Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh, yeah, but it's piggybacked on another mod (I do that a lot)--in this case, the "More Realistic Aiming" .esp If you want, you can just pop open a pluging in GECK and make changes to the following three "Game Setting" values, which have the greatest effect:

code:
fGunSpreadCrouchMult (originally -0.4; changed to -0.25)
fWeapStrengthReqPenalty (originally 0.025; changed to 0.05)
fWeapSkillPenalty (originally 0.01; changed to 0.03)
Basically, the closer to "0" you are, the more accurate you will be. Between the benefits from using iron sights (-0.6) and crouching (-0.4), your accuracy with a given weapon is the same at skill level 1 and 100. Other factors can contribute to accuracy loss (broken arms, insufficient strength, etc.) but a majority of the time, using the two things that you're always equipped with--the ability to crouch and look through your sights--completely trivializes the other effects and penalties.

I somewhat reduced the "is crouching" accuracy bonus. At -0.25, it still has a decent effect on accuracy, but it won't accommodate for completely insufficient strength or skill.

Also, the original strength penalty was too low, in my opinion. At 0.025, even if a STR "1" person was using a STR "10" weapon (something that basically never, ever happens), the penalty (0.23) didn't have much of an effect if you just crouched and aimed. Doubling it puts the maximum penalty at 0.45, which means that lacking 2 or 3 STR points in a weapon might actually be noticeable now. If it's still too subtle, setting it to something like 0.07 or 0.08 should yield some tangible effects.

Finally, the original skill penalty (0.01) could have a pronounced effect at the greatest extremes, but you're probably never going to have ~1 in a given weapon skill--especially when you're trying to use Skill 100 weapons. Tripling the value to 0.03 might be a little extreme--you might try 0.02 as a good compromise--but I'm really satisfied that my 4 STR, 15 "Guns" egghead can't use an AMR to hit the broad side of a barn, even when he's crouching and aiming.

You might want to try modifying "fUnaimedSpreadPenalty" (originally 0.2) if you want to increase the penalty to hipfire, too.

I'll play around with these, awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

escalator dropdown posted:

I don't think I was last night, but I just did and that didn't change anything. Still crash immediately on load after entering the first elevator in Outpost Lambda, using FNV4G. Had just restarted my computer and didn't have any other programs using resources either. My computer isn't that bad, either, runs most things on fairly high settings just fine. Guess I'm just going to load up an earlier save and ditch The Inheritance.

Did a little more investigating - It's a known problem, but it's really erratic how it hits. One person reported success by dialing every in-game setting down to minimum, graphics and the like to get him through the problem spot (i.e. Lambda) I guess you'll have to until/unless someone comes up with a good workaround. Author's said he's working on a patch so maybe check back later.

Interesting you've got it at the first elevator, because I'm also seeing people complain about the second one. Something weird with that outpost I guess.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Heck yeah, Nevada Skies finally updated its URWLified version. And WMX's creator decided to finally give us an all-in-one megadownload so you don't have to get 15 different packages each time you install! :toot:

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Psion posted:

Did a little more investigating - It's a known problem, but it's really erratic how it hits. One person reported success by dialing every in-game setting down to minimum, graphics and the like to get him through the problem spot (i.e. Lambda) I guess you'll have to until/unless someone comes up with a good workaround. Author's said he's working on a patch so maybe check back later.

Interesting you've got it at the first elevator, because I'm also seeing people complain about the second one. Something weird with that outpost I guess.

Yeah -- based on comments on Nexus, I assumed that I was crashing because it was loading a shitton of ghouls, but I watched a walkthrough and apparently they don't show up until the second elevator. :shrug:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Unfortunately, I think the form IDs are messed up, since player.additem isn't working at all, either with 01 or 89 (which is the hex number for the load order). I'm also using Nexus Mod Manager, not FOMM.

Stop using Nexus Mod Manager then, it's a piece of poo poo. Use FOMM, it lists the index number (in hex, it's always in hex) properly. You lack the ability to search like you can in skyrim, but you can do this:

Buy Mod
drop out of inventory
open console. click mod item, type prid, hit enter
type gbo into console, hit enter
you'll be returned the base ObjID. the first two digits are the mod index.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I finally got around to playing Beyond Boulder Dome:

God drat those Chinese ghouls are offensive charicatures. :stare:

Also, it took me a while, but I finally figured out what BBD feels like: Fallout 3.

