, but I've never seen a video ad. You're sure it was Plume doing it?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mercury Hat posted:

I've been using plume for a while now and its never done that.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

VodeAndreas posted:

Edit: MX Player had sound but no video, Diceplayer works perfectly for it.

On MX, the button to the left of the audio track icon lets you pick between hardware and software decoding. If one doesn't give you a picture, the other should.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For Twitter clients, I prefer Tweetings. I like how it handles inline images, and I love the fact that it has filters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

I was looking at this in more detail, and it looks like Pocket Casts gets its Astronomy Cast feed from itunes. It has all the episodes (in addition to the Weekly Space Hangouts), but itunes has the dates wrong for some reason, and that's the dates that are displayed in Pocket Casts.

For example, the latest regular podcast is "Ep. 293: Earthquakes", which is displayed as 2/10/2013 on the itunes site and in PocketCasts. On the Astronomy Casts website (and RSS feeds) the latest episode is also "Ep. 293: Earthquakes" with a date of 4/12/2013.

No idea what's going on with that, but I'll ask Fraser Cain.

Y'know, I bet it has to do with how Astronomy Cast wants to keep stated episode date continuity, despite having gaps in their actual recording. That is, if they make a recording January 1, but then skip three weeks, the next recording will happen on January 28, but have a date of January 8. However, they've done that for a couple years at least, and I hadn't had this problem before.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Doodarazumas posted:

I don't go into the app that often because I mostly just consume stuff via the widget, but I've never seen a video ad. You're sure it was Plume doing it?

They'd pop up when I was reading my timeline in the app itself and I remember a few other reviews on the Play page at the time saying the same. They might have dumped them fairly quickly, it was several months ago, I never really went back to check v:v:v .

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is side loading Google wallet something that's possible on a Verizon phone?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What are the major differences between Google's Play Store and the Amazon App store?

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

OperaMouse posted:

What are the major differences between Google's Play Store and the Amazon App store?

Number of apps available on play is much higher and all the categories (books & movies etc) are available from within the Play Store app whereas the Amazon App store is exclusively Apps. Sometimes the free app of the day is worthwhile though.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Supposedly the smaller app selection is because Amazon has tighter quality standards for the apps it offers. Also, not every device is allowed to carry Google Play, but any Android device can install the Amazon store.

While that means they didn't have the half-dozen fake Temple Run 2s earlier this year that Google Play was slammed with, the downside of the Amazon hand-holding-for-beginners approach should be obvious: Eventually, you're going to discover that a lot of things you might want or need just aren't going to be there. The Awful app, for instance, which I understand has been turned down several times. Some of the other things they leave out are even more ridiculous.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 27, 2013

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apps from the Amazon App Store REQUIRE you to keep the Amazon App Store App installed in order to use/play them.

For me, it's not worth checking the crap every day, hoping to find something good, so I just ditched it. Since I only had a handful of apps from there, it was no big loss for me.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've also found the amazon app store slow and to have a lovely interface. And apps have to be installed one by one manually once they download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, lately when I try to update certain apps (Instagram, Chrome Beta, and a few others) I get an "insufficient storage available" error. But, the thing is that I have 6 gigs of storage left and 99% of my apps update fine. I can also install basically any app that I want. What gives?

So, I've spent a few hours searching various android forums, trying various things to try to fix this, but NOTHING seems to work. Anyone have any ideas? I've uninstalled and cleaned up enough old junk to bring me to somewhere around 8.5 gigs, but I'm still getting that error. I seem to be able to install anything from the market EXCEPT one of the apps that are failing to update.

• Locked thread