It's not godawful and terrible, but I have felt the urge to say gently caress it and coc Goodsprings.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a good way to get the Classic Overhaul compatible with Sawyer's Mod? There's some things I like in both mods, is there a good way to combine bits and pieces?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

StashAugustine posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a good way to get the Classic Overhaul compatible with Sawyer's Mod? There's some things I like in both mods, is there a good way to combine bits and pieces?

RTFM

It is compatible out of the box and has a number of compatibility patches.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I just discovered that apparently it's possible to mod NV for Xbox 360. Has anyone done anything with this? How easy is it to do, and are there any mod recommendations for it?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Ballz posted:

I just discovered that apparently it's possible to mod NV for Xbox 360. Has anyone done anything with this? How easy is it to do, and are there any mod recommendations for it?

I've seen videos of people "modding" Fallout 3 before. They just edit their save files to give themselves a bunch of items or altered stats. It's not so much mods as it is using console commands through save editing.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what mod was it that was meant to be a community patch that changed alot of crap it shouldn't have? Mission Mojave right? Decided to just make a list of mods to AVOID at all times.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Odd question, but does anyone know if there's a mod that allows you to barter with random NPC's for their inventory a la Fallout 1?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

xanthan posted:

So what mod was it that was meant to be a community patch that changed alot of crap it shouldn't have? Mission Mojave right? Decided to just make a list of mods to AVOID at all times.

That's the one. I never had a huge problem with it though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

xanthan posted:

A bigger problem with Mission Mojave it is build of the old Community Patch and contains a lot of completely undocumented changes, introduced new bugs and completely unnecessary fixes and can cause instability.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Mission Mojave, if I recall right, was the mod that changed the gender of the skeletons-in-suits enemies in OWB from female to male, despite that not actually having any negative impact on the game (I could totally be remembering that wrong). Dumb poo poo like that combined with it just sort of being mediocre is what gives it it's bad reputation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raygereio posted:

A bigger problem with Mission Mojave it is build of the old Community Patch and contains a lot of completely undocumented changes, introduced new bugs and completely unnecessary fixes and can cause instability.

What should we use then? I don't want to have to apply a thousand tiny fixes individually.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Lone Badger posted:

What should we use then? I don't want to have to apply a thousand tiny fixes individually.

Jsawyer.esp. Vanilla New Vegas surprisingly doesn't need a multitude of huge unofficial patches like Bethesda games proper.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

*shrug* None of the bugfix compilations.
They do fix some stuff, but I'm not aware of one that doesn't have the problems I mentioned. Fallout 3 and New Vegas sadly just don't have decent unofficial patches like there are for Oblivion and Skyrim. And - as Gyshall already said - New Vegas isn't that terribly buggy, so they aren't really necessary.

That said, while you won't need thousands of individual fixes to play NV. Some small fixes can still be very usefull. For example if you're in the habit of using enery weapons, I strongly recommend a mod that removes the ash piles you leave behind (link).

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013
Do you guys know how EVE works with Ephemeral Ash and Goo? I assume because EVE energy weapon critical deaths can create different types of remains (not just plain ash and goo piles), that fix will not work properly. I've not combed through all of EVE's features in a long time though. It might have a script to remove its corpse remains for all I know.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Could anyone tell me if they would recommend Freeside Restoration?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Huh, didn't know that was a thing so can't comment either way. Freeside Open is very good and restores Freeside to being a single zone again, if that's you're looking for. The same author's Outside Bets mod is good, too.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Well, I'm interested in The Restoration mod because it has additional interiors and makes the place feel a bit more lively. Also, I've heard bad things about Freeside Open.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

On that note, how about New Vegas Restoration? Any good?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

v1ld posted:

Huh, didn't know that was a thing so can't comment either way. Freeside Open is very good and restores Freeside to being a single zone again, if that's you're looking for. The same author's Outside Bets mod is good, too.

I can vouch that this mod is good. Keep in mind :gamebryo: and if you're running a bunch of texture/NPC mods, it might choke up, but it is one of the only "content restoring" mods I use.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Timeless Appeal posted:

I enjoyed what I did manage to play, but after a while I ran into a problem where I would crash about a minute after loading a save. It didn't matter where I was or what I did, but the crashing was constant, and it only stopped when I disabled the mod.

For all I know though there was some conflict that I wasn't aware of and didn't really investigate so YMMV.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I can vouch that this mod is good. Keep in mind :gamebryo: and if you're running a bunch of texture/NPC mods, it might choke up, but it is one of the only "content restoring" mods I use.
Quoted for emphasis.
Test if Freeside Open can run properly on your hardware without a lot of stuttering and freezing before comitting to a playthrough, because you can't properly uninstall it.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Raygereio posted:

Quoted for emphasis.
Test if Freeside Open can run properly on your hardware without a lot of stuttering and freezing before comitting to a playthrough, because you can't properly uninstall it.

Do this, what he said.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You can't properly uninstall Freeside Open? Really? What does it do when you install it that makes it such a problem? Legitimately curious.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
does anyone know how to find out the name of a cell from within the game? I need to know exactly where I am.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does anyone know how to find out the name of a cell from within the game? I need to know exactly where I am.

Open the console, type “Player.GetPos X” and “Player.GetPos Y” to get your X,Y values, then divide those values by 4096. The rounded result is the X,Y cell location of the cell in the GECK's "Cell View" window location tab.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You can't properly uninstall Freeside Open? Really? What does it do when you install it that makes it such a problem? Legitimately curious.
Replacing multiple cells with one cell and then reverting back to multiple cells in the same save profile has very serious side effects, including but not limited to NPCs being in two different places while using the same refID which leads to hilarious consequences: crashing if you're lucky, irreversible save game corruption if you aren't.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Replacing multiple cells with one cell and then reverting back to multiple cells in the same save profile has very serious side effects, including but not limited to NPCs being in two different places while using the same refID which leads to hilarious consequences: crashing if you're lucky, irreversible save game corruption if you aren't.

Oooh I see, for some reason I was reading the advisories as "this will gently caress up your install" rather than "this will gently caress up your save file".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The save file keeps information about the areas that have been loaded in your game, such as the location of items you leave behind and the location of NPCs.

Take the Mormon Fort as an example:
In vanille New Vegas the interior of the Mormon Fort is its own seperate cell behind a loading door. And in the Freeside cell, there's just an empty field behind those walls.
Freeside Open removes that loading door and places everything that was inside that seperate cell into that empty field.
If you had already visited the vanille Mormon Fort previously, then install Freeside Open and try to visit Julie Farkas, you'll be presented with a deserted area because your save file will have the location of all of those NPCs in the vanilla Mormon Fort cell.

Installing and/or removing a mod that completely replaces areas before the area that the mod replaces has been loaded in your save, should be fine though.

Edit: Really ought to refresh the page before posting.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 29, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oooh I see, for some reason I was reading the advisories as "this will gently caress up your install" rather than "this will gently caress up your save file".

Yeah I don't think it's possible to gently caress up your install unless you go and start replacing the executable or something. But it's a pretty safe assumption that trying to uninstall a large mod will gently caress up any saves that were using it.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
What causes textures to be 'wrapped' improperly?

I'm using the weapon retexture mod along with a boat load of other things in TTW and everything actually works really well, except the 357's texture is all messed up. The texture is definitely right, because when I add the hd mod for example I can see the added gold filigree, it's just that its all over and warped across the grip instead of the cylinder.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kuno posted:

What causes textures to be 'wrapped' improperly?

I'm using the weapon retexture mod along with a boat load of other things in TTW and everything actually works really well, except the 357's texture is all messed up. The texture is definitely right, because when I add the hd mod for example I can see the added gold filigree, it's just that its all over and warped across the grip instead of the cylinder.

Missing mesh, maybe?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Open the console, type “Player.GetPos X” and “Player.GetPos Y” to get your X,Y values, then divide those values by 4096. The rounded result is the X,Y cell location of the cell in the GECK's "Cell View" window location tab.

No, I'm in a mod area. I got the Boulder Dome mod and it keeps crashing so I just want to write down where I am so I can go back whenever it's fixed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

No, I'm in a mod area. I got the Boulder Dome mod and it keeps crashing so I just want to write down where I am so I can go back whenever it's fixed.

Do what I did, grab the new vegas cheat terminal mod and use the mark and recall function.

Edit: also, BBD doesn't get better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know it's cheating, but I seriously can't play through the game without the underwater hideout anymore. It's too awesome and the emergent game challenge of filling every slot on the weapons wall and dressing the mannequins in every faction's top armor is too much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
http://www.newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/50172

Released a 9A-91 :v: